I say HALO, you say goodbye!

I actually thought that HALO had the best story out of all the new crop of FPS games... albeit the story is quite dumbed down and simplified in spots but overall the elements of the first HALO game's story and the story progression lend themselves very well to a movie.

I must admit that while I found HALO 1 on the PC to be slow, repetitious and tepid compared to other PC FPS games the story was certainly the highlight.

Final execution of the movie on the other hand is another story.

It won't be the true HALO experience unless they have eight Master Chief's running around screaming derogatory racial and sexual epithets.

322597[/snapback]

HAHAHA!

Well seeing as Halo isn't exactly story oriented on the level of Final Fantasy or Xenogears, we're just going to watch our good Master Chief running around with a bunch of marines shooting stuff.

Why watch when I can control him...?

322605[/snapback]

Because the Super Mario movie was AWESOME!

Wait, that was Resident Evil...

Or was it Tomb Raider?

Mortal Kombat?

Street Fighter?

Wing Commander?

Aw, hell... you'll watch it because you're a gullible sucker. :p

Edited by JB0

I actually thought that HALO had the best story out of all the new crop of FPS games... albeit the story is quite dumbed down and simplified in spots but overall the elements of the first HALO game's story and the story progression lend themselves very well to a movie.

322607[/snapback]

I like Killzone's story more, kind of like a futuristic version WWII. Halo is like a FPS version of Starcraft.

Earth = Terrans

Covenant = Protoss

Flood = Zerg

Forerunners = Xel Naga

It won't be the true HALO experience unless they have eight Master Chief's running around screaming derogatory racial and sexual epithets.

322597[/snapback]

That and lots of ramps and repeating architecture. I imagine several scenes in the movie: "Weren't we just in this room?". :p

ahhh, desperation is a smelly cologne. Hollywood is reaching out... DESPERATELY looking for their next hit... willing to leave no franchise unraped in their quest to pwn your wallet. And the sad thing is, fanboys world wide will camp out for hours (if not days) complete in their ghey@$$ masterchief gear just to see this, only to turn around and hate on it to no end in their little fanboy websites.

And here I was thinking Hollywood had reached the end of their rope doing a "Doom" movie (with the Rock no less? I mean, c'mon! How about someone, I dunno, GOOD?)

Edited by Skull Leader

ahhh, desperation is a smelly cologne. Hollywood is reaching out... DESPERATELY looking for their next hit... willing to leave no franchise unraped in their quest to pwn your wallet. And the sad thing is, fanboys world wide will camp out for hours (if not days) complete in their ghey@$$ masterchief gear just to see this, only to turn around and hate on it to no end in their little fanboy websites.

And here I was thinking Hollywood had reached the end of their rope doing a "Doom" movie (with the Rock no less? I mean, c'mon! How about someone, I dunno, GOOD?)

322636[/snapback]

And as long as people continue to spend their money watching the sh!t they produced (people who paid to see Stealth, I'm looking at you...) they will continue to produce nothing but crap. Crapywood produces more crap than my bunghole does after eating some really bad Mexican, followed by an exlax brownie.

The most interesting thing about this Movie, is how the adaption was handled-- quite differently from the typical video games license. Read more:

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?s...rney1&p=4542384

322669[/snapback]

Well, that is some good news to those fans of the games if they indeed do keep it as true to the original source as possible. Obviously these guys want to get it right. Now, if it were only true of Majesco and their BloodRayne franchise...

The most interesting thing about this Movie, is how the adaption was handled-- quite differently from the typical video games license. Read more:

322669[/snapback]

I'm still skeptical.

And I really have every right to be considering that just about every video game based movie was mediocre at best.

322669[/snapback]

I'm still skeptical.

And I really have every right to be considering that just about every video game based movie was mediocre at best.

322686[/snapback]

What he said.

Hopefully it's good, but knowing Hollywood.

"fool me once..."

-b.

Hmmm, this news is quite old, but certainly worthy of conversation.

My opinion, the Halo movie is, for once, a videogame film production that's starting off on the right foot. First and foremost, they didn't run to Hollywood and make a deal with the first group of concept-vampires they ran into. You know who I mean, the fellas that are currently scouring the planet and all manner of media to suck out any concept from foreign film, literature, music, whatever, to be used as mediocre film to fill all upcoming fiscal year release dates.

The game creators - most importantly, the writer - have maintained creative input and even managed to attract a scripwriter with whom they see eye to eye. This is very good news.

The producer is an unknown to me, being fairly new as far as I can tell. But he's got a better chance producing something good than someone we know sucks.

The key ingredient will be the director. This is the big test for the Bungie staff. They've done everything against the grain and stuck to their interests with the Halo film so far, but they have to get the director right. Of the bigger names, I could see Soderbergh, Cronenberg, Nolan, Singer, Frears, and a few others being able to properly pull it off. Looking at someone relatively new, I'd say Vaughn, Aronofsky, Kelly, or Amenabar.

The great thing about Halo was the weirdness and surreality of the whole setting. I'd like to see a director who can really capture mood and has at least some experience with special effects. I REALLY would not like to see Scott, Cameron, or any other old school director handle something like this. Halo has a lot of homages to old school science fiction, something in which an older director of the genre could easily fall prey to convention and cliche. Aliens is already the best sci-fi action movie in the same genre as Halo...last thing we need is a re-run.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope that the choice of directors goes well.

Frankly even with the amount of input they wanted, and seemingly got, they'll saddly realize they are not in control of anything. They may have the naysay on somethings, but they'll lose if the exe want changes made. The fact that they brought in a writer, when they said that they already had a script written(or at least a majority of one), tells me they've already lost 90% of their creative control and have minimal input.

I'm expecting another LoTR fanboy revolt and bashing at early release info and imagery. The best of for a Halo movie is that it doesn't get made.

Hmmm, this news is quite old, but certainly worthy of conversation.

My opinion, the Halo movie is, for once, a videogame film production that's starting off on the right foot.  First and foremost, they didn't run to Hollywood and make a deal with the first group of concept-vampires they ran into.  You know who I mean, the fellas that are currently scouring the planet and all manner of media to suck out any concept from foreign film, literature, music, whatever, to be used as mediocre film to fill all upcoming fiscal year release dates.

The game creators - most importantly, the writer - have maintained creative input and even managed to attract a scripwriter with whom they see eye to eye.  This is very good news.

The producer is an unknown to me, being fairly new as far as I can tell.  But he's got a better chance producing something good than someone we know sucks.

The key ingredient will be the director.  This is the big test for the Bungie staff.  They've done everything against the grain and stuck to their interests with the Halo film so far, but they have to get the director right.  Of the bigger names, I could see Soderbergh, Cronenberg, Nolan, Singer, Frears, and a few others being able to properly pull it off.  Looking at someone relatively new, I'd say Vaughn, Aronofsky, Kelly, or Amenabar.

The great thing about Halo was the weirdness and surreality of the whole setting.  I'd like to see a director who can really capture mood and has at least some experience with special effects.  I REALLY would not like to see Scott, Cameron, or any other old school director handle something like this.  Halo has a lot of homages to old school science fiction, something in which an older director of the genre could easily fall prey to convention and cliche.  Aliens is already the best sci-fi action movie in the same genre as Halo...last thing we need is a re-run.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope that the choice of directors goes well.

322721[/snapback]

I am in the same boat as you. I think Microsoft is trying not to follow the dooming tread of video games to movies. But then again, MS could still screw this movie up.

Making a big budget film is an uphill battle no matter what you got. Even if the Bungie staff gets the writer they want, the producer they want, the director they want, the actors they want, the creative control they want, and every production dream they have comes to pass, there is no guarantee of a quality film.

Besides, I'm putting a lot of faith in Staten and Co. Writing an interesting video game is one thing, writing a successful screenplay is another. I don't care how many similarities visual storytelling mediums like video games and film may have, Garland better make sure he's thinking "film" when he writes this script.

But I digress, so far the process is favorable. I can only hope a big Halo fan like myself will be treated to a worthy film adaptation.

well it can't be too hard a transition. As it is, Kojima's Metal Gear Games have become almost movies. by and large, they've been pretty good.

322926[/snapback]

I would consider come entries in the Metal Gear series to be superior to most of what Hollywood turns out, and Konami deserves a lot of praise for maintaining the level of quality that they have.

well it can't be too hard a transition. As it is, Kojima's Metal Gear Games have become almost movies. by and large, they've been pretty good.

322926[/snapback]

Yeah but Metal Gear and Halo hardly have anything in common. MGS is very story oriented and Halo is kill stuff oriented. Metal Gear is more like an interactive novel.

Everybody keeps saying Halo has no story. Did anybody read the novels? Although the first game didn't have that much story, if you read the first and second novel, it becomes much more enjoyable. Tthe second game had a pretty decent story too. The novels atleast enhance the story of the games. Much like in the first game, in the opening cut scene they talk about a blind jump from Reach. Ordinarily, you wouldn't understand what they were talking about. But, if you read the novels, it makes sense.

There are games out there with better story, but the Halo franchise isn't that bad. There are other games with no real story at all *cough*Doom*cough* (Hell, Mario has more plot depth than Doom...).

I hope this movie is good. I am so sick of rolling my eyes everytime I hear "video game movie". I'd like to be excited about one for once. To make matters worse I am a Halo fanboy, so I really don't want it to suck.

LMAO :lol::lol: Halo: Pwning of the Noobs.

The sad part about it though, it's so true...

BTW, I heard Kojima-san was working on a MGS movie. He's rumored to be directing, but I don't know. Either way, I'm pretty sure there making one.

Edited by VT 1010

Much like in the first game, in the opening cut scene they talk about a blind jump from Reach.  Ordinarily, you wouldn't understand what they were talking about.  But, if you read the novels, it makes sense. 

Or if you would have read the two paragraphs in the booklet on the backstory. The HALO booklet for the first game actually contains more backstory than the game itself.

While HALO does have one of the better stories out there as far as FPS games go (as I said originally) It's story is still cut and paste generic sci-fi filler material. I actually went back and replayed the first few levels of HALO PC last night just to remember why I didn't like the game but liked the story and I found that 90% of the game's story is designed so it gives the player reason to have something new to shoot at or some new simple puzzle to solve. The rest of the story is incidental material, all very generic in the sci fi world. What makes HALO so fun for people I think is that it is a game, an interactive experience, rather than a noninteractive movie. Turn HALO into a movie and it will be so-so at best given it's current plotline.

I should probably rework my original post to say that the premise of HALO is what would make a good movie... the actual plot would need a good deal of tooling to make it entertaining outside of a game environment. Game plots are almost always lame because half of the story is made by the player as the game plays out... in a movie you just sit there and watch.

Once again though Half Life's story is more or less a string of "set-ups" for the player to finish. Much like HALO, Half Life has an outstanding premise but when it comes to actual nuts and bolts story it is nothing more than a chain of shooting and simple puzzle solving elements strung together with a basic cliched story arc that supports the situations they want to throw the player into. Inside of the game the story is compelling and interesting because as the player you are living the story, affecting it's outcome... but remove the interactivity from the story and it becomes just another run of the mill sci-fi piece rife with cliche and overused plot devices.

i think for a FPS, Half-Life had a hell of a lot of story.

323012[/snapback]

I don't know about that. I was mulling this over after I finished HL2 last fall, and it dawned on me that there's actually very little story so far. Gordon sees and experiences a bunch of weird things, but there's little or no explanation for any of it. In game terms, I'm hoping this is finally adressed in the next installment, but for a movie it would just be a bunch of incoherent babble with no context. It would be the Lost Highway of video game movies.

Then again, even that is bound to be better than Uwe Boll's Far Cry will be.

Once again though Half Life's story is more or less a string of "set-ups" for the player to finish. Much like HALO, Half Life has an outstanding premise but when it comes to actual nuts and bolts story it is nothing more than a chain of shooting and simple puzzle solving elements strung together with a basic cliched story arc that supports the situations they want to throw the player into. Inside of the game the story is compelling and interesting because as the player you are living the story, affecting it's outcome... but remove the interactivity from the story and it becomes just another run of the mill sci-fi piece rife with cliche and overused plot devices.

323017[/snapback]

Which is why you rarely see "faithful" video game movies.

A faithful Legend of Zelda movie would go something like this...

A young man dressed in green steps into a cave. We grant the cinematographers license to extend the cave transition, so we can see him walking through the cave as the opening credits roll, feeling his way along the rough cave walls with a dim torch to guide him. As the credits finish, he comes to the end of the tunnel, which opens into a large room. An elderly person hands the young man a sword, says "take this. It will help you on your way." and the Zelda logo comes on screen.

Followed by 2 hours of meaningless hack&slash.

I know jack about Halo, I've only heard of the name. :p:lol:

As far as videogames ported to the big screen goes. My vote for best ever would be the minute or two from City Hunter with Jackie Chan, where he becomes a bunch of Street Fighter 2 characters and battles this other guy that became Ken. Okay, Jackie Chan as Chun Li ranks high on the disturb-o-meter, but it was way more faithful to the Capcom fighting game than the official versioin with van Damme. :p

The videogames turned movie I'm looking forward to see trailers for to see how they might turn out: Silent Hill.

Videogames turned movie that I fear to be a crapfest: Dead or Alive, Tekken, and Doom.

If Halo is a movie based on a kill-fest game, I'm interested. :D:lol:

While HALO does have one of the better stories out there as far as FPS games go (as I said originally) It's story is still cut and paste generic sci-fi filler material. I actually went back and replayed the first few levels of HALO PC last night just to remember why I didn't like the game but liked the story and I found that 90% of the game's story is designed so it gives the player reason to have something new to shoot at or some new simple puzzle to solve. The rest of the story is incidental material, all very generic in the sci fi world. What makes HALO so fun for people I think is that it is a game, an interactive experience, rather than a noninteractive movie. Turn HALO into a movie and it will be so-so at best given it's current plotline.

That's what these Crappywood crackheads can't seem to grasp. The appeal of games is that it's interactive, the viewer is involved, not just sitting there in a vegitative state with their brain turned off. Halo isn't even all that original, gameplay-wise it's more like an excellent execution of a FPS, storyline wise, well the whole time I was thinking "these guys have definatly played StarCraft."