I say HALO, you say goodbye!

Halo isn't even all that original, gameplay-wise it's more like an excellent execution of a FPS, storyline wise, well the whole time I was thinking "these guys have definatly played StarCraft."

323130[/snapback]

Funny, when I was playing StarCraft I kept thinking "these guys have definately played Warhammer 40,000." ;)

Halo isn't even all that original, gameplay-wise it's more like an excellent execution of a FPS, storyline wise, well the whole time I was thinking "these guys have definatly played StarCraft."

323130[/snapback]

Funny, when I was playing StarCraft I kept thinking "these guys have definately played Warhammer 40,000." ;)

323133[/snapback]

When I was playing Battlezone PC, I was thinking "These guys are actively trying to rip Starcraft off. But this is a lot more fun."

This is precisely my point. In film, story and character take priority (or at least, they should). In video games, the definition of a good story and characters translates to a rich backdrop and well defined, self-consistant universe. Being primarily an interactive medium, a video game will obviously need to stick to fairly linear, single choice narratives in order to progress the story. Film can go in a much more fluid fashion and take a greater number of directions within the constraints of the structure used.

Having said that, the thing that makes games like Half-Life, Halo, and Starcraft such vibrant titles to many players claiming strong "story" is not the story itself, but the richly developed universe and setting that immerses the player in the game world. This facet of a strong video game is what would be highly coveted by a filmmaker wishing to create a film with similar themes. This is why Doom felt so much like Aliens or Half-Life felt so much like The X-Files. These themes and well-developed worlds translate easily from one medium to the other. It's no surprise to see filmmakers and game programmers embracing these aspects of other mediums to build successful products in their native medium.

The story and execution is what so often fails in the hands of weak filmmakers and writers.

• 2 months later...

Latino Review managed to get a hold of the Halo script. You can check out the detailed review here:

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreviews/halo/review.html

To me, it sounds like it's going to be an adaptation of the second Halo novel. At least the novel was good. However, I'm a little upset that there is NO mention of Sgt. Johnson. :(

Even though this movie looks like it's getting better and better, I don't think it's going to change other video game movies (BTW, Splinter Cell will kick ass). Just because Halo might be good, doesn't mean everybody else is going to start making good video game movies. It just going to mean that more video game movies will made. If anything, they will get worse. Studios will see how Halo did well and try to capitalize off the video game movie hype. Just watch and see... ;)

Latino Review managed to get a hold of the Halo script.  You can check out the detailed review here:

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreviews/halo/review.html

To me, it sounds like it's going to be an adaptation of the second Halo novel.  At least the novel was good.  However, I'm a little upset that there is NO mention of Sgt. Johnson.  :(

Even though this movie looks like it's getting better and better, I don't think it's going to change other video game movies (BTW, Splinter Cell will kick ass).  Just because Halo might be good, doesn't mean everybody else is going to start making good video game movies.  It just going to mean that more video game movies will made.  If anything, they will get worse.  Studios will see how Halo did well and try to capitalize off the video game movie hype.  Just watch and see... ;)

343536[/snapback]

I agree. I would like to see Sgt. Johnson. It would be good to see him. I think Samuel L would be a great actor to fill in that role!