What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Hey HWR, is that soda can in the background a subtle comment about the size of the tank? :lol:

Awesome work as always man!

is it only the Bandai kits that looks like they are too thick

like hmm "chunky" i think the word is?

or have they ever made a good looking

transformable/non transformable kit?

just wondering thats all!

I agree, but for nostalgia I love it! I ended up losing my old super valkyrie in a move (it was unfinished and ended up getting trashed by someone helping me move :( ), but I plan on doing another one sometime in the future in a "candy" paint style as a nod to the vintage model look. But, I do remember seeing some incredible works done from the old kits at conventions.

Thanks guys. The mud spatter effect is actually 3 different layers of effects. First is earth tone pastels mixed with alcohol applied to give a base dustiness. The second layer is my mud mix of acrylic modeling paste, tamiya Olive drab and JN green mixed. Then thined and spattered on with a toothbrush. This provided a flater spattered look of dried mud. Then a second thicker layer of the mix was dabbed on with a ratty brush to give some texture of clumpy dirt on top of the dried mud and dust. I wanted it to look like the tank had travelled alot but not gone through any deep mud. Just shallow dirty puddles that got it wet and then road and field dust and dirt that collected on it. I think it worked out well.

... I think it worked out well.

Sure did! Looks brilliant! I should have guessed that you were using a toothbrush. :) Layered weathering is a nice touch and "less is more" is one of my favorite modelling maxims. Top work.

My first foray into scratchbuilding...

Last December I purchased this:

post-3555-1206532497_thumb.jpg

...because it mentioned this:

post-3555-1206532569_thumb.jpg

...however the "detailed cockpit" was actually this:

post-3555-1206532841_thumb.jpg

...so I had my first go at scratchbuilding (in 1/100):

post-3555-1206532916_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1206532966_thumb.jpg

It was a little tedious but I'm happy with the outcome :) Any pointers would be appreciated. I've thought about drilling out instruments and detailing the seats a little more, but it is 1/100 plus hidden under closed cockpit.

Maybe add seat belts and black&yellow handles?

That's a good bit of building for 1/100 scale. I really like the way you built up the headrest areas. Belts and eject handles would probably be the most visible things you could add.

It may be just the angle of the plane in the picture, but the nose area looks a bit odd to me for some reason. Is this a pretty new kit? How's the quality in other areas? It used to be near impossible to find anything in 1/100 scale. Now I see that Tamiya has some nice looking planes released in 1/100. I don't know if those are new or reissued kits though. I've been tempted to pick one up since they're only around $8, but I've pretty much moved on to 1/72 with the Hasegawa kits and the Moscato sculpts. 1/100 is a lot cheaper though! <_<

That's a good bit of building for 1/100 scale. I really like the way you built up the headrest areas. Belts and eject handles would probably be the most visible things you could add.

It may be just the angle of the plane in the picture, but the nose area looks a bit odd to me for some reason. Is this a pretty new kit? How's the quality in other areas? It used to be near impossible to find anything in 1/100 scale. Now I see that Tamiya has some nice looking planes released in 1/100. I don't know if those are new or reissued kits though. I've been tempted to pick one up since they're only around $8, but I've pretty much moved on to 1/72 with the Hasegawa kits and the Moscato sculpts. 1/100 is a lot cheaper though! <_<

Thanks for the encouragement! I referred to a 1/72 Airwaves GRU-7s as I went.

Hey I know what you're saying about the nose! <_< Nicely spotted! It just doesn't like right to me either. I've compared the kit pieces to line art and it seems very close but I think it's a little short (1-2mm) and pointed slightly down... I thought about trying to correct it but decided I cannot be bothered with such a small cheap kit.

I've not seen the Academy kit before, but I suspect it is a repro of the AFV kit - the boxing has the same advertisement of "Full Detail Cockpit" or whatever. I'm looking forward to the final move to 1/72 too. The 1/100 jet was a stocking filler at Christmas :)

Edited by cowie165

Hey Cowie. I bought the same kit twice 3 years ago because I collect Area 88 kits. Have you noticed that the main body halves aren't symmetric? :lol: Well, mine weren't. Actually this kit was from Nichimo. Really would like to know what you'll do about the canopy.

I've almost finished painting the 1/72 Spartan. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

I can't wait to see what your Spartan looks like. ^_^

I just finshed building an 1/72 Spartan too. But this is from an old Imai kit. Here are some early pictures. Some of the details got washed out by the camera flash bulb. I will retake some photos of this green guy in a display set with proper lighting. I added a few details to it like putting in custom jeweled lens for the knee amber lights, red lens for the front scanner and crotch lights, large red lens for the rear lights and mesh screen behind the shoulder exhausts. The front four fingers have limited movement too with crude custom joints. The original kit had fixed fingers.

post-7534-1207276713_thumb.jpgpost-7534-1207276902_thumb.jpg

post-7534-1207277100_thumb.jpgpost-7534-1207276685_thumb.jpg

post-7534-1207276699_thumb.jpg

Hey Cowie. I bought the same kit twice 3 years ago because I collect Area 88 kits. Have you noticed that the main body halves aren't symmetric? :lol: Well, mine weren't. Actually this kit was from Nichimo. Really would like to know what you'll do about the canopy.

Hey TSP. I had to run and check...! :) Happy to say it looks pretty even to me. What are Area 88 kits?

And the Academy canopy looks reasonable - what is the Nichimo like? Perhaps they're different moulds.

I can't wait to see what your Spartan looks like. ^_^

I just finshed building an 1/72 Spartan too. But this is from an old Imai kit. Here are some early pictures. Some of the details got washed out by the camera flash bulb. I will retake some photos of this green guy in a display set with proper lighting. I added a few details to it like putting in custom jeweled lens for the knee amber lights, red lens for the front scanner and crotch lights, large red lens for the rear lights and mesh screen behind the shoulder exhausts. The front four fingers have limited movement too with crude custom joints. The original kit had fixed fingers.

Wow! Great spartan :) Your masking is very nice. The colour changes are very clean with some nice weathering. Boy those jeweled lenses look realistic too. Are they available in stores somewhere?

Edited by cowie165

Wow! Great spartan :) Your masking is very nice. The colour changes are very clean with some nice weathering. Boy those jeweled lenses look realistic too. Are they available in stores somewhere?

Thanks Cowie. Your 1/100 VF-1s are very nicely done. Must be difficult working with the smaller scales? :wacko:

Those jeweled lens are made by a company called M.V. Products. They are located in California. I went to my local model train hobby store to buy them. They come in various colors and sizes. These lens are mostly for "super detailing" model locomotives and traffic signals. The price of two lens are about $1 USD.

I'm not quite finish yet, but here is what I have done so far. I made one mistake by painting the main gun hatch white. What do you guys think? Should I leave it white or paint it red?

Nice work ron5864.

Looking good! I'm not a rivet counter, but leaving it white seems a little bland with three major portions in the same colour. I like the red however with some decals and weathering on the main hatch, it could come out nicely.

How did you find assembly? Any tips to offer pls?

Ron are these lenses close to what you used?

http://store.spruebrothers.com/shared/Stor...CS=sbm&All=

post-7534-1207448163_thumb.jpg

Yup! :lol: Those M.V. Product lens are what I used on both my Defender and Spartan destroid. It makes a big difference in the way the model looks. I just noticed the package states "Aircraft Recognition Lights". These are perfect for giving the VF-1 a realistic touch. The prices are reasonable.

I might even install the clear silver light on the front landing gear cover for my 1/48 Yamato valks.

Looking good! I'm not a rivet counter, but leaving it white seems a little bland with three major portions in the same colour. I like the red however with some decals and weathering on the main hatch, it could come out nicely.

How did you find assembly? Any tips to offer pls?

I was starting to think that about the color myself today. I have been adding the detail and weathering today and decided to repaint the main hatch.

The assembly is fairly easy but watch out when you work on the arms. The elbow area parts are a little thin. While cleaning off the excess I almost trimmed to much off. Also, have some of those #11 saw blades to help with the trimming of parts, or something similiar. It will save you a lot of time on sanding.

Here's what I'm working on currently: a Babylon 5 Starfury. Last year a new B5 movie came out, with an updated Starfury design. I'm trying to modify the Revell kit to look like the new version. This is the first time I've done any serious kit modifications, other than minor limb repositioning on my Godzillas. More WIP pictures at http://tenbyten.com/images/Starfury/

post-6299-1207578096_thumb.jpg

Hey guys.

Ron, your Starfury is looking good - the brass rods are a nice touch.

neptunesurvey: way to go! The red hatch came up well! I love the hands - must've been tricky work there. Is that the final matt finish? That club is screaming out for a decal like "THE PUNISHER" or something, lol

And what else is on your bench? Looks like a Tiger and some starships...?

Five minutes ago I submitted my last assignment for a few weeks, and the mailman delivered a box o' fun from HLJ today, so I'm looking forward to restarting work on my F-14!

Slightly OT but you've just gotta see this if you haven't (and you've ever built a Tamiya kit):

That was REALLY cool and spooky at the same time.

:ph34r:

Hey guys.

Ron, your Starfury is looking good - the brass rods are a nice touch.

neptunesurvey: way to go! The red hatch came up well! I love the hands - must've been tricky work there. Is that the final matt finish? That club is screaming out for a decal like "THE PUNISHER" or something, lol

And what else is on your bench? Looks like a Tiger and some starships...?

Five minutes ago I submitted my last assignment for a few weeks, and the mailman delivered a box o' fun from HLJ today, so I'm looking forward to restarting work on my F-14!

Those are the final colors, but I have not finished with the decals and the weathering. That will be finished this weekend.

Slightly OT but you've just gotta see this if you haven't (and you've ever built a Tamiya kit):

Nice kit, but it could do with some detail especially in the cymbal stands, and I think that the bass amp isn't quite the right scale. Did anybody else notice this? Have you tried to build it with the alternate percussion?

Nice kit, but it could do with some detail especially in the cymbal stands, and I think that the bass amp isn't quite the right scale. Did anybody else notice this? Have you tried to build it with the alternate percussion?

LOL

I remember when it first came out, I was waiting for the 10 oclock news to say Mcfly Sued by Japanese Plastic model manufacturer.

I thought I'd share a pic for the guys that might not use a pin vise. They are a great tool - easy to find on eBay or through HLJ. I just replaced my dodgy cheapies with Tamiya. It's worth the little bit extra.

The pin vise is great with barrels especially:

post-3555-1208057550_thumb.jpg

Bandai 1/100 Tomahawk (the holes need a little more clean up, but you get the idea :))

Edited by cowie165

The net was swamped and I only saw the first frames, but I get the idea. That's cool!

Pinvise - I use it almost as much as my X-Acto knife! I'm doing the same thing with my 1/200 Destroids. Great idea to share. - MT