Heroes

Dangard Ace

With the writers on strike, it looks like volume 2 will end with an altered version of the final episode instead of going ahead with volume 3 as originally planned.

Let's see how long the writers' strike lasts. Then we shall see if any show comes back on next year since we still have the actors' and directors' strike coming up in June 2008.

Sonuvbitch. I didn't realise Heroes was on at 7pm today for Canadians. Gotta wait for the NBC showing now.

Sucks that I read who Adam Monroe is

Kensei.

FINALLY! Two good episodes in a row. I can now recommend that people start watching this show again. It just got interesting.

Can we get rid of Sylar? He's boring......

Adam/Kensei feel like a much better villain this season. His power, we've seen, but there's a good motivation behind his story.

The uniqueness of Sylar is gone. He's boring now. He's whiny now. "I want my powers back, wah!" It would have been nice to not have him come back at all this season.

Can we get rid of Sylar? He's boring......

Adam/Kensei feel like a much better villain this season. His power, we've seen, but there's a good motivation behind his story.

The uniqueness of Sylar is gone. He's boring now. He's whiny now. "I want my powers back, wah!" It would have been nice to not have him come back at all this season.

Hmmm, you know, we could end up with a predestination paradox of some kind.

Adam/Kensei goes around and spread his seed out to get the current generation of heroes, and then, they have a big fight, at the end of it, the Haitian erases all his memories of the last few hundred years, Parkman alters the rest, and Hiro teleports him back to Japan before with a made up memory. That would be a kick wouldn't it. If he is the progenitor of all these mutants, and he himself came out of nowhere. I didn't see the spoilers before hand, but right as Kensei started the spiel about I'll kill all your loved ones, it became obvious that he was going to show up in the future, the Wolverine like powers just doesn't surprise me. I guess a combo of healing and eternal youth.... wonder if he can be killed at all, or with my suggestion, he would be stuck in his own private hell and never realize it.

As for Sylar, I like him still, his is also a journey that needs to happen, I want him to have his powers back. Cause Petrelli is too powerful.

Heroes Season 2 a.k.a. Who cares if the writers are on strike when our major storyarc is pretty much the Legacy Virus from X-men.

Will Piotr save the day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_virus

LOL Through the magic of find and replace we get:

The Suresh Virus was actually a viroid and was released by Maury Parkman. It originally existed in two forms, Suresh-1 and Suresh-2, but later mutated into a third form, Suresh-3

Suresh-1 attacked general transcription and replication of all cells, a messy and non-selective process that resulted in a condition akin to a fast-replicating cancer. This is the version that infected Nathan Petrelli, brother of Peter Petrelli. Suresh-2, however, was much closer to Adam Munroe's original template and more in tune to his desire to kill anyone dear to Hiro Nakamura. Its attacks were selective, working only on the X-factor genes. The net result was that a victim would eventually lose control of his superhuman powers. In addition to developing at a far slower rate than Suresh-1, victims of Suresh-2 developed skin lesions, fever, cough and overall weakness. The slow nature of Suresh-2 is why Gabriel "Sylar" Gray survived for years following his initial infection.

Suresh-3 was a complete fluke, accidentally created in the body of a special known as Niki Sanders. Niki had herself been infected with the Suresh Virus, which her own powers tried to stave off. In doing so, they caused a replication error in the Suresh-2 viroid that was killing her. The viroid's conditioning—to not infect if no X-gene was found in the host—was stripped. When Mohinder Suresh opened Niki's containment chamber in an act of compassion to allow her one final look at the night sky, he inadvertently released this new "free agent" strain. Suresh-3 was capable of infecting any living being that fit within the parameters of its general original template; that is, hominids only, not canines, felines , etc. Noah Bennet seemed to have been the first non-special human to be infected with Suresh-3. He passed on the data he had gathered to the Haitian, before being killed by Suresh using a company gun provided by Bob. Suresh was able to devise a cure, though one that had a price; the virus had first been released by the death of the first victim, and the release of the cure would have the same effect. Peter Petrelli volunteered to be the victim so no one would lose someone dear to them as he had.

The Suresh Virus was based on a virus created by Adam Munroe in the distant future, which was intended to kill anyone dear to Hiro Nakamura. At the time that this alternate version of Adam Munroe was killed, the virus had not been perfected, and much like Suresh-3, it targeted all humans indiscriminately. As a result, this virus was never deployed, until Maury Parkman acquired it and altered it for his own purposes.

Edited by chowyunskinny

While I can understand why many comic readers like to take jabs at Heroes for lifting many ideas and storylines from existing comics, I think you need to remember that the vast majority of this show's audience (myself included) have probably not read a comic book in many years, if ever. As such, they have no idea that these stories are extremely similar (almost identical in some cases it would seem) to various comic books. That being said, even if everyone was aware, I don't think that most would care. I know I don't. The show is just plain fun. Also, I give them a bit of leniency in the creativity department, as I can only imagine how difficult it most be to try and come up with something that hasn't already been done. Honestly, aren't there tons of comic book heroes that are only slight variations of other heroes? Storylines mostly repeat in comics as well don't they? Sure there might be a tiny detail here or there that are different, but don't they all sort of seem to borrow and steal from each other? It's been a LONG time since I read comics, but even back then that was the case. In summary, while I understand people's desire to point out various points of originality, I still enjoy the show :D

To build on Mister E's statement, this is also the best representation of a lot of comic story lines that has been translated to motion pictures. There've been several very good superhero movies, but rarely are they able to capture the emotional depth and complexity of the comics. Heroes manages that, by not burdening the viewer with a lot of backstory (at least from the outset) or strange settings. It is building a large, interesting cast of characters over time. (Sure, I too am weary of the wonder twins, but I gotta hope all this is a solid foundation for later eps) And the most surprising thing is that it's kept people's interest. It had a bit of a rough start to it's sophomore season, but after this week, it looks like it's back on the ball.

Mister E: I pity the fool who steps on my really, really big shoe...

I think people were miffed because Tim Kring, the show's creator, went on record and stated numerous times in interviews that he hasn't read comic books yet the show is chokefull of elements and plot lines borrowed from comic books.

That could have been the case though, his ignorance of comic lore certainly would prevent him from recognizing that his writers are plagiarizing heavily.

Jeph Loeb, one of the exectutive producers is a very well known comic book writer.

he has worked on Captain America, Batman...too many too list.

he has collaberated with comic artists Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, Tim Sale...again, too many too list.

Im sure having Loeb and Tim Sale (famous comic artist) working on the show, there are plenty of comic stories and ideas being tossed around without Kring having read a comic.

Edited by Jeremy007

I think you need to remember that the vast majority of this show's audience (myself included) have probably not read a comic book in many years, if ever

Yes, but I think it will be the comic fans who would probably stay more devoted to the show after the novelty has run out with the Average Joes. Loyal fanbases can be a powerful thing (Firefly fans, Jericho fans) and losing that demographic by lifting major storylines without changing them much is a bad move IMO. I found the virus plot humorous because just like Jolly Rogers mentioned, Tim Kring has said he does not have a comic book background. But as Jeremy007 has pointed out, he collaborates with people who are in the comic book industry. Which makes it even more amusing to me that they weren't like, "uh...X-men kind of already did that...the comic fans will probably recognize it..." Or maybe in anticipation of the writers strike they needed a new story arc asap and resorted to some heavy borrowing.

this is also the best representation of a lot of comic story lines that has been translated to motion pictures. There've been several very good superhero movies, but rarely are they able to capture the emotional depth and complexity of the comics

Well Yeah, that's a given. 23 forty minute episodes versus 1 two and a half hour long movie is Going to allow for more emotional depth and complexity :rolleyes:

Found this article there, which is the true answer to what the second season needs--- more HRG:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20036782_2...0152506,00.html

At least Kring realizes exactly what's wrong--Claire in love is sappy and pointless, Hiro was in Japan *way* too long, and the big "plot of doom" took too long to get to. (And I also think Peter was in Ireland without his memory too long)

Found this article there, which is the true answer to what the second season needs--- more HRG:

At least Kring realizes exactly what's wrong--Claire in love is sappy and pointless, Hiro was in Japan *way* too long, and the big "plot of doom" took too long to get to. (And I also think Peter was in Ireland without his memory too long)

The season is starting to come together though, I like the turn they did with Mr. Sark and putting him in the present. Heck, he could be the progenitor of all the other heroes. But that said, HRG is what is needed in this season. If you think about it, he is one more or less helpless guy that can affect things in lots of ways. Hell, look at what he did for fat boy Parkman.

not only that, but it took 8 eps for maya and alejandro to REACH the border....lame.

this part of the story is just dragging.

not only that, but it took 8 eps for maya and alejandro to REACH the border....lame.

this part of the story is just dragging.

The illegals are just a way to make Sylar shine, unfortunately, Sylar hasn't shined at all right now. I'm not digging the powers on the wonder twins. If they both die along the way, I wouldn't mind.

The illegals are just a way to make Sylar shine, unfortunately, Sylar hasn't shined at all right now. I'm not digging the powers on the wonder twins. If they both die along the way, I wouldn't mind.

not to mention the not so subtle digs on people who think that illegals shouldn't be able to just walk into the country.

Yeah, Nikki is a useless character IMO. I'm sure somebody out there totally digs her character, but other than being very attractive, she just isn't very interesting. While Maya's power could have some uses, her brothers power seems completely useless (at least based on what we've seen thus far). His power exists only to cancel our his sister...lame.

It's good that Kring himself is acknowledging what went wrong in the first few eps... last ep was good, next ep looks good from the trailers too.

From the ew article:

"THE ROOKIES DIDN'T GREET THEMSELVES PROPERLY New Heroes Monica (Dana Davis), Maya (Dania Ramirez), and Alejandro (Shalim Ortiz) ''shouldn't have been introduced in separate story lines that felt unattached to the show. The way we introduced Elle (Kristen Bell) — by weaving her in via Peter's story line — is a more logical way to bring new characters into the show.'' (That said, Kring says a few newbies won't make it beyond this second volume, which wraps Dec. 3"

Read somewhere that Elle is supposed to be involved through the season, Monica still has to become St Joan... so that leaves... the twins? So far they're quite shallow, the show would'nt miss them much, methinks.

I'm not impressed by the villian sheet. We still got Sylar, which is pretty much comic relief because he can't to much of anything, when he prided himself on being 'special' before, so you can laugh at his ineptitude. Then Adam? Hiro or Peter need to send back in time for him a copy of Jim Croce's 'Operator', let him have a good cry and get over it. His background is about as retarded as the Highander 4's villian was, though I liked his psycho-side. Speaking of which, why hasn't anyone taken his head yet, and with it his power(ohhhhh, maybe THAT'S why Sylar is still around!)

It would have been better if Sylar, Nathan, and Peter had died in teh explosion at the end of season 1. Their stories would have ended on a high as their character arcs were completed.

finally got around to watching last week's episode... God, the claire storyline really sucks. I know she's the IT girl of the moment and all, but making her the central character AGAIN is just boring as hell. And having claire choose scary stalker BF over her family just makes her look really dumb.

finally the flashback episode ^_^

awesome points of the ep

- Showing Nathan's skin fry and melt XD

- peter and kensei/ adam meeting / curing nathan

- DL becoming a likable character before biting it

Bad points of the ep

- No back story on sylar

Can't wait to see whats going to happen now that things are FINALLY moving forward

My friend has a theory on adam that he too has absorbing powers

1. He is still just as young as he was 400 years ago but claire has had her powers since she was little and she aged so unavoidable plot hole?

2. ^ if above is true running into hiro would then give him time traveling powers

3. When peter arrives he has his "trip to the future" which coulda been adam making the crazy dream world and getting rid of the girl while peter was in it

4. Adam has something to do with the article on hawaii snowing but that also coulda been a tidal wave destroying the west coast so maybe he has some crazy other power there...

Now the only problem is how he got the healing power and a few other flaws it would be a neat thing to see happen although I wouldn't like it as we already had a villian last season with more or less the same power.

but things I hope to happen soon. Sylar kills the mexicans and claires BF dies a slow agonizing death and mohinder dies due to backing out on claires dad as he has already showed no sypathy to anyone thus why we love him ^_^

but things I hope to happen soon. Sylar kills the mexicans and claires BF dies a slow agonizing death and mohinder dies due to backing out on claires dad as he has already showed no sypathy to anyone thus why we love him ^_^

Agreed on almost all the points, but I thought the following was also not so great....

Focusing on the bro/sis of doom, I can't stand them, I hope Sylar does kill them. I wish they could've shown more on HRG and Mohinder and what they had planned out. Sylar backstory would've been really nice.

I don't mind if Mohinder lives, and I think Kensei story has a lot of potential, but Kring needs to stop wasting his time and get things moving, the story is still a bit too boring.

Yeah, I was disappointed that in this fill in the blank episode, so much time was spent on the twins. It really didn't show us anything new about them. It did confirm what a dumbass Alejandro is, though. "Oh yeah, I invited my wife's sultry ex-boyfriend to the wedding, look at them dancing hip-to-hip - what's the big deal?" And does anyone believe that it's a coincidence that Peter was stuck in a cell next to Adam, that just happened to have a grate in the wall so they could converse easily?

Edited by Kelsain