The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

It's armour like the GBP Valkyrie or Full armour Double Zeta in Gundam except it also has the odd spaceship mode and more then doubles the size of the machine.

Yeah. And it didn't got detached until the very end of the movie. I am kind of on the fence on this one. Really cool no doubt. But not sure how to prioritize this one on my BUY list, since I am not that attached to the movie/series. Yet it seems too cool to pass up.

Thanks for clarifying. I am starting to see how this thing is going to be.

Heh, I've spotted where the magazine says that they didn't do assault pit gimmick.

It's not that big of a deal, but Bandai could have done this with their micro-molding technology??

I am not sure I am getting this due to it's size, but if I do, I'd want 'em all.

Edited by konimon

Black Salena ... for the inner robot it is pink. The outer armour is black. You can see it in action in the nadesico movie the prince of darkness.

Just seen the normal Aestivalis from Nadesico. Like the pink and dark grey colours. *sigh* :rolleyes: I'll probably find an excuse to buy it when it comes out... it just looks so cool!

Another Dragonar picture gallery:

http://cms.or.tp/~gamu/goukin/gouki/spec/spec03/spec03.html

The Dragonar is an awesome, awesome toy. Highly recommended. Good detail and paint aps. Excellent articulation with nice solid joints and all the accessories stay on.

I'm lucky enough to have watched the Dragonar TV series a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Graham

The Dragonar is an awesome, awesome toy. Highly recommended. Good detail and paint aps. Excellent articulation with nice solid joints and all the accessories stay on.

I'm lucky enough to have watched the Dragonar TV series a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Graham

Cool, hey Graham, you have a 1J 1/48 right? Hows the length of the Dragonar's Sabers compared to one of the VF-1J's Head Lasers? I'm going to do a mod, but i soughta need to know if the Sabers are sameish length. :p

Meh it's on Backorder now at HLJ.com, i guess i missed the boat. :p Seeing that the Black Sarena is coming soon, i think i'll hold my misc. cash for the Prince of Darkness. :p I loved the Nadesico series and movie, and it would be foolish of me not to grab her when she comes up for pre-order. Dragonar is still awesome though.

If i want sabers for my 1J custom i guess i'd be better off going for a cheaper Bandai Gundam kit. :p :P :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I bought my brother the different types of Aestivalis kits available made by HG (Bandai), missing some though..

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN55156 Aestivalis

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN55171 Aestivalis OG Battle Frame

and the other hero/add on variants...

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN57136 Akatuki Custom

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN56960 Aerial Battle Frame

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN56317 Artillery Battle Frame (very cool!)

All are 1/48 scale, he still hasn't put any of them together yet the lazy bastard. :p

I think i'll do them all for him for Christmas.

Who wants the Gekiganger???? http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYAS-1

Joooooooooooooooooooooooeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Here's some other mecha i can't remember, it's been like 4 years since i watched it all.. i'll do the marathon Christmas time.

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYNA-09

There was a trio of chic pilots that join the Nadesico crew, all had different coloured Aestivalis'.

I remember the goth chick and the green haired chick well haha. Amusing personalities. I hope they get done SOC style.

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYNA-05

Their Mecha i mean.

Here they are, trouble finding them. :phttp://www.hlj.com/product/BAN59161 (3 in one pack)

and finally here's the green haired chick that piloted the Red Aestivalis, the fiesty one. :p Funny that, green hair and fiesty.

http://www.hlj.com/product/MUSNA14

oo ooo never saw this before, actual "Nadesico" kit http://www.hlj.com/product/MUSNA11

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Alright, I'm confused... how come HLJ only has the advanced silhouette Dragonar listed... that's the one I want anyways, but I want to make sure it comes with the flight-pack bc/ the photos don't show it, but I'm also curious what happened to the normal Spec Dragonar...

speaking of HLJ...i'm actually browsing the site right now and noticed the new Soul of Chogokin Spec XS-01 EVA-01.

do you guys know the scale size of this figure compared to a 1/100 master grade gundam?

or is the EVA-01 closer to a 1/144?

i know that the EVAs are depicted in many sizes on the show to evoke "greatness" on the machine, and so i asked the question above because i think it'll look great with some of my Gundam Fix i have.

i truly think that the Soul of Chogokin Spec XS-01 EVA-01 is one of the best action figures out there in terms of poseability, design...and playability.

speaking of HLJ...i'm actually browsing the site right now and noticed the new Soul of Chogokin Spec XS-01 EVA-01.

do you guys know the scale size of this figure compared to a 1/100 master grade gundam?

or is the EVA-01 closer to a 1/144?

i know that the EVAs are depicted in many sizes on the show to evoke "greatness" on the machine, and so i asked the question above because i think it'll look great with some of my Gundam Fix i have.

i truly think that the Soul of Chogokin Spec XS-01 EVA-01 is one of the best action figures out there in terms of poseability, design...and playability.

All three (00 Movie, 01, and 01 Movie Version) Spec Eva's stand roughly 7 1/2 inches in height. I'm not sure on the scale of these figs.

Alright, I'm confused... how come HLJ only has the advanced silhouette Dragonar listed... that's the one I want anyways, but I want to make sure it comes with the flight-pack bc/ the photos don't show it, but I'm also curious what happened to the normal Spec Dragonar...

Both Versions of the Dragonar come with Flight Packs and both Flight Packs are a different design.

The Opening Silhouette version out now has the nicer looking flight pack IMO, but it lacks the wing-mounted missile pods. The TV series version which will be released in December is overall not as nice looking IMO (I'm still getting it though), but has missile pods on the wings.

Graham

There's a purity to the uncluttered wing design of the Opening Silhouette version that really appeals to me... I love the way the metal gleams from the exposed joint work. I think this one already tops Layzner for 'Soul of Ohkawara' goodness. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, my Spec Movie 00 & 01 arrived. I had to post the Eva00 shield pic, it just look freaking awesome, but I can also tell you that these 2 Specs are not just re-coloured releases, Bandai has actually remodeled some of the armour parts and sculpts. Getting a little late in Sydney, so I'll do a more detail report soon.

Spec.jpg

Edited by Mowe

arent the spec ones plastic?

from what i heard the first set were quite fragile? but im looking forward to getting the movie relization spec unit when it comes out... ;-)

Im interested in how well built, hold up to poses, is it Mowe?

they definatly look cool. Can anyone remember those dodgy Sega ones they had ages back? Cut join shoulders, thighs, ball elbow and nothing else? I used to think they were cool lol

Hey Mowe, could the movie SPEC Eva 00 be posed with it's arms crossed (and the arched back) like the Fewture Getter 2 can? Could you take a pic?

I've got this crazy idea to kitbashh the 00 into a Getter but I'd like to see if it could look good.

Edited by Twoducks

Hmm, from experience, the movie realisation action figures are all plastic i.e. they're not part of the SoC Spec line. Previous releases included Devilman, Kamen Riders 1 & 2 The First ver., Spiderman and something else I can't recall, if my memory serves me right.

The TV Spec Eva-01 had fragile hip joints didn't they? Apart from that I didn't hear of anything else having problems. It doesn't look like the internal skeleton is resculpted from what I've seen so far, but I could be wrong. Still, the TV Spec Eva-01 had so many gadgets though; seems a better deal if they didn't fix the hip joints. Hmmm.

Ok, here are some comments on the Bandai SOC Spec Movie Evas:

1. Improved Sculpt

One of the biggest issue that I had with the original Eva Spec was the clumsiness of its armored body, it looked too fat to be the lean Eva beast. To my surprise, Bandai has actually re-sculpted a number of armors & body parts to make the Evas look slimmer and meaner. Most changes occur from the waist up and are relatively minor but are definitely noticeable. The skeleton body has no re-sculpting at all. Changes includes:

a. Armored Head - the whole head was resclupted and reduced in size to give the overall figure a more heroic and leaner proportion. I also like the rounder skull look.

b. Lengthened Neck - This was done for 2 reasons: slimmer look (the original Spec Eva had a turtle neck) & improved head and jaw movement (the original Spec Eva can't open its mouth fully and has limited neck rotation)

c. Smaller Backpack and shoulder cover plate - thus a slimmer look

d. Smaller Waist Line - its 3 abdominal pieces had been re-sculpted to give the ab more definition.

e. The Shoulder Blades - Bandai has put in a lot of effort to re-sculpt the should blades. Not only does it look slicker, the re-designing of the Progressive Knife Storage is the best I've seen - it is simply a stunner. When it is shut, the right shoulder blades looks exactly the same (and as slim) as the left shoulder blade. The way the Progressive knife is designed to folded should received a Noble Peace Prize for Engineering. They also separated the tricep blade from the main shoulder blade enabling better arm movement.

f. The upper arm - the upper arm was lengthen for the slimmer look.

g. The Forearm Blade - I am so happy to see this piece got re-sculpted. The old one looked really clumsy and it was always an eye sore (to me anyway...).

h. The Thigh Cover plate - very minor re-sculpt, but it is a little wider now, to give the upper thigh a bit more definition.

2. Paint Application

- The new purple and green is definitely different when compared to the old. The new purple has a slightly deeper tint and a bit flatter. I like it. The issue that I had with the original paint was that it was too plastic-ish. The new flatter purple has more of a metal feel. The flat white used on the Eva-00 is really beautifully applied. The green is the movie green - less fluro than the original.

- I find that the Eva-00 has better paint QC and application than the Eva-01. My Eva-01 has a few minor paint blotches. No big deal at all.

- Bandai added more paint detail to the under side of the armor boot (nice touch) but deleted the forearm etching text "EVA 01 TEST" as well as the shoulder etching text "EVA". I think they did it to be more movie accurate (but I personally prefers the old etching)

3. Part Fit & QC

- Most part fit pretty well, as good as the original issue.

- the right shin armor fit is still not as good as the rest of the armor (the original has the same problem too), but it is bearable.

- I heard rumors that the famous groin joint has been redesigned after a few breakage incident occurred. But I swear I couldn't tell the difference when I compare the old with the new. Maybe they improved with the materials. I think the groin joint could be a problem if you bent it without checking the direction of the ball-joint.

- all movement joint are tight with very good built quality.

4. Accessories

- Mix feeling with the accessories.

- The Eva-00 comes with the gorgeous Enchanted Shield of Virtue - I would buy the Spec for this reason alone. It is really beautifully sculpted and painted. Flawless and big.

- Other Eva-00 accessories includes: hand cuff; riffle; power cord; melted version of the back pack with the termination signal entry plug (the cross), and the normal entry plug. So I am a bit disappointed not more weapons were included. There are plenty of empty spaces on plastic casing for more weapons or batteries pack. I would pay an extra $10 to get a few more grams of plastic, but Bandai didn't think so...disappointed.

- The Eva-01 has the movie version of the Gatling Gun and the beautiful progressive knife. The Gatling gun is really nice but it is quit heavy for the Eva to hold it in a fix pose.

- Other Eva-01 accessories includes: riffle (same as Eva-00) and the entry plug. This mean the Movie Eva-001 does not come with hand guns and the twin samurai blade (which the original version has). Bummer...

5. Die-cast Content

- The Spec line has the SOC banner but it is really a different breed to the real SOC line (in terms of quality and diecast content).

- The Movie version has the same diecast content as the original version: i.e. diecast to the chest plates; the thigh armor; the shin armor; the boot; and to some of the connection joint within the skeleton body.

- The rest of the armor are all plastic; but with the movie version, the paint application are much better and some plastic parts has the appearance of metal, this is especially true to Eva-00.

Conclusion

I got these as a combo for 6300yen on Yahoo JP (about $65USD in total), so I think for that amount, they are very worthwhile. Bandai has now fixed a few of the sculpting issues and made improvement with the paint application. I am now quite happy with these Movie Spec Evas. I like its size (8 inches to the top of forehead), I like it has some diecast content, and it has fairly good movement. It can be a fun toy as well as a display peice. Not the best sculpt but good enough now to be a good all rounder. Also, I am pretty sure Bandai will continue this line with the remaining Evas.

Bottom line: for the right price, the Movie Spec Evas are good additions to the ever growing Eva merchandise, but stay away from the TV version. If I have to pick one, I pic EVA00...for now anyway...

2 Ducks: The Movie Spec can arch to an degree but not much, however, it can definitely fold cross arm - see pic.

Some pics and comparison shots:

Spec.jpg

post-3608-1195475498_thumb.jpgpost-3608-1195475511_thumb.jpgpost-3608-1195475524_thumb.jpgpost-3608-1195476143_thumb.jpg