Does U.n Spacy Mind Pilots Having Long, Dyed Hair?

Phalanx

I was thinking about how all the pilot characters in the Macross have either average height hairstyles, long hair and some of them have their hair dyed like Max and Gamlin so I had to ask, does the U.N Spacy allow VF pilots to have either long hair or dyed hair and do they get haircuts for that matter? I know that since Macross is an anime and in anime, anything goes as you can have charcters with long flamboyant hair colors and since Zentraedi and Meltraedi naturally have their hair in different colors, U.N spacy can't say anything about it.

But in the case of haircuts, do they give them to pilots who want them because Guld in M+ has a small ponytail and I'm surpised that they don't say anything about that. So what's your take on this?

Um... it's anime?

Its all heavily stylized and artistic... We have transforming fighter jets, 50 foot tall aliens, space warping battleships and a pop star saving humanity with a song. They could all be wearing mohawks and it would not seem out of place to me.

UN spacey has a long detailed regulations about hair length and color for their pilots.

The thing is, warriors actually operate BETTER with only one eye visible (unless of course, they wear glasses).

Notice how a sniper always closes one eye to fire. Ever used a pistol? see if you shoot better with one eye or two.

UNSpacey, and paticularly Valkyrie pilots figured out early on (especially in space) that having both eyes able to receive light and take in information was ultimately distracting to the pilots and caused lots of un-due death.

It should also be noted that unnatural hair color (be it dyed or otherwise) adds a great deal of skill to the person wearing it. In the case of pilots, people with natural hair color tend to die in combat more often or suck A LOT with girls. Neither of these make for good pilots.

UNSpacey encourages it's pilots to used a multitude of hair colors, though at the launch of the SDF they'd only stocked up on Blue.

Zentradi took this concept quite a bit further encouraging all kinds of wacky hair colors AND encouraged weird skin colors to aid their pilots.

Well to say something logical and intelligent about my topic, I would say that the U.N Spacy may be openiminded about pilots having dyed hair, or radicalstyles just to give them chance to express their personalities. I just honestly assumed that as long as pilots don't sport seemingly outrageous hairstyles like mohawks, dreadlocks, or cornrows or spikey hair then it's ok with them. Dyed haired and long haired is accepted and haircuts could be given at request.

Well to say something logical and intelligent about my topic, I would say that the U.N Spacy may be openiminded about pilots having dyed hair, or radicalstyles just to give them chance to express their personalities.

Don't be presposterous. They CLEARLY banned anything over a quarter-inch long, or featuring un-natural colors.

UN spacey has a long detailed regulations about hair length and color for their pilots.

The thing is, warriors actually operate BETTER with only one eye visible (unless of course, they wear glasses). 

Notice how a sniper always closes one eye to fire.  Ever used a pistol?  see if you shoot better with one eye or two.

UNSpacey, and paticularly Valkyrie pilots figured out early on (especially in space) that having both eyes able to receive light and take in information was ultimately distracting to the pilots and caused lots of un-due death.

It should also be noted that unnatural hair color (be it dyed or otherwise) adds a great deal of skill to the person wearing it.  In the case of pilots, people with natural hair color tend to die in combat more often or suck A LOT with girls.  Neither of these make for good pilots.

UNSpacey encourages it's pilots to used a multitude of hair colors, though at the launch of the SDF they'd only stocked up on Blue.

Zentradi took this concept quite a bit further encouraging all kinds of wacky hair colors AND encouraged weird skin colors to aid their pilots.

397040[/snapback]

This must be a excerpt from a cannon fodder pilots flight manual!

great post! LOL

who says anyone's hair is dyed? its anime, any color in the spectrum is a normal natural hair color. More importantly, why would you ask if the UN spacy allowed pilots to have long hair, when they all obviously do, i cant tihnk of any off the top of my head that would be acceptable in the real air force with the possible exception of shin.

who says anyone's hair is dyed? its anime, any color in the spectrum is a normal natural hair color. More importantly, why would you ask if the UN spacy allowed pilots to have long hair, when they all obviously do, i cant tihnk of any off the top of my head that would be acceptable in the real air force with the possible exception of shin.

397084[/snapback]

Roy's hair in Mac Zero was regulation, although I'm sure it was getting close to the line...

No disrespect to you NERV but I said that SOME like Max and Gamlin have dyed hair while everyone elses hair is their natural respective color. I obviously know that the female charcters have long hair but when it comes to the males, they probably won't let their hair sag below the shoulders

Max's hair isn't dyed... it's blue. He has blue hair. This is anime... anime people have blue hair. Stig Bernard from Mospeada has blue hair. Blue hair in anime is quite common. Anime is an artistic art form of open expression, one outlet of that expression is giving characters various colored hair to differentiate them from the other characters. Anime has been doing it for decades. It does not mean they dye their hair, they just have colored hair. It's art.

If I remember from old the Belgian army has no problems with long hair. In fact when my friend was serving in the ArmyAir core he said that they refered to the Belgian army as the hippies as most of them had long hair. It seemed that they didnt need the regulation cut. Maybe they could have got away with long and blue.

Max's hair isn't dyed... it's blue. He has blue hair. This is anime... anime people have blue hair. Stig Bernard from Mospeada has blue hair. Blue hair in anime is quite common. Anime is an artistic art form of open expression, one outlet of that expression is giving characters various colored hair to differentiate them from the other characters. Anime has been doing it for decades. It does not mean they dye their hair, they just have colored hair. It's art.

397101[/snapback]

Actually there's a good case to be made tha Max's hair is dyed. IIRC he's the only non-alien in all of the Macross franchises who doesn't have a naturally occuring hair color. It seems that in Macross' case the anime convention of people having weird hair color only extends to aliens, or alien-human hybrids (like Mylene).

This is a military air force who gives it's pilots helmet that limit all upward visibility and cuts all peripheral vision.

Doesn't matter if they have colorful long hair bangs or not, the helmets already are designed as a pseudo-replacement for a cool swathe of hair (in different colors) swooping over your head and blocking your view.

They probably have all kinds of hair mods in the future. It could be that max is wearing a wig similar to roy in SDF:macross. (roy's hair in macross zero being the real hair while his tv series version has the wig for attracting the girls.) In an anime if you are unpopular you eventually have to die. So all the main characters have to be appealing to the audience if they wish to live. (unless there is a purpose for a character to be there)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Actually there's a good case to be made tha Max's hair is dyed.  IIRC he's the only non-alien in all of the Macross franchises who doesn't have a naturally occuring hair color.  It seems that in Macross' case the anime convention of people having weird hair color only extends to aliens, or alien-human hybrids (like Mylene).

397125[/snapback]

Then that logic extends to Stig and Yellow in Mospeada... all the humans have regular hair colors except for the aliens, Stig and Yellow. Blue in anime is simply "alternate black", it's just another way of having a unique character without giving him yet another head of black hair. If Max dies his hair then I guess he also dies his eyebrows because they are blue as well. He must also specifically request blue tinted corrective lenses for his glasses as well because they are also blue... which is quite stupid because that would make him virtually colorblind to certain colors. Not to mention a fighter pilot wearing glasses while flying a supersonic plane in combat!

Folks need to face it here, Max... has... blue... hair. It was a whim of the artists. Not every darn thing in an anime needs to be explained to death and analyzed. We don't need to know why the pilot's hair is long or blue or swirled into curly q's... it just is. It's to achieve a visual look and style to the show, nothing more. If the show was animated like real life then all the japanese characters whould have brown or black hair and all the military characters would have their hair high and tight... you'd never tell anyone apart.

Actually there's a good case to be made tha Max's hair is dyed.   IIRC he's the only non-alien in all of the Macross franchises who doesn't have a naturally occuring hair color.  It seems that in Macross' case the anime convention of people having weird hair color only extends to aliens, or alien-human hybrids (like Mylene).

397125[/snapback]

Then that logic extends to Stig and Yellow in Mospeada... all the humans have regular hair colors except for the aliens, Stig and Yellow. Blue in anime is simply "alternate black", it's just another way of having a unique character without giving him yet another head of black hair. If Max dies his hair then I guess he also dies his eyebrows because they are blue as well. He must also specifically request blue tinted corrective lenses for his glasses as well because they are also blue... which is quite stupid because that would make him virtually colorblind to certain colors. Not to mention a fighter pilot wearing glasses while flying a supersonic plane in combat!

Folks need to face it here, Max... has... blue... hair. It was a whim of the artists. Not every darn thing in an anime needs to be explained to death and analyzed. We don't need to know why the pilot's hair is long or blue or swirled into curly q's... it just is. It's to achieve a visual look and style to the show, nothing more. If the show was animated like real life then all the japanese characters whould have brown or black hair and all the military characters would have their hair high and tight... you'd never tell anyone apart.

397135[/snapback]

yup couldn't have said it better.

Don't get me wrong guys, I have nothing wrong with Max's blue hair. I like him with it. He looks rather unique with it in anyways. Like I said, I know it's just anime and that it's pretty much a routine to have characters with long flamboyant colored hair with wierd hairstyles and stuff but however I just think that Max's hair is a little too bold in blue and IMHO personally think that he would look better if his hair had was black with a little blue tinge in it. Not trying to start an argument or offend anyone so please respect my personal opinion OK? ;)B))

Well to say something logical and intelligent about my topic, I would say that the U.N Spacy may be openiminded about pilots having dyed hair, or radicalstyles just to give them chance to express their personalities. I just honestly assumed that as long as pilots don't sport seemingly outrageous hairstyles like mohawks, dreadlocks, or cornrows or spikey hair then it's ok with them. Dyed haired and long haired is accepted and haircuts could be given at request.

397043[/snapback]

Think about it. It's a UNITED government. I'm sure that they honor all types of hair styles considering they consist of members from all different countries. As far as blue hair is concerned, who's to say that it's dyed? I've always accepted Max as a guy with blue hair... and you're right, it just looks sooo cool!

We don't need to know why the pilot's hair is long or blue or swirled into curly q's... it just is. It's to achieve a visual look and style to the show, nothing more. If the show was animated like real life then all the japanese characters whould have brown or black hair and all the military characters would have their hair high and tight... you'd never tell anyone apart.

Actually I had that problem with yamato. All the characters looked the same to me because they all had similar looking faces and stuff.

But in some anime there really are reasons for the hair style: take bleach for example: there is one guy with spiky hair and each spike acts like an antennae to sense someone's presence. I thought it was funny but it was a cool idea.

Or in rpgs, the elves can hear better because they have sharper senses possibly due to thier catlike/doglike ears. There are elves in macross 7 so I'm thinking they might have reasons for looking like they do because of the culture or race or fashion.

Roy's long hair might have to do with his hobbies or lifestyle. Short hair might have been a sign you were boring person. So he wanted to look more hippie-ish like kaifun and grow it long to be cool with what people were into during the time.

Maybe roy is a fan of a certain band or something and wants to look like a certain musician? (there is a scene of him playing a guitar in the series so he could be into music or influenced by music as a hobby)

The stuff about wearing a wig is a joke of course.. but still to keep with the original tv series I wish roy looked more like the one in SDF:Macross. I have no problems with purple hair, blue hair green hair etc since it is just a staple of anime.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Maybe Max was actually the product of a secret breeding program carried on by a secret organization who's sole purpose was to restore the protocultre bloodline by selectively breeding humans who had odd hair coloring as that was taken as a sign of strong alient heritage!

Max was actually kwisatz haderach!

397135[/snapback]

And that's a perfectly good argument except for one thing: Mospeda isn't part of Macross. I'm not arguing that all characters in all anime who have unnatural hair colors must dye their hair. There are plenty of anime that do not use the wacky hair colors convention and with the exception of Max and aliens Macross seems to be one of them (across most of the franchise no less) which leads me to believe that the intent is that Max dyed his hair not that he was born that way.

Edited by Nied

Notice how a sniper always closes one eye to fire.  Ever used a pistol?  see if you shoot better with one eye or two.

Eyes Open > Eyes Closed

I can't see how anyone would shoot with them closed...lol

I realize you're being sarcastic and all, but snipers don't close one eye to shoot... You can look through a scope just fine with both eyes open (better actually since you suffer less from tunnel vision)

That doesn't really count IMHO. Look at any comic or animated show. 99% of the time, natural blonde and natural redhaired people will have BLACK eyebrows because it's either too difficult to do such a narrow line, or because the artist is just lazy.

That's always an annoyance of mine, anytime a redhead in comics has black eyebrows.

Max is no different. They're drawn black because of laziness, basically.

And you'll find just as many examples of black eyebrows on Milia for the same reason. Look at the clip you posted of DYRL--they're black, and I think we all agree she has naturally green hair and should have green eyebrows (like they are SOMETIMES drawn, usually by Mikimoto I think--he cares)

Edited by David Hingtgen

That doesn't really count IMHO.  Look at any comic or animated show.  99% of the time, natural blonde and natural redhaired people will have BLACK eyebrows because it's either too difficult to do such a narrow line, or because the artist is just lazy. 

That's always an annoyance of mine, anytime a redhead in comics has black eyebrows. 

Max is no different.  They're drawn black because of laziness, basically.

And you'll find just as many examples of black eyebrows on Milia for the same reason.  Look at the clip you posted of DYRL--they're black, and I think we all agree she has naturally green hair and should have green eyebrows (like they are SOMETIMES drawn, usually by Mikimoto I think--he cares)

397222[/snapback]

Actually in the M3 image I posted I cropped out the image of Millia where she had Green eyebrows.