What Are The Best Animes?

My wife and I have netflix DVDs landing in our mailbox almost on a daily basis. I've been watching so many new anime series my head's practically spinning. And wow, some of them are so good. I just finished Texhnolyzed, and I thought it was great. A work of art! So I couldn't help but wonder what everybody else thinks are the best series/movies ever. Some of you have been able to watch animes that we english speaking only (the unfortunates) people haven't been able to enjoy yet, such as the Karas series and Eureka 7. At the very least, I'd like to find out which animes I need to watch in the future when I can, and which older ones I've missed out on.

Addition: To anyone who might know... how popular IS anime in Japan? There seems to be so much of it now, and oftentimes it's so brilliant. I'd assume it's all the rage but who knows, maybe it's not as mainstream as you'd think?

Short answer: it's not as mainstream as you'd think.

Without going too far into the details, there are some serious differences between the Japanese culture, and yours (whomever the reader is.) The biggest is manga*. Due to manga, and by this I mean its sure presence in every aspect of the culture, anime and anime related properties are a lot more present. In some ways you could claim that there is more of it, but it is less visible because of it.**

I would go so far as to say that anime, in general, as a storytelling medium for all ages, is more accepted than in English speaking countries. But on the same token, most people do not go out of their way to watch anime, and a surprising number do have a "anime, yech" reaction if the topic is brought up.

IMHO, anime is neither more popular nor less popular than in other countries. The prime difference is the viewers of anime are a lot more vocal about what they want and don't want, coupled with an industry that is responsive and flexible to meet the wants of the viewers. The fact that there are a lot of viewers clustered in small areas also helps with things like marketing and keeping costs down. Japan is also a land without network channels - so some anime could even be described as regional or only regionally available. This further increases the depth, breadth, quantity, and you could even say quality - the results of more competition for national exposure on one of the two or three channels broadcast nationally, or for broadcasting on the local channels.

In addition, anime is a far cheaper medium to use than live action in the creation of fantasy or science fiction shows. So, it is IMHO, that a lot of people who, in countries with a larger live-action movie industry, would migrate into that industry, instead migrate into the animation industry and contribute vastly to the quality of it.

The basic proof of the presence and acceptance of anime would be the shelfspace in the local video rental shop. I would estimate that it occopies roughly 25 - 30% in the average shop (with around 40% for English or non-Asian cinema and TV, and the remainder for Japanese and Asian cinema and TV.

I encourage other readers to attempt to answer the question (as my view may only reflect my experiences, where I live in Japan, and the people whom I happen to associate with.)

* I am tempted to add kanji and the overall Japanese sense of artistic style. However, I can't really say much beyond a gut feeling that by having one of the three alphabets used in Japan being historically based on pictographs - passing information via pictures - storytelling via anime/manga/pictures/what have you, has a higher level of concious and subconcious awareness and acceptance than cultures and languages that do not use an alphabet that is historically based in pictographs.

** To clarify: in the US there is South Park and The Simpsons. Everyone knows those two shows, and they are highly visible. It is their uniquiness of content, coupled with their medium (animated) that makes them so highly visible. However, in Japan, the opposite could be said to be true - in that there is a lot of high quality animated programmes, so the only ones that are memoriable are ones like "Sazae san", "Chibi maruku-chan," "Boy Detective Conan", "Blackjack" and so on. Though, I should add the disclaimer that these are shows known to adults. For kids, other shows would be memoriable, like "One Piece." To reinforce the point, I recently saw a Japanese liveaction police drama on TV, and I remarked to my wife about the oddness of the presence of a criminal with a gun. Yes, bad guys armed with guns is not the norm (anime is the realm of the firearm, live action drama is not.)

So I couldn't help but wonder what everybody else thinks are the best series/movies ever. Some of you have been able to watch animes that we english speaking only (the unfortunates) people haven't been able to enjoy yet, such as the Karas series and Eureka 7. At the very least, I'd like to find out which animes I need to watch in the future when I can, and which older ones I've missed out on.

427299[/snapback]

To be honest, this is an extremely difficult question to ask. There is so much anime out there (and so much new stuff coming out,) that it'd be far better to focus on one or two genres (or even better - subsections of genres.) So, what genres are you interested in?

The only real direction I feel I can point you in is to watch anything and everything by Hayao Miyazaki. Also, "Grave of the Fireflies" - for the sheer emotional power that the film packs.

If you are interested in learning Japanese culture, and language, I suggest "Sazae-san," as it is a realistic depiction of family life, customs, and language in Japan. Also, the original manga first started publication in 1946, with the ongoing anime starting in 1969. Yes, ongoing and from 1969. That says a lot more than I can compose about it's popularity in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazae-san

The show is nearing it's 2000th episode. No, I don't recommend watching from the very beginning. Just start like most Japanese do - from the latest episode.

Edited by sketchley

My wife and I have netflix DVDs landing in our mailbox almost on a daily basis. I've been watching so many new anime series my head's practically spinning. And wow, some of them are so good. I just finished Texhnolyzed, and I thought it was great. A work of art! So I couldn't help but wonder what everybody else thinks are the best series/movies ever. Some of you have been able to watch animes that we english speaking only (the unfortunates) people haven't been able to enjoy yet, such as the Karas series and Eureka 7. At the very least, I'd like to find out which animes I need to watch in the future when I can, and which older ones I've missed out on.

Addition: To anyone who might know... how popular IS anime in Japan? There seems to be so much of it now, and oftentimes it's so brilliant. I'd assume it's all the rage but who knows, maybe it's not as mainstream as you'd think?

427299[/snapback]

An excellent oldie-one of my all-time faves is Galaxy Express 999.It is an epic romantic film that all anime fans should see.I used to work in an anime store and it was my standard recommendation.

I love GutsAndCasca's question. And I'd like to add my input. I only speak english and have had little exposure to different animes. Some animes I have enjoyed: Macross, Mospeada, Neon Genesis Evangelion (weird ending), Gunbuster, Silent Mobius, & Bubblegum Crisis. Am looking to check out Gundam. I wasn't really impressed with Spirited Away, despite all the hype.

So, along those lines, any recommendations?

:)

Edited by Vermillion21

Wow, thanks for the rundown sketchley. Awesome explanation. If anime's been going on for THAT long (I had no idea; even though I've been watching it unknowingly since I was a kid) it must be pretty popular at its source. I got into anime knowing exactly what it was when I was 15, so, 12 years ago. I've always felt that you can do more imaginative things in an animated feature than you can in a live action film, and it just looks better as well.

I'm taking down names of all animes I haven't watched and sticking them on my netflix queue. Here are the animes I've recently decided I like the best, for numerous reasons:

1. Berserk has been my favorite since I first saw it, and I have absolutely every page of every issue of this manga now. The anime may not be the best, in my opinion, but it did help me find out about the comic which has been some of the best reading of my life.

2. Macross! I loved it as a kid under the guise of Robotech, and now I love it even more. All of it. Except I just can't somehow get myself into Mac-7. (sorry all you basara fans!)

3. Fullmetal Alchemist: I believe it lives up to the hype. Plain and simple.

4. Gilgamesh: Cool and totally different style of artwork, coupled with a great storyline. This is my wife's favorite series, and she got me into it too. Weird ending though, but not as crazy as Neon Genesis.

5. X: C'mon, this is as cool as anime gets.

6. Ghost in the Shell SAC second gig: I had no idea how great this series would be. I had high expectations and they were met.

7. Texhnolyzed: A lot different than anything I've seen before. Moves very slowly, but for good reasons.

8. Wolfs Rain: I cried at the ending. Wtf?

9. Paranoia Agent: caused me to buy my wife a plushy Maromi pillow.

10. Hellsing - can't wait for the next installment.

11. Here's where there's a lot of ties. Like, say, Trigun is basically Rouroni Kenshin on a different planet. There's just so much good stuff. (Escaflowne, Neon Genesis, L.A.I.N., etc)

As for movies, in no particular order -

1. Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2

2. Grave of the Fireflies (yup, I own that one.)

3. Metropolis <---eye candy

4. Fist of the North Star (2nd anime film I ever saw, and I still luv it)

5. Vampire Hunter D 1 and 2 (why no series here???)

6. Appleseed (the new one)

7. Macross DYRL

8. Blood

9. Karas

Crap I forgot: Ninja Scroll

Those last two seriously left me wanting more. So there's my 4 cents. Next month I'm sure this list will have changed dramatically. I'd recommend these to anyone who hasn't seen them. As for those of you who have seen them, I'm sure you've got completely different opinions, so please share them and point me to the best stuff. :D

Edited by GutsAndCasca

at the moment the only Anime i've been watching acuratelly are Zegapain and Gunbuster 2 . I know this is poor. But sigh ....work,work,work

These are also worth to be watched.

Gunbuster Aim for the top! (old one): This is the "Anime"-tion.My brother shed tears while watching the last episode

FLCL : This is how my brains would look like if i would make a film about it! pretty scary

Pale Cocoon : I like the story.

The voices from a distand star : I like the story and the music . Some Gunbuster influence

M.S.Gundam 0080 War in the pocket : My alltime favorite Haruhiko Mikimoto made the character designs . I love this story

Super Dimensional Century Orguss : Oldie but goldie. Guess what..-I like the story

The Five Star Stories: I like the animations, the Mortar Headds, the whole FSS Universe although it's nothing compared to productions nowadays. Great fairytale for big children.

Azumanga Daioh : Gotta' love that bunch of airheads. Why couldn't they've made more episodes. Something like >200.

Aaaand I like the sto... Chiyopapa,Osaka,Haruka sensei,neighbour neko neko :D

Watch Patlabor and all the UC gundam. Good stuff.

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo also great shows. (lots of twists and interesting single ep stories)

If you are going to like bubblegum crisis realise that the older one kicks the newer one's ass.

I just finished watching megazone OVAs again. If you like the bikes in mospeada and the themes in the matrix, then this might interest you. It makes me want a Yamato hargun.

"Wop wop wop wop wop!" (still makes me laugh my ass off when it makes that transforming sound)

Oh yeah I liked the kenshin OVA's too. I stopped watching anime a little after the mid 90s and so I'm far behind all the otakus on this board who have probably seen everything.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Saint Seiya Hades Arc: Sanctuary Chapter. The original TV series was really popular in the 80s but it wasnt picked up for US broadcasting, so the US missed out on this really famous series that's taken the world by storm. The TV series might be hard to get into. I got into the series watching the continuation of the series, then went back and read the manga to get everything up to that point and fell in love with the series. Although you'd have to get Chinese bootleg DVDs to watch the Hades Arc subtitled in English. ADV hasn't gotten that far (if they're even still releasing the tv series).

Orguss 02. Six episode OVA. It's different, I like it. Although it spoils the end of Orguss I think (I wouldnt know since I never finished the TV series). Don't go hunting for the music cd if you watch the dubbed version... *grumble* Spent over ten years hunting the soundtrack only to find out that the dubbed version had completely different music and songs, and it turns out I hated the original Japanese music. Go figure. :p

Escaflowne the Movie. It's a stand alone story, you dont need to have watched the TV series which was shoujo-ish (especially the character design, yeegads). Besides the character designs are better in the movie and the characters are more badass. Music by Yoko Kanno, can't go wrong there.

Patlabor is pretty good. I never finished the OVA or watched the TV series because I was a kid with very little money to be buying expensive VHS tapes way back when. But the few OVA episodes I did buy were pretty fun. I love the first and second movie done by Mamoru Oshii. Very serious as opposed to the light-hearted and comedic OVA episodes I saw. Good music too.

Although not in the "best of" category for me, I recommend Photon for some good laughs. Not little kid safe by any means. :p Lot of sexual humor.

Another not "best of" and chock full of crude sexual humor is Orochuban Ebichu. You can watch quite a few episodes if you look up Ebichu on youtube. Good for a chuckle.

Depends on what your taste are my friend. I have been watching:

Naruto

Rurouni Kenshin (samurai x in america)

I do recommend the Devilman OVA

Gunsmith Cats

Cowboy Bebop

Trigun

Gungrave, (that's a must see)

I like the Getter Robo OVAs

Samurai 7 was okay

Gunbuster

Ghost in the Shell (Movie and Series)

Hellsing

Um........

I like martian successor nadesico even though i never finished it

Oh i can't believe none of you guys mentioned RANMA 1/2, always reliable for a laugh. One of the best series ever

I here black lagoon and Eureka 7 are worth watching, just downloaded black lagoon.

Escaflowne Series, (the movie was okay, but i prefer the series)

GTO

Clerks the animated series

The Venture Brother

The Boondocks

Invader Zim

(Okay i know the last couple aren't anime, but dammit they are still worth watching so i am adding them.)

Um There is so much more, i just can' think right now it's late and i have to PT first thing in the morn, oh well. Just keep asking around the folks on these forums know their stuff and lead you down the right path as far as good anime,

Currently, in post GB2 era, I'd have to say NHK it's an excellent mind fart of an anime that looks AND sound good! It's gotta be one of the best aurally pleasing animes that has come out in years! And to top it off it's an anime about a social problems! LOL! Funny yet serious. Proper, yet crap loads of ERO. ;)

The best anime? Here's is what I like the most in no particular order

Berserk

Record of Lodoss War OVA

VOTOMS

Macross

Macross Plus

Fist of the Northstar(all of it)

Samurai Champloo

Cowboy Bebop

Wolfs Rain

Requiem from the Darkness

Hellsing

Ninja Scroll the movie(the TV series was f-ing garbage)

Ghost in the Shell SAC.

I like the first GITS movie, the second really annoyed me.

Vampire Hunter D 1 & 2

Edited by dejr8bud

The Five Star Stories: I like the animations, the Mortar Headds, the whole FSS Universe although it's nothing compared to productions nowadays. Great fairytale for big children.

I really wanted to like this more but right when you feel the story is going somewhere it ends. I know there is the FSS manga(I don't read manga at all anymore) but too bad more wasn't animated.

A little addition re: anime in Japan.

It's popular, but not crazy popular. I know a lot of Japanese people, and anime is usually not a topic that comes up on conversations. Sketchley pretty much nailed it, although from what I gather among my friends, it's not even as popular as Sketch makes it out to be.

I think one good indication would be people's reaction to otaku. It's used in a very derogatory way and not something to be associated with if you want a healthy social life. Usually when I mention some anime I watch to some Japanese friends, most of them just nod politely and wait for the conversation to move onto something else. Talk about my Gold Saint and Valkyrie collection emits looks of surprise, in the "What?! You too?!" kind of way.

Just to provide a sampling demographic: early 20s, college educated, young professionals, trendy.

Addendum 1: The Japanese are REALLY good at providing information in picture form. Not knowing any read form of Japanese, I was able to buy train tickets at a self-service kiosk just by looking at the pictures provided. Anywhere else and I'd be wading through page after page of pure text. I remember a friend in education saying that the most natural form of human learning is through pictures.

Edited by Akilae

The Twelve Kingdoms also known as "Juuni Kokki". The anime is based on a series of novels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juuni_Kokki

Very good character development and story. You'll be a little disoriented at first with all the weird terms they sling at you but after a while you'll understand how the Chinese inspired fantasy world works (very important for the whole of the story).

Ninja Scroll the movie(the TV series was f-ing garbage)

427631[/snapback]

Agreed.

Eureka 7 seems like a good anime. I'm going to take a look at it, but the fact that the mecha is using a surfboard sort of thing is kind of weird. :blink:

Edited by Ishimaru

To be honest, this is an extremely difficult question to ask.  There is so much anime out there (and so much new stuff coming out,) that it'd be far better to focus on one or two genres (or even better - subsections of genres.)  So, what genres are you interested in?

The only real direction I feel I can point you in is to watch anything and everything by Hayao Miyazaki.  Also, "Grave of the Fireflies" - for the sheer emotional power that the film packs.

If you are interested in learning Japanese culture, and language, I suggest "Sazae-san," as it is a realistic depiction of family life, customs, and language in Japan.  Also, the original manga first started publication in 1946, with the ongoing anime starting in 1969.  Yes, ongoing and from 1969.  That says a lot more than I can compose about it's popularity in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazae-san

The show is nearing it's 2000th episode.  No, I don't recommend watching from the very beginning.  Just start like most Japanese do - from the latest episode.

427324[/snapback]

sketchley has a good point here. There's much more, much, much more than anybody could possibly list. And since there is still stuff over in Japan that may or may not see the light in the States, you will probably never get a real answer to this question. And since we are running on opinions here, one person may like one show while others may hate it.

I agree that you should start with 1 or 2 genres and work on those first before you venture to a different one. It will be easier on your wallet and will give you a much better feel for certain themes and styles within that genre as you go through it. And as I always say, watch it yourself because the only way you know if you'll like it is if you watch it yourself.

Edited by azrael

I don't particularly prefer any genre, I just watch them for the "big kid" factor. If the show lets me sit back and relax and makes me what to see more of it I will. I don't want to have an aneurism just trying to work out what's going on, a la Neon Genisis towards the end.

All of the Studio Ghibli anime's I've seen have done just that. Laputa, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service & Howl's Castle all just made me sit back and want to watch them. Grave of The Fireflies just blew me away :D , using an anime to deal with such a sensitive subject and doing it so well.

I prefer to listen to them in original Japanese with subs. To me the american dubs just don't seem quite right. Enough waffle and on to the list :p

As well as the above mentioned movies my list of favourites in no particular order is:

Gunslinger Girl.

Got hooked right from the first episode. You never really knew which way it was going to go.

Project A-Ko

An oldie but a goodie although I'd take A-Ko or B-Ko over C-Ko any day :lol:

Mezzo.

You just gotta luv orange jumpsuits :D

Madlax.

Wierd but you just had to keep watching to find out what the hell was going on :blink:

R.O.D the TV.

Gives a whole new meaning to paper cuts!

Maburaho.

What more could a boy need than a school full of luscious lovely after him B))

Ikki Tousen.

Enough "booby bombs" for any self respecting pervert :ph34r:

Macross

What more can you say.

OMP!

Totally forgot about my favorite creator/director/ex-mangka Satoshi Kon.

See Perfect Blue & Millennium Actress and then be freaking stunned at what strong & not so strong female lead characters can look like. Then be depressed because you've got to go back to the weak ones in anime series. <_<

Another take on this thread: What else besides Gunbuster 1 & 2, and Neon Genesis Evangelion have GAINAX studios made?  Anything worth watching?

427967[/snapback]

Try their first work, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise. Beautiful sci-fi movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_of_Honneamise

If you like high school drama + roll in the floor comedy there’s Kare Kano.

And if you like Gunbuster 2 you can try FLCL. The animation is very similar to G2 but be warned: it’s very very crazy and weird. Some people are put of by this. Personally I liked it.

This are the first things out of my head but there are more…

Oh yeah, look for Ebichu. Adult comedy to laugh your ass off. Character designs is simple but it does the job perfectly.

As you can see Gainax has done a lot of different genres with different animation styles. One of the reasons that make checking out their stuff worth it (you are sure to find SOMETHING you like).

Edited by Twoducks

Don't forget their first TV series: "Nadia of the Mysterious Seas" - it's great, and as far as conclusions go, it has one of the better ones.

Of course, one can also see a lot of the seeds of Evangelion in it, and some of the motivations for the creation of Evangelion directly stem from the production of Evangelion (as in disruptions of the creative control/process by those funding the series.) Personally, I felt that NHK's input into the series makes it better and more well-rounded, but I can also understand the creative stuff. Alas, this is NOT the way I wanted to introduce the series, as it should be judged on its own, seperate from the creation process and what came later.

One other Gianax work of note is "Otaku no Video." It is also recommended for the sheer reality and positiveness of it (despite the subject matter ;) )

There's also "Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi". For me it has the added plus of 'I live near there.' It was fun and interesting to watch, but as I caught only one or two episodes as it was first-run on Japanese TV...

anyhow, Gianax links and stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gainax

Edited by sketchley

Don't forget their first TV series: "Nadia of the Mysterious Seas" - it's great, and as far as conclusions go, it has one of the better ones.

Of course, one can also see a lot of the seeds of Evangelion in it, and some of the motivations for the creation of Evangelion directly stem from the production of Evangelion (as in disruptions of the creative control/process by those funding the series.)  Personally, I felt that NHK's input into the series makes it better and more well-rounded, but I can also understand the creative stuff.  Alas, this is NOT the way I wanted to introduce the series, as it should be judged on its own, seperate from the creation process and what came later.

One other Gianax work of note is "Otaku no Video."  It is also recommended for the sheer reality and positiveness of it (despite the subject matter ;) )

There's also "Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi".  For me it has the added plus of 'I live near there.'  It was fun and interesting to watch, but as I caught only one or two episodes as it was first-run on Japanese TV...

anyhow, Gianax links and stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gainax

428006[/snapback]

Forgot about Abenobashi! Really funny spoofs and with an underlying plot. It’s very short (I think about 13 ep) and doesn’t over do it like Excell Saga does in some parts.

As for Otakus in anime one can also try Genshiken. Really funny stuff and a light-hearted view of the otaku world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genshiken

And speaking about Otakus and Gainax There ‘s Densha Otoko, a live action Japanese comedy/drama based on a “true storyâ€. There’s an homage to the Gainax Bunnygirld short for Daicon IV in the opening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_man

Nice to watch but live action Otakus are scary :ph34r:

He seems to want to just want to fill his Netflix quere, so see if they have these animes thru them too.

I can't believe nobody said Serial Experiments Lain yet. They even have a movie out that starts out similar to it (but they turned it to some bizarre horror flick)

And only one person said Nadesico? That series is downright legendary for it's ability to go from funny to serious to funny again with such smooth transition.

If you just need to fill up your neflix quere of stuff, I understand, mine's on the low-end again. So let me show you some of the stuff that you might not have thought to look for:

The Weird Al Show (YES IT'S OUT NOW!!)

Night of the Living Dead series

anything by Akira Kurosawa

Vampire Hunter D (original only)

Battlestar Galactica (original AND remakes)

Highlander everything (even that crappy Raven-series)

Kung Fu

and about any old movie you can think about