More Details On Star Wars The Tv Series

I can see it now, the theme of the show, Tattooine 90210....

We get to see Luke growing up, the trauma of his girl friends rejecting his dumb ass, what he and Biggs really did in those canyons... poping womp rats.... yeah, sure, (brokeback tatooine anyone?) and learn about the long road it took from young skywalker in a canyon with Biggs to french kissing his sister.

All courtesy of Lucas.

What I wouldn't mind them doing is a series in the knights of old republic. Liked that one a lot.

Edited by kalvasflam

We get to see Luke growing up, the trauma of his girl friends rejecting his dumb ass, what he and Biggs really did in those canyons... poping womp rats.... yeah, sure, (brokeback tatooine anyone?) and learn about the long road it took from young skywalker in a canyon with Biggs to french kissing his sister.

All courtesy of Lucas.

What I wouldn't mind them doing is a series in the knights of old republic.  Liked that one a lot.

382534[/snapback]

Proof of concept, bsu.

All courtesy of Lucas.

What I wouldn't mind them doing is a series in the knights of old republic.  Liked that one a lot.

382534[/snapback]

Proof of concept, bsu.

382542[/snapback]

LOL! :lol:

If we can hope that this new series is going to be somewhere near the level BSG has gotten who as a Star Wars fan can complain? Its WAY too early to hate or cry childhood rape.

I agree though, anything with Thrawn in it would be teh uber.

Edited by Zor Primus

Far as I know Joss Whedon is one of the writers.

Can't argue with that at all.

382533[/snapback]

Oh, awesome, that means it will take two years for him to finish an episode. Thanks for all your hard work on Astonishing X-Men, Joss... when you can be bothered to do it.

yeah, you tell that joss whedon what's what!

In other, less whiney fanboy matters:

I hope this show turns out good. I'm hoping having a smaller budget will mean they will be forced to focus on characters and story rather than big flash scenes or events.

I kind of think the whole problem with Lucas is he is stuck on the Ep I to Ep VI time frame. It gets really annoying. I kind of hope he gets over the Skywalkers and just move on.

heh, but if he is insistent, why doesn't he do a show on young Leia. We can show her as a little girl, growing up into an angsty teenager with boy problems, experimenting with little girl love, and then moving to the mature adult that gets chased down by and bitchslapped by daddy.

To quote Rick McCallum, "It’s going to be much darker, much more character-based, and I think it’s going to be everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be.

That actually sounds vaguely interesting. Only fear is, the more they show about the Star Wars universe, the more they manage to screw it up. If we're lucky, it'll be a self-contained story that doesn't step too much on the status quo.

Just to clarify for everyone:

THE STAR WARS TV SERIES IS NOT ABOUT LUKE SKYWALKER

To quote Rick McCallum, "It’s going to be much darker, much more character-based, and I think it’s going to be everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be. They’ll be one-hour episode. It takes place between Episodes III and IV. It’s going to be all-new characters, maybe a few bounty hunters in there to start the series off."

I'm sure Roy or another mod can go back and fix the thread sub-title before others come into it posting on it.

382495[/snapback]

Oh great. Just what SW needed after those prequel failures. A tv series failure.

Maybe someone should tell McCallum that darker and character driven DON'T happen when EVERYONE knows what's going to happen. This is only gonna fly if he's planning to kill off 50% of the cast per season to keep character mortality at the forefront and to make reality "Anything goes, and nothings 'safe' or a 'known'!".

But they'll fail because they'll cast people on thier audience appeal and not how well they act.

isn't it a tad presumptuous of LFL that this show is going to go 100 episodes? They have no control over network TV let alone the networks themselves and if this show does not have and then keep a massive draw I think it will get yanked in favor of something else.

382515[/snapback]

You're right in that Lucas is quite capable of bankrolling this on his own. The guy has nothing if not the money to do whatever he wants.

Oh great. Just what SW needed after those prequel failures. A tv series failure.

Given how much money the prequels made, I fail to see how they're "failures".

Far as I know Joss Whedon is one of the writers.

Can't argue with that at all.

- C

382533[/snapback]

Never heard that one. I highly doubt it. He could doctor the scripts when they're done if they actually want a good script though.

If it did have Joss writing it, I'd probably watch it.

Edited by Gaijin

Star Wars all weathered like Firefly, unlike the PT.

Mal shoots first, I mean Han, I meant Han did in the past. I mean, what do I mean? I mean that that series needs lightsabers! Good looking ones! Not those crappy generic sabers that the jedi council and all the non-main character jedis use.

Dark is good. 100 episodes of Luke shooting rats, whining, angsting, and masturbating over the comatose redneck farm girl with freckles and enormous... zits, he found at the site of a speeder crash. Then we find out that Owen is pissed at Obi-wan for screwing Beru behind his back... while he was sleeping under a jedi mind trick... And this was going on for years, until Obi-wan was unfocused one session and Owen woke up.

What I wouldn't mind them doing is a series in the knights of old republic. Liked that one a lot.

Yeah. The best Star Wars material since the original trilogy came from Bioware. Even Obsidian's rushed follow-up was better than the prequels.

Just to clarify for everyone:

THE STAR WARS TV SERIES IS NOT ABOUT LUKE SKYWALKER

To quote Rick McCallum, "It’s going to be much darker, much more character-based, and I think it’s going to be everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be. They’ll be one-hour episode. It takes place between Episodes III and IV. It’s going to be all-new characters, maybe a few bounty hunters in there to start the series off."

I'm sure Roy or another mod can go back and fix the thread sub-title before others come into it posting on it.

382495[/snapback]

Maybe someone should tell McCallum that darker and character driven DON'T happen when EVERYONE knows what's going to happen. This is only gonna fly if he's planning to kill off 50% of the cast per season to keep character mortality at the forefront and to make reality "Anything goes, and nothings 'safe' or a 'known'!".

But they'll fail because they'll cast people on thier audience appeal and not how well they act.

382638[/snapback]

My one wish in life is to find a thread that is devoted to a Star Wars topic that doesn't include "Star Wars Sucks" over and over in it.

I will probably win the lottery or get struck by lightning first :p

More fast dogfights! Not slow ones like in EP III. (see macross Zero ova for 'fast' and 'speedy' examples)

Where BSG tries for realism I want this to be solely fantasy with fantasy physics and unrealistic stunts and stuff.

I liked the old trilogy action scenes because of the blistering pace that things moved at and the surrounding area, not necessarily the fx alone, or light sabers. In fact I am one of the few that liked PT for fast light saber duels (much better then OT) but loved the fighting in space and other stuff from OT.

Now is their chance to give regular doses of action and drama. But not so dramatic that we see the typical angsty teen with girl probs or stupid stuff that little kids couldn't care less about. It's primarily action and fantasy that I go into star wars for. Not the science, the realism, or because of the acting talent. (although that is important too) If they do it right (like the clone wars toon which oozes cool) then I will be watching it all.

I want a character who is strong, knows wtf they are doing, is in danger of being hunted, killed, imprisoned, lost, shot at by droids, chopped into pieces, eaten by a monster, captured by aliens etc that we got from the OT but made for tv audience with a cliff hanger on each ep and definate beginning middle and end from ep1 all the way up to ep 100, so you would be forced to not miss an episode and to not miss the story for fear there would be a huge gap there. (as opposed to the enemy of the week aproach)

I like drama but they screwed it up in the PT and the action in that felt watered down due to only focusing on light saber duels and less on the 'action/adventure' feel of the OT. (space, ground, desert, snow, inside ship, between fighters, gun fight-type action)

What might seem like mere 'filler' to other people is 'reason to keep watching' for kids and fans of the OT. My guess is if they are going for a more Rogue centred character make that rogue cool enough to care about. He should essentially be a cowboy in space managing to escape danger in every situation he is in. (and somehow surviving each encounter and learning something out of it) That's what I mean by 'adventure', which I feel was was missing from PT. The fantasy element is what makes star wars cool because it is an escape from the real world. Don't let the real world intrude too much on the series if they want to appeal to the younger generation because I have a feeling that's not what they would want.

Given the amount of CG aliens in your typical star wars movie these days, will it matter that much? I just realised that apart from the main characters, the humans weren't really the 'stars' of the star wars movies so much as the 'characters' in them (yoda, the slimey mercenary dude in the burger shop, the alien jedi, the cg battle droids, the cg villain with four arms 'grievious', etc etc) and what they do.

If the series was about Jabba the hut and his criminal organisation and it turned out to be a star wars Sopranos I actually thnk this would be entertaining enough. Each ep a bounty hunter would be hired to bring back a certain alien that owes jubba the hut money and this gives a chance to see han solo and some new aliens in a darker setting. Maybe it will show a more gritty side to the universe and instead of hope (ep IV) the whole story is doom and gloom with lots of death and suffering and opression and slavery due to the corruption in the underworld as well as within the empire. (now that Jedi are seen as criminals to be hunted, there is no one to really 'protect the innocent' apart from rogues with a sense of cunning who may have the wits to survive in the world - like a 'thief' type character who has to be selfish to get by rather than 'Pure' and always following some ideal or order like the knights would)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I guess after all this what I wanted to say was I wanted Diehard in space.

The imperials would be the terrorists with the upper hand, while the rogue might play a underdog type character trying to escape from various dangers like bounty hunters, or storm troopers or people he has had to rip off. The troopers would be like Elite SS and the character would need to do what he could (use his wits and experience and have a smug attitude) to survive in the bad situation he is in like Mclane in the Diehard movie. Basically the action would flow like that and you would wonder how is he going to get outof this one? So you keep watching and watching because of this sense of danger the reckless cowboy has gotten himself into and how the underdog has to beat the odds against these elite soldiers. That's what I got in OT: lots of variety but always flowing so your attention was glued to the screen wondering "what is going to happen next?" The character also has to have a sense of humor about it to relieve stress, so it feels like an adventure more than suspense, because the main character might actually be having fun. (not intentionally trying to harm people but having to break all the rules to live)

He wouldn't be an 'antihero' (there is plenty of room to add a wolverine style cowboy in there in another character if they want) but more like a guy just trying to live in a bad situation that he is in which is out of his control.

More fast dogfights! Not slow ones like in EP III. (see macross Zero ova for 'fast' and 'speedy' examples)

I liked the old trilogy action scenes because of the blistering pace that things moved at and the surrounding area, not necessarily the fx alone, or light sabers. In fact I am one of the few that liked PT for fast light saber duels (much better then OT) but loved the fighting in space and other stuff from OT.

Battles weren't much faster in the OT. If anything, they were slower and had more plodding setups and buildups that resolved in fast action in bits and in suspense at other times. The difference between the PT and OT space battles were that the OT's had a point. Or rather, it at least let you follow the tactical development and it mattered who won, and wasn't just a setup for uber-j3d1 lightstick antics.

I don't care what its like if it has lightsabers. Lightsabers make everything better.

382624[/snapback]

382788[/snapback]

Yup.

The difference between the PT and OT space battles were that the OT's had a point. Or rather, it at least let you follow the tactical development and it mattered who won, and wasn't just a setup for uber-j3d1 lightstick antics.

When luke speeds above, under, to the side, in between the narrow corridor as the walls race past threatening to clip a wing, all while people are threatening to shoot you in the back, just to fire the torpedo to take out the deathstar, that is speed. That is danger.

When he gets on the landspeeder with tree trunks and bushes poking out your eyeballs as the camera is set low and you see him dodge between the trees, that is danger, that is edge of your seats stuff.

When luke crashes his snowspeeder into the ground and skids it and you see the ground around him sliding past as the bottom scrapes along the surface: that is a sense of speed.

When you see the dogfight in the clone wars cartoon, similar speed to something from macross zero: that is speed.

I guess what I am saying is, ep III seemed slow compared to these ones. There were some scenes that were great like in ep2 where they are chasing the assasin, and the Jango and son chase, and the race in ep1 but I still felt they lacked the tension and sense of danger you see in clonewars or OT. The ep III opening was "epic and grand" with lots of scenary but it felt like they were going pretty slow imo, almost at a relaxed pace like they were taking thier time and not really in a big rush orthat there was a sense of urgency like the deathstar scene. Instead of 1 missile which anaking dodges with no sweat (just him going through the motions) why not have anakin dodge 5 or 6 missiles? You know what I mean?

I also thought general grievious was more threatening in the clonewars cartoon than the movie despite how he is in a cartoon. It's hard to say but maybe it is because he was built up. But that is what I want to see in a tv series. (build up the characters make them interesting and do things that you couldn't do with the movie due to time constraints.)