Dyrl English Dubb

just have to appreciate the original japanese voice and like to read and you will be fine. whenever i watch a foreign film or anime, i always leave it in it's original language and hit sub. kyatsu

ps

if you remember princess mononoke american voice actors, then you will know how suck an english dub can be.

just have to appreciate the original japanese voice and like to read and you will be fine.  whenever i watch a foreign film or anime, i always leave it in it's original language and hit sub. kyatsu

ps

if you remember princess mononoke american voice actors, then you will know how suck an english dub can be.

407889[/snapback]

Yeah, but when you're a Dad and you're cooking dinner and cleaning and doing all sorts of stuff and trying to watch anime at the same time and can't speak japanese, it sucks. I miss all the subtitles and have no idea what's going on. Sorta' cuts down on what spaces of time I can reserve for my anime sessions.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

I'm sorry, Guts, but as it's been mentioned in the Big Thread of HG v. BW Doom © (: due to the fact that at a very minimum three companies (and almost certainly more) are scrambling for the biggest slice of the pie that they can re: DYRL, and that the licensing situation makes the TV series' wrangling look straighforward and comprehensible by comparison, it's almost gauranteed that DYRL will never get a decent R1 DVD release. Even Robert Woodhead (who released the AnimEigo disks lo those five years ago) has said to not hold one's breath. ):

As for Clash, the license that Celebrity for Kids had expired years ago, and HG will see that it's never reissued (for once making HG on the side of the angels ;) )

Edited by Pat Payne

'Clash rules all. Forget these discussions about DYRL making it to Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, ultra-lasersonic-disc-format, what we need is 'Clash on DVD...

lol

I'm going to start my own website and call it "Clashworld.com"

Bionoids, baybee! Gimme' those cheesy british accents. And it's safe for kids to watch!

Joking. This is definitely NOT safe for kids to watch. I bought a copy of Bionoids on tape offa' ebay once, not knowing exactly what it was. I have since given it to my son (he's FOUR) to go into his collection. And HE won't even watch it. Now that's bad. But he really likes the new Macross english dub series....

just have to appreciate the original japanese voice and like to read and you will be fine.  whenever i watch a foreign film or anime, i always leave it in it's original language and hit sub. kyatsu

ps

407889[/snapback]

Yeah, but when you're a Dad and you're cooking dinner and cleaning and doing all sorts of stuff and trying to watch anime at the same time and can't speak japanese, it sucks. I miss all the subtitles and have no idea what's going on. Sorta' cuts down on what spaces of time I can reserve for my anime sessions.

407894[/snapback]

Exactly. I swear, the English dubb was invented for people who do and fold their own laundry. I never even think about that fact that I'm reading from the bottom scrren untill I realised that when I was doing something else, I didn;t know what the hell they were saying. And I didn;t immeadiately notice. Funny how the mind works :lol: (or - at least mine)

ps

407889[/snapback]

407894[/snapback]

Exactly. I swear, the English dubb was invented for people who do and fold their own laundry. I never even think about that fact that I'm reading from the bottom scrren untill I realised that when I was doing something else, I didn;t know what the hell they were saying. And I didn;t immeadiately notice. Funny how the mind works :lol: (or - at least mine)

408179[/snapback]

Many anime's I have watched subbed and unthinkingly gotten up to do something briefly and returned to find myself not knowing wtf is going on. That's when I hit rewind. And it sucks. Then everybody b--ches at me for rewinding it. Well I don't speak Japanese, damnit.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

On that note, I have to mention, Clash of the Bionoids makes Robotech look like a beautiful masterpiece.

407903[/snapback]

It may be worth acquiring just to hear Roy Focker say "Now watch jet jockey in action!" :p

Edited by Dervish

On that note, I have to mention, Clash of the Bionoids makes Robotech look like a beautiful masterpiece.

407903[/snapback]

It may be worth acquiring just to hear Roy Focker say "Now watch jet jockey in action!" :p

408397[/snapback]

If you can make it that far into the movie, then I suppose it may be worth it. Wait - no. I change my mind. Nothing is worth watching Clash again. Not for me anyway. I'll run away.

I'd like the SDF Macross dub more if there were "LESS EMBELISHMENT" by the script writers and "CORRECT PRONOUNCIATION" of the names.

My Gawd they have a Japanese voice actress who worked on the original Japanese series and her proper pronounciation is totally ignored...

How pathetic is that?

It's little wonder why some Japanese studios, who care about their work, refuse to license their films to US distributors... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

Don't forget the straight Spacefortress Macross/Super Spacefortress Macross/just plain Macross VHS releases of DYRL, which are the same dub as the Clash release, but uncut video. And forget "now watch jet jockey", it's all about, "You can schtill fight when yer drunk!"

ps

407889[/snapback]

407894[/snapback]

what are you guys talking about? there already IS an english language dub: Clash of the Bionoids.

:p

407899[/snapback]

Dude, I can relate to that. As far as Bionoids, I think we want a dub that DOESN'T suck!!!

Edited by Skullsixx

Don't forget the straight Spacefortress Macross/Super Spacefortress Macross/just plain Macross VHS releases of DYRL, which are the same dub as the Clash release, but uncut video. And forget "now watch jet jockey", it's all about, "You can schtill fight when yer drunk!"

408538[/snapback]

hahaha! Okay Roy Focker said a couple of charming things. Everyone else... including Roy, made me want to commit suicide.

:p

Damnit, you guys are making me want to dig out my old SUPERDIMENSION FORTRESS MACROSS tape just to watch Roy. No english dub actor has captured the character quite as well as that Hong Kong fellow.

ps

407889[/snapback]

I would have to agree!

• 3 weeks later...

It would be real nice if they did an official release, sub, dub or both. I tire of the huge inconsistencies among fan-subs. I get the feeling that some of the fan-subs are done by people who don't have a very strong grasp on Japanese. I have three versions of DYRL and sometimes the lines very greatly.

IE - One will say something like "Don't lecture me on my duties" the next will say "I'm tired of being bossed around by a woman" and the third one will say "I can't just sit around and do nothing". These aren't just small differences...

Hikaru: (when Roy gets mashed in his cockpit) "MINMAY!"

Misa: "They should be in range in 15 minutes!"

Britai: "It was a joke. Minmay taught me that. It means, I did not mean it." (Exedore looks like he's going to kill himself)

Hikaru: (when Roy gets mashed in his cockpit) "MINMAY!"

Misa: "They should be in range in 15 minutes!"

Britai: "It was a joke.  Minmay taught me that.  It means, I did not mean it." (Exedore looks like he's going to kill himself)

413862[/snapback]

Well depending on the situation the middle one could make sense. Now I know Japanese is a pretty complex language especially when you consider how the syntax of Japanese is completely different and often contradictory when compared to English syntax but you have to wonder why people get different meanings out of the same words. I think that at times some of the subs for the Japanese speech is just a stab in the dark.

Edited by Mephistopheles

I do agree that fan subs are dubious in their translation credentials (Macross Zero: turning the Fuel-Air Bomb into a 'nuke'!)

That said, it is all about nuance. Well, nuance and the translator's experience with the subject being translated.

The "Don't lecture me on my duties", "I'm tired of being bossed around by a woman", "I can't just sit around and do nothing" is a good example.

They may all actually be correct, but not correct at the same time. I'd put money on "Don't lecture me..." and "I can't sit ..." as being closer to the original statement (think of the original as a combination of both, said in a way that means one, but implies the other.)

So yeah... translation is both technical, but a finely finessed art at the same time. It's almost impossible to completely convey the intended meaning... just think of translating your average SitCom into another language, the audience for it has no idea about pop culture nor the history of the SitCom's creator nation at all. No easy task, translation be.

I do agree that fan subs are dubious in their translation credentials (Macross Zero: turning the Fuel-Air Bomb into a 'nuke'!)

That said, it is all about nuance.  Well, nuance and the translator's experience with the subject being translated.

The  "Don't lecture me on my duties", "I'm tired of being bossed around by a woman", "I can't just sit around and do nothing" is a good example.

They may all actually be correct, but not correct at the same time.  I'd put money on "Don't lecture me..." and "I can't sit ..." as being closer to the original statement (think of the original as a combination of both, said in a way that means one, but implies the other.)

So yeah... translation is both technical, but a finely finessed art at the same time.  It's almost impossible to completely convey the intended meaning... just think of translating your average SitCom into another language, the audience for it has no idea about pop culture nor the history of the SitCom's creator nation at all.  No easy task, translation be.

413888[/snapback]

The nukes example is a good one. Most likely the translator didn't know what the word actually meant so he based it off context and visuals. The fan-sub that I have actually had them translated correctly.

I never really worked with Japanese but I have davelled in Russian and Spanish. I'm aware that when it comes to translation you can't just convert the words one for one and nor do all words behave the same way they would in the other language however I still don't understand how you can have people translate something that conveys completely different ideas.

Hence, it's better to watch the Japanese version of Ghost in the Shell Innocence, instead of the USA version, and I'm just talking about subtitles here. I'm sure somebody knows what I'm talking about.

I'm slowly working on a DYRL dub, course it wont be like Clash of the Bionoids at all.....hell I'm even having the VA's that are playing Zentradie roles study the language and how it's pronounced so it sounds more accurate to the film.....course, this is a slow slow process.

Looks like we're coming back to the ol' Supervision Army vs. Inspection Army.

It's a word that combines both nuances, but neither as strongly as each individual English word makes the two different concepts appear. Words just don't translate neatly...

A good dubbing to DYRL sounds great to me!

Would you be able to splice and dub the 2 psx dyrl game videos to the dyrl movie as well?

Then all that could be added to the DYRL movie is those subtitles that one of the Macrossworld guys did and 2012 properly subtitled for a super fine deluxe DYRL movie edition. B))

That dub was the best. Yeah it sounded like an old dub Kung Fu film but it worked.

The voice for Roy in it was just perfect in giving out the right emotion for the character. You'd believe that Roy wanted Hikaru to become a man and that he was into booze and booty.

Robotech's Roy gave the impression that he wanted Rick to become a responible citizens and was into was G rated fun.