How Long Will Macross Fandom Be Around?

Dante74

note to moderators: please feel free to move this topic to the right subjectgroup

note to long time members: This subject has problably been done to death, but I couldn't find it.

I'm 31 now and when I show my collection of Japanese toys related to an 80's anime I just get weird faces looking at me like I'm the ultimate nerd. Here in the Netherlands, Macross is totaly unknown so that adds to the reactions of friends and family.

The show is almost 25 years old now and there don't seem to be plans for a new series or movie. I was just wondering about some things;

- How long can we enjoy collecting Macross related toys/models before the companies making all this wonderfull stuff lose interest?

- In ten years time, will it be even weirder for a guy in his 40's to collect toys of an anime that nobody knows about, and will I need to move my collection to a hidden closet like it's some nasty fettish?

- In ten years time, will the only thing you can find on the internet related to Macross be a couple of items on Ebay?

In ten years time I probably won't have time to deal with Macross toys even if they still release them. But that doesn't mean I still won't think fondly about it and the memories; I still see myself watching the anime series though that I doubt will change. However, I'd probably sell everything or close to everything by then, too many priorities by then and toys certainly won't be one of them. I am just glad I am not one of those super hoarders who'll be stuck with toys that they need to liquidate in the foreseeable future for other financial priorities. :lol::rolleyes:

As for the closet comment, dude they are already there! :lol: And my personal take on the companies releasing products is they will continue doing it, as long as they can maintain interest and proftable sales. But, think about this fact, even URUSEI YATSURA which was the UNDISPUTED KING of anime in its day for nearly a decade cannot be revived. UY is pretty damn dead, sure reruns still air in JP I know I saw some just last month, but toywise very few things and NO new anime.

IMO Macross' time will come in the future where it just isn't profitable enough to continue making new molds or series and by then I no longer expect to be involved. I will getting off of the Macross train by then. :p 'Nuff said.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

In ten years time, i'll still have them in my closet. And i'll still continue to collect. Yup, despite what others' opinions are because I don't give a rats @#!! what they think. After all, we are two different people. But hey, if you're single like me with minimal responsibilities then the more Macross stuff the merrier (sp?). Life is good when there's no GF or Wife influences.

In ten years time, i'll still have them in my closet. And i'll still continue to collect. Yup, despite what others' opinions are because I don't give a rats @#!! what they think. After all, we are two different people. But hey, if you're single like me with minimal responsibilities then the more Macross stuff the merrier (sp?). Life is good when there's no GF or Wife influences.

367003[/snapback]

Theres no way i'm selling off anything macross that i have i love

my 1/55s and the 1/60s look great and the 1/48 are just are

unrivaled.

Will there still be a strong fandom well thats upto us isn't?

It all depends on you. For me 1/55 it`s enough but I`m collecting other macross stuff and until now I don`t have a 1/48 but I`m planning to get just one but no interest in the VF-0S. Basically for me its always two from each that I fave the same thing with SW and MSG.

As for Kawamori making a surprise for the 25th anniversay ... I don`t think so, he`s too busy in his fantasy world and if makes a new show it`ll be humans transforming into Valks :lol: ... <_<

367003[/snapback]

In ten years time do you still think you will be single with no GF or wife? I cannot speak for you but I certainly won't be single. But I do agree about not giving a rats ass what others think about my hobbies, especially Macross. If I sell things off and/or decide to concentrate my interests elsewhere, it is b/c it is soley MY decision and I alone know my priorities in life. ;)

What up FM, well I just turned 29 this Month and i'm single. I have this weird sort theory about love 'n relationship whether its going steady or married. I don't believe in marriage or Gf because in the end we are nothing but animals doing it like in the discovery channel. I mean why get a GF or married when divorce prevails. Take a good look at the divorce rate alone in the States. It defeats the purpose of getting married. I think it is a waste of time, money, and energy. After all, everyone loves to have sex bro.

Its like nature of the beast. I mean we are constantly looking for more. Yes, even when we are married we still look, desire, and lust at other people. That is why people have mistress on the side or lovers on the side. Hence, infidelity.

Besides, marriage and relationship is not for everyone bro. Like Rod Stewart said: "Some guys have all the luck."

I rather spend my time and money on Macross. That is one dilemma eliminated.

367003[/snapback]

In ten years time do you still think you will be single with no GF or wife? I cannot speak for you but I certainly won't be single. But I do agree about not giving a rats ass what others think about my hobbies, especially Macross. If I sell things off and/or decide to concentrate my interests elsewhere, it is b/c it is soley MY decision and I alone know my priorities in life. ;)

367017[/snapback]

He was debating between the affordability of an MPC and the coolness of a 1/48. I told him to watch eBay and forums like this for a deal on the 1/48. It's a shame the 1/48s aren't more affordable.

Edited by jenius

Up untill ten years ago I collected Ferrari models. I just took a look at my collection of ferrari's and I realized I don't care very much for them any more.

I'd like to sell them, but I just can't be bothered to put them up for sale.

I'm really into Macross right now and I'm spending way to much money on the 1/48's.

When I look at my Ferrari collection it makes me doubt why I should spend this much money on Valks when, in a couple of years, I lose interest anyway?

They are just so beautiful!!

(I'm way to emotional, I need to put this glas of fine single malt Whisky aside and get to sleep) ;)

Been a Macross freak for over 20 years. There was no slowing down for me when the well was almost empty, I don't think I'll ever slow down being one. As long as they pump out grade A products, I think I'll keep getting them. It'd be better if they pumped out grade A entertainment along with the toys.

FOREVER. Back in 2000 we all migrated here bitching about why bandai isn't reissuing shi*, and why we gotta pay up the arse on ebay for strikes. 5 years later we bitch about what ISN'T made yet and the potential of cool stuff coming out, and how we still cherish bandais. We will still be around, it didn't stop us then, and it sure as hell isn't stopping us now.

As long as a market for productions and merchandise exists, companies will sell more Macross. Basically, if there's money to be made, some entrepreneur will sell products to turn a profit. The production of Macross productions and merchandise seems to be continuing in earnest, so for the foreseeable future it appears Macross fandom will continue onwards.

For the next ten years...anything is possible, even the Macross franchise can cease. But if you ask this question, all it means is you're growing up, getting older, and becoming wiser.

Any successful creative work invariably has a peak of awarness/popularity and then diminishes, often acting as a catalyst for other creative works. Like all human activities, creation is rarely seminal, rather building upon lessons and the works of past generations. Some creative works meet their peak early, others can go decades before recognition of the full potential is accepted.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Macross reached it's peak in the mid 1980's and has been a cult franchise ever since. This doesn't mean it will fade away quickly, if the Macross fandom and continued production of new merchandise is any indication. However, Macross is more likely to fade as our generation grows older, rather than sustaining itself by renewing interest in future generations, as has been accomplished by franchises like Star Wars and the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Simply put, demand is not great enough for Macross to be sustained without renewing interest over and over again.

Macross achieves a slightly diminishing return with the sale of nostalgia products and the occasional new production bringing in a few fans every few years, but not quite replacing the lost ones. This can go on for years, but eventually it will stop. Older fans will grow away from fandom (typically through lifestyle changes like new life directions, career goals, or families), become interested in other hobbies, or simply die. The fewer and smaller Macross productions will fail to bring in new fans as modern fandom places money into more appealing productions (Evangelion, Bebop, etc).

Personally, I'm not all that concerned should the end come for Macross. Few of the other franchises I adore have sustained my interest this long, yet I still enjoy those old franchises even after they are long past from pop culture memory (Alien, Terminator, and Mad Max just to name a few). Then new franchises appear to enjoy (Matrix, Bebop, Lord of the Rings to name a few) and the cycle of creative art and entertainment continues onward. Soon, holography will take over and all our beloved 2D films and entertainment will seem a quaint hobby to our children and their new world. Such is the cycle of life, no shame or sorrow, simply reality.

That's what i'm saying bro. Over sixty percent is very high and that is discouraging. So i'd rather have sex w/ them and no commitment. No headace but more fun in the bed room or else where. :D

If that is what you desire my friend more power to you! And yes I know the divorce rate is high last I checked over 60%. Frack! :o

367039[/snapback]

Definitely not the MPC, but the Yammy oh yeah baby!!! :D

He was debating between the affordability of an MPC and the coolness of a 1/48.  I told him to watch eBay and forums like this for a deal on the 1/48.  It's a shame the 1/48s aren't more affordable.

367048[/snapback]

My kid is 4 years old and I bought the Robotech series for him and he loves it!! We paly togheter with the Yamato´s 1/48´s... I guess he is the next generation that will make Macross Live as well as the toys!!! He is already a Macross Fan so his memories from his childhood will keep Macross Alive!!

As long as the fans of today can convert newer people to this series, then I think the toys will keep being made and profits continue. I'm a fan of mecha shows in general (I always make sure to mention macross as one of my all time favourites to boost awareness) so hopefully people will have fond memories of ova/movie like macross plus simply for the transformaing mecha designs and fights alone due to common interest.

As a fan of transforming mecha in particular I hold the vf1 as my favourite. Maybe kawamori should never have killed off Hikaru, misa and minmay and kept the franchise going and fed the fans what they wanted like what they going to try with robotech for people who remember it from the 80s: A massive saga that just keeps going on and on for generations and genrations. It probably would have resulted in new generations of fans wanting to get to know more about the original show (for backstory reasons) than to have them refuse to watch something due to age. (and for fear that because nobody else talks about it, it must mean that it sucks - peer pressure!)

It is a shame that one day people will get too old to care about macross. Maybe macross needs an alternate universe story like what has happened with gundam to keep interest with noobs?

Still I would be happy if they kept doing side stories here and there. If that translates into toys being made of all new valks (like VF0) I will not worry one bit. I believe a fans job is also to help pass the torch on to others who are non fans. If fans seperate themselves into camps and think of themselves as being wierd for liking a 20 year old show then others will really think you are wierd and tend to distance themselves from you for fear they will be wierd too if they hang with you. (rather than being curious and wanting to know more about it) The image should be changed from "wierd guy who likes this old stuff", to "this guy has class and taste and knows his mecha shows. Macross was a classic deserving of recognition, so owning toys and vintage stuff from this series shows how lucky he was to be around when it was still around and popular." That is the attitude others should have. They should admire the collection due to how long it's been since new toys were made of it. There may not be another series made like it again.

So if people do see something they have not heard of, rather than hide them in a closet, why not explain, inform and introduce them to it and maybe they will like it and get into it themselves? Maybe even lend them your dvd to watch it and see what they say and maybe the fanbase can grow? That has been my philosophy. If they don't share you taste in anime then move to another person and begin converting others who you think might like it if you recommend the show as something worth watching.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

*snip*

It is a shame that one day people will get too old to care about macross. Maybe macross needs an alternate universe story like what has happened with gundam to keep interest with noobs?

367109[/snapback]

Longevity has always been a two-edge sword. Long term success has always created as many problems as it solves.

Release numerous productions, the franchise becomes formulaic, tiresome, and old, leading to eventual audience apathy.

Cater to a larger market by releasing homogenous productions that appeal to the lowest common denominator, the franchise lasts only as long as it takes the audience to figure out such is the case.

Release nothing and the original only lasts as long as it takes for the industry technology/advance of the artform to date the original and propel it into obsolesence.

Kinda sucks if your a fan, but the eventual obsolesence of your favorite franchises does insure the continued need for reinventing storytelling. Thus, bigger and better stuff as the years go by.

I have been a Macross fan for years now.

Weather or not Macross is still popular or not doesn't bother me.

Once and awhile I'll pop DYRL or the TV series into the dvd player, watch it, be inspired and carry on with life. :D

I have enough Macross Junk to keep me happy to last a lifetime.

Now's an excellent time to be a Macross geek.

Thanks Yamato!... :lol::lol::lol:

Longevity has always been a two-edge sword.  Long term success has always created as many problems as it solves.

Release numerous productions, the franchise becomes formulaic, tiresome, and old, leading to eventual audience apathy.

367153[/snapback]

Cough........Gundam.........cough! :p

Graham

while I would love to see new macross material produced, I tend to agree with those who worry what forced longevity will bring... but as long as there are stories to be told and new characters to discover and love I'll be there along for the ride.

But much like star wars and star trek, I think that macross needs to be handed off to other creators in order to keep it fresh and alive.

"Everything that has a beginning has an end Neo"

"You are right Smith, you're always right"

I discovered that I was only collecting other toys (EVA, Matrix, SW) because of the lack of Macross items available. I've sold a great deal of my other collectibles. Some things, I'm still attached to, and won't sell. I was married too, and now I'm divorced, but my x-wife now collects Macross, so I guess I created a new Macross fan. We should treasure this Macross Renaissance, and also treasure the moments we could buy multiples of this amazing toys. In the end we will all get old and die, that is the only certain thing in this life. So might as well enjoy while we can, and try to make it good for ourselves and the ones we love. And even the ones we don't love.

And please relax guys, everything is going to be OK!

I forgot to say this in the last post. Basically what do you like about Macross, to keep interest in this frachise when getting old ?

For me since a kid even before Macross, I`ve always liked robots and jet fighters and Macross made them in one form. Even in my free time during school and collage or during the lesson :p I used to draw the VF-1 every where in my notebooks and the other thing I draw a lot till today besides the VF-1 is the Lightsaber .

My friends keep telling me what do you like about it, its just a transforming jet and weak/no chance in front of the super/go nagai robots (yep they are all go nagai fans) I don`t care what say :lol: at least the VF-1 design has no time age.

So from all of this I LOVE JET FIGHTER and its in our lives unlike super robots :lol:

I'm sure we will eventually get a new Macross TV series, or at least an OVA or movie. If not for the 25th anniversery, then perhaps for the 30th.

While Kawamori should of course still be retained as the primary mecha designer on any new projects (nobody else can design VFs like he can), I agree with others here that perhaps Big West should get somebody else to write and direct the story and avoid any mystical or tree-hugging elements that Kawamori seems so fond of now.

Oh and I have no plans of hiding away or selling my Macross toys, even though I'm now closer to 40 than I am to 30.

Graham

Macross fandom will continue to flourish as long as there are people who fancy stories that feature cutting edge fighter craft that transform into robots and things, guided by big haired pilots who dim-wittedly fumble about the women in their lives...

all I have to say is "do you know how mch my hopalong cassidy token is worth?!?!?" The market for howdy doody memorabilia might be smaller than 60 years ago but the prices you get are absurd if you ask me. GI joe has been around since before I was born, as was barbi, etch-a-sketch, potato head[now pipeless], and other stuff. I can't find an affordible set of "jarts" for the life of me though.

think about it. grahm gets cryo for 1000 years...

1000 years from now somebodies buying macross stuff again :lol:

just like fry driving a vw bus... macross will never die, just waxes and wanes.

heck... in 1000 years grham might be able to buy him a 1/1 scale vf. unfortunately he will get it on clearence as there are cooler things availible at the time... like a 1/1 sdf perhaps...