OT: Family Guy

Isn't it that nasty metal-liquid-stuff that's used to check your digestive tract? If it is, it's the worst-tasting stuff in the world, I had it one time.

But yeah, it was kind of funny when I torrented the episode, but not funny because I was eating lunch when I got around to watching it. That seems to be my luck. <_<

Ipecac syrup is some nasty ass stuff... I remember my grandmother used to have some "just in case". I made it a point to not have a stomach ache anywhere near that woman.

Oh and that Family Guy episode had me laughing so hard I fell off my couch... my wife (who was not laughing at all) said that I had "problems".

I believe my current favorite is the petercopter/hindenpeter

Peter: TO THE HINDENPETER!!

*takes off*

*explodes*

Joe: OH MY GOD!!!

Peter: JOE, I am SO sorry!

Joe: HOW CAN YOU AFFORD THESE THINGS?

313453[/snapback]

thats my fav too after that peter gives the list of all the shows fox killed off.

Directions:

For children over one year and adults

Give on tablespoonful (15 ml, one half ounce) of Syrup of Ipecac.

Immediatly give 8-16 oz of any fluid except milk (kool-aid, soda pop, fruit juice, etc.).

Vomiting should occur in approximately 15-20 minutes.

IF vomiting has not occured in 20 minutes administer an additional tablespoonful of Syrup of Ipecac. Never give more than two tablespoonfuls.

Normally Syrup of Ipecac should not be given at home if:

The patient is less than one year old or

Corrosives (lye, drain cleaners, oven cleaners, automatic dishwasher detergent, or other strong acids or bases) have been taken or burns are seen around or in the mouth or

A petroleum distillate-containing product (kerosene, gasoline, paint thinner, furniture polish, etc.) has been taken or

The patient is lethargic (sluggish), asleep, or commatose (unconscious) or

The patient is convulsing

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if it will cause your stomach to explode if you give it to someone who has drank a corrosive or petroleum distillate?

Or is it because they don't want that stuff coming back up the throat?

I wonder if it will cause your stomach to explode if you give it to someone who has drank a corrosive or petroleum distillate?

Or is it because they don't want that stuff coming back up the throat?

The second one.

Anyway, yeah, that was the best puke clip ever. It even topped the puke scene in Team America.

Puking is funny, if it's happening to somebody else.

Edited by mikeszekely

Isn't it that nasty metal-liquid-stuff that's used to check your digestive tract?  If it is, it's the worst-tasting stuff in the world, I had it one time.

I believe you're talking about "Barium" (at least that's what it's called in my country)

Not that all Family Guy fans don't already know this, but what always makes these scenes funnier to me is when I belatedly realize that there's only one guy doing all the voices (except Chris).

H

Not that all Family Guy fans don't already know this, but what always makes these scenes funnier to me is when I belatedly realize that there's only one guy doing all the voices (except Chris).

H

314602[/snapback]

He's also doing the voice of Meg? I thought that was Mila Kunis.

OR am I thinking of Luanne from King Of The Hill. :blink:

Was just talking about that particular scene. Meg isn't in it. Oh, and, though she only appears at the very end, he doesn't do Lois's voice either.

H

H

314602[/snapback]

He's also doing the voice of Meg? I thought that was Mila Kunis.

OR am I thinking of Luanne from King Of The Hill. :blink:

314604[/snapback]

Damn, I think the season is over.  That's too bad.. Have to wait till Sept to get new episodes.  I think the show trumps the Simpsons, but that's just me.

314622[/snapback]

Bah. I haven't watched The Simpsons in about four years now unless you count the DVDs that are available of some of the "Golden Years" which, IMHO, are seasons 4-8.

Here's a good (but old) article that sums up pretty well how a lot of people feel about The Simpsons since about the turn of the millenium. :p

Family guy is way better than the Simpson's now, just like Futurama was better than crappy King of the Hill. Although with the Simpson's, i think its hard to maintain relevance over such a period of time, and such an apparent turn over in writing staffs.

King of the Hill is actually pretty entertaining, totally different from Simpsons, or Futurama. I actually didn't like Futurama much. Although I have to say, Seth Green's American Dad is really hilarious. It's almost a carbon copy of Family Guy in character translation, and you have to love Klaus the goldfish... heh heh, he's German.

I watched the episode where Louis took martial arts and the family ended up in a big brawl last night on CN. It was just funny as hell.

Ipecac

Sorry for the OT post but this was too funny not to share.

Scot

313437[/snapback]

I think the funniest part of the show, for me, was the table conversation between Peter and Loise's father...

- at the dinner table discussing the boat race...

PETER - It's great how you like to have young men on your boat.

LOISE's FATHER - (Angrily) ARE YOU CALLING ME GAY?

PETER - Oh no, no, not at all. I'm just saying, you like to have sea men on you poop deck.

:lol::lol::lol:

IMHO, anyone who doesn't get King of the Hill hasn't seen enough of them (or has been watching the crappier new one). Once you start appreciating the subtleties of the characters, it's friggin' priceless.

Hank Hill: "Look, if Ronald Reagan dyed his hair --and I'm NOT saying he did-- he only did it to intimidate the Communists."

Of course, that's 10 times funnier in Hank Hill's voice.

My gf hated King of the Hill until she caught a few good ones, now she can't get enough.

H

Here's a good (but old) article that sums up pretty well how a lot of people feel about The Simpsons since about the turn of the millenium.  :p

314624[/snapback]

Meh...that guy was a few sentences away from "Homer raped my childhood" rhetoric. I'm not saying that the Simpsons hasn't declined in the last few years (although I'd also argue that the last season did turn the trend around considerably) but this obsession and entitlement that some fans seem to feel is not only deplorable, but downright unhealthy. When you begin to rant about how somebody has "debased" a fictional character, in order to tell a different kind of joke than they were originally conceived to do, then it's really time to take a step back. I can't put into words how fed up I am with fans rambling on about how X person has ruined Y franchise, and that because they don't like it, said show/movie/book/whatever should simply cease (nevermindng the fact that there seem to be other fans who continue to enjoy it).

Oh yeah, the new season of FG rawks. Hard. I love how Meg has really become the red-headed stepchild of the family. :lol:

Here's a good (but old) article that sums up pretty well how a lot of people feel about The Simpsons since about the turn of the millenium.   :p

314624[/snapback]

Meh...that guy was a few sentences away from "Homer raped my childhood" rhetoric. I'm not saying that the Simpsons hasn't declined in the last few years (although I'd also argue that the last season did turn the trend around considerably) but this obsession and entitlement that some fans seem to feel is not only deplorable, but downright unhealthy. When you begin to rant about how somebody has "debased" a fictional character, in order to tell a different kind of joke than they were originally conceived to do, then it's really time to take a step back. I can't put into words how fed up I am with fans rambling on about how X person has ruined Y franchise, and that because they don't like it, said show/movie/book/whatever should simply cease (nevermindng the fact that there seem to be other fans who continue to enjoy it).

Oh yeah, the new season of FG rawks. Hard. I love how Meg has really become the red-headed stepchild of the family. :lol:

314768[/snapback]

BINGO!

Yes, yes, I got it. All criticizm is lame and those who engage in it are always too high-strung. I learned that during the Star Wars threads. ;)

BSU, you said you essentially agreed with the premise that the The Simpsons had taken a downward turn. Well, this guy merely put some thought into why. . . so I guess he therefore deserves ridicule and to be called "obsessed". . .

Yes, there are "guy x is ruining show y" or "show y isn't nearly as good as it once was" trends that can be annoying. . . and they even sometimes descends into people calling for the accelerated demise of a once-loved franchise. However, you can either see this as a phenomenon of people being annoying whiners. . . or a phenomenon of all good things eventually falling apart. I think it's largely the latter, which encourages the latent tendencies of the former.

Personally though, I also find knee-jerk defenses of obviously declined properties to be equally annoying. Some people are overly critical. And some people aren't very discriminating. I find both annoying (even though I'm probably guilty of both). :lol:

Query: Do you believe the WHOLE world revolves around you and anything BSU says is in reference to you somehow?

Yes, yes, I got it.  All criticizm is lame and those who engage in it are always too high-strung.  I learned that during the Star Wars threads.   ;)

BSU, you said you essentially agreed with the premise that the The Simpsons had taken a downward turn.  Well, this guy merely put some thought into why. . . so I guess he therefore deserves ridicule and to be called "obsessed". . .

Yes, there are "guy x is ruining show y" or "show y isn't nearly as good as it once was" trends that can be annoying. . . and they even sometimes descends into people calling for the accelerated demise of a once-loved franchise.  However, you can either see this as a phenomenon of people being annoying whiners. . . or a phenomenon of all good things eventually falling apart.  I think it's largely the latter, which encourages the latent tendencies of the former.

Personally though, I also find knee-jerk defenses of obviously declined properties to be equally annoying.   Some people are overly critical.  And some people aren't very discriminating.  I find both annoying (even though I'm probably guilty of both).   :lol:

314788[/snapback]

EDIT: Just to let you know, I saw that you supplied the link to that article. I just don't get why you think BSU's reply is all about you. I didn't read any SW threads but agree 100% with him (not anything relating to you for all I know).

Edited by Jemstone

Query: Do you believe the WHOLE world revolves around you and anything BSU says is in reference to you somehow?
Yes, yes, I got it.  All criticizm is lame and those who engage in it are always too high-strung.  I learned that during the Star Wars threads.   ;)

BSU, you said you essentially agreed with the premise that the The Simpsons had taken a downward turn.  Well, this guy merely put some thought into why. . . so I guess he therefore deserves ridicule and to be called "obsessed". . .

Yes, there are "guy x is ruining show y" or "show y isn't nearly as good as it once was" trends that can be annoying. . . and they even sometimes descends into people calling for the accelerated demise of a once-loved franchise.  However, you can either see this as a phenomenon of people being annoying whiners. . . or a phenomenon of all good things eventually falling apart.  I think it's largely the latter, which encourages the latent tendencies of the former.

Personally though, I also find knee-jerk defenses of obviously declined properties to be equally annoying.   Some people are overly critical.  And some people aren't very discriminating.  I find both annoying (even though I'm probably guilty of both).   :lol:

314788[/snapback]

EDIT: Just to let you know, I saw that you supplied the link to that article. I just don't get why you think BSU's reply is all about you. I didn't read any SW threads but agree 100% with him (not anything relating to you for all I know).

314790[/snapback]

I don't get it. . . I merely responded to BSU's criticizm of the article and its author. Since I posted the article and also expressed some agreement with it, I'm somewhat mystified here.

:blink:

I have loved FG since it first came on, I have always thought that it was far more superior in comedy than the simpsons. Family Guy always has that u don't know what's coming up next feel, and the constant references and parodies to pop culture are priceless, I nearly died when I saw lois's dad sit in the chair in front of the speaker listening to classics blaring out, it took me straight back to the original maxwell commercials of the 80s. And the most recent episode that has had me crying was when brian was on the bachlorette and stewie was talking about his book, oh I was crying. FG brings me to tears of laughter almost every other episode that's why its far more superior, all though I love the simpsons, its getting old and tired, and even the writers recognize this as they make jokes about it every episode or so.

Personally though, I also find knee-jerk defenses of obviously declined properties to be equally annoying. Some people are overly critical. And some people aren't very discriminating. I find both annoying (even though I'm probably guilty of both). 

Nah, the internet itself was built on complaining. I've seen usenet postings from 1983 arguing about Return of the Jedi that could just as easily been found on the front page of theforce.net. For lots of people it just seems to be far easier to simply bitch about things than to actually discuss them. Combine that with the "worst. blank. ever" hyperbole types, and the ever annoying iconclasts ("I think Martin Scorcese is way overrated") and you have a heaping helping of suck.

Now your author buddy there did have some points that I felt were perfectly valid (recall that I agreed about the Simpsons slippage) but as I said, when fans feel so pasionately about characters that they find any changes to be unbearable (ie, death of Maude Flanders, which I for one cheered) then I do think that I'm in the right when I point and say "fanboy!" If it has become such a burden for him to watch "MetaHomer" then I have a hot tip for him: Don't watch. Vote with your remote. If all the hardcore Simpsons fans felt the way he does (and his type invaraibly make the mistake of speaking for everybody) then watch something else, and the show would eventually be cancelled. But to instead compaign for the shows demise is just infantile.

Finally, is it even possible to like something that you dislike while at the same time being "discriminating?"

Nah, the internet itself was built on complaining. I've seen usenet postings from 1983 arguing about Return of the Jedi that could just as easily been found on the front page of theforce.net. For lots of people it just seems to be far easier to simply bitch about things than to actually discuss them. Combine that with the "worst. blank. ever" hyperbole types, and the ever annoying iconclasts ("I think Martin Scorcese is way overrated") and you have a heaping helping of suck.

Now your author buddy there did have some points that I felt were perfectly valid (recall that I agreed about the Simpsons slippage) but as I said, when fans feel so pasionately about characters that they find any changes to be unbearable (ie, death of Maude Flanders, which I for one cheered) then I do think that I'm in the right when I point and say "fanboy!" If it has become such a burden for him to watch "MetaHomer" then I have a hot tip for him: Don't watch. Vote with your remote. If all the hardcore Simpsons fans felt the way he does (and his type invaraibly make the mistake of speaking for everybody) then watch something else, and the show would eventually be cancelled. But to instead compaign for the shows demise is just infantile.

Finally, is it even possible to like something that you dislike while at the same time being "discriminating?"

314800[/snapback]

I would like to continue this argument. But since I agree with everything you just wrote, that would be difficult. :)

I have always seen the Simpsons as the more "traditional" off-center adult aimed animation show that gave birth to all the risque and downright freakish ones on now. Without the Simpsons you most likely would never have had a Family Guy, Aqua Teen or others. And much like the children of a parent, the children take it to the next level and expand on all the things we liked about the parent... just more specialized.

I almost can't watch the Simpsons now because the rapid-fire humor of Family Guy has me getting bored watching the Simpsons. Plus the Simpsons is still a very broad based show with a lot of people of different age groups and places in life enjoying it and I can see by their current writing that they are comfortable doing "major news event cover shows" and other common sitcom fare now... while I think Family Guy is a specially targeted cruise missle of a show aimed at only one generation of viewers and features half it's humor being pokes at the obscure trivia of that generation. The Simpsons could never get away with half the stuff Family Guy pulls off mostly due to their seeming unwillingness to keep pushing the boundaries... I almost think they don't want people to think they are "imitating their imitator" if you follow my logic.

I almost can't watch the Simpsons now because the rapid-fire humor of Family Guy has me getting bored watching the Simpsons. Plus the Simpsons is still a very broad based show with a lot of people of different age groups and places in life enjoying it and I can see by their current writing that they are comfortable doing "major news event cover shows" and other common sitcom fare now... while I think Family Guy is a specially targeted cruise missle of a show aimed at only one generation of viewers and features half it's humor being pokes at the obscure trivia of that generation. The Simpsons could never get away with half the stuff Family Guy pulls off mostly due to their seeming unwillingness to keep pushing the boundaries... I almost think they don't want people to think they are "imitating their imitator" if you follow my logic.

314806[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

There was actually a Simpsons episode that attempted the patented Family Guy type cutaway flashbacks, and while it did make me laugh it felt really out of place and was actually a little distracting. I think it was the only time they attempted that style of humor, and I'm glad for it.

Now pardon me while I shed a tear for the late, lamented Futurama.