Sony Playstation Portable Thread

twich

Got my copy of Gundam Battle Universe this morning, and first the bad news. 0079-0087 are all the same missions from Chronicle. As far as I can tell, the only new time periods are definately 0088 & 0093, though hopefully there will be a good number of new extra missions.

And the good news: Graphically, the mobile suits definately seem to look better, not sure if it's my imagination, but they look a little meatier in detail. Flying mobile armors, wave riders, etc, is fixed. No longer do you waste your SP trying to shoot while flying, now you can home in with guard, and safely fire away. Flying melee is the only way to use SP while in an MA mode. Actually, I haven't tried using the GPO3 yet, so that may still be broken, but the Zeta is much improved.

All MS points & unlocked suits/characters carry over to the new game, as do your made characters & control preferences. Stage scores & pilot stats don't carry over, so you'll have to earn S/SS & raise your pilot stats all over again.

I've played all the way through AEUG ZZ, and the missions were plentiful, "Plu Pllu Plu" is there in all her glory, as is crazy bum with a hat Yazan. Stages are a bit too recycled though, Moon Moon looks suspiciously like Jaburo. But so far the couple of CCA missions I've played have all new backdrops, and the Jegan is dead sexy.

All of the guages have been cleaned up, and made more visually pleasing, and the support system works exactly as well as it should. Just hold select, pic your option, and your wingman is good to go. There's also a bit of a stat increase when you're near death, almost like the reivive special in Gundam Vs Zeta. With that, the Battle series has nearly everything the Vs series has. And a definate improvement is felt.

Overall, unless there are more unlockables I don't know about, it's not as big of a mission upgrade as I'd like, but the engine revisions & new ZZ & CCA stuff definately make it worth it for me.

I'm just going to pretty much agree with what you just said. I was relplaying GBC recently, so while I do think they cleaned up the gauges and what-not on the HUD, I think the MS models look about the same. If you already have Gundam Battle Chronicle, congratulations, you own the same game twice now. Keep your save files, but feel free to sell your copy of GBC. That said, if you're really a Gundam fan or a fan of the Battle series, it's still worthwhile for the ZZ and CCA missions, plus the extra mobile suits. I mean, I decided to start at 0079, and my new favorite Mobile Suit for the EFSF 0083 missions might just be the GM Cannon II.

On other difference I have noticed, BTW, is that named pilots have a tendency to power up and have a few moments of invincibility when they get low on HP. This can be problematic on some stages, as that pilot will flee the battle while invincible, and there's nothing you can do except watch them fly away with your S-rank. Still, I'm thinking it'll be fun to go back and play those missions with a more powerful suit later anyway.

Darn Keith, you make me regreting to forsaken Gundam Battle Universe in favor of Macross Ace Frontier :(

The solution is simple, buy both. Did I mention "PLU PLU PLU" ? :)

I believe you could use the guard auto lock while in MA mode in chronicle. I like the wing man commands; pretty cool to have your buddy unleash an sp attack. The one thing I don't like is the damn auto sp attack skill when you're at 30% hp. Nothing like unleashing a big ass beam saber attack automatically while the enemy is on the other side of the map shooting you, lol.

You could use guard, to aim, but that resulted in wasting any SP you had. Now SP is only used on flying Melee attacks, much improved. In general, it seems easier to move & target with the MA's/wave riders. As for the auto SP, it's pilot specific, and I think its their answer to the awakening skill in Gundam Vs Zeta, since its something this series has lacked.

Finnished Federation CCA, and got through all the currently available extra missions, and so far, the Extra missions are much improved. Most are themed after special battles instead of total enemy pilot spam, and have some cool new playfields.

Looks like the Hi-Nu isn't unlockable yet, but when they give out the codes ofr the rest of the Extra missions, it should hopefully pop up. There is a sweet armored Nu, as well as a standard Nu-type (pun) with fin funnels on both sides. As well as the Xi, & Penelope. I also unlocked the Mk-V & F-91, but haven't played with them yet. Actually, I haven't played with the Ex-S either, but it looks pretty crazy. I'd be really surprised if they didn't include the Unicorn somewhere, but then I haven't seen the Hazel yet either, so maybe next game. Actually, I hope the next one covers V & Turn-A, even though Turn-A isn't UC, they already have the Capool model in, so it'd be a waste not to :)

ArtInk has done nothing but perfectly refine this engine over the years, so I'm really excited to see what happens with Ace Frontier. The only thing I'm worried about is the lock on switching. I hope its transform by flicking up & down, and switching target with left/right on the analog nub.

Right now I'm playing through ZZ on the Neo Zeon side, and my favorite suit so far is the Ga-Zowmn. Its awesome firepower makes up for the overall weak Gaza-D.

Edited by Keith

Finnished Federation CCA, and got through all the currently available extra missions, and so far, the Extra missions are much improved. Most are themed after special battles instead of total enemy pilot spam, and have some cool new playfields.

Looks like the Hi-Nu isn't unlockable yet, but when they give out the codes ofr the rest of the Extra missions, it should hopefully pop up. There is a sweet armored Nu, as well as a standard Nu-type (pun) with fin funnels on both sides. As well as the Xi, & Penelope. I also unlocked the Mk-V & F-91, but haven't played with them yet. Actually, I haven't played with the Ex-S either, but it looks pretty crazy. I'd be really surprised if they didn't include the Unicorn somewhere, but then I haven't seen the Hazel yet either, so maybe next game. Actually, I hope the next one covers V & Turn-A, even though Turn-A isn't UC, they already have the Capool model in, so it'd be a waste not to :)

ArtInk has done nothing but perfectly refine this engine over the years, so I'm really excited to see what happens with Ace Frontier. The only thing I'm worried about is the lock on switching. I hope its transform by flicking up & down, and switching target with left/right on the analog nub.

Right now I'm playing through ZZ on the Neo Zeon side, and my favorite suit so far is the Ga-Zowmn. Its awesome firepower makes up for the overall weak Gaza-D.

I played through from 0079 to 0093 (EFSF, EFSF, AEUG, AEUG, EFSF), but I was just cruising though, so I gotta go back and do all the A routes (for some reason, I did all the Bs). I'm not too worried about rank right now. I'll go back and try for the S's after I have a Quebeley.

FA-Nu is WAY better than regular Nu, and the CCA missions were really rough. The GMIII and Jegan both suck, and the Re-GZ is passable at best.

I'm still on 0093, and I went all B's as well. Guess it has something to do with the darker blue lol.

I think, for me, it's a sort of assumption based on one or two 0079 missions where A is really obvious, and you have to actually do something to get B. My brain thinks that if B is available, I should do it right away because it'll be easier to go back and do A.

I can't finish the last two Extra missions. On the earth-based one, I was finally taken down when Xi and Penelope come out. On the space-based ground mission, I didn't quite catch what finally took me down, but it was after I took down the Hi-Nu. I was using the Nu Gundam (HWS) and I had Kamille for a partner using the Xi Gundam. My Nu (HWS) is tuned to 7000HP, 70 for both solid and beam defense, the maximum for its beam rifle's damage, and the maximum for the fin funnel damage. Rather than waste another 40+ minutes on it right now, I started another game, with the intention to play Zeon, Delaz, Axis, Neo Zeon, and Neo Zeon. I'll start a third game and play the Titans eventually, if I have to to unlock everything. Despite having some cool MS, they're just not as fun to play as the AEUG or Axis.

I got myself a PSP anticipating the Macross game and I got 4g sandisk Ultra II memory stick for video and saves. Only I can't save games to it. I can watch videos stored on it but #^@%$ Sony have somehow locked out saving to it. So - even though you can buy the 50% faster 'Ultra II' Memory Stick Duo Pro 4G for the same price as the Sandisk 4G Gaming (ie PSP) Memory Stick Duo Pro - Don't Do It! Unless you want to be like me and be swapping chips in and out. I could go and get the 'Gaming' memory stick but this is the latest in a long line of Sony non-compatibility piss offs.

Did you format your memory stick first? That may be the problem, it may not have the proper folder structure to save. Port your movies back over, try formatting, and see if that works. With that said, I recently got an 8 gig Sony Pro Duo with the speedier loading deally, and that works pretty awesome. I've yet to find any programs to convert movies & such, but I'll get around to it.

As for the Quebeley, its still pretty powerful. I'm using the standard white right now to mop up S's on Neo Zeon CCA, and its still kicking ass.

Edited by Keith

Did they nerfed the Quebeleys on GBU?

Don't know yet. I just started the Delaz Fleet missions. I'll know sometime tomorrow.

I really hope not, though.

It seems, though, that some suits like the Nu-Gundam (HWS) have specials that can almost hang with the Quebeley, though.

Don't know yet. I just started the Delaz Fleet missions. I'll know sometime tomorrow.

I really hope not, though.

It seems, though, that some suits like the Nu-Gundam (HWS) have specials that can almost hang with the Quebeley, though.

Which makes sense, since the base Nu is still underpowered compared. I can't wait to see how s uped up the Hi-Nu is. The F-91 is insane to control in its flight mode though, these games really need bigger maps.

BTW, haven't played through 0079-87 yet, but it looks like there are more slots for pilot characters than were there before. If so, then there's a plus for getting S ranks all over again.

Did you format your memory stick first? That may be the problem, it may not have the proper folder structure to save. Port your movies back over, try formatting, and see if that works. With that said, I recently got an 8 gig Sony Pro Duo with the speedier loading deally, and that works pretty awesome. I've yet to find any programs to convert movies & such, but I'll get around to it.

As for the Quebeley, its still pretty powerful. I'm using the standard white right now to mop up S's on Neo Zeon CCA, and its still kicking ass.

I tried reformatting it and I copied over the folders and saved games from my 256m memory stick. Nothing changed. The PSP will still play the movies but it refuses to save games (either of the games I have anyway). I think the PSP just doesn't like the Ultra II fast memory. I should have gotten the one labeled for the psp use but I couldn't see anything on-line or in the psp manual that said it would not work. It half works. Eh. for $40 I'll get the other one and then I won't have to swap chips during my trip.

Converting movies and having them work is another nightmare. I've had some success with PSP Video 9 and Hand Brake but neither of them seems to embed subtitles so not much help for anime. On the mac I've had some luck with mkvtools converting for the PS3 but it only work 1/2 the time.

I see, I just want to know how's Geymark (neo zeon MS from ZZ TV) performance comparing to the Quebeleys, since in the TV the Geymark is equally powerful.

Converting movies and having them work is another nightmare. I've had some success with PSP Video 9 and Hand Brake but neither of them seems to embed subtitles so not much help for anime. On the mac I've had some luck with mkvtools converting for the PS3 but it only work 1/2 the time.

I had a little trouble with Subtitles and Language tracks when I first started farting around with PSP Video 9, you have to go in an manually select the spoken language and Subtitle tracks to get them to encode properly on your PSP video file. If you haven't already i'd suggest playing with the different options by selecting a single short chapter from any movie you like and recording it with a foreign language track and US subtitles just to get the hang of it, if you use a short chapter it only takes a few minutes.

I tried reformatting it and I copied over the folders and saved games from my 256m memory stick. Nothing changed. The PSP will still play the movies but it refuses to save games (either of the games I have anyway). I think the PSP just doesn't like the Ultra II fast memory. I should have gotten the one labeled for the psp use but I couldn't see anything on-line or in the psp manual that said it would not work. It half works. Eh. for $40 I'll get the other one and then I won't have to swap chips during my trip.

Wierd. I have a 2 GB Ultra II from San Disk. I've never had a problem with it. Sounds like you got a bad card..I'd exchange it.

If you're looking for an mkv converter for the PS3 try mkv2vob. That can change an MKV to an MPEG2. It will embed subtitles. I suppose you could run it through a PSP converter after converting the MKV file.

Edited by dejr8bud

No comments on Geymark yet, as I've just started the 0088 Neo Zeon campaign. I am pleased to report, though, that the white Quebeley hasn't been nerfed in the slightest. All of your earned MS points carry over from Gundam Battle Chronicle, so I was able to quickly max its HP and main weapon, as well as taking its funnels up to the end of the yellow. I took out a Baund Doc in two regular shots, and with one special barrage took out Hyaku Shiki, Methuss, and Z Gundam.

Hey, Keith, you haven't started the 0079-0087 campaigns yet, have you? Is it just me or are suits not unlocking when they did before? I mean, I know we're getting some suits we never had before, but I could have sworn you unlock Quebeley before the end of the Axis missions in GBC (it didn't unlock until I'd finished the last mission, using a Gaza-C HK, then I went back and did the A route with Quebeley). And I definitely remember getting the GP-02 after finishing the Delaz Fleet missions before, but I still don't have it unlocked in Universe.

Actulaly, all the suits I had unlocked popped up as soon as I finnished both sides 88 & 93 campaigns, I just finnished up 0079 Federation last night, and I'm most of the way through 0083.

Actually, I'm using the same save files & re-doing all of the above missions to fill in the gaps, or have you started a new character? Only strange thing I've noticed, is that so far in 79 & 83, none of the new pilot slots have unlocked yet, I'm getting mostly S's & some SS's, but nothing yet. Maybe all missions have to be completed first. Or it may require more passwords for Extra missions, I think 5 are out so far.

Edited by Keith

I see, I just want to know how's Geymark (neo zeon MS from ZZ TV) performance comparing to the Quebeleys, since in the TV the Geymark is equally powerful.

Didn't even notice it there until right now. I haven't played with it much, since its first main weapon is missile based. I'll have to level it up a bit later to check it out, but it doesn't seem to move as well as the quebeley.

Okay I think I've figured it one. It's not that the PSP won't write to the MStick. It's a bug where if you have more than 2G free on the MStick, the PSP can't cope and reports 'insufficient memory' for save. The fix is easy - just fill up the MStick so there is <2G free space.

PSP fix Linkee

Worked for me.

Edited by DestroidDefender

Actulaly, all the suits I had unlocked popped up as soon as I finnished both sides 88 & 93 campaigns, I just finnished up 0079 Federation last night, and I'm most of the way through 0083.

Actually, I'm using the same save files & re-doing all of the above missions to fill in the gaps, or have you started a new character? Only strange thing I've noticed, is that so far in 79 & 83, none of the new pilot slots have unlocked yet, I'm getting mostly S's & some SS's, but nothing yet. Maybe all missions have to be completed first. Or it may require more passwords for Extra missions, I think 5 are out so far.

I let it load my GBC saves, so I have all my old MS points, but I started new characters.

Okay I think I've figured it one. It's not that the PSP won't write to the MStick. It's a bug where if you have more than 2G free on the MStick, the PSP can't cope and reports 'insufficient memory' for save. The fix is easy - just fill up the MStick so there is <2G free space.

PSP fix Linkee

Worked for me.

This may sound like a silly question, but is your firmware up to date?

I let it load my GBC saves, so I have all my old MS points, but I started new characters.

Strange, they may have changed some of the requirements for unlocking then, though I'm not sure what they'd be. I've played through all of EFSF, and while the missions are 90% the same, there are definately some tweaks to the stages here & there, not counting the new mobiel suits added.

Edited by Keith

This may sound like a silly question, but is your firmware up to date?

Yes - did a network update as soon as I unboxed it last week. I don't know if it a bug is some games or the PSP OS itself but apparently I'm not the only one who gets this error. If I have over 2G free space on the memory stick then both of my games report "insufficient memory" and won't write/read saved games. If I fill up the memory stick so there is less than 2G free, they save fine.

While the PSP is pretty cool when I can get it to do what it's supposed to do, I can't really understand the point of the UMD. A game on UMD is $40 and Memory Stick is $40. Why not ditch the UMD and sell software on Memory Stick? The answer, I guess, is the UMDs are cheap to make and, as always, whole Digital Rights thing. It still seem stupid to me though. Sell the games/movie in a ROM format memory stick.

Yes - did a network update as soon as I unboxed it last week. I don't know if it a bug is some games or the PSP OS itself but apparently I'm not the only one who gets this error. If I have over 2G free space on the memory stick then both of my games report "insufficient memory" and won't write/read saved games. If I fill up the memory stick so there is less than 2G free, they save fine.

While the PSP is pretty cool when I can get it to do what it's supposed to do, I can't really understand the point of the UMD. A game on UMD is $40 and Memory Stick is $40. Why not ditch the UMD and sell software on Memory Stick? The answer, I guess, is the UMDs are cheap to make and, as always, whole Digital Rights thing. It still seem stupid to me though. Sell the games/movie in a ROM format memory stick.

If they started selling games on memory stick, then idiots would accidentally erase them, cry, and flood sony with calls. Not going to happen.

post-278-1216997607_thumb.jpg

All of the passwords have been leaked early by some means or another. This is a chart someone made that's "mostly" correct, though there are a few errors in it. Just reference the actual password, and it's easy to fix.

With all of these out, the Hi-Nu is now unlockable. I've only played with it for a few minutes, but it easily seems to spank the quebeley, which makes the Hi-Nu the uber MS of the game.

If they started selling games on memory stick, then idiots would accidentally erase them, cry, and flood sony with calls. Not going to happen.

I said ROM format memory stick Keith. To erase that they'd have to deliberated degauss it somehow. It certainly could be done and would be practice now that 4G memory sticks are $40.

• 3 weeks later...