macross Series on DVD

eight_car

Why would AnimEgo do a bad job on the subbing? Do you mean Translation wise is it good? or the appeal of the subtitles themselves?

The subtitles are old school in big yellow with black outlined font for easy viewing and it's very well translated.

However AnimEgo has lost the rights to the series which is now with ADV.

Why would AnimEgo do a bad job on the subbing? Do you mean Translation wise is it good? or the appeal of the subtitles themselves?

The subtitles are old school in big yellow with black outlined font for easy viewing and it's very well translated.

However AnimEgo has lost the rights to the series which is now with ADV.

As long as it is well translated.

I have heard that Macross Zero had crappy subtitles so that may have runied it for me.

I used to love Robotech until I started finding out more and more about Macross.

I saw DYRL and thought it was great and really want to get the Macross series but want a GOOD translation so it doesn't get ruined for me.

Robotech.com has the series on sale for $39.99 and as far as I know it's the ADV release of the Animeigo set (used to sell for $199.99). I have it but I haven't opened it up yet to watch an episode. From what I understand, it's the best subtitles you're gonna find.

The AnimEigo subtitles were great, only complaints being a couple of odd pop-culture references thrown in, but nothing that takes anything out of context. Only downside to this set is that a good share of the DVD's themselves seem to be cracking with age. Benefit to this set, superior Japanese audio.

ADV's current release is near identical, slightly tweaked translation, but nothing greatly different, and inferior Japanese audio. Benefit, assumedly they won't crack with age.

The AnimEigo subtitles were great, only complaints being a couple of odd pop-culture references thrown in, but nothing that takes anything out of context. Only downside to this set is that a good share of the DVD's themselves seem to be cracking with age. Benefit to this set, superior Japanese audio.

ADV's current release is near identical, slightly tweaked translation, but nothing greatly different, and inferior Japanese audio. Benefit, assumedly they won't crack with age.

So would you say the best bet would be to try and get the older set and imediately copy to DVD thereby getting the better sound and having a set that won't crack?

As long as it is well translated.

I have heard that Macross Zero had crappy subtitles so that may have runied it for me.

I used to love Robotech until I started finding out more and more about Macross.

I saw DYRL and thought it was great and really want to get the Macross series but want a GOOD translation so it doesn't get ruined for me.

Considering M0 is only around in HK DVD or fansubs, I don't see how you can compare Animeigo's work to M0. There is no official copy of M0 out so I don't see how they could be compared (for that matter, there is no official version of DYRL?, as I take it you watched a version with Hurin's subtitle addon).

Animeigo is a waste of time (perhaps money as well). ADV's release of the series is perfectly fine and is a good grab for anybody who missed the Animeigo release. The ADV release is readily avaliable, so don't waste time hunting for Animeigo's release.

I don't want to start any flame wars (from which i read for about 2 weeks before I posted anything on here, so if our opinions on series differ - not trying to make waves, just trying to explain things) but I hope Macross Zero is better than the stuff I found on the net.

I found DYRL subtitled on the net and thought it was good

I own VHS Mac II Movie (Eng dubbed - before I got smart and started to like original Japaneese with subtitles)

I own VHS macross pluss OVA 4 VHS tapes Eng dubbed (also have the movie in japaneese, friend has yet to return it so i can watch that ... grrr)

I found Macross 7 (with all extras, 2 extra ova eps, movie, Miss Dynamite) subtitled and like it too.

I find that good subtitles make macross better to watch than Eng dubbed stuff ( BETTER MUSIC AND SOUND FOR IT! )

I hope they do a GOOD subtitle of mac Zero so i can give it another chance.

This is why I want a GOOD subtitled macross Series to watch!

I hope they do a GOOD subtitle of mac Zero so i can give it another chance.

This is why I want a GOOD subtitled macross Series to watch!

Seeing though the likely hood of Macross Zero or DYRL to be released in the states in perfect translation is slim to none, and when I mean slim to none, I really mean never,you can either stick with the fansubs or the HK bootlegs, there's no use battying bout poor subs or whatever, you take what you can get and enjoy for what it's worth.

Animeigo is a waste of time (perhaps money as well). ADV's release of the series is perfectly fine and is a good grab for anybody who missed the Animeigo release. The ADV release is readily avaliable, so don't waste time hunting for Animeigo's release.

I've taken VERY good care of my AnimEgo sets since they were an important christmas present from many years ago. However I have not had any cracks or defects to my DVD's at all, not even a spec of scratched labeling.....not too mention the set is no longer in production, while it might not hold an economical price tag it does however hold an emotional price tag.

As for ADV, they can lick my crack....I never plan on buying DVD's from them again after re-releasing so many titles calling it the "perfect set" and then doing ANOTHER one adding one more stupid commentary or sketch or whatever. I don't even wanna think of a "Perfect-culture DVD Boxset" or something lame like that for Macross.....

Genon, Funimation, Manga, Bandai and Media Blastors are the only companies I'll ever buy stuff from.

If you want to the entire Macross TV series, right then and now, AnimEgo, if you wanna wait and buy volume by volume ADV.

if you wanna wait and buy volume by volume ADV.

Huh? ADV put out the ENTIRE series and it's available for $39.99. I think you'll have to wait a long time to get that from the Animeigo set. If what I'm reading here is true, here's how it sets up:

ADV Pros: Available here

1) Price

2) Availability

3) Build of DVDs

4) Near perfect subtitles

ADV Cons:

1) Sounds may not be remastered to the same degree as the animeigo set.

Animeigo Pros

1) Near perfect subtitles (no one will ever think subs are perfect)

2) Better sound than ADV

3) Cool 3D card

What it really burns down to is how much of a premium are you willing to pay for a 3D card and slightly better sound? Remember, this is in an 80s TV cartoon. It seems like your biggest issue is the clarity of the translation and these two sets are professional subtitle jobs with nearly the same precision... either choice will flow very well for you.

Edited by jenius

This is scary. I'm going to agree with Azrael and Roy...at the same time!

Armaggeddon is nigh! :p

The Animeigo set was a treasure when first released because it was fully sound/video remastered and had the best subtitles. And it was, finally, a proper North American release of the original SDF Macross.

Now, the series is seeing release from ADV in a cost effective format that takes all the work done from the Animeigo release, adds a new dub (regardless of lacking quality IMO) and includes more special features.

Basically, the Animeigo set was a one time, produced-to-cash-in-on-demand-release. Compared to the ADV set, it's not worth anyone's time unless you can find it cheap. The ADV set will also be the release that will be transferred to the next video format.

It's sad but true. The Animeigo release is second rate now :(

You're joking, right :blink:

At this point in time, seriously, you are wasting money. The quality of film was from the Animeigo-restored masters, so video is the same. Sub quality is about the same. Animeigo took artistic liberties in keeping some of the in-jokes from Egan (and hence the creators), but it's not something people are going to miss. My discs are fine (I think only 1 or 2 discs are cracking, but I've watched them a few times). But really, if you missed the Animeigo release, forget it. Just get the ADV release. It's cheaper (the one jenius posted) and you're getting the same thing. Don't bother wasting time and money on Ebay for it either. It's readily avaliable from ADV.

Huh? ADV put out the ENTIRE series and it's available for $39.99. I think you'll have to wait a long time to get that from the Animeigo set. If what I'm reading here is true, here's how it sets up:

So ADV finished releasing the entire series now? I thought they wer eonly on volume 4 or 5?

So ADV finished releasing the entire series now? I thought they wer eonly on volume 4 or 5?

ADV is doing the dubs, that's probably not done yet. The subtitled version has been available for a long time through the link provided in my last post.

Edited by jenius

I personally never fall into the DVD trap of newer, "better" releases. I buy a series or movie once, that's it. I can miss out on added commentary and extras. Some titles I will wait for knowing that there will probably be a better version.

Macross was the only exception to this rule, but that's only because of the cracking issue with the AnimEigo discs. Okay, I'll admit that getting Mari Iijima to reprise her role as Minmay for the dub helped.

The only ADV title that I can even think of as far as releasing more than one version of a series is Evangelion, but they were merely reflecting the multiple versions that were released in Japan.

At this point in time, seriously, you are wasting money. The quality of film was from the Animeigo-restored masters, so video is the same. Sub quality is about the same. Animeigo took artistic liberties in keeping some of the in-jokes from Egan (and hence the creators), but it's not something people are going to miss. My discs are fine (I think only 1 or 2 discs are cracking, but I've watched them a few times). But really, if you missed the Animeigo release, forget it. Just get the ADV release. It's cheaper (the one jenius posted) and you're getting the same thing. Don't bother wasting time and money on Ebay for it either. It's readily avaliable from ADV.

Yeah, but have you listened to the ADV version? I'm talking about the original Japanese audio. It sounds like it was recorded through a paper bag. The hissing and muffled voices made it practically unwatchable. I really love both DVD sets (Animeigo and ADV) for various reasons, but I would never recommend the ADV set to someone who only wants to watch a subtitled version.

Yeah, but have you listened to the ADV version? I'm talking about the original Japanese audio. It sounds like it was recorded through a paper bag. The hissing and muffled voices made it practically unwatchable. I really love both DVD sets (Animeigo and ADV) for various reasons, but I would never recommend the ADV set to someone who only wants to watch a subtitled version.

If this is true, it's the first I've heard of it. Obviously, my opinion would shift largely in favor of the Animeigo set if this is truly the case. The original japanese audio on the Animeigo set is brilliant. I had assumed ADV would use the same version for it's release.

If this is true, it's the first I've heard of it. Obviously, my opinion would shift largely in favor of the Animeigo set if this is truly the case. The original japanese audio on the Animeigo set is brilliant. I had assumed ADV would use the same version for it's release.

Well, I'll open up my ADV discs and pop one in tonight to verify. I can't imagine the audio is any worse than the horrible HK subtitle Macross I have and the audio in that hack job was just fine. Maybe the Animeigo set is soooooooo superb it creates higher expectations and thus makes the ADV version seem worse than it actually is. Seeing as I've never heard the Animeigo set, I'll probably go into it with low expectations and report back "It sounds like the cartoons I watched on TV" which would be good enough for me. I'll let y'all know later.

I just watched the first three episodes. It's the first time I've been able to see Animeigo's work and Wow... i'm impressed. I just wanted to watch one episode but I couldn't stop myself. Animeigo's name is all over this stuff so I find it hard to believe these aren't EXACTLY the same thing (with new art splashed on the boxes and DVDs). The audio was perfectly fine. Again, I might not be spoiled by having heard the original Animeigo copy but nothing sounded fuzzy or tinny.

Edit - For the most part the subs seem superb... with one glowing exception. Why the heck did they go with the Reguld spelling instead of Regult?

Edited by jenius

For those who recall animeigo's newsletter prior to their original release, during the video restoration process AnimEigo made contact wtih Big West to get the original audio tapes to remasater them. This effort was done independent of the video remaster that HG put up a little money for (and supplied their masters for).

So when AnimEigo lost the license for Macross, the video reverted to HG (since it was apparently in their contract, and HG put up some of the initial money for the remaster), but by all appearances the remastered audio stayed with AnimEigo. Since this time, all mention of AnimEigo's remastered audio has dissapeared from any official info on their set, and likely they're playing it down now since they've no reason to share any more of their work with ADV than they have to.

So what we've got with the ADV release are the audio tapes that HG had in their possession, hence the inferior audio, and yes, it is noticably inferior.

MACROSS - The Complete Remastered Series DVD Set

Macross Box Set - Only $39.99 while Stocks Last

Animeigo Macross Box Set (Left)

+ Superior Cover Art

+ Superior Price at Only $39.99

+ Remastered Sound

+ Perfect Subtitles with Perfect Extras

ADV Macross Box Set (Right)

+ English Dub

+ Same Perfect Subtitles & Extras

- Inferior Cover Art

- Inferior Unremastered Sound Quality

- Expensive Price at around $200

IPB Image VS IPB Image

Edited by Area88

This is the original Animeigo set. So is this just a reissue in new packaging? The item you shown on the right is not being discussed here at all, that's the ADV dub, this was a sub only conversation. It was my understanding that the $39.99 Animeigo set is what we're all calling the ADV subtitle although I just looked on it and I don't see ADV anywhere and I do see Animeigo all over it.

So, quick way to tell, did Animeigo also call Regults "Regulds"?

Edited by jenius

Edit - For the most part the subs seem superb... with one glowing exception. Why the heck did they go with the Reguld spelling instead of Regult?

Because that's what it is in Japanese: リガード. Rigaado is the romanization in modified Hepburn.

The mildly amusing thing is that on pg. 168, of Macross Perfect Memory, next to the Japanese katakana, is 'Regult' in big, block letters. I am, once again, impressed by the language translating abilities of Animeigo.

Edited by sketchley

Well then, given this new information, I'd have to say go with the Animeigo set. The reissue is cheap and the audio is far superior apparently. Learn something new everyday :)

Yeh, that is interesting. It's $39.99 US...I would go with that one. If it's just a reissue of the Animeigo release, I would just get it. It's cheaper and faster than hunting for the 1st pressing on Ebay.