Good News For Mgs Fans

Speaking of Chuck Norris, remember his line of "fighting pants?" Jeans and slacks that were custom tailored to allow martial artists the ability to kick ass and show it off, too? LOL...

Nice! What I was (not really) surprised about is how adamant Kojima was against this blasphemously preposterous notion. I loved how he stepped out of the “tatamae†of not wanting to offend “the public†and basically said, “Hell noâ€.

Bow down _| ̄|○

グッジョブ!!           ∩   ∩

_ _∩           (⌒ )   ( ⌒)       ∩_ _ グッジョブ!!

(ヨ,,. i             |  |  / .ノ        i .,,E)

グッジョブ!!  \ \          |  |  / /         / /

_n      \ \   _、 _  .|  | / / _ã€_    ï¼ ãƒŽ

(  l     _、 _  ï¼¼ \( <_,` )|  | / / ,_ノ` ï¼‰ï¼ ï¼ã€€ã€€ã€€ _ã€_    グッジョブ!!

\ \ ( <_,` ) \         ノ(       ï¼ï¼¿___( ,_ノ` )    n

ヽ___ ̄ ̄ ノ   |      /   ヽ      | __      \     l .,E)

/    /     /     /    \     ヽ   /     /\ ヽ_ï¼ ï¼

Edited by Spatula

Is a metal gear solid movie on the cards??? If anyone's got more info on this please spill the beans....Irrespective of who directs it I seriously hope a movie isn't made...video game to movie adaptations NEVER hit the mark spot on and to me its sort of blasphemous to try to bring metal gear solid to the big screen when all the games themselves are like interactive movies. As it is the MGS franchise is unblemished storywise. U know when you play an MGS game that you're in for at least a very well thought out and discussion provoking experience... a shithouse movie would wreck that reputation.

....Irrespective of who directs it I seriously hope a movie isn't made...video game to movie adaptations NEVER hit the mark spot on

Because changes HAVE to be made.

The raving fanboys won't admit it, but what makes a good movie and what makes a good game are totally diffrent.

Just to grab an example... if the Mario movie had been a faithful adaptation, it would've been 90 minutes of a fat guy running around jumping on mushrooms and plucking fireballs out of his nose.

I admit most of them could have been handled far better, but the perfectly faithful adaptation the gamers invariably clamor for JUST ISN'T POSSIBLE.

and to me its sort of blasphemous to try to bring metal gear solid to the big screen when all the games themselves are like interactive movies.

Several parts can be scrapped, as they serve no purpose narrative-wise.

Remember the shape-memory card to arm/disarm the nuke? Yeah, there's a REAL good reason to make people run around and catch pumonia for an emergncy disarming mechanism.

How about when you first meet Sniper Wolf? And you have to backtrack ALL THE WAY to get a rifle?

They're both pure game filler.

Actually, the whole Sniper Wolf arc won't work in a movie.

Sniper VS sniper is just plain BORING to watch. And no movie audience will forgive the fact that she's still alive and fit for a rematch after taking several shots to the head and chest. That arc, movie-style, is over FAST. Wolf clips Snake, Snake fires back and wounds her fatally. They meet BEFORE the first shot is fired, not AFTER a shootout.

Vulcan Raven is a problem too. The man carries a gun BIGGER THAN HE IS. Add an exoskeleton or leave him out for the movie. He's just not credible.

Really, a movie based on Metal Gear Solid would leave most of the content out. A lot of it is "game filler" that doesn't advance the narrative, and isn't very interesting to watch.

Liquid's in.

Ocelot's in.

Grey Fox is in.

Meryl's in. What good is a movie without a romance interest?

Sniper Wolf makes the cut under the hot villain rule, but her story arc is dealt with massively diffrently.

Decoy Octopus COULD be in, but he's so easy to miss in-game that he'll probably be skipped over on film too.

If Psycho Mantis makes it, it'll be abbreviated, and in a radically diffrent form than his digital showing.

Raven's almost guaranteed out.

95% of all codec conversations are gone. Select Otacon, Naomi, and Campbell calls are the only ones that are really important to the story. The others are concessions to the game, though "Deep Throat" provides an interesting plot twist, and might be retained.

All conversations will be rewritten. The games have far too much monologue for their own good.

Sniper Wolf: I am... dying. Your last shot... pierced... my lung. Please... listen to my... life story... though it may take... a half-hour... to tell. I know... I said my lung... is bad.... but I've still got... more than ... enough air... for a lengthy... monologue.

Most equipment will be scrapped, because there's no way for Snake to carry it all around, and don't add a lot to the movie. They're toys implemented for a single in-game purpose.

The Box is in, but ONLY as fan service. </wishful_thinking>

I'd expect binoculars, the pistol, a couple of grenades, a missile launcher for the Metal Gear fight, the codec, maybe the IR goggles... a VERY slimmed down gear set. Cigs SHould make it in under fan service, but I'm not confident that they will.

As it is the MGS franchise is unblemished storywise.

MGS2: Sons of Liberty? :p

If you consider the entire Metal Gear franchise instead of just the Solid games, Metal Gear 2 has issues as well.

Having Big Boss come back as a cyborg is pushing things JUST A LITTLE.

U know when you play an MGS game that you're in for at least a very well thought out and discussion provoking experience... a shithouse movie would wreck that reputation.

The NES adaptations didn't kill it.

Sons of Liberty didn't kill it.

It can survive a bad movie, which generally isn't held against the games regardless.

And given how much control Konami gives Kojima over the license, odds are good it WON'T be a bad film. If it is, it won't fall in the writing.

Edited by JB0

Sniper VS sniper is just plain BORING to watch.

I guess you haven't seen Enemy at the Gates then? You should have a look at it...it's a great sniper vs sniper movie. On the subject of an MGS movie, I think it could work. The story of the original MGS1/Twin Snakes would translate well to a movie, if tweaked properly. Sure, you have to make some changes to make a movie dramatic, but that doesn't mean raping the original source material (as every video game adaptation has done up to now). In the hands of the right director and writer, MGS could be fantastic. Thank god it's not Uwe Boll.

I guess you haven't seen Enemy at the Gates then? You should have a look at it...it's a great sniper vs sniper movie. On the subject of an MGS movie, I think it could work. The story of the original MGS1/Twin Snakes would translate well to a movie, if tweaked properly. Sure, you have to make some changes to make a movie dramatic, but that doesn't mean raping the original source material (as every video game adaptation has done up to now). In the hands of the right director and writer, MGS could be fantastic. Thank god it's not Uwe Boll.

370914[/snapback]

It doesn't necessarily have to be sniper vs. sniper. It could be snake armed with only a pistol vs. sniper wolf. Now figuring out how snake could win would be interesting. They could build the fight up too, have snake injured earlier by sniper wolf so he's forced to retreat.

Fawk Uwe Boll.

370735[/snapback]

Uwe Boll-Bah...Everyone knows that an MGS script should only be handled by Jerry Bruckheimer...

370743[/snapback]

The only thing offending the public (whole mankind) would be allowing Uwe to do it...

370768[/snapback]

Whats wrong with Uwe Boll directing?

Everything!!!!!!!!!

I guess you haven't seen Enemy at the Gates then? You should have a look at it...it's a great sniper vs sniper movie.

I'll keep that in mind.

On the subject of an MGS movie, I think it could work.  The story of the original MGS1/Twin Snakes would translate well to a movie, if tweaked properly.  Sure, you have to make some changes to make a movie dramatic, but that doesn't mean raping the original source material (as every video game adaptation has done up to now).  In the hands of the right director and writer, MGS could be fantastic.  Thank god it's not Uwe Boll.

I'd really rather see them go back to the original Metal Gear. It had less subplots for the fanboys to miss, which also leaves the writers free to flesh things out cinema-style without people griping so much.

And at this point a lot of them have never seen the origins of Solid Snake anyways, so it'd kill two birds with one stone.

It doesn't necessarily have to be sniper vs. sniper. It could be snake armed with only a pistol vs. sniper wolf. Now figuring out how snake could win would be interesting. They could build the fight up too, have snake injured earlier by sniper wolf so he's forced to retreat.

Which gets back to my point about adaptation being required.

The fanboys will foam at the mouth about that not being how it happened and how they should've had a pair of rifle duels like in the game, but it'd work pretty well and IMO that's one of the big places the game could be improved on anyways.

And an injury isn't that implausable. Liquid wanted Snake alive, and if I recall things, Wolf was having fun with him anyways.

!

How's this sound, though?

Wolf shoots Meryl like in the game. Being a noble yakyak blahblah, Snake surrenders to Wolf. Wolf hands him over to Ocelot for interrogation, Snake starts planning his escape.

In short, cut everything between the opening shot on Meryl and the end of the first sniper battle, which was filler anyways, and change the capture to reflect this.

Next encounter opens with a missed shot from Wolf, again like in the game. Depending on if the writers have given him a rifle, there's 2 possibilities here.

1. RIFLE DUEL!!!!111ONEONEoneoneone

This is "just like the game," only with 1-hit kills. For theatrics, we'll have them take a few shots at each other. Wolf's opening shot, Snake dives for cover, assembles his rifle, peeks out to locate her, Wolf takes another shot, Snake takes a shot back, moves, Wolf takes another shot, which grazes Snake's leg, Snake shoots her for the kill.

2. Stealth+handgun.

Add more trees to the battlefield. This lets Snake do what Snake does best. He uses the trees as cover, and sneaks closer to Wolf's location, until he can get her with his pistol.

More tension here, since Wolf can strike at Snake and he can't strike back, and the writers don't have to justify Snake taking a rifle, which is mostly useless given his mission, and hauling it all over the base.

Either way, we'd better have done all of Wolf's character development beforehand, as she's not gonna get a lot of speaking time afterwards. Conveniently, the movie has more opportunities for events happening away from Snake, so we can do her backstory whle Snake's doing something else..

....Irrespective of who directs it I seriously hope a movie isn't made...video game to movie adaptations NEVER hit the mark spot on

The raving fanboys won't admit it, but what makes a good movie and what makes a good game are totally diffrent.

I admit most of them could have been handled far better, but the perfectly faithful adaptation the gamers invariably clamor for JUST ISN'T POSSIBLE.

I agree that it isn't possible, my point is that the MGS games in general are cinematic enough to not need a movie. If kojima were to write the script himself and have super-control over the directing then i'm sure the movie would be great but that'll never happen. Writing and directing for most game to movie conversions are usually outsourced to film-making professionals. I'm not picky about the movie being based perfectly on any of the MGS games but from my nostalgic viewpoint an outsourced movie without much Kojima involvement just doesn't seem necessary.

That's a personal opinion. Gamers got pissed off at raiden, not at the gameplay and graphics which were absolutely stunning at the time. MGS2 may not have a very satisfying ending but the story was still engaging and interesting none the less.

U know when you play an MGS game that you're in for at least a very well thought out and discussion provoking experience... a shithouse movie would wreck that reputation.

It can survive a bad movie, which generally isn't held against the games regardless.

True. But given how much I like the series right now I'm just too cautious to want to risk seeing a bad movie.

Edited by Eazy D

I agree that it isn't possible, my point is that the MGS games in general are cinematic enough to not need a movie. If kojima were to write the script himself and have super-control over the directing then i'm sure the movie would be great but that'll never happen. Writing and directing for most game to movie conversions are usually outsourced to film-making professionals. I'm not picky about the movie being based perfectly on any of the MGS games but from my nostalgic viewpoint an outsourced movie without much Kojima involvement just doesn't seem necessary.

I actually suspect Kojima wouldn't make a good movie director.

I don't question his ability as a script writer or game director, but he's used everyone doing EXACTLY what he wants, because he makes the entire world he's directing.

He's also not greatly experienced with camera work, which is one of the tasks a movie director has to deal with. Game cameras are a totally diffrent ballgame, as style takes a backseat to clarity.

And nothing really NEEDS a movie.

It's the kind of thing that's done because people want to see it.

That's a personal opinion. Gamers got pissed off at raiden, not at the gameplay and graphics which were absolutely stunning at the time. MGS2 may not have a very satisfying ending but the story was still engaging and interesting none the less.

Most of the complaints I saw revolved around the story. Raiden was a prominent figurehead, but hardly the primary gripe.

True. But given how much I like the series right now I'm just too cautious to want to risk seeing a bad movie.

Fair enough.

I don't question his ability as a script writer or game director, but he's used everyone doing EXACTLY what he wants, because he makes the entire world he's directing.

371236[/snapback]

Very true, but Kojima is probably capable of finding someone who WOULD be a good director for it, and then serving as an advisor where needed.

371236[/snapback]

Very true, but Kojima is probably capable of finding someone who WOULD be a good director for it, and then serving as an advisor where needed.

371289[/snapback]

He's already shown excellent judgement by saying UWe Boll has no chance whatsoever. :)

"Ten times better, tons of people, being number one in the directorial market..." So on and so on. Where the frak does this guy get his numbers?

Boll Bites Back!!

371591[/snapback]

"I've met tons of people who think BloodRayne is way better than Underworld 2..."

Yeah, he sure has his sights set high with that one...

"And besides, says Boll, what exactly is it that we are expecting from him? After all, he is using videogames as his source material, and they're hardly reknowned for their complex characterisations and sophisticated narratives."

Ummm... you ever consider choosing a source that you find more suited for the medium?

Edited by JB0