First time 1/48 buyer

danth

I've been putting off buying a 1/48 but they are just too beautiful. I need to get one while I have the chance.

My plan is to get the CF from HLJ when it comes out, and also the Fast Pack set. If I like that one enough, and I have the money, I'll get the GBP set too.

Is there anything I should know before I do this? Like better places to buy from, or cooler versions of the VF coming out later, or fragile areas on the 1/48 I should be careful with?

Thanks!

If you live in the USA, you can trust valkyrie-exchange and twinmoons, in Asia toy-wave, neova and samuraim are helpful :lol:

But I warn you and I will not be the lonely one, you might become Yamato Valkholic :p

I forgot Blackace. Sorry Noel ;) . You can have a look on tha Macross dealers annoucements topic. :)

I've been putting off buying a 1/48 but they are just too beautiful. I need to get one while I have the chance.

My plan is to get the CF from HLJ when it comes out, and also the Fast Pack set. If I like that one enough, and I have the money, I'll get the GBP set too.

Is there anything I should know before I do this? Like better places to buy from, or cooler versions of the VF coming out later, or fragile areas on the 1/48 I should be careful with?

Thanks!

318713[/snapback]

VF-0S has covered where to buy pretty well. As for "cooler ones" coming out later, well, that's personal preference. But the Roy VF-1S (yellow stripe) is coming out (yet again) in a month or two (September, I believe, is the latest estimate). So, if you'd rather have a Roy than a CF, you might want to wait.

The only truly delicate part on the 1/48 that is often broken is the backpack hinge. Also known as the BP8 (part designation). Once you know about this, however, it's pretty difficult to break as long as you always support it while you're mounting FAST Packs and don't try to over-extend the joint. A lot of people used to try to extend/compress it as far as the 1/60 backup hinge. . . and that's a big mistake as the 1/48 backpack isn't "double-jointed" like the 1/60 and also doesn't "ride" as high in battroid mode.

I'd also recommend not putting a lot of stress on the intakes/hip area. My original VF-1A Hikaru has some hairline cracks where the metal swing bar pegs enter into the hips/intakes. So, that might be considered a weak point as well. But I've been careful with my others and haven't seen the problem recur.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

H

I've been looking for a Max J, anyone know of a good place to find one?  I got a Milia en route and the Max is the last one I need to get :(

318920[/snapback]

http://www.toysnjoys.com/macross_figuresyamato.html this is a link to the only online store i trust that has any left. looks a bit steep in price. but its a start i suppose.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Sounds like you're planning on just buying 1 or 2 of these things. If that is the case, I'd definitely recommend getting the 'Fodder with packs, and then maybe one of the M & M's or the 'Low Viz. As expensive as these things are, it would be better to pick up one of the aforementioned "limited edition" variants, as opposed to the other "mainstream" Valkyries such as the DYRL models for example...

Go for the unique!

If you are only going to get one, get one thats exclusive to Macross, IE a DYRL paint scheme.  You don't want your friends to think you are a Robotech fan.

319017[/snapback]

Other than Roy's the DYRL schemes are boring.

Go with the M&M or the Low Vis. They are striking!

If you are only going to get one, get one thats exclusive to Macross, IE a DYRL paint scheme.  You don't want your friends to think you are a Robotech fan.

319017[/snapback]

Try to get the low viz I feel its the best one

319017[/snapback]

Other than Roy's the DYRL schemes are boring.

Go with the M&M or the Low Vis. They are striking!

319026[/snapback]

M&M!?? Bright blue and bright red, great colors for fighter planes... At an airshow. The Low Vis IS beautiful though.

I've been looking for a Max J, anyone know of a good place to find one?  I got a Milia en route and the Max is the last one I need to get :(

318920[/snapback]

http://www.toysnjoys.com/macross_figuresyamato.html this is a link to the only online store i trust that has any left. looks a bit steep in price. but its a start i suppose.

318923[/snapback]

A bit steep? How about a whole hell a lot. Damn. $250 for a max VF-1A?

M&M!??  Bright blue and bright red, great colors for fighter planes... At an airshow.  The Low Vis IS beautiful though.

319032[/snapback]

I like Blue. My favorite color and Max my favorite character... Besides, the bad guys would be just as afraid of his blue paint as the black tulip of Erich Hartmann was to some of the Ruskies. :)

The Low Vis is absolutely awesome. Hard to find but worth it.

Edited by Skull-1

I would get either the max or the milia super vf1j. The max bright blue and low vis were my first valks. The super max is great if you want a super valk instead of a naked valk. Not just that but the good TV "clown hands" are also included.

What will happen though is, you will see the beauty of other valks and want them too. I'm tempted to get a milia to match with max. Their paint is striking and distinct just like in the show, and it's this striking color that makes them stand out in a crowd of boring CF who have to meld with the rest of the crap pilots because they get blown away too easily and having them stand out can only make it worse.

I think somebody should make a robotech custom yamato 1/48 with Jack Archer head. I wonder if this would sell for lots on ebay if robotech fans were told it was a limited edition with only 1 made? :D

Wow, I can't believe that I got so many replies!

Anyway, the schemes I really like are Milia's, the CF, and Hikaru's 1J. To be honest, I'm sick of the boring DYRL colors. And of course the Low-Viz iz cool, but it's not from the animation.

I don't really see myself getting any of the previously released valks because they're just too expensive now. Of course, if anyone knows where I could get a Cheap Milia or Hikaru...yeah, right.

Oh yeah, Agent One: I AM a fan of Robotech. It's what got me into Macross.

Oh yeah, Agent One: I AM a fan of Robotech. It's what got me into Macross

Tell him you also LOVE Macross7.... it's always a hoot to see his reaction to that.

As far as cheap goes, I've been diggin' for 1/48s lately (as you can see from my earlier post). My guess at going prices for non DYRL ones (I'm with you, I only collect all things SDF TV (except elints, ostriches, and LVs)):

1) VF-1J Hik Regular $150 - $175 shipped

2) VF-1J Super Hik or Milia $190-$220 shipped

3) VF-1J Super Max $215-240 shipped (DAMN IT, I DON'T WANNA PAY MORE THAN $200!!!)

4) VF-1A CF and VF-1S Fokker $135 - $160 shipped

I have found one place selling the Max super 1J for $196 shipped but when I emailed about whether or not they had it actually "in-stock" they said "we're expecting more in September." I hate the sound of that since I know they're not making more of 'em right now so where are they "expecting" them from???

Oh if you want one that kinda blends with both tv series (robotech) and movie(DYRL), get the Roy VF1S plus a fast pack strike parts set.

You'll get DYRL pilot in DYRL space suit, a 1S head turret with wrap around visor, and white skull on black background on the heatshield which is distinct. Now people who accuse you as a robotech sympathiser they also have to admit you love DYRL. The plane looks similar in both movie and series so you get people who like either one recognising the valk.

Having the strike parts will make robotech fans jealous, while keeping the look of the tv series roy will also make the robotech people happy. At the same time as the plane looking as it should from DYRL. Best of both worlds.

Maybe yamato should make a tv series 1/48 vf1s with Roy's flight suit with super pack and bubble hands like they did with max and milia? I would buy it if it looked distinct. (say a more greyish tone to the dyrl roy) I want to see two pilots: 1 for hikaru after roy dies and he becomes skull leader, and one for roy before the use of fast packs and super valkyries. You would have a valk from the series that was started right from the beginning of the series when roy first appears, to one that got upgraded to the end of the series with the fast pack. Having both tv flightsuit pilots would make it easier for fans if they preffered a 1s hikaru or 1s roy in either: vf1s at beginning of the series, or the vf1s at the end.(but still be the same plane) I like the dark grey with black colors of the tv series flight suit.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Wow, I can't believe that I got so many replies!

Anyway, the schemes I really like are Milia's, the CF, and Hikaru's 1J. To be honest, I'm sick of the boring DYRL colors. And of course the Low-Viz iz cool, but it's not from the animation.

I don't really see myself getting any of the previously released valks because they're just too expensive now. Of course, if anyone knows where I could get a Cheap Milia or Hikaru...yeah, right.

Oh yeah, Agent One: I AM a fan of Robotech. It's what got me into Macross.

319239[/snapback]

So you have seen Robotech, but have you seen SDFM? How about DYRL? Most people I know quit being Robotech fans when they watch the original tv show, then the movie.

Oh if you want one that kinda blends with both tv series (robotech) and movie(DYRL), get the Roy VF1S plus a fast pack strike parts set.

You'll get DYRL pilot in DYRL space suit, a 1S head turret with wrap around visor, and white skull on black background on the heatshield which is distinct. Now people who accuse you as a robotech sympathiser they also have to admit you love DYRL.  The plane looks similar in both movie and series so you get people who like either one recognising the valk.

Having the strike parts will make robotech fans jealous, while keeping the look of the tv series roy will also make the robotech people happy. At the same time as the plane looking as it should from DYRL. Best of both worlds.

Maybe yamato should make a tv series 1/48 vf1s with Roy's flight suit with super pack and bubble hands like they did with max and milia? I would buy it if it looked distinct. (say a more greyish tone to the dyrl roy) I want to see two pilots: 1 for hikaru after roy dies and he becomes skull leader, and one for roy before the use of fast packs and super valkyries. You would have a valk from the series that was started right from the beginning of the series when roy first appears, to one that got upgraded to the end of the series with the fast pack.  Having both tv flightsuit pilots would make it easier for fans if they preffered a 1s hikaru or 1s roy in either: vf1s at beginning of the series, or the vf1s at the end.(but still be the same plane) I like the dark grey with black colors of the tv series flight suit.

319243[/snapback]

I like the TV series more than the movie. I also wish they would focus more on making the valks more universal so we can modify them to look like the TV series.

What do you guys think are the chances of them re-issuing Max and Millia again? I want to pick those up at a reasonable price.

What do you guys think are the chances of them re-issuing Max and Millia again? I want to pick those up at a reasonable price

Milia can still be found for a reasonable price. It's a super Valk and the going price for those was always a bit steep (but worth it). I think I'm just going to bite the bullet on the Max pretty soon here... I'm buying display cases and I hate leaving gaps where toys should be just because I'm looking for the perfect deal...

So you have seen Robotech, but have you seen SDFM?  How about DYRL?  Most people I know quit being Robotech fans when they watch the original tv show, then the movie.

319396[/snapback]

I don't see a problem with being a Robotech fan and a Macross fan. I'd love to see the subbed Macross series, but I doubt seeing it would make me hate what is really just a demonized dub.

If anyone wants to mail me the subbed DVDs, we can make it an experiment... ;)

I don't see a problem with being a Robotech fan and a Macross fan. I'd love to see the  subbed Macross series, but I doubt seeing it would make me hate what is really just a demonized dub.

319574[/snapback]

Well, without turning this into an RT vs Macross thread, let me just say briefly that I think a lot of people find Macross to be better because it's not nearly as kiddified. I would have cringed throughout showing my girlfriend Robotech because of all the over-narration, campy/cramped dialogue, and other cheeziness. Whereas, showing her Macross, there was no cringing at all except for when the artwork was terrible (Darn you Animefriend!)

Danth, I'd be willing to lend you my Animeigos if you wanted to take a look. Let me know.

H

I don't see a problem with being a Robotech fan and a Macross fan. I'd love to see the  subbed Macross series, but I doubt seeing it would make me hate what is really just a demonized dub.

319574[/snapback]

Well, without turning this into an RT vs Macross thread, let me just say briefly that I think a lot of people find Macross to be better because it's not nearly as kiddified. I would have cringed throughout showing my girlfriend Robotech because of all the over-narration, campy/cramped dialogue, and other cheeziness. Whereas, showing her Macross, there was no cringing at all except for when the artwork was terrible (Darn you Animefriend!)

Danth, I'd be willing to lend you my Animeigos if you wanted to take a look. Let me know.

H

319584[/snapback]

Just to chime in here with my $0.02, I would strongly recommend watching the entire series of Robotech and not just stopping with the Macross-derived episodes. Comparing that to the original is useless. The redeeming quality of Robotech is the complete story built out of the 3 series. Series for series it falls way short, but as a whole it was amazingly ambitious.

It's certainly a childrens show, but I can't knock it. I was watching bastardized anime on American TV since I was a toddler, and it was the first show that brought to my attention that it was based off of original shows from Japan. Because of that I became interested enough to learn the language, make lots of friends from the other side of the Pacific and be introduced to an amazing culture, and eventually see so many wonderful non-bastardized anime shows.

I did get the first few of the Remastered DVDs last year, mostly for nostalgia and they were on sale at Best Buy, but really enjoyed them. Still not as good as "real" Macross, but I'm glad I bought them. I'll probably try to get the whole series if they keep printing them, but there's certainly no need to rush out and buy them.

Now, to get back on topic, I've been wanting to get my first 1/48 as well, and have been holding out for a reissue of Roy. Now that it looks like that is going to happen I'm waiting to get moved and place an order with one of our friendly Macross World merchants. I've noticed some apparent dissatisfaction with Roy compared to some of the other valks. Is this just a character preference, or is there a quality issue with this particular model?

Anything else us first time buyers should aware of, or does it just boil down to preferences for a character or a particular color scheme?

And I see I misinterpreted Danth's post. You've seen RT but not SDFM or DYRL. That cannot be allowed! :) Personally I prefer the TV series, but all the sequels are obviously based on DYRL. Since you've sort of seen the tv show I'd start with DYRL. Decent fan subs are easily found on the internet. But if someone can eaasily let you borrow the subtitled series DVDs do not pass that chance up.

Edited by Witchblade

character preference, or is there a quality issue with this particular model?

There have been complaints about the Roys having crooked jolly rogers on the fins and the first issues of all the 1/48s had nosecones and wing flap problems with falling off. Beyond that it's all just preference and I wouldn't worry about the next reissue having flaws... they darn well better have it right by now.

Now, to get back on topic, I've been wanting to get my first 1/48 as well, and have been holding out for a reissue of Roy. Now that it looks like that is going to happen I'm waiting to get moved and place an order with one of our friendly Macross World merchants. I've noticed some apparent dissatisfaction with Roy compared to some of the other valks. Is this just a character preference, or is there a quality issue with this particular model?

Acutally Roy is the most popular issue, thats why it's getting issued a 4th time. The first issue Roy was the worse as jenius mention. 2nd Issue was the best so far. No problems. 3rd Issue the crooked skull kinda came back. It's not very noticeable unless you compare it to a straight one. The other problem but not only related to the Roys only is the crooked pilot seat. It seem to have started from the Max 1J. My Max has the worse crooked seat. My 3 3rd Issue Roy all have them too but are only slightly off. Cross finger and hope the 4th Issue will come out perfect.

the first issues of all the 1/48s had nosecones and wing flap problems with falling off. 

319613[/snapback]

Ah, that's a good thing to know. Thanks.

(PS to Witchblade and Agent One: I forgot to mention, I've seen both Clash of the Bionoids and DYRL in Japanese. I loved them both. And to Hurin: Thanks man! I'm surprised someone is willing to do that. )

the first issues of all the 1/48s had nosecones and wing flap problems with falling off. 

319613[/snapback]

Ah, that's a good thing to know. Thanks.

319641[/snapback]

Those problems only goes for the Roy 1st Issue and Hikaru 1A 1st Issue. From the Max 1A 1st issue (if I recall properly the max was supposingly reissued in japan once) onwards those problems were rectified.

(PS to Witchblade and Agent One: I forgot to mention, I've seen both Clash of the Bionoids and DYRL in Japanese. I loved them both. And to Hurin: Thanks man! I'm surprised someone is willing to do that. )

319641[/snapback]

Yes I taught my son well. DYRL is the second greatest movie ever created, as you are a fan of it, you should really get a 1/48 from that. I mean come on, all the deatil and precision on the 1/48 is based off of the great artwork in DYRL, not the slopy TV show.