Best Gaming Platform of All-Time

areaseven

Best Gaming Platform of All-Time  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Best Gaming Platform of All-Time

• Microsoft XBOX
    • Nintendo Entertainment System (Family Computer)
    • Nintendo Super NES (Super Famicom)
    • Nintendo GameCube
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Sega Genesis (MegaDrive)
    • Sega Saturn
    • SNK Neo-Geo
    • Sony PlayStation/PlayStation 2
    • Other (Please Specify)

The old PS1. Brought us Castlevania SOTN, MGS, FFVII, Soulblade, and so much more. The screen add on for the PS1 was a lifesaver for TDY's in the Air Force. First system I ever stayed up all night playing, too.

Edited by Anubis

I say that the sony playstation and PS2 are the best only because they have shelled out alot of games and both are still going strong. I can't believe they are still making games for PSone. Another system that surprisingly survived was the game boy line. From game boy to game boy color, to game boy advance and now game boy advance SP. I give nintendo props for these systems because they are still running strong after so many years! If only their home console could be as successful..... :p:D:lol:

I'm voting based on your verbage in the poll: you said platform and not console so my most favorate gaming platform is PC.

So I vote OTHER: PC

(yes it is not in the spirit of the poll, but us PC groupies have to raise a little hell now and then)

haha, I feel yah. I gotta say Mac then (I gotta represent for the Mac people out there!), even though there's not much games on it, but I do love warcraft for the Mac, it just rocks! I hope they end up making half-life 2 for the mac so that I can play that game and download the counter-strike mod for it! :p:D:lol:

It's funny, but even though I'm primarily a PC gamer and always have been, I just realized I own three of the game consoles on that list. Out of the three systems I own (Sega Dreamcast, Xbox, and Super Nintendo) I'd have to say the SNES was probably the system that I loved the most. The SNES was released in what could probably be described as my golden age of gaming, when I was about 16-20 years old and had nothing to do but attend high school/college, party, and play video games :) As far as consoles go, I played the most console games on the SNES. THere was a lot of fun games and I had a blast. Though I still game, it's that time and that console I look back to most fondly.

If the Platform definition holds, the PC is my gaming hardware of choice. No console, no matter how much I like it, can compare with my PC. It will always be my PC.

Edited by Mr March

I have memories with a lot of these systems, but most of the good ones were Nintendo based. I wanted to vote for the NES but something led me towards the SNES, I guess it must have been A Link To The Past, Super Metroid, NBA Jam, Super Street Figther, Final Fantasy 3, Mortal Kombat, PILOTWINGS, Super Mario World, and all the other great titles that graced that system. B)

PS One. Some of those games I really like alot. I grew up on Atari, Colecovision, NES, Genesis, SNES but the PS one really pushed gaming into new areas. Not all for the good though....the PS2, so far, really hasn't really delivered. Sure there are some good games but the ratio is like 1 good to 15 bad. Most of the games are terrible.

I really wish the Sega Dreamcast would have lasted. I've been playing that more than my PS2...

The best one has to be the first one. The NES, without it none of the stuff we have now would come about. Like Mario, Final Fantasy, and of course the legendary Contra code:

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

True that. If it were not for Nintendo the gaming industry wouldn't be what it is today. After Atari and Colecovision and other systems took a major dump, Nintendo came in with a stylish, made out of plastic external called the Nintendo Entertainment System. I loved Top Gun on that thing, too bad the license was over used in the future. Top Gun Combat Zones...blegh! <_< The Xbox is a computer, nice and cheap one too, but not a total PC.

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

I voted SNES. Great system, lot of great games, and lot of great memories (Zelda, Megaman X, Mario World, Mario Kart etc... I think many people can relate to this :)

NES and Gameboy would be #2 and #3. ;)

Special award for the Playstation because it set the standard for the "retarded>good" game ratio. :rolleyes:

Okay... this is from a hardcore console gamer who's owned just about everything is his lifetime... PS2. (Dreamcast would be a close second, just for Samba de Amigo...)

For those of you who picked the original NES or the SNES, I applaud you... they were excellent systems back in the day... but I'd also say that your memory is clouded by nostalgia. I've played both consoles recently, and there are very few games on the NES that are still fun. The SNES does a little bit better, except so many of it's best games have already been ported to the GBA. If you picked SNES, then, you might as well have picked GBA, because at least the GBA also has Megaman Zero and Castlevania.

Unless you're a Final Fantasy fan. Then you go with PS2, where you can now play 9 out of 10 Final Fantasies (Poor FFIII).

And yes, the crap to good ratio is high on the PS2. But that's true for ever console that's ever been made. If you doubt me on this, dust off your SNES, Genesis, or NES, again I say dust it off and play it. It's a truth in the industry that 80% of the sales go to 20% of the games.

Now, why the PS2, with it's weaker processor and ridiculously low ammount of RAM? Well, I haven't cared for Nintendo's first party games since the SNES, and I'm not a big Star Wars fan, either, so... yeah, there's a few Cube games that I enjoy, but not too many. And yes, while hardware sales for the Cube sales are on the rise, and PS2 sales on the decline, don't kid yourself and say it's because the Gamecube has better games now. It's because 52 million people in the world already own a PS2, to something like 10 million people with Gamecubes. This late in the PS2s life, most of the people that want one already have one, and now that the Cube's only $99.99, they're snagging it for a second system.

I think the Xbox is unfairly blackballed for being a Microsoft product, because I can honestly say that I've enjoyed it a lot more than the Cube. The problem with the Xbox, though, is that when I look at my library of Xbox games, most of them were also released on the PS2. So, if I didn't own an Xbox, I'm really only missing DoA 3 and Halo (and down the line, Ninja Gaiden).

Now as for the PS2, it plays all of your old PSX games, so right off the bat you've got the FF fans covered. But although I enjoyed them, I can't really call myself a fan, so I'd better give some other reasons for picking PS2. Okay, Ace Combat, Zone of the Enders, Onimusha, Time Crisis, and Gran Turismo. Not to mention that, as I said, if you don't have an Xbox or Cube, you can also enjoy all those other multi-platform titles.