Graham's Review of Yamato 1/60 Scale YF-19

Graham

Women cost even more than Yamato's, but you didn't swear off girls after your first two break-ups did you?

[chauvinistic as s]Yeah, but how many times do you tolerate the same girl breaking down and costing you money before you move on to the next one? If we're going with Yamato and a girl analogy right now she's the kinda chick that looks hot at the club but sucks in bed... but maybe she just needs to get a little more into her comfort zone so it's too early to kick her to the curb just yet. Maybe you just bang her when she's drunk and cheap and hold off on the relationship until you can tell she's more ready or that her hot friend really isn't into you.

[/chauvinistic as s]

Edited by jenius

I don't any Yammies yet - planning on getting a VF-0 and SV-51 though - so I can't comment on their (lack of) durability, but this is a rediculous request.

The materials they use, ABS, POM, etc., are all relatively cheap materials to process.

If you'd use machined aluminium the prices of the toys would skyrocket well beyond the $500 mark, perhaps above $1000, with current production numbers in mind.

When they're expect to sell even less toys, the developement and production cost needs to be spread over even smaller volumes, meaning yet another price hike.

The production costs would simply be too high for the toys to remain marketable.

What seems to be the problem is that the material on some parts is too brittle for 'heavy' usage.

You could make the plastics less brittle with using a different mold tempering process, but then you'd loose some strength and gain elasticity and plasticity.

It's the complexity of the toys themselves that are the biggest problem, I reckon.

A lot of mass needs to be held together with comparatively little components.

i don't think it's a ridiculous request. the toy doesn't need to be 100% metal. how hard is it to include small diecast parts in a couple of key areas that are prone to breaking? that's in fact what yamato has already been doing with past releases. i wish the grey plastic under the nose where everyone gets stress marks was made of diecast or some kind of metal. i think changing the material on such a small part would not affect the price of the toy at all.

i don't think it's a ridiculous request. the toy doesn't need to be 100% metal. how hard is it to include small diecast parts in a couple of key areas that are prone to breaking?

I'm not talking about diecast metal, which is a lot more doable costwise, but machined aluminium.

Aluminium is much more expensive than diecast grade steel.

However, the biggest kicker is the machining process.

Machining is an expensive method to shape materials. The casting process costs only a tiny fraction of that.

I probably jumped on it in a too litteral context though, but I just wanted to make that clear.

Maybe i'm fortunate too, but i've never had problems transforming mine either, no cracks, no breakage. I can transform the YF-19 wicked fast.

same here, it take less than 3 minutes to TF it if even that. as weird as the YF-19 is, the transformation is pretty easy/simple/straightforward compared to the VF-0 and VF-1....its just all sorts of awesome!

someone said they're going to buy my last one but i think i'm gonna keep that sucker for myself. :ph34r:

Why would you swear off Yamato after two bad experiences?

Women cost even more than Yamato's, but you didn't swear off girls after your first two break-ups did you?

j/k

:p

Women cost a lot but they provide a special return, break up is more of a euphamism for selling the toy when you get bored, not having the toy break on you and throwing it away. IF both relationships the girls got fat ugly battyy cheated on you and then became shallow and meterialistic (in essence "breaking") then it might be a cause for you to evaluate yourself and wonder if you should chill on relationships for awhile.

Honestly the VF-11 hips breaking was heart breaking since for me at the time was the most expensive toy i ever purchased. The YF-21 with the floppy hips and backpack just made me stay clear of Yamato for awhile (at which time i missed the 1/60 VF-1) and i just recently picked Yamato back up with the VF-0S.

you know... if this yf-19 fuselage breaking business becomes as bad as the VF-0 shoulder business... I'm not buying any more yamatos until they yamato-usa starts supporting them. I'm not forking over this much money to enjoy a toy for 2 months before parts start breaking.

There's plenty of other things I can spend my money on then expensive transforming toys that I can't transform because some critical stress bearing joint was given the el cheapo treatment.

Well I got mine

Last Person to Get one

Why does one pre-order? Cause you want it quick. Why does one go with a group buy? Cause you want it quick but not so quick that you'll not willing to pass up a good deal. Still mine came a week after everyone's else. Why? The scaler (see the 'For Sell section' misplaced my under. When you use a new seller no matter how much good rep they are getting from others you are taking a risk. There's no filling a claim with ebay it's just you and the seller. An internet search indicated the seller was a businessman not just a guy who could get us a great deal. Still this was the test to decide if I'd order from him in the future. Having my order lost doesn't encourage me in this. When he told me he never got a payment. I was worried. Are there none left? Does this mean I get my money back and have to find one from someone else? Is he never going to give my money back? Why am I so lucky? What does he mean show proof? Well here's your proof. Oh he's sorry and sending it out tommorrow. This doesn't help my confidence.

Word is he forgot to send an item to a flake which some might consider karma. Difference is I wasn't a flake. Do I think that a certain flake's behavior may have rubbed the seller bad in that it would show it his first response back to me? Why yes. The seller should have noticed a few things. Besides having an extra toy he should have noticed that he had extra money. You check the books. I got the toy after showing proof a week later but it was the least that the seller had to do. I can not praise him for excellent service like some have been doing because the service I got was pretty average after the mistake. If I was pleased with the service I'd be using him all the time. Now I'll be willing to give other sellers here a try. When I find one that treats me right they'll likely get most of my business. If they all treat me the same then they'll each get my business. He didn't lose a customer but he didn't gain an exclusive one either.

Transforming Woes

When I first took it out of the plasic the legs and wings started coming out so decided to transform it. When I got the fuslage and it didn't move at first I stopped what I was doing. Sat in front of the computer to watch Graham's video. I watched that part a couple of times. Each time holding back my effort until I was sure of things. Then it happen "pop". I wasn't forcing or dropping things! What's the noise? Did it break are the stories true? The part moved like it should on an attempt I wasn't expecting it to. After that first transformation I noticed the stress marks everyone's talking about. Taking a screw driver I loosen the screws and used a file on the tabs. I believe the stress marks had to do with the screws being too tight and the lack of a washer where one is needed. I think I could still transform it again without doing the fix but since it is a easy, harmless fix I did it anyways. The next transformation was easier. As for other problems I really don't notice or care that enough to think the shoulder gap is a big deal. Same goes for the angle of the gunpod and landing gear. That's stuff is minor.

1/60 vs the 1/72

You know I think the 1/60 VF-1 really needed the make over. While pretty decent looking in fighter mode it was pretty blah in battroid mode. Small head and looked inmobile. In the large 1/48 scale its a totally improved toy. The larger YF-19 is bigger, has some new details but I don't see it as a major improvement from the smaller scale one. Still a great looking toy but the newer version wasn't as needed as the one for the VF-1 was.

I believe the stress marks had to do with the screws being too tight and the lack of a washer where one is needed.

I've actually been thinking that myself judging by how the stress marks are located....

And I'm not dissing you or anything, but I find it funny that you would have rathered another VF-1 toy instead of a different design...

Didn't Yamato have people return the YF-21's because they could not transform them and then Yamato returned the valk in a different mode just to prove it could be transformed?

Yet, if you have to eat your boots will it be on video? :lol:

David, you should send me your 1/60 YF-19. If I can't easily transform it, I'll eat my boots. :D

The only Yamato toy I've ever had difficulty transforming was one YF-21 FP.

Graham

I got a question about the yf-19 1/60 fast-pack

in Macros Plus, there's a scene where he test a missile launcher in a pack mounted on the arms (not the shoulders), and he shoots some sort of 'energy ball' to a Monster and blows it up... you can see the yf-19 is wearing the fast packs cause it has it's shoulder thingy...

does this add-on for the arms come with the fast packs?? 'cause I don't see them in picture provided several post before...

I got a question about the yf-19 1/60 fast-pack

in Macros Plus, there's a scene where he test a missile launcher in a pack mounted on the arms (not the shoulders), and he shoots some sort of 'energy ball' to a Monster and blows it up... you can see the yf-19 is wearing the fast packs cause it has it's shoulder thingy...

does this add-on for the arms come with the fast packs?? 'cause I don't see them in picture provided several post before...

From Graham's Interview with Yamato "The Heavy Arm Weapon is not planned at this time, due to lack of any official line-art."

I'm not sure if that's the same weapon but it may very well be.

I've wondered about that myself. There's no official line-art, yet it appears in the anime, so how can you be more official than that?

I believe it said around "May-time" from the February issue of Hobby Japan

May?!?

I need to get some cash, that's when the Shin/booster is released which I pre-ordered.

You're talking about the YF-19/booster combo right.

I'm going with the 19/booster combo because, that way, I'll be sure to get a second production run version of the 19 which might have some fixes. Don't actually care for the booster or the FAST packs.

I'm going with the 19/booster combo because, that way, I'll be sure to get a second production run version of the 19 which might have some fixes. Don't actually care for the booster or the FAST packs

Crap, did I miss something? They've stated they're going to do a gift-set with the YF-19 and Fold Booster? I hadn't heard that!

My big debate lately has been if I should pre-order the urban camo GBP with the Shin/Ghost Giftset. I don't know if I want to wait that long to get my GBP since they'd ship together! :D

May?!?

I need to get some cash, that's when the Shin/booster is released which I pre-ordered.

You're talking about the YF-19/booster combo right.

I'm going with the 19/booster combo because, that way, I'll be sure to get a second production run version of the 19 which might have some fixes. Don't actually care for the booster or the FAST packs.

From what I read, it stated that (paraphrased) for those who missed the opportunity, the set (with yf-19) will be coming in May.

^_^ Simply can't wait

P.S. Graham's update stated the following:

YF-19 Fold Booster

Yamato confirmed that the YF-19 Fold Booster will feature LEDs, but no sound chip, as it does not make any sound in the anime. My source will get back to me with confirmation of the LED colors. So keep watching for updates.

It was also confirmed that the Fold Booster & FAST Pack set will be released both separately and as a set together with the YF-19.

Edited by AlphaOne

That's what I find weird about it. If they're gonna release it in may, shouldn't it be up for pre-order already?

Yeah, I've been shopping a lot lately and I haven't come across it yet but Shin's is due at the same time and it's everywhere. Now, personally, I think Shin's giftset will get delayed. This is Murphy's law. Every time I do a bulk pre-order at least one of the items gets delayed holding up my entire order. Since Shin's will be the last item that's supposed to come in... I predict it won't actually be released until July. Back on track, no word of a YF-19 giftset but I'm glad you told me about it because I almost bought the stand alone one but now I'll gladly wait :D

Finally got mine from BBTS yesterday. A beautiful piece. The locking in fighter mode is so so... Didn't try gerwalk yet, but Battroid mode is nice, floppy upper chest, but good nonetheless.

Cockpit doesn't close tight nor does the nose lock into position.

Minor flaws IMHO. Very worth the wait.

Had the same problem with the nose and cockpit canopy. I was able to play with them to get it to fit. It has to do with getting the canopy hingle inside the nose.

Finally got mine from BBTS yesterday. A beautiful piece. The locking in fighter mode is so so... Didn't try gerwalk yet, but Battroid mode is nice, floppy upper chest, but good nonetheless.

Cockpit doesn't close tight nor does the nose lock into position.

Minor flaws IMHO. Very worth the wait.