The Best Of Each Mode By Company

do not disturb

list the 3 modes, which company made the best(stock)VF-1 toy in each mode, and why(if you feel like it). this is not to bash or praise any particular company.

battroid - bandai gashapon trading figures. by far the most accurate representation of the valkyrie in battroid mode that i can think of. its tiny size might have something to do with it but as far as i can tell, all the proportions are dead on. its perfect in everyway.

gerwalk - yamato 1/48. probably my favorite mode and one of the only toys that can do the A-stance properly. i really can't think of another toy that can top the 1/48 gerwalk.

fighter - doyusha 1/144. the sleekest and most accurate fighter mode IMO. they even tampo printed the "no step" on the wings.

edit: change my answer of 1/60 fighter to the doyusha 1/144 fighter as they are by far the most accurate. granted they don't transform but its still a toy. :)

Edited by haterist

Well here you have Anime Magic.

1.)Battroid,Tough call. I say Yamato 1/60 just slightly over the 1/48. Yeah its not as posable but it looks better proportioned and has normal hands.

2.) Gerwalk 1/48 with TV hands~!

3.)Fighter 1/48 all the way. A thing of beauty. Now if we counted models too than it would be the Hasagawa 1/72.

Its very hard to make one that is perfect in all 3 ways but I think with the 1/48 they came really close.

Battroid = Yamato 1/60: Just beats the 1/48 by a small margin.

Gerwalk = Yamato 1/48: No contest really (IMO)

Fighter = Yamato 1/60: Again, just a tad better than the 1/48 in regards to proportions

I still like the 1/48 more though, because its more poseable and not floppy

Stock or via mods?

For me the coolest Gerwalk is a thigh-modified Bandai 1/55. The 1/48 is puny...

Not manly enough.

But if we're talking straight up no mods...

Whew.....

1/48

1/48

1/48

No brainer.

Basing my opinion on proportion and not taking into account armor, details/sculpt and part fitting I'd say:

Fighter - 1/60, better canopy/cockpit front fuselage, larger vertical stabilizers.

Gerwalk - 1/48 (BUT with it's arms tucked behind cause the damn arms are too skinny) followed closely by the 1/60

Battroid - 1/60 ALTHOUGH the VF-1S has a head that is an abomination so I can't pose that particular model in battroid. So, although the 1/60 has better proportions, when it comes to the VF-1S I choose the 1/48 :)

Now, THE battroid is the 1/48 VF-1S with GBP armor!!!

Back from good ole' Wal-Mart. Alright! Well... I think, even though this really isn't pertinent to the thread, first off - hasegawa model kits look absolutely cooler than anything I've seen! Now, for the toys.

Gerwalk: Yamato 1/48! And, please don't flay me, I think that the robotech MPCs look really cool in gerwalk mode; it's the only thing that really stands out as "good" with the MPCs.

Battroid: Yamato 1/48! Yes, even with the chicken/skeleton hands. I also have an affinity for the look of the lil' banpresto VF1S. And -- I've seen lots of gashapons that look really cool too.

Fighter: I think I'm gonna' tie the 1/48 and the 1/60 Yamatos. I don't own any 1/60's VF1's, but from the pictures I've seen they look almost identical to the 1/48 aside from the nose. And I kinda' like the stinger nose.

...(I wish they made toys as good looking as those hasegawas; but the VF0's do the job I guess)

Personally, I would have to say the 1/48 in all modes. Fighter mode by far goes to the 1/48th, as well as Gerwalk. The level of detail is astounding compared to all other toys, and it flows together so much more nicely than the 1/60 version from Yamato.

For battroid mode, again the 1/48th. Sure, it has small hands, but it seems to me the most realistic proportions without sacrificing fighter mode too much and with no reliance on anime magic.

The 1/60 is a distant second, but there's one thing that has always bugged me about the 1/60. The hips. They made the legs removable to get rid of swing bars, but then stuck them with these huge hip bulges that look as bad or even worse than swing bars. So the sacrifice of perfect transformation winds up being for NOTHING. Not to mention the terrible V-1S head.

Hik%20HCM%20small%2029.JPG

RH%20MPC%20small%204.JPG

Hik%201100%20VF-1S%20small%207.JPG

CF%20148%20small%2029.JPG

CF%20TRU%20small%209.JPG

Hik%20Banpresto%2011.JPG

Misa%20Taka%20155%20small%2010.JPG

I'm on a bit of a vacation right now without access to my toys so I can't snap off a few pics of the chunkies at the moment and post them. I would love to some day be able to do this comparison using all the same model (all hikaru's 1J, or Focker's 1S, something like that) but that's going to involve me retaking a lot of pics and such so for now this is the best I can do.

EDIT - The HCM is missing it's gun and heatshield because I don't have the heart to remove them from their sprues, please ignore the omission.

Edited by jenius

The banpresto legs can do the A stance in gerwalk if you unlock the intake part from the chestplate and just use the balljoints to rotate them outwards. The way it's been posed looks horrible. (the legs are stretched to make it look tall instead of bent back in a relaxed stance like the others. It looks even worse than the chunky munkey in that comparison - it might be better to try to get each valk posed in the same stance when doing non-vehicle mode comparisons to be fair)

The advantage of those ugly balljoints is that you don't just have a swivel joint but can have the feet wide apart without necessarily swivelling them. From a distance it looks pretty good and has an attitude. (rather than stiff and robotic as shown above)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

In defense of my Banpresto pic, that toy was falling over and falling apart so frequently I had to give up and just try to get through the shoot I was doing.

Roy%20Banpresto%20small%2012.JPG

There's a better pic of a super Banpresto... I didn't want to use it since none of the other valks have super armor on.

Edited by jenius

Fair enough. But it can do the A stance like the others and sit lower down which I thought was important to point out.

ubger1.jpg

with super FP:

ubger2.jpg

ubger3.jpg

with strike FP:

ubger4.jpg

ubger5.jpg

Shows "dramatic anime pose" of gerwalk mode. I have mine placed on a desk with gunpod reversed (ie DYRL Max style) inside the little gap in the forearm (as if it were an arm cannon) with arms swivelled outwards and it looks awesome.

those pics are of a mod so they wouldn't qualify as comparison pic, but the legs are normal which is why I posted them. (just to illustrate that it can do a A stance)

http://www.geocities.com/duom/gundam/ultban/ultban.html

Even though its less detailed and less sturdy than the toynami one, I still like the fighter mode sideview better. I wish they updated the banpresto and gave it toynami "kneecaps", swivel joint in legs like others, and removed the swingbar entirely. (pegs for battroid mode, and the usual "hole in the back side of front chest plate" for gerwalk mode, with swivel joint handling the dramatic stance instead of balljoint) In other words a combination of the best parts of the toynami (canopy) with the better parts of the presto. (eg 1S head, shoulders etc)

I don't know, I really don't like the disconnected leg look in GERWALK but yeah, it does look better from the thigh down. The panel lining helps a lot also. Fighter mode's tail fins and the entire mechanism by which they fold is hideous, as is the cockpit area. I'd favor the Toynami of the two tiny toys.

The 1/60 has better battroid mode proportions imo.

No skinny arms, oversized chest or chicken hands that can't support the gunpod. But it more than makes up for that in terms of detail. The skinny arms really stand out when you put gbp on.

423912[/snapback]

Great thread

It seems 1/60 fighter, 1/48 gerwalk and 1/60 battroid is a pretty common answer amongst those who own both toys, and I totally agree, with respect to proportions.

There also seems to be a lot of 1/48, 1/48 and 1/48 from people too, but their answer seems to be based on detail and engineering rather than proportions

...so it really depends on what you're after (proportions or detail) and how thick your wallet is.

Edited by physioguy

The ugly heads on the 1/60 are far worse than the skinny arms of the 1/48 though....

The 1/60 Fighter mode is awful.

I can't get past that blunt nose among other things.

Edited by Skull-1

I've always heard this "skinny arms" thing regarding the 1/48. Yet I just don't see it. Are we talking about the shoulders? The biceps? Or the forearm? Cuz while each might be slightly smaller than the 1/60, I don't see a glaring difference. And I especially don't notice when looking at my 1/48 w/ GBP.

As for the skinny hands. . . it's perfect transformation. . . well worth the "cost." Personally, the skinny hands never bothered me and I've always been slightly perplexed/amused by the fixation on them here (much as bsu legato was regarding Vader's).

H

I've always heard this "skinny arms" thing regarding the 1/48.  Yet I just don't see it.  Are we talking about the shoulders?  The biceps?  Or the forearm?  Cuz while each might be slightly smaller than the 1/60, I don't see a glaring difference.  And I especially don't notice when looking at my 1/48 w/ GBP.

Biceps and forearms are both longer and thinner. Take a good look at the pics by jenius above. And if you still can't see them, I may have to see if Drifand wants to have a say in this thread.

As for the skinny hands. . . it's perfect transformation. . . well worth the "cost."  Personally, the skinny hands never bothered me and I've always been slightly perplexed/amused by the fixation on them here (much as bsu legato was regarding Vader's).

H

and this thread is about the Best Mode not sacrifices made for perfect transformation.