Yamato 1/48 question

CdnShockwave

Just wondering what kind of durability the Yamato 1/48 scale figures have. I'm almost in a position to buy one but I just want to make sure that they don't break or fall apart. So, any complaints or anything I should know about before I pump $150 into one of these guys? The parts I'm most worried about are the hips. I don't want another VF-11B incident. So, how durable are these guys?

The 1/48s are quite durable, provided you don't get too rough with them during transformations. The main problem has been with the backpack hinges. Using too much force will break them pretty easily. Go ahead and get one (or many); you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!

You'll be one happy camper, the 1/48s are the top of the line. You have to be really careful with part BP8, especially with FAST Packs. I would recommend removing the FPs before transforming, or hand-supporting the backpack w/FPs during transformation. ;)

Edited by mechatek

:) i just got my first set of 1/48ths, since the new releases of the VF1s/1a/1j were more in my $ prange than some of the others out there. they look great. :D Are there any other areas of concern for breakage? Edited by Macross73

:) i just my first set of 1/48ths, since the new releases of the VF1s/1a/1j were more in my $range than some of the others. they look great.  :D  Are there any other areas of concern for breakage?

343216[/snapback]

Just get to know the parts and you'll have no problems with it breaking. The only part I've broken is the heatshield tab, but that was my fault. They're so strong that sometimes I strap them under my shoes and use them to roller skate...

thanks!! These look great and i couldn't stand having one marred b/c of my carelessness

i want the rest seeing how i missed out on them but patience is not one of my virtues.

Now my wallet cringes in fear hahahaha!!!!!! :blink:

The BP8 is probably the most flimsy part of the 1/48, but not so flimsy that one little flick will break it. It is certainly repairable.

There is also no need to push up the backpack all the way up.

The 1/48 Yamatos are collectible toys for adults and have a commensurate durability. Treat them with due respect and they should last a life time. Give them to a 5 year old and they won't make it through the hour, let alone the day.

If you're looking for bullet proof go with a chunky monkey.

All you need to know is that they are no Toynamis. Although they have little diecast (only the swing bar) and feel very light (without FAST packs) you get the sense that the money was worth it. You can handle the toy without feeling like stuff will fall off, or worry that certain limbs feel loose (I got some issues with Qrau and VB6 here) or anything will snap. (barring the backpack piece)

Really it is sturdy and is not as delicate as some might think.

My only issue is that I have a 3rd release Roy VF1S with a loose head turret in fighter mode. Grrr.. Did they intend to make this loose I wonder?

The good thing about the 1/48: unlike some 1/72 I am not afriad to transform them due to them being plastic. I am actually afriad to touch my 1/72 YF21 thanks to all the paint chipping off each time I scrape a part against another part in transformation. Same sort of deal with the transformers alternator/binaltech. I can see myself enjoying/playing/transforming/posing with the alternator more than a binaltech due to this. (ie lighter, no evidence of scratched paint, no fear of limbs getting loose due to weight etc)

Some parts I would look out for:

the backpack piece

perhaps the head lasers (be gentle with this and don't accidently snap them off)

that gunstrap (mine keep ripping apart :( )

the wings (no step!!! no step!!!! Put the stickers on immediately in case a 5 year old kid sees the wings and decides to step on them to see what happens :D jk)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I just got my first 1/48 a few days ago, and agree it is reasonably durable for a toy of such detail. The ABS plastic feels very tough.

One question I do have - does anyone have problem with the paint stripe at the top of the wing wearing off where it swings into the glove vane? I can see some of the plastic color already showing through. This is something that even bandai has resolved in their reissues, by recessiong the paint stripe.

Also i cant find the list of all the "released and rerelased 1/48" list that was put up awhile back Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Back on topic: These 1/48 arent heavy as others have stated and suprisingly solid when handled. i'm still babying it though at least till i can get more comfortable with it. :)

Alright, well, it looks like I'll go fullsteam ahead. I'm looking at the VF-1A brown "cannon fodder" since it's the cheapest. I'm going with that one as a test just to make sure I really like them before I start putting money into some more expensive guys. But by the looks of it I will not be disappointed. I'll probably have to sell my furniture, but that's ok! Thanks a lot guys!

yah..... i just got my 1st set of fast packs last week..... these things are pretty bad ass with them on.... they add a ton of weight and heft to the toy but look oh so pretty....

the only thing i dont like are the missle that keep falling off w/ the poor connection tabs...

All-in-all, they are well-made. As others have mentioned, that backpack hinge is the only truly problematic part to handle carefully. The only other thing I would add is the hip joints. Try not to be too rough with them. Sometimes the black material within the "ball joint" will sorta start poking out of the joint. . . and I actually cracked the hips/intakes themselves on my very first 1/48. But, that seems to have been a fluke.

I wouldn't let any of these "issues" hold me back from buying one (or many), however.

H

oh yea.. they can survive a good fall..

was in an argument with my gf once where she "accidentally" knocked my roy VF-1S ver. 1 in battroid off my desk.. fell a good 3 feet before landing hard on the ground.. i swear it was like slow motion when i tried to catch it.. miracle that nothing happened to it.. nothing broken.. phew.. still get jittery thinking about it.. we're still together tho.. its hard to break up with hot chicks..

but i'm sure there's far worse stories out there where the 1/48's have survived without a scratch..

Never ever let anyone else fiddle with your cannon fodder dude. You WILL regret it.

343286[/snapback]

Unless she's hot!

343287[/snapback]

Well then she HAD better be worth the $170 USD!

343451[/snapback]

Why $170 USD? I got mine for $140.

343644[/snapback]

I am in Australia remember.

• 6 months later...

durable. Hate when people say its a model and delicate. MY ASS!

Just watch out for BP8 and use common sense when messing with it.

All these people who say its like a model haven't handled it enough.

Hell your transformer alternators have a higher chance of breakin LONG before your 1/48 ever will.

It aint no bandai but it aint no weak plastic model niether. Its a damn toy.

The only comparisons it should have with model kits is its level of detail. And for those who say it dont compare to hasegawa, face it, us fans want damn toys and something more detailed than the chunky monkeys we grew up with.

So yes buy it and watchout for the backpack and itll be FUN!

Still consider myself a newbie 1/48 Yamato owner - but so far, they've been great to play around with and are pretty durable. Like others have said - the 1/55 Bandai's are way more sturdy - but the 1/48's are simply way, way, better! Both in detail, functionality, and appearance. Love 'em!!

:D:D:D

I had my Hikky 1A perched on my (then) CRT monitor in battroid mode about 4.5 feet high. Then one of my pesky cousins had to shake my monitor and it fell, hit my keyboard table, bounched off and hit the ground, splattering the missles just about everywhere. I was totally gonna kill my cousin (that was my 1st and only 1/48 at that time, a penniless student and I had just exchanged my precious YF-19 ver 2 for it) Thank God it survived the fall with ZERO damage.

Since then I've got a display case to keep all my valks in just to make sure I do not suffer a heart attack unnecessarily...erm..if it was ever necessary

So, they are pretty durable, though I would never wanna tempt fate again.... lol~!

Edited by BlueMax

Only my first 1/48(1A Hikaru) took a 5 feet dive from its display. It woke me up in the middle of the night. It was terrifing, the 1A had obsolutely no stress marks or any evidence of it falling. This is my first 1/48 issue ever, and it is still in perfect condition. It was in F mode when it hit the deck, and I think it absorbed the shock since when it hit the ground it became some sort of tranforming mess. Everything pretty much unclicked in the valk, but it took the fall like a man. :)

That leads me to believe they are a little more durable than I though. Just follow instructions and trully understand how to transform it, and it'll last you years.

I own 21 of these babies, and so far they are all fine. Of course not all of them are out of the box. Half of them are not displayed.

Edited by vlenhoff

Just wondering what kind of durability the Yamato 1/48 scale figures have. I'm almost in a position to buy one but I just want to make sure that they don't break or fall apart. So, any complaints or anything I should know about before I pump $150 into one of these guys? The parts I'm most worried about are the hips. I don't want another VF-11B incident. So, how durable are these guys?

343190[/snapback]

So CdnShockwave - what do you think? Did you like the 1/48 valk you got? Have you bought anymore since? It has been almost 7 months ... I would assume your now fully addicted, no?

:lol::lol::lol: