What's Eating Your $ Besides Valks

max

I'm sure we all have mortgages, loans, car payments etc but I was just wondering what other hobbies besides Macross toys are keeping you from paying all that off in a timely responsible fashion.

RC

I recently got into Kyosho Mini-z RC cars. They're 1/28 scale and I've been collecting them like gangbusters lately. I used to be into the larger 1/10 scale but living in NYC, I've decided i'd rather have the space. And I've discovered that the bigger your hobby items are, the geekier you look so I'm downscaling.

Instruments

Just got another guitar and a mean Ukulele, haha.

Lego

I use to also really be big into Lego as some of you may have seen some old posts of my Lego macross items. Haven't really had the time to mess around with them in over a year or so but I have a couple hundred pounds that become the bain of my existence everytime I move.

Games, saving up for new game hardware, (may need a wad of cash for ps3) transformer alternators, sometimes DVDs, and occasionally upgrading the pc to play... what else? latest games. I am not a toy collector normally but when I heard about the yamato 1/48 I got hooked. Wallet is angry.

Sometimes I spend money to go out to the movies, but only occasionally now. I find that I end up spending more money on the food that you buy to eat, than the movie itself.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

before macross there was once upon a time I collected these:

gundam merchanise primaily model kits bandai MG grade

franklin mint 1/48 diecast tanks and aircraft WW2 and modern

dvds region 1

building computers

dragon series 1/72 WW2 diecast tanks and planes

since macross consumed much of my resources ;) , I have to do away with some of the above and left with :

dragon 1/72 WW2 diecast tanks and planes

gundam ( only gundam fix )

star wars (just started)

but recently dragon has been phyically downsizing their WW2 tanks eg the T34, stugIV, that sucks big time... won't be buying them <_<

before macross.. i bought a couple of gijoes vehicles.....

after finding out about the 1/48 it all started there....

then i bought some binaltecs and MPs..

lego stars wars..

some action figure Marvel Legends, trigun black beast and gungrave.

i got one 1/60 strike gundam and intends to get some more of the same scale will depend on macross....

and all of that eats my $$$.... ;)

Aside from living expenses and student loans ... we're concentrating on:

1) Our Wedding for 2007

and when all possible (sometimes in secrecy from the lady), I try to squeeze the checking account for:

- Snowboarding Gear

- Perfect Gundams

- Binaltechs

- Street Fighter Figures

- and thinking about 1/6 RAH figures and 1/48 fighter figures.

Strippers...strippers...and more strippers.

JUST KIDDING.

Hmmmmm.... Money. What is that?

1) House (this thing cost me a fortune -- I HATE ARIZONA.)

2) 1969 Dodge Charger - $20,000 Restoration. I owe $9800.

3) Kids. They just cost me a lot of money what can I say?

4) Aviation Artwork. All the aces from WWII are getting long in the tooth so I am buying as many signed prints as I can find before these great men are gone forever.

I love your 'Stang but hate your payments. I've actually sworn to not buy another car for the rest of my life, as I don't miss being shackled to a monthly blood loss in the form of car payments. As for toy collecting, I'm pretty sure that those days are over for me...

Edited by myk

Try living in the SF Bay Area. It takes about a million dollars here to get a house that is in a nice location and can easily support a family of four. Bare minimum is about $600k. In a recent study to determine the worst places in the country to live by wage vs cost of living California had SEVEN of the top ten worst places to live. It's pretty pricey out here. Arizona has really boomed though, I remember considering buying a house out there seven years ago... i so should have done it.

EDIT - deleted duplicate "cost of living" and replaced with "wage" so it actuall makes some sense :D

Edited by jenius

Damn. Wasn't it just yesterday that people spoke of moving out to places such as Arizona and Texas to get "affordable" housing. Suddenly, it's no longer the case...

Damn.  Wasn't it just yesterday that people spoke of moving out to places such as Arizona and Texas to get "affordable" housing.  Suddenly, it's no longer the case...

360773[/snapback]

I can get twice the house *WITH* land for the same price in Texas. AZ is a total ripoff.

NICE ICON MYK. Who is that? :)

Edited by Skull-1

My albatrosses:

1) Comicbooks-- X-men related books, Infinite Crisis, 7 soldiers

2) Student Loans

3) Car Payment

4) Car Mods-- Theres some 18 inch Chrome Bullits with my name on them out there

5) DVDS--Damn you GITS I'm hooked, I now gotta go back and get the 1st season

6) Credit Card

Damn.  Wasn't it just yesterday that people spoke of moving out to places such as Arizona and Texas to get "affordable" housing.  Suddenly, it's no longer the case...

360773[/snapback]

I can get twice the house *WITH* land for the same price in Texas. AZ is a total ripoff.

NICE ICON MYK. Who is that? :)

360775[/snapback]

I believe that is keeley hazel, she's a model out of the UK... smoking hot.

Try living in the SF Bay Area. It takes about a million dollars here to get a house that is in a nice location and can easily support a family of four. Bare minimum is about $600k. In a recent study to determine the worst places in the country to live by wage vs cost of living California had SEVEN of the top ten worst places to live. It's pretty pricey out here. Arizona has really boomed though, I remember considering buying a house out there seven years ago... i so should have done it.

EDIT - deleted duplicate "cost of living" and replaced with "wage" so it actuall makes some sense :D

360755[/snapback]

AMEN.

Just bought my first home in San Diego last year. Kinda weird that a first home runs over half a mil AT LEAST! Therefore most of the funds go to:

1) Bills (mostly mortgage)

2) Little performance parts for the beemer

3) Arcade cabs/boards

4) Yahoo Japan for vintage home console videogame stuff

5) Going out, misc electronics, dvds/cds, paintball :)

Edited by StealthLurker

Hey Myk (and the rest of yas in California) ...

... you guy ever visited the middle states?

We went to Oklahoma and found 4 bedroom/3 baths/3 car garage houses for $210,000. up to 3,400 sq. ft. hee hee. ... but of course, lots of flat farm lands.

You can get up to 5,000 sq. ft. for $400,000 which is unheard of ... there's a house in my old neighborhood in San Diego that is 900 sq. ft. and it's $710,000 LOL. holy crap.

so anyway ... about Keely Hazel. heh heh heh ... what's up with her? :0

I have alot of R/C stuff too. I like the vintage Tamiya stuff, meaning the the stuff that costs a lot. I have a helicopter also. I flew my Kalt .30 one day and crashed it, then I bought a Hirobo shuttle and crashed that the first day. NOw I have a Kalt whisper that I will not even attemp to fly. :rolleyes:

For me

Gundam Fix

Studio Halfeye stuff

and Chogokins.

I never seem to have any money left anymore. <_<:(

chris

All of this talk has convinced me to stop buying toys altogether, for a while at least. I haven't even caught up with my personal wish list yet, which included the '48 CF, reissue '1S and VB-6 among other things. That Mechanic File Space Cruiser Yamato will have to wait too.

NICE ICON MYK.  Who is that?  :)

360775[/snapback]

I believe that is keeley hazel, she's a model out of the UK... smoking hot.

360792[/snapback]

She's Elin Grindemyr-a sweet little model out of Sweden, of course. Despite being topless, she hasn't had much "exposure" in mainstream media. Click on the link below my 'sig for a Google search on her...

Trying to do the same as KingNor and Godzilla with savings, but... the biggest holes in my income go to:

1. TAXES :(

2. Savings. Need to buy a house soon or fund moving to a place where money is worth more.

3. Savings for retirement.

4. Savings for health, insurance, long term disability

5. Food :p

6. Saving for a real vacation for at least one month! :lol:

7. Macross cels, gengas, posters

8. Other anime things: i.e. Studio Ghibli cels & GunBuster cels, gengas & figs

9. Real women :lol:

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Building my savings is actually my second largest expense after the mortgage (CA Bay Area). It is a lot better than the 'death by credit card interest' life I used to live. We had considered moving to TX to get a bigger house for the same price but it just wasn't a viable option since my career would stagnate if I left Si Valley.

Edited by Matt Random

I started collecting 1/48 scale Valkyries in December and now I'm playing catch up with the reissues. Besides collecting Yamato's Macross 1/48 scale Valks and accessories (I've just bought the 1/48 GBP Armor Parts Set), I've been an avid Soul of Chogokin collector. Furthermore, I collect gashapon or trading figures, but I've had to scale back with these smaller items because of the flurry of SOC and Yamato products releases these past two months. From browsing current Japanese toy magazines, I don't see my spending to cool down in the next couple of months.