Blade Runner: Final Cut

From variety:

Warner homevid has disentangled "Blade Runner's" famously thorny rights issues to pave the way for a September reissuereissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley ScottRidley Scott's final cut.

Warner's rights to "Blade Runner" lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The pic, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceovervoiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The restored "Director's Cut" will debut on homevid in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium. "Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.

The massive "Blade Runner" project comes on the heels of Scott's four-disc treatment for "Kingdom of Heaven," released this week by Fox homevid, less than a year after the pic's initial homevid release.

From variety:

Warner homevid has disentangled "Blade Runner's" famously thorny rights issues to pave the way for a September reissuereissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley ScottRidley Scott's final cut.

Warner's rights to "Blade Runner" lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The pic, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceovervoiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The restored "Director's Cut" will debut on homevid in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium. "Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.

The massive "Blade Runner" project comes on the heels of Scott's four-disc treatment for "Kingdom of Heaven," released this week by Fox homevid, less than a year after the pic's initial homevid release.

402515[/snapback]

Umm, so basically don't buy the Director's Cut in September but wait until the set in 2007 with all 3 versions? Personally, I like the voiceovers and Harrison Ford hamming it up film noir style.

Wait, so the "director's cut" I have right now (which was the only version avail when I bought it last year) is going to be re-released this Sept?

Whatever, I can't wait for Ridley's definitive theatrical release. Sweet, thanks for the heads up, Bsu.

Yeah, heard about this a couple weeks back. All I can say is it's about damn time. Blade Runner has practically topped the most wanted list for a proper DVD release every since special editions became fashionable. I recall myself sending a query to WB asking what the heck was the hold up many years back. Finally, it looks like they've cleared up all the lousy legal issues and are set to get cracking. Can't wait.

You just made f*cking day BSU!

I had pretty much given up hope on seeing the three-disc release, since it was supposed to come out, what, three years ago? AND we're getting a theatrical version!? Awesome.

And for those of you without any taste; the theatrical cut is supposed to be in the 3-disc set, I believe.

EDIT: D'oh, it says it includes the theatrical cut in the 3-disc boxed set. Frankly though, I'd rather have the work print than the dirctor's cut since the director's cut is easy to find.

Edited by yellowlightman

Not enough 'splosions for ya?

Hardly... not to go completely OT, but I found it to be one of the most drab, bleary, and unwatchable movies ever... if not for it's boring plot moments, then for it's super dark and weak camera work that make most of the would-be awesome visuals near indiscernable...

Hardly... not to go completely OT, but I found it to be one of the most drab, bleary, and unwatchable movies ever... if not for it's boring plot moments, then for it's super dark and weak camera work that make most of the would-be awesome visuals near indiscernable...

So you're saying it succeeds at being a Noir film but you don't really like noir. No big deal, different strokes.

Not enough 'splosions for ya?

402644[/snapback]

You see, there are two kinds of people in this world, my friend; Those who appreciate Blade Runner, and those who suck. You suck. :p

Before I saw Blade Runner, for me sci-fi was all goofy robots, space dogfights, laser swords and other assorted happy funtime bright and cheerful things. I never saw Blade Runner in the theaters in '82, mostly because at the time it was under-marketed and the ads that I did see for it made it look dumb. I did not see it until like '84 when it came on cable TV... needless to say I was forever changed.

I might be the only fanboy on the face of the earth that prefers the new "Director's Cut" to the original version. While the narration added to the noir feel it was really quite distracting and annoying at times. I really only want the different versions to be a "completist". I bought one of those "uber blade runner" bootleg DVDs off of eBay a long time ago that had different versions of the movie on it and the quality is, shall we say, "bad".

So this is good news for me as I can now replace my bootlegs with some legit cuts... in another year or so... <_<

You're not the only one who likes the direcotr's cut, though I am curious as to what more could possibly be added to the final cut. Hopefully Scott doesn't go all Lucas on us....

As for the Theatrical cut, the only thing it has going for it, is it's not as bad as the studio cut of Brazil.

I might be the only fanboy on the face of the earth that prefers the new "Director's Cut" to the original version. While the narration added to the noir feel it was really quite distracting and annoying at times.

402705[/snapback]

No, you aren't since I feel the same way.

Don't remember her name, but now does this mean we get to see the replicant "exotic dancer" in action and what she does with the snake?

:lol:

402793[/snapback]

No, she was a pretty nasty actress. I wish she was removed from the movie entirely to save me the pain of seeing her rotten goods.

That said, I really wish they would come out with a new Blade Runner game, or an update of the original with better graphics. That thing is phenomenal...perfectly captured the Blade Runner vibe with multiple branches and endings and random things happening...and action and puzzle work. It was great.

There's a Blade Runner 1080i release that's on the internet. It's something like 16GB. I don't see how any DVD release could compare to that unless it was two DVD-9s completely packed.

Edited by ComicKaze

I might be the only fanboy on the face of the earth that prefers the new "Director's Cut" to the original version.

402705[/snapback]

Nope, there are a lot of us. I really hate the narrated, studio-friendly-ending version that was originally released. I'll take Scott's cut over that lousy ending crap any day.

I'm kind of suprised how few people I encounter have seen this movie. I quote Blade Runner every now and then and nobody picks up on the quotes. My favorites to use a lot are "Do you like our owl?", "Too bad she won't live" and "Did you get your precious photos?"... they go right over the head of most people. But then you dump out some obvious quote like "He say you Brade Runnuh" and they're instantly on your page.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

I just saw the original cut a few minutes ago for the first time. You know, I liked the "happy" ending. Something about that Vangelis love theme playing over the aerial shots of the mountains that was breathtaking and surreal.

I just saw the original cut a few minutes ago for the first time. You know, I liked the "happy" ending. Something about that Vangelis love theme playing over the aerial shots of the mountains that was breathtaking and surreal.

402895[/snapback]

...and in the context of the movie, makes no sense whatsoever. Who knew that all you had to do was hop in your car and make a 1/2 hour drive and you'd leave behind the dreary, acid rain laden post-apocolyptic LA cityscape for beautiful green countryside? Add onto that Deckard's "and we lived happily ever after" narration and you have one generic "Hollywood" ending. :rolleyes:

And it really sucks if you've actually seen The Shining.

Well arguably in the Director's Cut, Deckard is also a replicant (that's why there is a Unicorn in his dreams and Gaff knows what Deckard dreams about since they are implanted). I don't think being a replicant takes anything away from him. I think he retired originally because he hated it already (the shakes, the drinking, everything), but he has no choice.

The thing that bugs me most about the finished movie though, is the scene where the Dove is let into the air. I mean, that clip looks like it's out of some kids highschool video where he films an aluminum sided warehouse to make it look like a science fiction movie.

It's obviously not the same locale as the Bradbury shoot and it's obviously it was filmed in daylight and they color adjusted the film to make it look like night.

They just need to reshoot that shot for the new edition.

Did anybody notice the big TDK sign on the roof? What's with TDK signs on roofs that science fiction movies have showdowns on? In Highlander Endgame, there was a giant red TDK sign as well on the roof when Duncan fights Connor. Somebocy complained though and had it removed in the DVD but it's the workprint cut.

Edited by ComicKaze

A basic sci fi movie playing it safe would have had a prolonged shootout, a long fistfight, then Deckard would have tossed Batty off the roof by punching him in the groin and said something cheesy like "No nuts on this flight"

Did you come up with that by yourself? I'm seriously laughing my head off here.

I'm kind of suprised how few people I encounter have seen this movie. I quote Blade Runner every now and then and nobody picks up on the quotes. My favorites to use a lot are "Do you like our owl?", "Too bad she won't live" and "Did you get your precious photos?"... they go right over the head of most people. But then you dump out some obvious quote like "He say you Brade Runnuh" and they're instantly on your page.

402877[/snapback]

LOL. Man I quote it all the time and only a scant few know the quotes.

There's a Blade Runner 1080i release that's on the internet. It's something like 16GB. I don't see how any DVD release could compare to that unless it was two DVD-9s completely packed.

402867[/snapback]

Actually, I heard that after the theatrical release, they are going to release it on DVD and in HD formats (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/Both) simultaneously. This might actually be the movie that makes me break down and get an HD setup. :rolleyes:

I really want that 1080i internet oddity though. I guess I should start searching. :ph34r:

The blade runner pistol is 100% hollywood prop, it's "function" is near impossible. The actual revolver part is built off a real revolver action (A cheap Charter Arms .44 Bulldog special) and served to fire blanks for the practical photography... but the rest of the thing is pure BS. The "Bolt Action" (which came from a Steyr Mannlicher .222 Model SL rifle) on the top goes nowhere as it is plugged up... but if it wasn't you notice nothing can be "chambered" as it would basically push the round all the way out of the "barrel".

The practical prop pistol shown on camera in the movie is never shown firing from the top (the bolt action section) as nothing was there to fire from, just the bottom barrel fired as it was the only "barrel" on the weapon. To add insult to injury the top section is never shown being manipulated on film nor is the pistol shown being practically reloaded. In the book Future Noir: the Making of Blade Runner they don't go into too much detail about the pistol outside of a few snippets of info but suffice it to say nothing is mentioned about it having two firing mechanisms... two triggers, yes but two different firing barrels, no.

In the long and short run the "Blade Runner 2019 Detective Special" handgun is pure prop BS... it's practicality is about as realistic as your average lightsaber. Sci-Fi props of the early '80s where made to look good and be "futuristic", not necessarly to actually "work".

Here's what I learned about the fiction behind the blaster from reading on different websites. It is created from the charter arms revolver and the Steyr bolt action rifle.

The idea is that the pistol can fire 2 different types of rounds.

Usually the pistol is fired in the normal mode which feeds rounds from a detachable box magazine below the barrel where the LEDs are located. Supposedly in the original story boards there is a shot where Deckard reloads the box magazine. The LEDs might be some sort of ammo counter.

The bolt action section on top is suppossed to hold a single manually loaded special super round or armor piercing round which can be fired when more power is needed. From what I read from different prop makers, in the film they think Deckard fires 2 different types during the film. Supposedly the first round he fires and miss at Batty when he enters Sebatian's apartment is the special high power round as an extra large discharge is shown with the the large smoke cloud.

The prop I completed was a $125 kit that was pretty rough with a lot of bubbles, it has no moving parts except for the light up LEDs and laser sight.

PKD prop

I think it came out ok for my first ever film prop build. It has a solid brass barrel and the grip is filled with lead so the pistol actually has about the right weight for a real pistol. It feels great in the hand the grip is amazingly comfortable like a nice target pistol.

The grey one is the monsters in motion kit for $200. I haven't begun building it yet. It does have all the working parts, but the actual kit parts are not nearly as precise as the stock photo there, its going to take some major work to get it to operate completely.

Check out this guys web page, awesome. He's got tons of info on the blaster including pics of a blaster that a guy made out of the real gun parts entirely in metal that actually fires blanks!!!. The best I've seen by far. He also has working Alien pulse rifles.

Bladerunner Blaster homepage

All metal blank firing Blaster made from the original gun parts

br_mi6_01.jpg