Sony Playstation Portable Thread

twich

Actually the cross storyline play is actually something I find annoying and why I don't own/play new Gundam VS titles anymore either. I'm glad you guys enjoy it though.

Me I like making my pilots old types and playing through with the proper units unless I'm in the extras campaigns trying to unlock features. In all honesty the more units they add from other eras really effect balance too when you take into account cross era and universe interaction which is kind of disappointing as well.

Actually the cross storyline play is actually something I find annoying and why I don't own/play new Gundam VS titles anymore either. I'm glad you guys enjoy it though.

Me I like making my pilots old types and playing through with the proper units unless I'm in the extras campaigns trying to unlock features. In all honesty the more units they add from other eras really effect balance too when you take into account cross era and universe interaction which is kind of disappointing as well.

But what if a Jegan traveled back in time and replaced the original Gundam? What if a Strike Dagger...no, no matter what you do with those, they'll always suck! :)

My brother actually got it so now I've watched him play and played a little myself but I'll still take my zero for now. BTW I actually like Jegans and Strike Daggers :D

I finally played Lunar SSH a little (from disc) up until the forest. I'm not sure what there is to complain about. Load times weren't that bad at all and if I actually played it from memory they would be almost unnoticeable for sure. I guess it's easier? hard to tell so far. Can't really comment on enemy AI yet either. What I am positive about though is that it looks excellent.

I will say this or Assault Survive, partner AI is way better than previous games. You tell them to spam, they (usually) wait for an opportune moment, you tell them to defend, and bam, they actually defend themselves. Yiou tell them to heal...well, sometimes you have to trick them into hurrying up by locking on to an area gate, but damn, I'm in general impressed with my wingmen this time.

My local Target had the Monster-branded component cables for the PSP 2000/3000 on clearance, so I decided to give it a try.

On the positive side, the quality seemed good enough. The XMB took up the whole screen, although it was a little fuzzy, and it was pretty simple to switch to the TV from the XMB (although I wish you could switch in by hitting the brightness button, since you can switch back to the PSP's screen with it). Games apparently play in a window, which was kind of a bummer, but since my TV's a 52" it's still like having a 40" screen for the PSP. Color was very good, and the speakers on my TV are much better than the PSP's. Blowing up a game that's intended for a 4" screen to 10x that does sort of show how the PSP is closer to the PS1 than the PS2 graphically, though.

My one real complaint is that you're still playing from the PSP. The cable is a little short to reach from behind my TV to the couch (although I'm out of component inputs and I'm going to have to pick up a switcher anyway, which should give me another foot or two). It'd be really nice to hook the PSP up to the TV, then connect a controller to the PSP that I could use from the couch. Does such a thing exist?

EDIT: While searching for the possibility of a controller working on the PSP, I did stumble across something called RemoteJoy Lite. You have to have a custom firmware to use it (so the PSP I can hook up to my TV is out, but my PSP Phat with a busted UMD door is in). There's a plugin you have to put on your PSP's memory stick and enable from the recovery menu, and a program you run on your (Windows) computer (you'll have to connect your PSP to your computer, and you might need a different driver so that Windows recognizes your PSP as a PSP and not a USB Mass Storage Device). The result is a program window on your computer that displays what's on the PSP. What's better is that you can use a controller. Sadly, the PSP looks pretty bad in fullscreen on my monitor (resolution of 1680x1050), so I opted to keep it windowed. Also, the program doesn't seem to handle the PSP's sound, so unless you want the sound over the PSP's speakers, you might want to rustle up an extra set of computer speakers (or if you're less lazy than me, you can unplug the speakers you're already using on your computer). I used it to play Gundam Assault Survive, and I didn't notice any lag. If you're running a custom firmware, you might want to give it a try, as I found the experience much more comfortable than hunching over the PSP's little screen.

Edited by mikeszekely

@Keith Yeah, my bro had said the AI was somewhat better I haven't played enough to notice personally. Maybe if can eventually get something like the system for DC's side story but improved..

@mikeszekely

I've used remote joy personally to record some videos of my psp gameplay. Sound can be done by getting a male to male audio cable and hooking your psp to your mic port. The only problem for me at least is it seems to lag both in the video and sound department (even when the game is read from the memory card and not umd) on occasion but this could vary on the game I suppose.

I'm waiting to replace my old fat PSP with a new video out model and try using it in conjunction with my Dazzle and see if the video turns out better that way. Although I guess it would because the psp doesn't use the fullscreen.

My brother actually got it so now I've watched him play and played a little myself but I'll still take my zero for now. BTW I actually like Jegans and Strike Daggers :D

I finally played Lunar SSH a little (from disc) up until the forest. I'm not sure what there is to complain about. Load times weren't that bad at all and if I actually played it from memory they would be almost unnoticeable for sure. I guess it's easier? hard to tell so far. Can't really comment on enemy AI yet either. What I am positive about though is that it looks excellent.

I picked up Lunar and haven't really given it enough time to give it a real review but everything so far is pretty good although it is much much easier as I remember having to grind at the beginning of the game to get through quarks cave and now I can beat the monkeys at level 1-2. I also found it funny that they kept all the cut-scenes from the saturn-PS1 games but replaced all the voice overs.

Another observation:

YAY! no more stupid box missisons!!!

-BOO!! Stupid capitol ship swarm extra missions!!!

One thing I've noticed that I thought was kind of a bummer is that War in the Pocket and the 08th MS Team each have just one multi-stage mission.

For those playing Gundam Assault Survive (just me and Keith?), are you trying to just beat the missions first, or trying to collect the MS, or some combination? I played some SEED and 00 missions for money, but refused to spend any money to better those MS if I couldn't beat a mission (so neither campaign is complete). The only campaign I've completed entirely is 0079, and that's because I've been actively trying to collect all the MS. I think I have all the Federation suits (34) and most of the Zeon suits (66). (Note that I'm only counting them if they show up in the campaign, so stuff like the Last Stand Gundam don't count because they only show up in the Extra missions.) Problem is, I need a psycommu part and a "new manipulator", and I have no idea how to get them.

Initially I had the same problem and I skipped Gundam Vs Gundam for a lot of time, then I gave it a try and I liked both the combat mechanism and the presence of "underestimated" series like Gundam X.

I didn't like that much Next Plus mainly because I preferred the new input system of Gundam vs Gundam rather than the old one that was revived for Next Plus.

For those playing Gundam Assault Survive (just me and Keith?), are you trying to just beat the missions first, or trying to collect the MS, or some combination? I played some SEED and 00 missions for money, but refused to spend any money to better those MS if I couldn't beat a mission (so neither campaign is complete). The only campaign I've completed entirely is 0079, and that's because I've been actively trying to collect all the MS. I think I have all the Federation suits (34) and most of the Zeon suits (66). (Note that I'm only counting them if they show up in the campaign, so stuff like the Last Stand Gundam don't count because they only show up in the Extra missions.) Problem is, I need a psycommu part and a "new manipulator", and I have no idea how to get them.

I've been doing a combination of buying everything I can afford, and compoleting missions. Currently, I have all story missions complete for all UC era's, and all character & ex missiosn complete for SEED & 00. Be warned, the 00 campaign is painfully repetative. I'm talking doing the same missions four times in a row repetative. I still haven't watched 00, which is possibly why thisis so confusing, by why they would re-do the same missions 4+ freakin' times just to show a different character perspective is beyond me. But damnit, they're done!

Currently I have 46% MS unlocked, 81% pilots, 80-ish % missions complete, and 50-ish percent whatever the other thing is. I've got full use of character types & suits for all UC era's, but the SEED & 00 suits & characters are still limited to their era's & extra. Haven't gotten the tune point limiter yet either. I've also probably got about 40 or so developement plans to finish unlocking for the custome MS. As for parts, I've been having good luck collecting most of them by replaying harder & extra missions. Though I still have a good number of extra missions to go.

Best thing I can reccomend for the SEED & 00 campaigns, is if you haven't unlocked Freedom yet (I know I haven't), Raider is pretty bad ass once its fully tuned. It's the closest thing SEED has to a Zeta (can do the transformed ram SP attack), and its Gundam hammer mace deally melee attack takes out most Gundam types no sweat. Don't waste time with its primary weapon those, its solid type, which makes it useless against phase shift.

For 00, Exia is all around a good brawling MS. Transam + SP attack = knock anyone on their ass. I actually really like Exia here, its portrayal in the game gives me high hopes for seeing the Turn-A in a future game, as the way the legs look during flight would adapt well to the Turn-A.

I just unlocked the V2 for purchase, and am contemplating grinding for the 7 million plus to purchase it, or just waiting to beef up my MS percentage first. A lot of unlockables & available MS seems to have a lot to do with your current MS & pilot percentages.

Almost forgot, the most confusing mission so far has been on the SEED campaign. The ZAFT version of the Assault on Orb still has the Arch Angel as your base ship...

Edited by Keith

I'm not sure what the first three numbers are on the Record window (Maybe total sorties for the first one, dunno about the second, and maybe deaths for the third?). The percentages are MS unlocked, Pilots unlocked, parts unlocked, and missions unlocked. For me, it's 42%, 6%, 39%, and 29% respectively.

I'd complain more about the repetitive nature of missions in the 00 campaign except that I keep replaying SEED missions and 00 missions for the cash. I'm currently showing that I have 14 available missions unlocked for 00 and 12 unlocked for SEED. In 00, missions 5 and 9 haven't been won, and in SEED it's mission 11. I'm currently working on the Feddie 0083 missions. I'd be farther along, except like I said I want keep unlocking MS, so I spend a lot of time replaying missions for unlocks or cash. Right now, I've only played four missions, but I'll have 11 MS for that campaign once I have enough cash to finish developing and purchasing the GM Quel.

I don't think MS or pilot precentage has to do with unlocks. It's usually you have to use a suit X number of times, have a particular pilot, or use a particular pilot x number of times. For example, you have to purchase Aina to make Apsalus available to purchase, then you have to use Aina 5x and the Apsalus 5x to unlock the Apsalus II. I haven't bought any pilot that wasn't required to unlock an MS.

Edited by mikeszekely

I don't know, I've had a lot of MS in un-related campaigns suddenly become available after purchasing MS & Pilots & raising percentages. Pretty sure it does have something to do with only being able to purchase certain mobile suits after you've raised your percentage by certain levels.

BTW, unlocked Freedom last night, and damn, makes those battleship parade extra missions a cakewalk.

I don't know, I've had a lot of MS in un-related campaigns suddenly become available after purchasing MS & Pilots & raising percentages. Pretty sure it does have something to do with only being able to purchase certain mobile suits after you've raised your percentage by certain levels.

BTW, unlocked Freedom last night, and damn, makes those battleship parade extra missions a cakewalk.

Maybe some of the later or Extra suits, then? All I know is that I'm sitting at 8% on pilots, but over 40% of the MS. I'm currently working on finishing the Zeon/Delaz Fleet 0083 missions, and as near as I can tell I'm only missing maybe three Zeon suits from the 0079 campaigns and just the Neue Ziel of the 0083 suits.

I've now got 100% missions, 50% MS, 81% pilots, & 56% parts. Unfortunately, no tune point limiter, and no SEED/00 MS release into other era's yet, grrr, looks like MS/Parts/Pilot completion is indeed part of the unlock process. Worse yet, most of the MS I have available now are in the multi-millions of points range. V2 itself is almost 8 million. I don't even want to know how much the Assault/Buster is gonna cost. Looks like finishing developement plans is my next project.

I've now got 100% missions, 50% MS, 81% pilots, & 56% parts. Unfortunately, no tune point limiter, and no SEED/00 MS release into other era's yet, grrr, looks like MS/Parts/Pilot completion is indeed part of the unlock process. Worse yet, most of the MS I have available now are in the multi-millions of points range. V2 itself is almost 8 million. I don't even want to know how much the Assault/Buster is gonna cost. Looks like finishing developement plans is my next project.

Ugh... I've got over 47 hours logged in. I've flown 388 sorties, and shot down over 10,000 enemies. I'm currently at 64% for MS, 17% pilots, 50% parts, and 48% missions. I've finished all of 0079, 0083, 0087, and SEED. I'm missing a total of four mobile suits from 0079-0087. I've finished the AEUG mission in 0088, and I have all of the AEUG MS. I'm working on the Neo Zeon missions, but this is where I'm running into a snag. There's so many Neo Zeon suits to unlock, and at least five of them are over 1,000,000G (not sure how much Quin Mantha's going to be, but you can bet it'll be expensive). I'll go back and replay missions to save up for a suit, then just when I have enough and buy it, I'll unlock like four more to buy. And Quebeley is the worst offender... over 1,500,000G to buy. That'll unlock a development plan that costs over 1,200,000G. And what does that tell you to do? Equip a weapon rack (500,000G) and then buy 15,000 tune points for the Quebeley (not even sure, but I'll bet it's over 1,000,000). Once you complete all that, you can buy the mass-production-type Quebeley... for another 1,280,000G. And don't forget about Puru and Puru Two's Quebeley Mk IIs... each over 1,200,000G. When all is said and done, I could easily buy a V2 for what I'll have spent on Quebeleys... and that doesn't even figure the cost of the rest of the Neo Zeon units.

That's ok, one of the last developement plans I've got right now (likely more will pop up when I buy more of the expensive suits) requires a part that I don't even have available for purchase yet! :)

Big Boss, are you selling out or something?

http://kotaku.com/5513122/metal-gear-solid...ement-explained

http://kotaku.com/5511327/metal-gear-solid...-billboard-here

Oh, and crossovers.

http://kotaku.com/5511861/metal-gear-solid...r-front-mission

http://kotaku.com/5511159/metal-gear-solid...onster-surprise

He has the Philosopher's Legacy already ($$$). Time paradox corporate sponsorship would be overkill at this/that point. :lol:

Peacewalker looks to be the ulitmate in PSP games. You had me at Dorito's!!

In other news, finally unlocked the Hi-Nu Gundam, and it's freakin' 12,000,000 points, come on, really? AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

68% MS, 72% Parts, 81% pilots, 100% Missions, over 70 hours.

• 1 month later...

So is anybody playing Peace Walker yet?

I've played for a few hours, but I suck. Really fun game, though. I'm alternating between this and Macross Ultimate Frontier (again) right now.

I can't wait for Peace Walker to come out. I'm going insane building up money to finish unlocking stuff in GAS. I'm finally up to 90% MS, 95% pilots, 100% missions, & 78% parts. I've got my main up to the absolute top rank, and need to unlock secrets 3 & 4 in order to get secret 15 (world unlock). My main obstacle still remains the two 57,000,000 (each) point parts that need to be purchased. I mean really, what an obscene total, with no hint on which stages they have rare random drop potential in yet.

Yeah I'm waiting for the US release as well. Can Peace Walker be played co-op through an internet connection or do we have to use ad-hoc party on the ps3.

Should just be like Portable Ops, I'm pretty sure you can do both.

I have Portable Ops as well, and it seems there is no bonus if you have stored data from that game. I think that was only with Portable Ops Plus. Actually I must have had that game for about a year and a half and yet only played it for a total of 2 hours. The horrible controls, bothersome objectives (dragging enemies around) and the fact that I got Mac Ace Frontier soon afterward just ruined the whole experience for me. Waste of money. I might go back to it eventually, though, since I'm into Metal Gear again, but really, after Peace Walker, what would be the point?

As I mentioned, I'm really crap. Playing on the train, I just cannot concentrate in case I miss my stop, plus the missions are too damn long. I finally made some breakthroughs this morning, thank god for weekends. I don't want to spend all my life on this thing, but this is going to be a huge game, and I've still got loads to go. Argh. Sometimes I wonder what "fun" is. I really am enjoying myself, but why do I find myself cursing like a Tourette's patient everytime I pick up a PSP? Oh, the rage. :lol:

EDIT: I'm wearing my Peace Walker T-shirt today, so I'm in full metal gear! Triple pun for da veann!

Edited by Renato

• 8 months later...

Bumping for the PSP2 NGP.

LOL. It sounds like a "please, somebody, anybody, talk about this!" kind of plea. :p

I will consider an NGP as soon as it gets a Macross game.

I'm fine with the regular PSP because there is nothing you cannot do with it once you have CFW. YouTube? Check. PDF viewers? Check. Emulators? Check. File Managers? Check. MP3/OGM/WMA/etc players with graphic equalizers, playlist organizers and the works? Check.

Then again I'm not a gamer, so I'm biased.

I don't even own the original. I'm just bumping as mod because I don't want 2 threads about Sony portables. The video game threads are all fractured and overlapping as it is.

::edit:: Dang it, it actually showed up earlier in the all-purpose VG thread. Sigh.

Maybe we should just close every other console-specific thread (including this one). Probably make things easier, and many go weeks without posts anyways due to the all-purpose thread. Popular games still get their own threads, but general console discussion and "game of the week" should all be lumped together I think.

Maybe we should just close every other console-specific thread (including this one). Probably make things easier, and many go weeks without posts anyways due to the all-purpose thread. Popular games still get their own threads, but general console discussion and "game of the week" should all be lumped together I think.

I'm actually very ok with that. It would also help when "game of the week" is a multi-platform release that winds up getting discussed in both the general video game thread and the PS3 thread.