Sony Playstation Portable Thread

twich

Anyone into Golf? I am thinking of grabbing Tiger 09 when i get my PSP in december, just wonderring how it fairs

on such a small screen compared to like a normal TV with the PS2 releases. Golf games are great time killers.

Although the majority of my PSP play time will consist of MAF. :D

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've read and seen in pictures...the PSP 3000 does indeed have a wider color gamut and has less ghosting; however, scan lines are supposedly more apparent now and there's some interlacing problems. Moreover, the PSP 3000 (PSP Brite) has already been hacked.

Ever since I bought a copy of Macross Ace Frontier I've been looking to buy a PSP. The only question I have now is, which model should I get? Do those of you with the 3000 notice the scan lines and interlacing problems? Should I try and find a PSP 2000 before it's too late? It pains me to have this game and not be able to play it.

Hmm that's interesting.. Scan lines, are they really that noticeable, just trying to imagine what the fuss would be not having a PSP before.

Thanks for the info Oihan, hopefully the 3K is all ok, as i'd like to get a better screen.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Over at the (EU/UK) Playstation forum, some guy said that the quality of the UMD movies play horribly on the PSP-3000.

"Didnt mind the bit of ghosting on the older model prefer to the new 'feature' which turns anything that moves at speed into lines, it turns actions films into something that looks like a YouTube clip"

Hmm that's interesting.. Scan lines, are they really that noticeable, just trying to imagine what the fuss would be not having a PSP before.

Thanks for the info Oihan, hopefully the 3K is all ok, as i'd like to get a better screen.

No problem. :)

wow... so 2K could be the go! I wonder about games though, like MAF, that would be the primary use...

It's starting to look that way. ...I'm not sure what I should most concerned about....duller gamut and noticeable ghosting...or more apparent scanlines and interlacing issues. :/ The color in pictures on the 3000 definitely look a lot better (more natural) than they do on the 2000.... It doesn't help either that I'm the indecisive type.

Yeah, I'm also waiting on some sort of final word on the PSP 3000 v. PSP 2000. My MAF sits unopened... as does my Disgaea... as does my GBU...

In all honesty. I own both a PSP 2000 and 3000. And I use my 3000 more. The scanlines are noticable depending on what your running. When I am watch Mac Frontier on my 3000, the picture is bright and crisp, and I only notice the scanlines here and there (which is rare for me,but mostly on fast moving and bright objects). On my 2000. The picture is good, but the color is not as sharp as on the 3000. Game wise. I really notice noting except on a few games, and its not much to make me upset. Overall. My 2000 is now on it's way to becoming a paperweight, while my 3000 is now the new work horse.

Thanks heaps for the review Skull, that draws me a little closer to the 3K.

If it's really not that noticeable, i'll grab the 3K.

Like I said. Thats MHO. Others will more then likly disagree with me. Just do what I told my cousin to do. Buy a 3000. Test it out for week, to see if the scan lines bother you. If they do. Return it and get a 2000 model. Biggidy-bam!

haha well seeing how you and I haven't played MAF yet and have the copy sitting at home gathering dust i'm sure together we can make

the killing blow with this decisive battle! :p :P

Haha, here's hoping!

Like I said. Thats MHO. Others will more then likly disagree with me. Just do what I told my cousin to do. Buy a 3000. Test it out for week, to see if the scan lines bother you. If they do. Return it and get a 2000 model. Biggidy-bam!

Don't some places charge a restocking fee though? I'd rather not deal with that kind of hassel. I'm not a huge fan of dealing with lines and disgruntled employees either. I'd rather buy something once and be done with it.

Thanks for your opinion though on the 3000 and 2000. If we could only get a few more opinions, that'd be great!

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Oihan

Haha, here's hoping!

Don't some places charge a restocking fee though? I'd rather not deal with that kind of hassel. I'm not a huge fan of dealing with lines and disgruntled employees either. I'd rather buy something once and be done with it.

Thanks for your opinion though on the 3000 and 2000. If we could only get a few more opinions, that'd be great!

Edit: Grammar

cough::walmart::cough

Anyone played the batman PSP game? In australia, they got a 3000 PSP bundle with that game,

same price as another bundle with Tekken uhh, yeah the PSP Tekken game, which game should i go for?

Graphics ok for tekken?

The majority of the of the reviews I've seen out there, for Tekken: DR, have been positive. I've always liked the Tekken series...I would pick up that bandle if I were dead set on a 3000. As for the Batman game, it has been getting average ratings.

Cool thanks man, i've enjoyed many a battle on Tekken 2 so i'll grab it for sure.

No problem. =) Please let us know what you think of the whole "scanline and interlacing problems!" Hopefully people are just blowing this out of proportion.

Edited by Oihan

Would be nice to get some more reviews before i do though.

I'm going to go to my local EBG and ask em for a differet game deal instead of the Tekken, like a Streetfigher, or the Tiger Woods 09 game...

Ruskii, I think I'm gonna get the 2000. You may want to read this. It seems the 3000 "adds a tinge of yellow to neutral colors, most noticeably white tones." That right there is enough for me to go with the 2000.

Ruskii, I think I'm gonna get the 2000. You may want to read this. It seems the 3000 "adds a tinge of yellow to neutral colors, most noticeably white tones." That right there is enough for me to go with the 2000.

Your right, it is a big difference. I'm not sure, i actually could live with the scan lines.... i'll see what type of deals i can find for the 2K though.

I do like the fact that the microphone is included, and matte finish is extra nice....

Thanks very much for the link!!! Top find. :)

I probably will just go witht he 2K... i need to think this through some more. :lol:

Wait, I still like the idea of the microphone…. If I’m in an international airport, and I have no mobile coverage,

is this a good alternative? The internet is worldwide, mobile coverage ani't, and if it is it's expensive!

US, October 21, 2008 - Message boards across the Internet and right here on IGN are lighting up with complaints about the PSP-3000's much hyped LCD screen. Apparently, some games and videos are popping up interlaced, where the image breaks into line segments. The issue seems to center on fast moving objects.

When approached by IGN, Sony Computer Entertainment America offered the following statement: "On some occasions, scan lines may appear on scenes where brightness changes drastically, due to the hardware features of the new LCD device on PSP-3000. Installed with this new LCD device, PSP-3000 offers more natural and vibrant colors on its screen, but the scan lines have come out to be more visible as a result of improving response time to alleviate the afterimages on PSP-3000. Since this is due to hardware specification, there are no plans for a system software updates concerning this issue."

from bold - does that mean for MAF it'd suck?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

scanlines sucks basically... i bought PSP-1000 o_O im amazed cause thought it will be hard to get one. im happy cause i feel it wont break in half like when im holding my buddy's slim. if anyone plan to buy psp in near future avoid the ones with "G" on the sticker with barcode ... TA-88 mainboard there... >_< some say its modable but i dont belive it untill i see it by my own eyes :p

Your right, it is a big difference. I'm not sure, i actually could live with the scan lines.... i'll see what type of deals i can find for the 2K though.

I do like the fact that the microphone is included, and matte finish is extra nice....

Thanks very much for the link!!! Top find. :)

I probably will just go witht he 2K... i need to think this through some more. :lol:

Wait, I still like the idea of the microphone…. If I’m in an international airport, and I have no mobile coverage,

is this a good alternative? The internet is worldwide, mobile coverage ani't, and if it is it's expensive!

from bold - does that mean for MAF it'd suck?

You could always buy the mic/headset for it. :p As for MAF...I'm concerned about that too.

scanlines sucks basically... i bought PSP-1000 o_O im amazed cause thought it will be hard to get one. im happy cause i feel it wont break in half like when im holding my buddy's slim. if anyone plan to buy psp in near future avoid the ones with "G" on the sticker with barcode ... TA-88 mainboard there... >_< some say its modable but i dont belive it untill i see it by my own eyes :p

Thanks for the heads-up! =)

Edited by Oihan

So i did a bit of research, lol no 2000 models anywhere from my calls (that's what she said)

I did call up a harvey norman bloke and questioned him about it, he had to say this (point form) -

PSP 3000 singular release

+

PSP 3000 Lego Batman bundle pack

=

Crap 1st release

PSP 3000 Wrsetling game bundle pack

=

Updated screen for the PSP 3000.

True or False? I don't know, just relaying info, i'm going to pop by and check out the differences when i can.

So i did a bit of research, lol no 2000 models anywhere from my calls (that's what she said)

I did call up a harvey norman bloke and questioned him about it, he had to say this (point form) -

PSP 3000 singular release

+

PSP 3000 Lego Batman bundle pack

=

Crap 1st release

PSP 3000 Wrsetling game bundle pack

=

Updated screen for the PSP 3000.

True or False? I don't know, just relaying info, i'm going to pop by and check out the differences when i can.

dosent matter what psp :p just get batman :D

edit*

look for daxter or ratchet bundles and dont buy anything with "G" or higher cause it sucks :D

Edited by crescens

• 3 weeks later...

lol i haven't played MAf yet, hope it isn't a common problem or i'll be handing mine back :p

So yeah Ohian, i did get a 3K! :p I tried to get a 2000 lite but there were none available!

You get yours yet?? overall i'm really happy with my psp, it's fun! Screen looks ok to me honestly.

Guess it's easier for me to swallow as i haven't had a 2000 before.

Oh and instead of Tekken, i got God of War instead, i like that much better, haven't had a chance to play it yet though.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

lol i haven't played MAf yet, hope it isn't a common problem or i'll be handing mine back :p

So yeah Ohan, i did get a 3K! :p I tried to get a 2000 lite but there were none available!

You get yours yet?? overall i'm really happy with my psp, it's fun! Screen looks ok to me honestly.

Guess it's easier for me to swallow as i haven't had a 2000 before.

Oh and instead of Tekken, i got God of War instead, i like that much better, haven't had a chance to play it yet though.

Nice! Glad to hear you're happy with it. I haven't made the plunge yet. I just might have to pick up God of War and Tekken once I finally get a PSP. It's just a matter of time and I'll have one.

Just out of curiosty. Does anybody know if this micro sd to MS pro duo adaptor works?

PhotoFast CR-5400 Dual Socket MicroSDHC to MS Pro Duo Adapter

I ordered one and 2 16gb mico sd cards. So far all the reviews I'v read, have had mixed results. :mellow:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

^^^

http://www.acegamestore.com/products/psp-m...ro-sd-cards-707

I'd also like to know about em, i want to start buying the essentials for my psp..

And here i am operating without a memory card. :lol: just fooling around. :) Going mem card shopping tomorrow.

Nice! Glad to hear you're happy with it. I haven't made the plunge yet. I just might have to pick up God of War and Tekken once I finally get a PSP. It's just a matter of time and I'll have one.

Ahh, well i'm happy enough mate! See what deals pop up for ya, i really had no choice, psp 2000's were already on evilbay for twice the price playing of the screen complaints.

Still waiting or the hacks to rol in t get mine modded properly.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

^^^

http://www.acegamestore.com/products/psp-m...ro-sd-cards-707

I'd also like to know about em, i want to start buying the essentials for my psp..

And hear i am operating without a memory card. :lol: just fooling around. :) Going mem card shopping tomorrow.

Well as I said, I already ordered it and 2 16giggers. Hoping to boost my PSP to atleast 30 gb. If it works, I plan on buying the dual memory card adaptor also (cr-3000 I think, it's called), so i can put the 30Gb card and my other 16 gig card for 45gb of space....hopefully....