Revenge of the Sith

And you know, for all the relevant stuff they did cut, like Senators petitioning Palpatine to give up some of his power or the beginnings of the Rebellion, they just had to show the Wookies fighting the droid army on Kashyyyk, even though it was the most worthless scene in the whole movie. Aside from getting Yoda off Coruscant whenever Anakin joined the Sith and attacked the Jedi Temple, it had no relevence to the story whatsoever. It was more fan service than anything else... like Lucas sat around and though, "You know, the fans love the Wookies, especially Chewie. I'll work them into the movie somehow... hell, I'll even show their homeworld!"

I think a large part of this was to add some more action in the middle of the movie. Everyone complained that the other two had really slow moments. This battle scene helped pick up the pace during the middle when it was a little slower.

I think a large part of this was to add some more action in the middle of the movie. Everyone complained that the other two had really slow moments. This battle scene helped pick up the pace during the middle when it was a little slower.

The Kashyyk battle scene is unnecessary, though, as the Senators' meeting is a pretty crucial plot development in the story.

Yeah, lots of people complained about the Senate scenes in Clones, but I thought they were both interesting and vital to the story being told. I suppose it helps that I'm a fan of shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes so I don't need action every 5 minutes to keep me interested. There was actually a Senate scene or two cut from Clones that I though added to the film and should have remained. I was looking forward to the events actions leading towards the formation of the rebellion, and was dissapointed to see they didn't make it into the final movie.

I'm with everyone else hoping for an extended cut. Maybe even a Prequel Trilogy box set with extended and deleted scenes for all the movies.

I'm with everyone else hoping for an extended cut. Maybe even a Prequel Trilogy box set with extended and deleted scenes for all the movies.

I would also like to see an extended cut. Lucas did mention that the focus needed to stay on Anakin (mentioned in the Ep. 3 easter eggs on the official site) and, in a sense, I'm gonna have to agree. But it would have been nice if we had all of those scenes in there to flesh out the other characters.

well i am finally going to get a chance to see it today i hope i like it.

chris

Well, just finished the novel. It was very good. Really (as most novelizations do) added a lot to the movie.

But anyways, as Yoda, Bail, and Obi-Wan are figuring out what to do at the end, they even have the foresight to make it appear that Padme is still pregnant when she is buried.

Which, begs the question. . . if they really don't want Vader to know that his offspring survived Padme's death, why the hell did they never bother to change Luke's last name to something other than Skywalker! :lol:

By all accounts, Vader learns of Luke's existence after the Battle of Yavin, through spies. . . if he had changed his name to Luke Jones, he might have continued to train and grow stronger, and confront Vader and the Emperor on his own terms having been fully trained by Yoda. ;)

Luke Jones. . . now that has a great ring to it!

H

Yeah, the book added alot.

Where it added a whole lot to vs the movie was the dilemna Anakin was in regarding the Chancellor and the Council and the whole trying to save Padme thing. It stretched it out to make you see how he felt while in the movie, due to time constraints, felt rushed a little.

And the ending in the book was FAR superior. When they didn't show Qui-Gon in the movies, I was like, "WTF?!?" :huh:

The book really showed Anakin as struggling with difficult choices. Hell, he was shocked, SHOCKED(!), when he learned that Palpatine is Sidious, and was physically sick.

The movie turned him into a bitchy little twit.

There was something else the book added that I felt meant alot.

The scene where Windu, Yoda, and Obi-Wan are riding in the Rep.Gunship in preperation for Yoda's Kashyyyk operation.

I dont' want to give it away, since I felt it was waaaaaaaaaaaay more meaningful than the movie's version.

i saw the film finally on sunday, i was very impressed i thought the death of the Jedis was handled very well, as well as all the major battles. i liked the film alot. i wish it did not have to end so soon however. i finally get a new star wars film that i truly enjoyed and naturally it is the last of the 3. why could the new trilogy start off like this than end like this.

chris

The book really showed Anakin as struggling with difficult choices. Hell, he was shocked, SHOCKED(!), when he learned that Palpatine is Sidious, and was physically sick.

The scene where Windu, Yoda, and Obi-Wan are riding in the Rep.Gunship in preperation for Yoda's Kashyyyk operation.

I dont' want to give it away, since I felt it was waaaaaaaaaaaay more meaningful than the movie's version.

Can you pm me what they say?

My guess is that they couldn't get Liam Neeson back for one reason or another. A shame. I hope I'm wrong and that there's possibly an extended/altered version of that scene for a future DVD release. Heck, knowing Lucas it's quite possible he'd try to get Neeson back later when he's available and film the scene for the DVD release or some kinda prequel Special Edition version.

I know, wishful thinking.

Hey, what ever happened with Commander Cody? Didn't Obi-wan have to kill him?

I don't think so. I think Obi-wan kind of just snuck to Greivous' ship after falling into the sinkhole, then escaped.

My guess is that they couldn't get Liam Neeson back for one reason or another.

Qui Gon never appeared in the script, so I don't believe its a matter of not being able to get him. I mean, we are talking about maybe a day or two of green screen work. Remember, Neeson was willing to do work for Episode II, but they ended up putting together dialog from Episode I to get what they wanted.

Well, this *is* the spoilers thread...

I think Liam Nesson was suppose to do a voice over. He would have been doing "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Batman Begins" at the time so there's no way they can call him off set. However they could have sent out few people to do a voice over. Voice overs are easy. Heck, they did James Earl Jones' lines in a day. Just give him that 1 page of lines and your done.

He lives. In the end Palp orders Commander Cody to ready a ship for him so he could go to where Vader is.

Seems like he moved up the ladder once Order 66 was given. That or since he was the only clone named, his name was used so it would connect with the audience more. Could possible mean that he was one of the most highly ranked Clone Troopers, hmm would be could if he showed up in the TV series. Maybe end up becoming a Red Guard or something due to being so close to Obi-wan and knowing how to protect a force user or how to work with one since he was around one of the best.

He lives. In the end Palp orders Commander Cody to ready a ship for him so he could go to where Vader is.

Seems like he moved up the ladder once Order 66 was given. That or since he was the only clone named...

Actually, several clones were named. You just have to pay better attention!

The various Clone War era books make mention of people in the Republic starting to give the Clone Troopers names.

Everyone at first thought of the Clone Troopers as mere Droids. But the Clone Wars had changed that over time. Their loyalty was unquestionable to the Republic and most of all, they were dying in large numbers for the Republic. Leaders started giving names instead of using the serial numbers given to the Clones.

Lucas has said that the Stormtroopers in Episodes 4,5,and 6 are a mix of both. After the Clones Wars, normal citizens were accepted to become troopers, along with Clones. Though I don't think he says that they are the same Clones taken from Jango Fett.

One thing I wish was in the film that was in the novel was the character of Needa that was in the OT. He's in the novel, commanding the ship that causes GG's ship to break apart and start falling towards the planet. I also wish Tarkin had a line at the end of the film. We see him looking out at the Death Star beign bult and then moves to the side.

Edited by Effect

One line from the book i wish was in the movie was said by Cody after he recieved order 66. "Why did i just give him the lightsaber?" had me cracking up when i read it. I think it was just the authors explanation of the characters thoughts but it would have been a good line.

One line from the book i wish was in the movie was said by Cody after he recieved order 66. "Why did i just give him the lightsaber?" had me cracking up when i read it.

I really missed that line too, which went something like "Why couldn't he (Sidious) give the order BEFORE I returned his lightsaber?"

Lucas has said that the Stormtroopers in Episodes 4,5,and 6 are a mix of both. After the Clones Wars, normal citizens were accepted to become troopers, along with Clones. Though I don't think he says that they are the same Clones taken from Jango Fett.

Actually, his latest statement on the matter is that the later-day Empire did conscript or recruit ordinary joes....to be in turn used as new clone templates.

From MTV.com

Those who have seen all six movies now know that there is a direct link between the Clone Troopers of the first three episodes and the Storm Troopers of the three that follow. So are all those soldiers from the original trilogy actually just the same guy? "Yes," Lucas said. Fair enough, master — but if that's true, then why do the troopers in the earlier movies possess different voices?

"Well, yeah, some of the voices have been changed, um, to make it more consistent," he said, raising an eyebrow at the precociousness of the Padawan. Indeed, Lucas has gone back and changed the voices of the Storm Troopers during recent re-edits for the special editions. "Those particular two guys that you're talking about — which I know about, which is a very good performance — the idea is that over time, there were new clone strains introduced, and then they even conscripted guys to be Storm Troopers. So it's not just purely clones: It started out as clones, but then it got diluted over the years as they found out they could shanghai guys [more cheaply] than they could build clones."

Impressive, as Darth Vader might say — most impressive. So then, if many of the Storm Troopers are indeed photocopies of Jango Fett, does that mean that when Boba was on Cloud City, he could have turned to any of them and asked them to take off their masks, only to find his dad standing there?

"Well, there's like a 50/50 chance," Lucas answered. "Not necessarily — he could be anybody, he could be the Mock 2 or the Mock 3, or he could just be some poor guy who got shanghaied."

Edited by bsu legato

One line from the book i wish was in the movie was said by Cody after he recieved order 66. "Why did i just give him the lightsaber?" had me cracking up when i read it. I think it was just the authors explanation of the characters thoughts but it would have been a good line.

Ok...does this mean even the ARC troopers such as Cody, who were supposed to have more individual judgement, don't have inner conflicts turning on their comrades if an order was given by Sidious?

I think so. I think from the EU it was said that the Arc troopers which were trained by Jango himself and then Clone Commandos like seen in Republic Commando game had more individual traits when compared with normal clone troopers. I'm guessing this is true of the really high ranking commanders like Cody as well.

Can you pm me what they say?

PM sent, with one extra scene from the book.

Ok...does this mean even the ARC troopers such as Cody, who were supposed to have more individual judgement, don't have inner conflicts turning on their comrades if an order was given by Sidious?

One can assume that once the order was given a genetically built-in imperative was triggered, and whatever individuality, sense of loyalty other than to Sidious, or moral/ethical misgivings (if they're even capable of such), would have been negated, and the order carried out by design. These are all clones, matured in accelerated fashion, and programmed to be servile to the Republic and its figurehead above all other considerations, even the more independent commando units.

I'm sure they had some negative thoughts or feelings about it, but they were also genetically designed and trained from birth to follow orders and get the job done. They may have thought something like, "Ah, Obi-wan was a nice chap, it's too bad we have to kill him." Or, "I'll miss him after I shoot him repeatedly to death." But I don't think outright disobedience, as in "I'm not shooting Obi! I like Obi!" wouldn't have been much of a possibility.

I'm sure they had some negative thoughts or feelings about it, but they were also genetically designed and trained from birth to follow orders and get the job done. They may have thought something like, "Ah, Obi-wan was a nice chap, it's too bad we have to kill him." Or, "I'll miss him after I shoot him repeatedly to death." But I don't think outright disobedience, as in "I'm not shooting Obi! I like Obi!" wouldn't have been much of a possibility.

That's pretty much exactly what the book says. Order 66 was engrained in them since before they awoke in their cloning chambers. Even so, they are still human and Cody is shown to have some regret about it (even if he demonstrates it as rueful humor regarding the timing -- having just given back Obi-Wan's lightsaber), even though he carries out the order ruthlessly. . . much more ruthlessly than in the movie.