Handmade Alpha for 3&3/4 figures

bryce74

I finished making the Alpha about a year ago. Obviously it doesn't transform but me thinks it still looks pretty cool. It is modelled out of fibreglass and as you can see has an opening cockpit. It would be around two feet long.

:o Transformable or not, that is one hell of a bang up job you did! The detail on it is pretty meticulous and it makes all the better seeing that you fit it to scale for the 3 3/4" figures. Great Job man.

You should hang it front of your front door so as soon as someone walks in, there in it's sights.

Thanks for all the interest. The figure in the picture is a customised matchbox figure. There is in fact a Beta on the way but it will be a long time, if I can get it together to borrow a digital camera I'll post what I have done(I'll also get on to posting some fresh pics of the alpha). Also another Alpha is coming along and I have made a start on an Invid scout. It was in fact taken from the 1/72 scale model. but interestingly the scale of that model didn't match up to the evidence in the anime in the size relation to the pilot and the mecha. If I had used the scale from the kit the alpha would have been another 30 or 40cm long at least. From studying very carefully the dimensions on the TV I arrived at the dimensions I made the thing from. This also saved the Beta from being about six feet long. Don't get too excited about the Beta it is still made of cardboard at the moment, until I take on the task of moulding and casting it. Another thing to note about the project is that the main Idea was to rectify the realy frustrating inaccuracies and omissions in the Matchbox/Harmony gold lines so any of the projects have all been made to look toy like rather than realistic hence the absence of weathering etc.. Also I went with what was more common in the anime so no numbers or stripes on the wings and so on. I have done extensive work regarding the cyclones but I can't seem to attatch them to this post due to the sub normal capacity of my computor. I will keep on trying though. I also have pictures of customised figures and a triple changing hovertank if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting custom. It looks very nice. It must be very big to be in scale with an action figure (you say it's about 2 feet, that's pretty cool). If you can have someone stand in for a picture, it would be cool to see the scale. Or maybe use an object that is easy to relate to for scale, like a coin or pop can sitting next to it.