The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

Save the anti-Sony fanboy garbage. The Dual shock isn't crap, the D-pad is. Sans the D-pad, the design makes sense.

Not really, when you consider that the analog sticks were just stuck on the bottom of the regular PS pad, there isn't much logic to it, save for Sony trying to not alter their original design. The simple truth is seperated analog sticks (not placed right next to each other) simpyl work better for a wider variety of games.

What feels like crap to one fits another's hand perfectly. I never had a problem with the Dual Shock other than the ridiculous d-pad. The Xbox and even the controller S made my hands hurt, the Gamecube one makes my thumbs numb after 30 mins.

All said, I use a Logitech Cordless Action for my PS2 and have never looked back.

Edited by Gaijin

Not really, when you consider that the analog sticks were just stuck on the bottom of the regular PS pad, there isn't much logic to it, save for Sony trying to not alter their original design. The simple truth is seperated analog sticks (not placed right next to each other) simpyl work better for a wider variety of games.

I dunno the analog sticks work fine for me. I like where they are at. Its good for driving/racing games. But name me some games that benefit from truly seperated analog sticks.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a Sony fanboy(or any fanboy of anything). I just go where the games I like are. Hell I probably end with a 360 before anything. I just get tired of reading that anytime someone likes a product of Sony they get branded as a twit or some other negative term. Granted Sony is deserving of some of the bashing with PS3, blu-ray BS, its price etc.

The majority loved the 2600 stick and NES pad too.

Are you going to tell me they aren't hideous hand-crippling nightmares?

The DualShock is crap. There is no sense to the design, and the only reason it reigns today is that a bunch of twits that got started on the PlayStation refuse to accept change.

Yep. I agree. But uhm, the worst controller I ever saw were those gigantic XBox controllers that were originally included with the system. WTF was that about? I may be an adult, but those giant things didn't make me feel like being grown up is a really cool elitist position to be in. They made me feel like Microsoft was retarded.

First person shooters.

They didn't really have that much FPS on the Ps1 or PS2 platform to begin with and it's not really their top seller. Microsoft on the other hand is different since one of their tops seller is a FPS. So you see. for MS they need a controller that's good for FPS but PS3 needs a more flexible controller to deal with their width selection of games.

But with the Ps3 it'll be a different story. The new PS3 controller may look similar but they did add improvments here and there (trigger buttons, wireless, 6 x movement detection thingies). so if they use those 6 x thinges correctly , this new Ps3 controller would be better for FPS games then Microsofts.

Also the PS3 will have a keyboard and mouse setup too, but I'm not sure about the Xbox 360.

Oh, I have no problem with the DS controller. I thinks it's one of the best controllers around. I'm even using it for computer games by getting a USB adapter. But I'll trully miss the rumble feature, which is a big plus when you play Gran Turismo games, but oh well, I'll just use the new Logitech Wheel when it comes out because I'm going to get it anyways. And that will surely have FORCEFEED BACK. :)

At that point, if they wanted to give out the disc "free" it would make sense. But to buy a disc that gives ou absolutely nothing, and then having to pay again for game components is infinately gay.

Hey, I've got an idea. They should also charge you for auto-repair everytime you have a collision on the track. Include realistic damage, & realistic sheister mechanics. Brilliant!

So "pay-to-play" console gaming has become firmly established with Sony's entry. Good! Now that means only a few more years until they've brainwashed enough people and made the internet so relied(businesses of all types are having 90% of the paperwork digital entered as to cutdown on paper costs) upon that they can establish their "pay-per-page view" micropayment system that doesn't have to run through a bank! ^_^

And you think PayPal lost money!!! :lol:

The DualShock is crap. There is no sense to the design, and the only reason it reigns today is that a bunch of twits that got started on the PlayStation refuse to accept change.

Funny, I find the Dual Shock one of the better controllers, at least for my hands. It's simple, elegant, and moderately comfortable, but I will say that I wouldn't mind something a little bigger and better analog trigger buttons. But for me, it handedly beats both the N64 and Gamecube controllers, the latter of which causes pain for my hands faster and worse than anything I've ever laid hands on. I haven't played with the 360's controller yet, but I imagine that it wouldn't be too bad given I thought the original XBox controller okay. I will miss the six thumb buttons for Capcom fighters though. Of course, I could just get a real 6 button arcade stick if I cared that much.

I never really had complaints about the DS2 until I played my 360 for awhile. Having gone back to San Andreas in between Oblivion and Lego SW2 on the 360, I noticed my hand cramping quite a bit more. I don't have huge hands and I just think it's ergonomics are a bit too Japanese small...

I didn't like the GC or N64 pads one bit. The 360's controllers are definitely superior to the original Xbox controller. I like the triggers and shoulder buttons of the 360 pad, too, though I used to forget the shoulders were there when I first got it and they are a tad bit high.

The Batarang looks like it would be perfect with just slightly smaller handles... I do like the triggers on the PS3 and think their position slightly improved compared to the 360. I just think the general shape of the Batarang will make my hands less prone to cramping. l

As F360° indicated, there are triggers on the PS3 controller. the L2 and R2 are triggers. They feel a bit wierd, but I think people will adapt to it. Also, the PS3 controller feels really cheap now, without the wieghts of the rumbles, it feels really light and cheap ^_^;;

I think there's a new name for the Ps3 controller, since it can't be call Dual "shock" anymore without the "shock" :-p

Yep. I agree. But uhm, the worst controller I ever saw were those gigantic XBox controllers that were originally included with the system. WTF was that about? I may be an adult, but those giant things didn't make me feel like being grown up is a really cool elitist position to be in. They made me feel like Microsoft was retarded.

No, the worst controller, by far, is the Jaguar controller. At least, the worst controller I'm familier with.

And I still believe no controller is good for every sort of game. You really want to enjoy a game, you need the controller that works best for it.

Hey I had a mouse and keyboard on my Sega Dreamcast. Helped me to kick butt on Unreal Tournament. ;)

Thank you.

I had a keyboard for PSO and also bought a mouse and keyboard and an adapter for my buddies XBox for Halo2. Needless to say, I was untouchable.

The PS2 was originally supposed to have built in software for usb keyboards and mice but never got it. Not just for games that supported it like FFXI.

FPS' weren't made for consoles. Don't care what anyone says. Those sticks (on ANY controller) are trash for them.

Just my thoughts though.

Anyway.. here are some pics of the Ninja Gaiden remake for the PS3. PS3 really needs new properties...I'm so sick of farting sequels and remakes.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0609/game060926d.shtml

Games are most likely going to be 59.99. I hope games don't go up much more. I don't feel like going back to the days of paying 75.00 for a game. For example: Chrono Trigger for the SNES.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158689.html

I generally don't mind sequels, so long as they're new enough to be interesting. Unfortunately, most sequels are minor itterations, with not much putting them over their predecessors.

What annoys me is when new franchises do appear, but die out quickly because people overlook them on their way to buy the latest ittertion of a franchise they already have several nearly identical itterations of.

FPS' weren't made for consoles. Don't care what anyone says. Those sticks (on ANY controller) are trash for them.

Older FPSes worked nicely on consoles, though(provided there was enough power available, which there usually wasn't).

Wolfenstien, Doom, a bunch of not-iD games that no one ever really cared about and never actually GOT ports, as long as it's a 2D map it works.

It's only the ones where you need control of the view angle where it becomes an issue.

And thumbsticks suck in general. Got nothing to do with FPSes.

What annoys me is when new franchises do appear, but die out quickly because people overlook them on their way to buy the latest ittertion of a franchise they already have several nearly identical itterations of.

RIP Beyond Good and Evil.

On controllers,somebody mentioned the huge controller that originally came with the X-BOX,around here they were called the "Duke".I have a magazine from a couple years back where Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick said the "Dukes" were too large and made HIS hands hurt!

On the PS3 issue$600 is two months spending money for me-that price is gonna have to come way down.Actually I'm more interested in the Nintendo Wii.

I heard that Sony is reducing the PS3 prices in Japan only to under $500 (for the ones with bigger drives).

It's a shame they don't plan to do that in the States <_<

That kind of pisses me off. Are they that confident that the USA will fatten their pockets no matter what that they'll leave our prices higher?

I heard that Sony is reducing the PS3 prices in Japan only to under $500 (for the ones with bigger drives).

It's a shame they don't plan to do that in the States <_<

I' think you heard wrong,, the price reduction was for the 20GB version, which was anouced at the time of TGS, it will be around $430 in Japan. Also in case you haven't heard, all PS3 will have HDMI ports now, even the 20gb version.

That kind of pisses me off. Are they that confident that the USA will fatten their pockets no matter what that they'll leave our prices higher?

well don't get mad at something that's not yet confirm, only the 20BG version is getting a price cut. The pricing over in japan is different. Their Console games and DVDs normally cost more then the US. Pricing on items goes up or down depending on location. Just like how they can get Macross items for a lower price than people living in the USA. If you are that pissed off over this, wait until you see the difference in the Pricing of Microsoft Xbox 360 Consoles/ items in japan, they are WAY cheaper there then anywhere else.

Of course I wasn't all that happy with only Japan gets a pricecut either. But instead of $499 (no HDMI) to now $499 (have HDMI) is surely somewhat good news, it would have been great new if the US gets the price cut too, but oh well that's life, you win some you lose some. :)

Edited by F360°

Are you upset also that some 360 games are $5 in Japan since nobody wants them?

IPB Image

Regarding the price cut for the 20GB PS3 in Japan, from my understanding Sony was doing this in order to make sure that this version of the PS3 would actually sell. Most of Japanese gamers are interested in the 60GB version.

Considering that almost no one will be able to actually find a PS3 in the U.S. until March or February (this giong by the usual standard of "we couldn't produce enough systems, so there's going to be a shortage until after kids get their christmas money, and then there will be tons) I wouldn't be too worried about launch prices. Chances are there will be a decent price cut on the PS3 by around this time or christmas next year. And then I shall buy both the system & MGS4....excellent.

I kinda doubt we'll see a price cut that soon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the PS2 go two years before a price cut? And if I remember correctly, it's only had one price cut since it launched, and is still going for about $200.

The PS2 didn't get its first price cut until around the 2002 E3 if I recall correctly.

With the PS3 probably losing at least $200 a system already (some sources for a while now has been saying that the PS3 costs around $800 or more to make), the earliest I would see Sony cutting the price on the system is the spring of 2008. But it just all depends on how well it sells in the next year or so and how desparate Sony becomes to get these out to the market.

Microsoft with the 360 has been estimated to be losing $125 or more on each system. Even with the impending release of the Wii and PS3, Microsoft appears to be holding off on a price cut any time soon. I would not be surprised if they make a modest $50 cut right nefore the Wi and PS3 launches (the announcement will come late next month or early November), but otherwise my guess for MS' first cut for their system will be next spring.

I think Sony is doing Microsoft a huge favor by having such a high price point. If the top of the line PS3 were to be competively priced with the top of the line 360, then Microsoft might have felt more pressue to cut their prices. But with the PS3 costing so much more than the 360, the only other price competition comes from the Wii, which I'm thinking is only really going to appeal to a smaller market anyhow and probably won't be any real competition. Just my 2c