Gundam Plamodel Thread - II

Seriously though, what happened to the PG line. Bandai seems to have completly dropped the ball on this one.

PGs are focused mainly toward the pro-modeller/collector/true high-end crowd. PGs are made in lower volumes (therefore, priced higher) and normally come in 1/60 scale. Since they are 1/60, and given that most people don't have the room for such a large model, the focus isn't on the PGs. Given the price of R&D, production and potenial sales, Bandai has to be really picky about what it produces in the PG-lineup. They can't just push it out like the HGUCs or MGs. There has to be a market for a PG or no deal.

I was thinking bout getting a new Nu Gundam since my first mastergrade was Nu Gundam......and I did a POOR job building it....I think I spent 125 on it cause the guy was a rip off....and I tossed it cause it really was so poorly constructed.

Now an official Hi-Nu Gundam MG would be fantastic.....I'd preorder that in a heart beat.

I used to be into PG kits, I have the Wing Zero, RX-78, Strike Gundam, Green Zaku, Red Zaku, MK.II, and MK.II Titans. The only ones I truly believe were worth it were the Mk.II's. I still look at the Mk.II Titans PG and love it. I also bought an EVA PG and man, talk about your disappointments...

I agree with the whole no room thing. My PG's are in boxes in the closet because of lack of room.

PGs are focused mainly toward the pro-modeller/collector/true high-end crowd. PGs are made in lower volumes (therefore, priced higher) and normally come in 1/60 scale. Since they are 1/60, and given that most people don't have the room for such a large model, the focus isn't on the PGs. Given the price of R&D, production and potenial sales, Bandai has to be really picky about what it produces in the PG-lineup. They can't just push it out like the HGUCs or MGs. There has to be a market for a PG or no deal.

Yeah I realise that PG are not an easy task to make and that they are not every mans cup of tea. But I get this feeling that the current interim between the Strike and the possible next one seems to be extra long. How long was the last interval between GP-01 and Strike?

I'm trying to collect my favourite mechs in one scale (not easy), that's why I have been staying away from MGs (PG 1/60 goes nice with valks). But my interest in these have been growing lately. Would the Nu Gundam be a good first purchase or should I just wait for the Hi-Nu (maybe even a Ver2 Nu)?

Edited by lechuck

How long was the last interval between GP-01 and Strike?
Here goes...

GENERAL RELEASES

1. RX-78-2 Gundam (11/1998)

2. MS-06F Zaku II (3/1999)

3. MS-06S Zaku II (Char Aznable’s Custom) (7/1999)

4. MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam (3/2000)

5. XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero Custom (11/2000)

6. RX-178 Gundam MK II (AEUG Use) (11/2001)

7. RX-178 Gundam MK II (Titans Use) (7/2002)

8. RX-78GP01Fb Zephyranthes Full Vernier (11/2003)

9. GAT-X105 Strike Gundam (11/2004)

10. FX-550 Skygrasper + AQM/E-X01 Aile Striker (6/2005)

11. MBF-02+AQM/E-X01 Aile Strike Rouge (8/2005)

;)

So they skip a year of PGs. Meh. We already heard from them that the focus in 2006 would be on Zeta and Seed.

I'm trying to collect my favourite mechs in one scale (not easy), that's why I have been staying away from MGs (PG 1/60 goes nice with valks). But my interest in these have been growing lately. Would the Nu Gundam be a good first purchase or should I just wait for the Hi-Nu (maybe even a Ver2 Nu)?

Depends on you. If you like Hi-Nu, get that. If you like Nu more, get that one.

Yeah I realise that PG are not an easy task to make and that they are not every mans cup of tea. But I get this feeling that the current interim between the Strike and the possible next one seems to be extra long. How long was the last interval between GP-01 and Strike?

I have the Nu and I for one think it's great. I'd recommend it, as it's a middle of the road priced MG. I think I paid 45 for mine. It's worth it, but to get a Sazabi to go against it will run you about 80 bucks, but that's worth it as well. I'll give Bandai credit for the fact that while I own some 1/48 valks, I question whether the product is worth the pricepoint. Even with my Gundam PG's I question it sometimes. But I've never questioned it with my HG or MG 1/100's. For the most part, if you pay 50 or more for an MG kit, you know it's worth it. Same goes for the cheaper ones, but they're still good. If you don't have a whole lot to spend, but want to test out an MG kit I'd recommend the RX-79(G) kit. You can buy one for about 30 shipped, and even though it's an older kit, it's still one of the great ones in my opinion. Actually, it's probably still my favorite with the Mk.II Titans 2.0 and Freedom being close seconds.

I'm posting pics of my 1/100 Endless Waltz Deathsythe hell for a fellow board member who wants to see this kit. It's been detailed, but seeing as how it's a dark colored kit the panel lines don't show up all that well.

wings folded:

IPB Image

can anyone tell me which sprue on the 1/100 MG GP01 Gundam has the complete hands and which one has the soft vinyl socket connector piece? last i knew another member told me along time ago it was sprue "A" for the hands and sprue "PC-111" for the soft vinyl socket connector piece. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

dax415

Grand Cannon,

Thanks for the link, that's going to help with my build as well. Looks like I need polycap "B" according to the build guide. Looking at the kit it looks like there are two more polycap sprues. I am assuming since the hands are still on the "A" sprue the polycap I need should still be on the P.C 111 sprue. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

@Dat Pinche Haro!

God damn, who's your hot avatar?

@Dat Pinche Haro!

God damn, who's your hot avatar?

her name is...Keeley Hazell

well just to sort of get back on topic...there's just so many MG and even beautiful 1/144 HG and HGUC kits out there it's really hard to decide what to buy...if I had the money, I would easily spend $2K in the kits I want...getting around to building them is a different story...I still have a couple kits from the whole amazon super sale on gundam kits from last year...I have yet to build 'em...It took me 6 months bo build a model kit of the Hazel kai that I bought almost a year ago also...It took me almost a whole 12 hour shift to complete the Hazel kai (and that's in between calls...I'm a phone operator)...Do you think I should invest into some good sprue cutters to make my life easier or does the good ol' cudicle cutter and x-acto knife good enough?

her name is...Keeley Hazell

well just to sort of get back on topic...there's just so many MG and even beautiful 1/144 HG and HGUC kits out there it's really hard to decide what to buy...if I had the money, I would easily spend $2K in the kits I want...getting around to building them is a different story...I still have a couple kits from the whole amazon super sale on gundam kits from last year...I have yet to build 'em...It took me 6 months bo build a model kit of the Hazel kai that I bought almost a year ago also...It took me almost a whole 12 hour shift to complete the Hazel kai (and that's in between calls...I'm a phone operator)...Do you think I should invest into some good sprue cutters to make my life easier or does the good ol' cudicle cutter and x-acto knife good enough?

I just picked up a really nice pair from Hobby Lobby for 8.99. The way the blades are curved I can get right next to the part, and have hardly anything to shave and sand off. I highly recommend them!

I'll agree on the clippers. I grabbed a pair of Baby Nippers from Yodobashi Camera a couple weeks ago and they're much nicer to use than the old wire cutters I had been using. Any kind of clipper is better than the X-Acto knife I used to cut parts off the sprue with. I managed to stab myself with that far more times than I can comfortably admit. It's much easier to build a kit without bandaids on your fingertips...

I'll agree on the clippers. I grabbed a pair of Baby Nippers from Yodobashi Camera a couple weeks ago and they're much nicer to use than the old wire cutters I had been using. Any kind of clipper is better than the X-Acto knife I used to cut parts off the sprue with. I managed to stab myself with that far more times than I can comfortably admit. It's much easier to build a kit without bandaids on your fingertips...

We've all been there before...I actually have a huge scar on my thumb from my 1/60 Strike Gundam.

Anyone picked up the F91 Harlock yet? Just wondering.

Dalong.net has a few scans. He'll probably have more later.

http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m95/m95_i.htm

From the looks of it, it doesn't appear to have any changes made to it since F91. So it's just a recolor version with no stand. Kinda like Titans-color Mk. II version 2.

Dalong.net has a few scans. He'll probably have more later.

http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m95/m95_i.htm

From the looks of it, it doesn't appear to have any changes made to it since F91. So it's just a recolor version with no stand. Kinda like Titans-color Mk. II version 2.

Well technically the Titans version had the waist mod that the AEUG didn't. Sorry, just being a smartass :p . Anyhow, I normally don't go for repaints but man...I'm liking this even though I have the F91 already. Dammit! The only other repaints I have are:

RX-78-4 and 5

Fazz Sentinel

Mk.II both versions

Char's Zaku and two green Zaku's.

Sigh, well call me a sucker I'm gonna buy it or I know I'll just regret it...Damn I'm a bandai whore.