9/9/99

JB0

So yeah... Dreamcast... 6 years old in the US.

Great system, awesome games, totally under-rated, and lacking the dev-name of Katana.

Discuss.

327185[/snapback]

Yeah I forgot the Dreamcast launched on the same date (think it was a Thursday while the PS1 was a Saturday). Though I think it would have been more significant to celebrate if this was the 5th or 10th anniversary.

Great system with some great games. :)

Planning on playing some Virtua Tennis and Capcom vs. SNK once my friend comes over later.

The Dreamcast is horribly underrated and it's death marked the end of an era for video gaming, the last console with any "soul."

Hah, get it?

327201[/snapback]

SEGA was seriously wounded. But the soul still burns.

Yep it was the last true console, wanted to buy one on that day but I quicklly changed my mind and bought some PS games, was too busy with my PS playing so many RPG`s at that time.

When I look back now I wised I had one :( oh well, here`s my top DC games :

1) Tech Romancer (Kaikoh).

2) Street Fighter-III Double Impact (I hate 3rd Strike).

3) Soul Calibur.

4) Daytona USA.

5) Crazy Taxi-I.

6) Sonic Adventure, , the list goes on............

PS: The Dreamcast was a true arcade home console.

Edited by Black Valkyrie

Hmmmph, got mine before the US launch. When THOTD2 with light gun came out I just couldn't wait.

My 2nd one (Sakura Wars Limited Edition) is still in its pretty box...

So many more better import titles on it. WTH was Sega of America doing pumping out tons of sports titles that only end up sitting in the clearance bin for years...

If it didn't make all that ugly noise with disc access, I'd probably play it more.

4 players Power Stone 2 was fun... and DC Sakura Taisen(Wars) series still is the best Sega game in my heart.

327203[/snapback]

Sakura Taisen is the reason I own a Dreamcast (it's also the reason I own a Japanese PS2).

Soul Reaver, Powerstone... so many fun games.

It's been unhooked since I took it to animethon, I'll hook it back up tonight and play some ST1.

Aa Sakura Taisen 1 best game ever IMO.

I totaly hated the Dreamcast controler. The D-pad really bit into my thumb, my fingers would hurt from holding it after about an hour, and I was never too found of triggers, pain in the ass to use in fighting games.

Which is a shame really, it had some interesting games, but the controler kept me from playing very long.

If my joystick wasn't shot, I'd be playing Mars Matrix right  now.

Happy birthday, Dreamcast.

327191[/snapback]

That's why you always buy the second controller. Every console I've ever owned has two controllers. It's well worth it. Eventually, one controller will fail and you'll always have that second controller, which should probably last longer than the console itself :)

I totaly hated the Dreamcast controler. The D-pad really bit into my thumb, my fingers would hurt from holding it after about an hour, and I was never too found of triggers, pain in the ass to use in fighting games.

Which is a shame really, it had some interesting games, but the controler kept me from playing very long.

327242[/snapback]

That's why you can buy more than one kind of controller. The DC had some great arcade sticks available for it.

327242[/snapback]

That's why you can buy more than one kind of controller. The DC had some great arcade sticks available for it.

327248[/snapback]

I hate arcade sticks too...

Since my brother picked up his Dreamcast (and later left in my hands) after it was discontinued, finding anykind of PS controler adaptor was near impossible.

Edited by Druna Skass

It was a shame the DC died. Some of my most happy gaming moments were on this system. Anyone who owned one, and played the games would know that this had some of the best games while alive:

-Bangai O (millions of little missiles onscreen so reminds me of macross :D )

-ports of 2d arcade fighters like CVS1&2, MvC 1&2, SFA3, KOF etc

-shooters: mars matrix, ikaruga,

-3d fighters: Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Powerstone 1&2

-adventure: Shenmue

-platformers: Rayman 2, Sonic Adventure

-racers: Metrolis Street Racer, Lemans 24 hours, Outrun

-rpg: Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online

-Survival Horror: Resident evil CV

-Light Gun: HOTD

I won't bother going further as most people who owned one probably already know.. I consider the AAA software of the system and the diversity and quantity more important to me than any advantage the ps2 may have had on the DC in tech specs. (whether or not developers had maximised the system or not)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

There is truly a special place in my heart for my Dreamcast and its games - all of which I still have. I absolutely loved Phantasy Star Online, and I can hardly wait for Phantasy Star Universe. But Power Stone, though? That was the game which sold the system for me. I would get on my knees and beg for a new Power Stone game, perferably one which is online playable. But nooooooo, Capcom has to be complete slackers and not make it happen. Who the hell is in charge of maintaining their fighting games licenses nowadays? :angry:

I spent many a day playing Power Stone and Project Justice on the Dreamcast. It certainly died before it's time. Well, at least every gamer in the world learned their lesson about bowing to a company's hype machine before their system is actually out. Right?

Right guys?

Guys?

Hello?

I won't bother going further as most people who owned one probably already know.. I consider the AAA software of the system and the diversity and quantity more important to me than any advantage the ps2 may have had on the DC in tech specs. (whether or not developers had maximised the system or not)

327263[/snapback]

The funny thing about that is it took two or three years for the PS2 to finally catch up to the Dreamcast graphically. :lol:

I found the DC controller fit comfortably in my hand... sometimes I'd have trouble with the analouge stick but not often.

And you know in Japan you STILL see the odd DC game come out... Sega stopped supporting it but a few third parties kick out the odd game here and there... it's heartwarming.

Last offical Sega release was Sakura Taisen 4... I remember when we all thought that would be the last Sakura Taisen game too.

The Dreamcast was, far and away, the most under-appreciated console in history. I think the Turbo Grafix enjoyed more popularity. And the sad part? The Dreamcast was a really good system. It had some fun, original games, and as previously mentioned, it took the PS2 awhile before it had games that looked as good as games like Dead or Alive 2 and Soul Calibur. And while the controller was far from perfect, ideas like the shoulder triggers carried over and influenced the design of the Xbox controller.

Sadly, I think the fact that it launched a year before the PS2 really did hurt it. While games designed specifically for the DC were great, it got a lot of PSX and N64 ports. Those games, and the fact that they didn't really look any better on the DC, made people think of the DC as part of the PSX/N64 generation instead of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation. I'm actually worried that the Xbox 360, which is getting versions of Tony Hawk, Burnout Revenge, Need For Speed, Gun, and the Godfather (which are all going to be available on PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube as well), will suffer the same problem.

Well, it might be coming out on the rival console, but at least we're getting a Seaman sequel. Now if I could just get a new Samba de Amigo for the 360...

If my joystick wasn't shot, I'd be playing Mars Matrix right  now.

Happy birthday, Dreamcast.

327191[/snapback]

That's why you always buy the second controller. Every console I've ever owned has two controllers. It's well worth it. Eventually, one controller will fail and you'll always have that second controller, which should probably last longer than the console itself :)

327246[/snapback]

I have 2 controllers.

Just not of the same TYPE.

I can't play Mars Matrix with a gamepad. My performance goes straight down the crapper.

And my joystick was an HK knockoff, and has degraded to the point that the stick interferes with my reactions.

Resistance varies with direction, and what should be fine motions aren't because I can't tap the stick with just the right amount of force. I have to slam it.

That and the feel of the stick is throwing me off.

And WHOO! We're leading the PS1 by almost 3 to 1 in posts!

Edited by JB0

http://www.play-asia.com would be a good place to start. Guess there's no arguing the superiorty of the PS' d-pad.  ;)

327262[/snapback]

At least the PS's D pad doesn't grind up my thumb the way the Dreamcast's did. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was like the SNES's pad.

327291[/snapback]

And I would say that at least the DC's doesn't tear my thumb up like the PS' did.

I've always hated Sony's pads.

I don't mind at all saying that I still to this day despise the PS2 because of the fact that it was the death knell for the Dreamcast based solely on the hype. How stupid. If I could quantify the amount of "fun" I've had with the Dreamcast vs. the PS2, then the numbers would be so unbalanced in the Dreamcast's favor that it wouldn't even really be a competition.

Hell, the one and only reason I keep my PS2 around is for the Ace Combat games.