The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

Yes I did use two "!" to purposely correspond and mirror the two i's in Wii. :)

Anyway, lots of news and developments for the Big N's next system. Here in the US it will retail for $249.95/.99, but it will be coming with a sports compilation game which will put the Wii-mote to good use. Japan will be getting it closer to $200, but no pack in.

Here are some of the developments posted at Gamespot:

Wii released in Japan on December 2nd for $213.

Wii released in the US on November 19th for right at $250. (Again, with a game pack in).

Nintendo's Wii press event today.

So who's thinking of getting a Wii as their main or secondary system (otherwise the whole Wii60 phenomenom)?

I want to know what colors it comes in. We saw like 6 preview colors a long time ago, but we still don't even know the "main" color, much less the alternates. Though since the wiimote is white in every pic from the last 6 monhts, plus being the main DS lite color, odds are it's white.

Anyways---after Zelda, I want Mario All-Stars for it. I don't care if it's downloaded or sold on a disc, I just want Mario 1-3. I just find playing on a TV so much more satisfying----the majority of GBA games I own have only ever been played on my TV via GC. My GBA hasn't even been turned on in years. Though the GBA has Yoshi's Island and Mario World available, in addition to Mario 1-3...

Nintendo has been surprisingly quiet on what old games will be available, and how. Will they sell all the old Mario games one by one? Or as a big multi-pack? Or will they restrict them to keep sales of the GBA versions up?

Personally, I would LOVE to just go into a store and buy a Wii disc with a bunch of old NES/SNES games on it. Better than downloading IMHO. Instant gratification, and no messy "linking console serials with right to play downloaded games" like the 360. If you own the disc, you own the game.

And I need Bonk's Adventure too, one of the few "mascot" games I never really played. I have like 20 minutes on it on a Turbo Duo.

Personally Twilight Princess will be my buy with the Wii no doubt. For $250 the price of a PSP? I think I found my money's worth.

I wonder how the DS/lite will work with the Wii, and how much Wii games will be.

I'm too lazy to look it up.

But damn, the price is good. :ph34r:

I hope to god they have the original Super Off-Road (not "The Baja") for SNES on there. I don't want to have to go find a Arcade machine to buy...

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an NES/SNES/Genesis(it was on all 3)?

Though the arcade machine has the advantage of steering wheels and a gas pedal.

I hope to god they have the original Super Off-Road (not "The Baja") for SNES on there. I don't want to have to go find a Arcade machine to buy...

My buddy just remodeled his house and added a bar downstairs complete with the Super-Off-Road arcade machine and I must say... that's the way to go. Cranking those wheels and throwing elbows at your buddies while getting plastered is sure a heck of a lot more fun than sitting in the living room. Too bad you can't pick up an arcade machine for like $200 though...

Edited by jenius

The issue isn't ownership/cost, it's convenience. I already own half the old-school games I want for the Wii--it's just that I don't have room to hook up another half-dozen systems to play them. Goes along with my PS2--I wouldn't play nearly as many old PSX games if the PS2 couldn't play them. I have my PS2 on top of my DVD player (thank you Slim) just to have enough room to keep 3 systems.

If they ever make a DECENT Virtual On for PS2 etc, I could put my DC away forever. Oh, and re-release Soul Calibur 1 on something. That one still has the best stages and music of the series by far.

Yes I did use two "!" to purposely correspond and mirror the two i's in Wii. :)

Anyway, lots of news and developments for the Big N's next system. Here in the US it will retail for $249.95/.99, but it will be coming with a sports compilation game which will put the Wii-mote to good use. Japan will be getting it closer to $200, but no pack in.

Here are some of the developments posted at Gamespot:

Wii released in Japan on December 2nd for $213.

Wii released in the US on November 19th for right at $250. (Again, with a game pack in).

Nintendo's Wii press event today.

So who's thinking of getting a Wii as their main or secondary system (otherwise the whole Wii60 phenomenom)?

I will get it. btw. it will be REGION FREE!

Just got back from checking the news.

Hmmn, white only. I really hate white systems ever since I got my GBA. (DC's and 360's aren't white, they're pale grey---though the 360 is so pale it might as well BE white--I plan to get a skin for it though).

Old games are cheap enough, but I'd still like a "discount bulk" compiliation pack. And they've only announced first-party games. You know "Castlevania 1-3" would sell a zillion copies if Konami makes it available. And it'd be like a 4-sec download.

Question: for the the sports games using the wiimote etc---how much room do you need? I mean, if I want to play wii tennis or something--will I need like a 6-foot radius clear around me, or can I play sitting in my chair and just using wrist movements? If you need 1:1 scale space for wii bowling, that won't work.

Old games are cheap enough, but I'd still like a "discount bulk" compiliation pack. And they've only announced first-party games. You know "Castlevania 1-3" would sell a zillion copies if Konami makes it available. And it'd be like a 4-sec download.

I'm still waiting for a localized Rondo of Blood.

But I hate NES Castlevania, so... whatever.

If they offer Ninja Gaiden, though...

Question: for the the sports games using the wiimote etc---how much room do you need? I mean, if I want to play wii tennis or something--will I need like a 6-foot radius clear around me, or can I play sitting in my chair and just using wrist movements? If you need 1:1 scale space for wii bowling, that won't work.

What I've heard said is that just wrist motions will work, but they'll be "more fun" if you make a complete fool of yourself.

Haven’t gotten a new console since the Dreamcast but the Wii is the next gen console that’s tempting me. Party games when you have people over with that controller could be really fun.

I read that it can play DVD’s. Any news if it can play burned DVD’s and Divx and AVI videos? I’m thinking on getting a new DVD player with this features and if the Wii does them more points in its favour.

Including the controller for the virtual games would have been icing on the cake. Either way, being able to play old games in the living room without having to sit in front of the PC for emulating sounds great. Wonder how many buttons does the controller have.

Could the Wii in the future play Saturn, Sega CD and 32x games also? I mean, it’s just an issue of getting the license, right?

I read that it can play DVD’s.

It was GOING to be able to, if you purchased an external dongle like the XBox1(keeps the DVD playback license cost out of the system).

It's not going to now. Nintendo decided there was no point, what with you being able to buy an entire standalone DVD player for 30$.

Including the controller for the virtual games would have been icing on the cake. Either way, being able to play old games in the living room without having to sit in front of the PC for emulating sounds great. Wonder how many buttons does the controller have.

The "classic" controller is like a handle-less DualShock, if I recall. 2 sets of shoulder buttons, 4 face buttons, select, start, and a pair of analog sticks(dunno if they're clicky).

Could the Wii in the future play Saturn, Sega CD and 32x games also? I mean, it’s just an issue of getting the license, right?

I'd be hesitant to place Saturn and 32x bets, but SegaCD has good odds.

It's a matter of processing power and system complexity more than licensing.

Both systems are very complex and fairly powerful.

I wouldn't place bets on either of them being practical on the Wii.

It was GOING to be able to, if you purchased an external dongle like the XBox1(keeps the DVD playback license cost out of the system).

It's not going to now. Nintendo decided there was no point, what with you being able to buy an entire standalone DVD player for 30$.

And here I thought I was finally going to enter the all-in-one gizmo era. Well, good old “stack’em up multiple gizmos†it is :p .

Thanks for the answers.

The euro details just came out, it costs more then predicted which is typical really.

December 8th 2006.

EUR 249 / GBP 179

Bundles is white console, one Wii remote, one Nunchuck, Wii Sports.

Between 49 and 59 Euros for software. 34 for 39 pounds.

Ouch! About 60 dolars more for the same package :angry:

Ouch! About 60 dolars more for the same package :angry:

The europeans are used to it.

Heck, they used to treat things as if the US Dollar and UK Pound were a 1:1 exchange rate. You wanna talk about being shafted, that was basically an immediate doubling of price.

1:1 USD/Euro is downright cheap by comparison. :p