my toy smells funny

jenius

Hey folks, I did a quick search on "smells" but came up with nothing. I recently scored a toy with box and noticed upon opening it a slight odor. At first I was confused as to the odor but now I recognize it as the smell I have after a late night of boozing... stale cigarette smoke. It's very mild but it's there. The toy itself seems nearly unscathed but the box has one side that seemed to be closer to the ashtray than everything else. My questions:

1) Does anybody know a way of making plastic smell prettier (for the toy)?

2) Does anybody know a way to help take the stink out of cardboard?

I was pondering several ideas:

1) Febreeze. Maybe spray a little on a cloth and give the toy occasional rub downs.

2) Febreeze in a plastic tub. Put a cup of Febreeze in a sealed storage tub with the toy's box and maybe even give it a very light febreeze dusting.

3) Put the toy and the box next to a candle (not close). The problem with that is I run the real risk of having the toy and box smell like a candle.

In the meantime I have the toy airing out (i'll just have to remember to dust it occasionally).

You win the funniest thread title of the week award.

I'd say just let it air out. The smell might fade after a while. I'm wary putting any chemicals on toys.

haha, he's not crazy. I once bought a 1/6 predator figure off ebay and it smelt like I did the day after a big night out on the town. :D He must have come from a heavy smoking household.

He's been sitting in a box for a long time, I'll go home and... smell.. him :D:lol: tonight and see if he still stinks. That way you'll know if your toy will air out over time.

I hope my wife doesn't witness this shameful display. :ph34r:

Ozone. My brother cleans apartments after they are vacated, and he has an ozone machine that gets rid of cigarette smell. Good luck getting some ozone, but if you do, that should do the trick.

P.S. You can't breathe ozone (O3), so make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

just hot box the box so it smells like weed rather than cigs :rolleyes:

how about throwing a desicant pack in the box? The little packet labeled "do not eat" that comes with most electronics. Keeps moisture away and does a pretty good job soaking up odors if given time. At the least it won't hurt anything.

My questions:

1) Does anybody know a way of making plastic smell prettier (for the toy)?

2) Does anybody know a way to help take the stink out of cardboard?

326681[/snapback]

Hiyah! Try placing the figure and packaging separately in a roomy box. Add holes on all sides of the box. Then sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the box..add something on the bottom of the figure so that it doesn't touch the baking soda.

Place 'em outside for a week and let the baking soda kill the smell and have the natural breeze suck up the smoke smell. Make sure to cover the box to block off sunlight.

Hmm...I don't know if this will work...but you can try.

If all fails, use disinfecting wipes on the toy, and wrap the packing in newsprint with rat poison marbles to suck up the smell...er, like the "do not eat" package that Katana mentioned above.

I got "that" wanna come by and try it out....might go away smelling like a little two colored animal that sounds like "trunk"... red eye!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah just try to air it out..maybe burn some good incense next to box, but keep smoke away from the toy might yellow from the smoke...

hahhh i have hippy remedies weed and incence.... :lol:

Edited by orguss01

Try baking soda. It absorbs odors really well, comes in handy "Freezer Packs" made for just such a purpose, and it shouldn't hurt the toy or box since it's not actually making any contact with them. For maximum effect, seal the toy and the baking soda inside a cardboard box or, preferably, a big Tupperware container. After a couple of days, the odor should be gone.

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!

I had the same problem, E-Bayed a record that came from the home of a person that must have chain smoked in his sleep. Anyhow, set the item in front of a fan for a few days, just airing it out helps alot. Over time it will fade, putting a fan on it for a few hours should make a significant difference.

Good luck getting that nasty funk off your new stuff :)

I got "that" wanna come by and try it out....might go away smelling like a little two colored animal that sounds like "trunk"... red eye!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah just try to air it out..maybe burn some good incense next to box, but keep smoke away from the toy might yellow from the smoke...

hahhh i have hippy remedies weed and incence.... :lol:

326791[/snapback]

pretty long drive to cali... especially stoned :rolleyes: . At least I'm not a hippie... I bath and have a job :lol::lol:

how about a couple slices of orange rind to mask the odor? Febreeze AND dessicant? foot powder?