DYRL: Max VF1S 001

skull001

I am curious whether Max was promoted to Skull Leader and the "001" designation after Roy's death as being deliberately arranged by the writers. In the battle against Myria, we have Max in the middle (flight leader) with Hayao and Hikaru seemingly as his wingmen.

This is interesting as (in the TV version at least), Hikaru was team leader of Max/Hayao, and I would've thought Hikaru would "inherit" the leader role and "001" designation.

So did Hikaru continue to fly the VF1A "011" and Hayao the VF1A "012" in this battle vs. Myria? Or Hikaru was already flying the VF1S by then (but with "011")? Can there by more than one VF1S at any one time? :D

Of course when Max 'deflected', Hikaru took over the "001" designation. ^_^

Hikaru was lost at the time, hence Max being promoted to 001.

Yes, in the scene when the three encounter Millia on the ocean, Max is flying the VF-1S.

When Max goes MIA in the Meltran capital ship the command of the Skull squadron then goes to Hikaru.

It wasn't really clear to me if Hikaru would have gotten command of the Skull squad even if he hadn't gone MIA with Misa. In the series, Max and Kakizaki were placed as newbies under Hikaru's command after he had gotten some combat experience, while in DYRL, all 3 were basically under Roy's command (we don't see separate "teams" within the Skull squadron in DYRL). Max was clearly the better pilot, and they both appeared equally green (maybe Hikaru even more so) in terms of being able to command a squad.

Off-topic - all the VFs in DYRL were basically upgraded to the VF-1X block standard. So when Max/Hikaru got their Skull-001, did they just swap heads and paint new numbers?

Edited by ghostryder

Where do people keep getting the idea that the VFs in DYRL were VF-1Xs? I honestly can't find an evidence for it at all other than the fact Dave Deitrich made up a service entry date that's a year or two before the in-universe release of DYRL. Everything else I've seen says that they are just late block VF-1A/J/Ss (the cockpit and hand changes are all emblematic of Block 6 and later models of VF-1 according to the Compendium).

Where do people keep getting the idea that the VFs in DYRL were VF-1Xs? I honestly can't find an evidence for it at all other than the fact Dave Deitrich made up a service entry date that's a year or two before the in-universe release of DYRL. Everything else I've seen says that they are just late block VF-1A/J/Ss (the cockpit and hand changes are all emblematic of Block 6 and later models of VF-1 according to the Compendium).

Most people don't understand the context of it. If we look at it as the film-within-a-film perspective, yes, they are VF-1Xs. If we view it as it's own continuity or as a retelling of the original series, then they are their respective models (VF-1S, VF-1A, VF-1J, etc). Since we jump around the 2 POVs without thinking about it, the confusion pops up. For the sake of ending this, let's just consider them as their respective models and leave the VF-1X for any mention of M7/VF-X/VF-X 2 era VF-1s.

Most people don't understand the context of it. If we look at it as the film-within-a-film perspective, yes, they are VF-1Xs. If we view it as it's own continuity or as a retelling of the original series, then they are their respective models (VF-1S, VF-1A, VF-1J, etc). Since we jump around the 2 POVs without thinking about it, the confusion pops up. For the sake of ending this, let's just consider them as their respective models and leave the VF-1X for any mention of M7/VF-X/VF-X 2 era VF-1s.

I'm looking at this purely in the "Film-within-a-Film" perspective. The only evidence I can find for the producers of DYRL using VF-1Xs in the film is a service entry date made up by Dave Deitrich for his RPG specs. More official sources make it sound like they are bog standard Block 6 VF-1s.

It wasn't really clear to me if Hikaru would have gotten command of the Skull squad even if he hadn't gone MIA with Misa. In the series, Max and Kakizaki were placed as newbies under Hikaru's command after he had gotten some combat experience, while in DYRL, all 3 were basically under Roy's command (we don't see separate "teams" within the Skull squadron in DYRL). Max was clearly the better pilot, and they both appeared equally green (maybe Hikaru even more so) in terms of being able to command a squad.

In the DYRL-scene after Misa just got done berating him and the Skull team entered to tease him, Max called Hikaru "sempai". Therefore he was second-in-command behind Roy rank-wise.

Edited by treatment

I think its silly because DYRL was made in 1984. They had no idea they were going to even make a Macross 7 many years later. The Planes look like regular old Valkyries from the series to me. There are minor differences like the Strike armor and Super Ostrich, etc. but essentially, they all look the same.

I think its silly because DYRL was made in 1984. They had no idea they were going to even make a Macross 7 many years later.

They had no idea a coherent continuity would be needed many years later, either.

Once they needed a coherent continuity, it made it very easy to write all the discrepancies off by labeling DYRL as a movie created within the Macross franchise.

The Planes look like regular old Valkyries from the series to me. There are minor differences like the Strike armor and Super Ostrich, etc. but essentially, they all look the same.

The cockpits are markedly different. That's the main reason for the block 6/VF-1X/whatever designation.