Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

:lol: I just love he fact that the movie designers said "Fuuck the toys!" and did something that isn't just a scaled up toy or limited to how well it would translate into one.

Too bad they also said "Screw aesthetics!" while they were at it.

Not like the original cartoon designs had a lot to do with the toys in many cases. Heck, Ratchet and Ironhide didn't even have heads in the toys.

Too bad they also said "Screw aesthetics!" while they were at it.

Not like the original cartoon designs had a lot to do with the toys in many cases. Heck, Ratchet and Ironhide didn't even have heads in the toys.

I think these are the best looking transformers to come down the pike in a long, long time (excepting the MPs and some of the Alternators). I don't think they thought "screw aesthetics" as much as they did "screw tradition."

And that, to me, was a good move. A lot of transfans seem to think differently however.

They still take a pretty convincing humanoid robot and turn him into a pretty convincing car/tank/whatever. That is the essence of a good transformer. I'll wait for the movie to see how much "magic" is required for these movie designs to go from robot to alt, but at the moment I'm liking them.

I think these are the best looking transformers to come down the pike in a long, long time (excepting the MPs and some of the Alternators). I don't think they thought "screw aesthetics" as much as they did "screw tradition."

And that, to me, was a good move. A lot of transfans seem to think differently however.

They still take a pretty convincing humanoid robot and turn him into a pretty convincing car/tank/whatever. That is the essence of a good transformer. I'll wait for the movie to see how much "magic" is required for these movie designs to go from robot to alt, but at the moment I'm liking them.

It's got nothing to do with tradition, personally.

A lot of the Cybertron stuff bears very little similarity to the original designs. Chicken-feet instead of blocks, for example. Don't hear me griping about them, though. I LIKE the Cybertron line.

The problem here is that I just don't like skeletal robots.

The toys are a lot less skeletal, and they actually appeal to me.

I think the entire tradition argument is a silly red herring anyways.

You're covering fans of realistic vehicles with chunky robots, robot animals with chunky... umm... robots, futuristic vehicles with chunky robots, futuristic vehicles with sleek robots, and whatever other inane variant I missed, all with the same "tradition" label.

And completely ignoring the new cartoon lines, Beast Wars, and arguably even parts of the Alternators/Binaltech line.

There's a fairly wide range of fans that deem the movie designs crap, and they aren't ALL just obsessed with bright primary colors and robot bricks. It's ever so slightly possible that the movie designs are just ugly.

Did anyone see this quiz before?

IPB Image

Thats kind funny wheres it from? Whats liquid generation?

Edit : that bot mode for the Scorp looks really bad to me.

Edited by Macross73

If we judge that the alt modes thus far have been very faithful to the real-world vehicles and props they are based upon, I think Blackout will be one of the best movie toys, given that he stays accurate to the general design and proportions of the movie CG (well the movie CG at the time), but is designed with traditional TF aesthetics and mecha details.

If we judge that the alt modes thus far have been very faithful to the real-world vehicles and props they are based upon, I think Blackout will be one of the best movie toys, given that he stays accurate to the general design and proportions of the movie CG (well the movie CG at the time), but is designed with traditional TF aesthetics and mecha details.

That unpainted proto that we saw of Blackout looked fantastic. Any chance you could find that pic again? I've lost it. And I agree, I think his proportions are more "normal" when compared to the other bots.

Incinerator was one of the names they were initially going to use for him (along with Vortex, I believe). Blackout is the official going name, though.

An image of Barricade from the upcoming movie seems to have surfaced...check it out here:

http://www.harbx.com/archives/2006/12/barricade_early.html

I have to admit that he looks pretty cool...

ooooh, over at tfw2005 there's a post saying Gonzo will be animating and the beast wars team writing the new TF cartoon series...!

Pretty good news to me. Beast Wars is still my favorite story line out of all the transformers incarnations.

every pic I see my interest grows less. They look like a cross between a scrunched up aluminium can and Bionicles. Prime's new catch phrase should be "Can-Formers, Recycle!"

Went to the local TRU and got myself the last Jetfire and Grimlock! LUCKY!

Man i'm really impressed by them. I love Jetfire. The armourless Jetfire looks nice....but the armored Jetfire is even better. Very impressed by the detail (loadsa panel lines)as well as the tight ratchet joints all over the figure. Kudos to Don Figuora. It deserves a place next to my 1/48 VF-1S. ;)

Grimlock's robot mode is kinda dodgy but not too bad. He really shines in dino mode though. His tail is jointed, and does menacing dino poses nicely. Love the classics line. ;)

I have yet to find Grimlock!!! That's the one I want. I've found all the others...even Mirage, but no Grimlock. Is he a Voyager class or Delux class?

Chris

Man i'm really impressed by them. I love Jetfire. The armourless Jetfire looks nice....but the armored Jetfire is even better. Very impressed by the detail (loadsa panel lines)as well as the tight ratchet joints all over the figure. Kudos to Don Figuora. It deserves a place next to my 1/48 VF-1S. ;)

Hey Wolf,

You should post pics of Jetty and the VF-1S together for comparison.

Edited by gerwalk25

Found Grimlock and Mirage both at Wally World tonight. Already have Mirage, but didn't have enough money for Grimlock though...

Grimlock is the first truly weak figure in the line. Sure, he looks cool. But when you transform him to bot mode, the shoulders don't line up right. QC really dropped the ball on this one. It's a major problem, I've been trying to come up with a bash to fix it. Also, his "feet" allow for limited posing, as he's slightly unbalanced compared to the likes of Hot Rod or Starscream.

Grimlock is the first truly weak figure in the line. Sure, he looks cool. But when you transform him to bot mode, the shoulders don't line up right. QC really dropped the ball on this one. It's a major problem, I've been trying to come up with a bash to fix it. Also, his "feet" allow for limited posing, as he's slightly unbalanced compared to the likes of Hot Rod or Starscream.

But to be fair, Starscream's ARMS are a major issue because the wings are in the way.

And I have trouble making 'Screamer stable.

I can neither confirm nor deny rumors that this is because I have him standing on one foot and pinning Hot Rod down with the other.