macross ace

Went back and watched macross yet again cause its so great, anyway there is something I noticed. When kamjin was talking to millia about an ace on board the macross was he really ever talking about max? Most of the time when he went into battle he was up against hikaru, and even said hikaru had some skills. Just something I thought I may point out if it hasn't been already, also now that I am military I have an all newfound respect and love for the show. It is great watching them rise in rank, except from sergeant to liutenant, don't know how that one works, also I have even more hate for minmay, expecting hikaru to be at her every beck and call, while he is out fighting. Anyway I just had the question about the ace thing

Kamjin was talking about Hikaru.

Milia mistook him meaning Max.

Yes, but an ace by Kamjin's definition and an ace by Millia's are so diffrent that it doesn't matter. Max was the guy she wanted.

If Kamjin had IDed Hikaru for her, she'd've pr'ly been so pissed that she'd've shot him for making fun of her.

It was also kind of hard for Milia to find Hikaru, since he was in the hospital at the time Kamjin told her about the ace aboard the Macross.

No, she should have recognized Hikaru for his toy model flying skills through the hospitol window while running through the Macross!

I don't think Kamujin had anyone in particular in mind (Max, Hikaru, Roy, etc.) He just wanted to tweak Millia and spur her into action, because he knew getting her fired up and then standing well out of the way would cause a lot of chaos. Being an a-hole is part of Kamujin's charm. :p She then saw Max's mad flying skillz (I cannot believe I wrote that...), and decided he was the ace that Kamujin was referring to.

Edited by Pat Payne

I don't think Kamujin had anyone in particular in mind (Max, Hikaru, Roy, etc.) He just wanted to tweak Millia and spur her into action, because he knew getting her fired up and then standing well out of the way would cause a lot of chaos. Being an a-hole is part of Kamujin's charm. :p She then saw Max's mad flying skillz (I cannot believe I wrote that...), and decided he was the ace that Kamujin was referring to.

It could've also just been covering his failure.

Millia comes in and harrasses him for getting his butt handed to him repeatedly. He automatically goes "Nuh-uh, it's not my fault. They got some crazy pilot over there that just ain't human... zentran... whatever he is, it ain't normal."

Then added the bit about maybe being a threat to Millia just to annoy her.

I had gotten the impression that Max's reputation preceded him. Kamjin probably heard about "The Ace" from his men (well, any that survived anyway). Hikaru's real good, but he's not THAT good.

Oh, and Kanedaestes- Don't hate Minmay. She's just a teenage girl. Teenagers have NO idea what's going on in their mind (let alone women >D ) Have you TALKED to a teenager since being one? I don't recommend it, you just end up feeling old.

Oh, and I LOVE MACROSS!!!! WohooOOO!!

That's why I kinda cheered when hikaru bitch slapped minmay in the movie. :D

This is what hikaru should have said:

"Grow da fk'up you fkn spoilt princess! we're all gona die thanks to you not singing!"

I think this is why ppl hated Kaifun's treatment of her in the tv series though. But think about it, she deserves it as a way to correct her and wake her up to reality. The positive is that in the end it worked. :p

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm with the Hikaru crowd. He was the constant pain in the ass that kept screwing up Kamjins plan. Max got to take down alot of cannonfodders but Hikaru went after the Zentran aces/commanders all the time while looking after his wing.

Plus when it came down to crunch time in DYRL, who got the plush assignment of flying down narrow corridors while being shot at with missiles and lasers? Didn't get hit, not a once. The main man Hikaru.

Roy owns both their asses. He flies drunk.

LoL. the only reason Hikaru was in the hospital was because of Misa right? Also, why did Misa have to go out into space in DYRL to bring back Hikaru and Minmay? Man, they weren't even together yet and she was weighing him down like a rock... :lol:

There is a scene in a previous episode where Kamjin faces Hikaru over the Macross deck, and both are dubious to shoot. Then Kamjin goes "He's not bad...". I think that's when Kamjin got the "ace" impression about Hikaru.

Hey arrowyn okay she is a teen I will give u that, but by the end of the series she is at least 20 and still is acting very immature and selfish. Oh well I don't remember to many girls that were that bad 10 yrs ago, but I am sure I am wrong. So when is the next macross convention or get together coming down to florida anyway? Just curious to see if anyone knows, and I still like to believe that it was hikaru that he was talking about, max is better, but its more fun to see hikaru going from green fighter pilot, to the combat ace in charge of the famous skull squadron and everyone including enemies recognizing it.

I don't think Kamujin had anyone in particular in mind (Max, Hikaru, Roy, etc.) He just wanted to tweak Millia and spur her into action, because he knew getting her fired up and then standing well out of the way would cause a lot of chaos. Being an a-hole is part of Kamujin's charm.  :p She then saw Max's mad flying skillz (I cannot believe I wrote that...), and decided he was the ace that Kamujin was referring to.

It could've also just been covering his failure.

Millia comes in and harrasses him for getting his butt handed to him repeatedly. He automatically goes "Nuh-uh, it's not my fault. They got some crazy pilot over there that just ain't human... zentran... whatever he is, it ain't normal."

Then added the bit about maybe being a threat to Millia just to annoy her.

Actually, that makes for a better interpretation than my "he's just an a$$hole" theory... :)

From watching both the Macross TV series and DYRL, I got the impression that Max was a "genius", because he was a quick learner. That being said, I didn't get the impression that Max was a better pilot than Hikaru or Roy. Being a prodigy or a "genius" simply means learning more quickly than others, but the ability to learn quickly doesn't usually win out over experience. However, there's something to be said for rookie sensations. Max's skill tempered by his humility makes him one of my favorite characters. I hope this makes sense. :)

Edited by Wicked Ace

But at the rate he was learning to use his Valk he would have bested Roy in a couple of years. He was definitely better than Hikaru in the beginning of DYRL. His manuevers showed that. But Hikaru wasn't chopped liver though. Remember Hikaru was a great pilot when he arrived in South Ataru. Together, with Roy sober, they would have been and awesome squad. Kakizaki? Well he was a CF pilot surrounded by good pilots... that's how come he lasted as long as he did... but he couldn't escape fate. hehe.

I would think Max is probably a better marksman than hikaru. There was an episode he shot down more planes than hikaru and to me being inexperienced and still shooting down more planes can only make him look better. :D He even took out a zentradi pod from miles away with his first shot (came from the headlaser I think) when all the other guys could barely see them in the distance enough to launch thier missiles. :lol: "Is it ok to start shooting if its not a waste of ammo?"

And don't forget the arcades, hikaru was hopeless at them. Hikaru's skills may be more as a result of the sheer amount of practice and effort he puts into flying (ever since he was a kid I assume? the more practice an effort you put into something the better you will come to a certain point) whereas max seems like the kind who has naturally very good reflexs and intelligence and also awareness. (unlike Kakizaki he didn't need any supervision from hikaru at all except for when hikarua gave specific orders) Almost like whenever he has to dodge or avoid danger it is no hassle to him and it didn't take years of practice: its just something innate. You'll note while he is doing all the fancy stunts he is completly calm rather than panicky like hikaru.

Just some observations. Unlike roy (taught by ivanov) who maybe taught and passed on the flying addiction/fascination/plane fetish to Hikaru, which then resulted in him being good due to that being his interest, max is just plain good at it. (no indication he was mentored by some uber elite teacher which become the source of the skill) Hikaru's a great pilot but I think max's skills are in a different class just going by this idea that he can take on all the tasks as if they came naturally whereas in the tv series, Roy comments on how improved Hikaru becomes over time - so he must have been average at first. (obviously due to his training where he gets gradually better rather than rises so sharply like max)

Max = Legolas from LOTR :D

And don't forget the arcades, hikaru was hopeless at them. Hikaru's skills may be more as a result of the sheer amount of practice and effort he puts into flying (ever since he was a kid I assume? the more practice an effort you put into something the better you will come to a certain point)

You know that part bit bothered me if valks was part of a secret project how he would play an arcade of them since when he was a kid? Sure theres proly regular aircraft simulator arcade and maybe mecha arcade games but to the macross world I doubt theres one that is both before the zentran attack. Im more inclined to think hes more of a very quick learner or very lucky, like randomly shoot into space at differnt directions but due to the sheer number of regults in the area you couldn't miss and you end up looking like an ace. :lol:

What I mean was flying in general not the vf1 in particular. Although it must have helped to have been the winner of amatuer flying competitions and as a stunt flyer in a circus. ie hikaru being skilled was from all that previous experience.

His dad died doing that, so he assumed he should follow in his footsteps as a daredevil pilot doing dangerous things. You don't do those dangerous things unless you know wtf you are doing before doing them - practice practice practice. I doubt like max, hikaru could just pick up skills really quickly, his abilities must have been honed from years of flying all sorts of planes. But right from the beginning we know max is better than hikaru from his shooting down more zentradi than him. And he's less experienced than hikaru which says something about his natural ability/intelligence/quick learning.

If max was lucky he would not be consistantly avoiding attacks from another ace and dodging those attacks as if it were nothing. In many ways, the show makes clear that hikaru is more at the level of kamjin than milia. Because in his battle against kamjin they both blow each other's arms off in a mech battle. (remember he is sweating and really nervous here, uncertain if he will come out alive until kamjin is suddenly recalled) That to me says hikaru was struggling to take a less-skilled pilot than the one max was taking on. (milia)

If milia could barely scratch max, and max is less experienced than hikaru; and hikaru had a whole arm blown off by kamjin, who is worse than milia, then we can assume that max's skills are in a different class altogether from hikaru, going by the logic that milia is way better than kamjin and she couldn't beat max. We can sa that max has sharper reflexs and being a genuis also a quicker mind then hikaru. But this is not necessarily attributed to how much effort and training max puts into it. It's not necessarily because he has trained as hard as hikaru and put in the same amount of hours as him, or because he had a good teacher, nor is it that he is just lucky. It is just that max seems to just have those skills naturally that to many people would take ages to develop. (more accurate aim, faster response, able to keep the mind focused on many things at once etc Things that some people struggle with in order to be good at, where others with a gift don't struggle)

In terms of sheer piloting ability--be it from natural aptitude or training--I think it's pretty clear that Max was better than Hikaru. I think it's also clear thatr Hikaru was excellent in his own right.

What I find a more telling issue is their overall status as comabt pilots, i.e. soldiers. In that domain, I feel there's enough evidence to suggest that Hikaru was better than Max. All we ever see Max doing is flying off on his own--shooting down lots of enemies, yes, but with less regard for his wingmen and the overall battle than Hikaru. I have little evidence for this other than a few anecdotes, but that's my two cents.

And don't forget the arcades, hikaru was hopeless at them. Hikaru's skills may be more as a result of the sheer amount of practice and effort he puts into flying (ever since he was a kid I assume? the more practice an effort you put into something the better you will come to a certain point)

You know that part bit bothered me if valks was part of a secret project how he would play an arcade of them since when he was a kid? Sure theres proly regular aircraft simulator arcade and maybe mecha arcade games but to the macross world I doubt theres one that is both before the zentran attack. Im more inclined to think hes more of a very quick learner or very lucky, like randomly shoot into space at differnt directions but due to the sheer number of regults in the area you couldn't miss and you end up looking like an ace. :lol:

Maybe his parents were part of the VFX project during the reconstruction of the Macross and were killed in the start of the war. He may have had some first hand knowledge of the Valkyries from his parents notes.

Try games in general.

Max was darn good at video games. Which aren't, on the face of it, that dis-similar from piloting in a warzone.

You've got a joystick, some buttons, and if you don't keep track of everything going on, you die(admittedly, one death is a bit less permanent).

Obviously, real-world combat is a bit more complex.

More controls(unless you play a lot of mech/fighter sims), you're in a 3D space, you have inertia slinging you around, the enemy is smarter, and isn't coming in waves carefully constructed to give you a challenge but still be killable.

But the same skills that serve a gamer are still largely the same ones a combat pilot needs.

He's got good hand-eye coordination, fast reflexes, good aim, and can keep an eye on his sensors as well as the guy he's trying to line up a shot on.

Edited by JB0

Maybe his parents were part of the VFX project during the reconstruction of the Macross and were killed in the start of the war. He may have had some first hand knowledge of the Valkyries from his parents notes.

Well, Roy taught him the booster climb thing he used in the airshow. (and there's a flashback of roy flying in an old plane with hikaru being left behind) Given that roy was pretty anti-war or at least neutral (gathered from macross zero with his conversation with Aries) his main flying skill must have been flying non military stuff at first and then I guess he honed it with ivanov to become a better killer since ivanov is supposed to be one of the best. (Roy never really beat ivanov and ivanov seemed like he was toying with him due to his experience)

Hikaru's dodging skills must then have been his years from precision flying in compeititons whereas max is just natural like the elf from LOTR :D (who has better natural sensitivity, hearing things no one else can, more alert generally, accuracy in aim as a marksmen etc) Now I gather that when Hikaru said to "conserve ammo" what he really meant was "don't fire recklessly" which is what kakizaki was going to do. But max must have interpreted that to mean "increase the accuracy of your shots - don't miss" and so max demonstrates his uber accuracy by firing a single shot and scoring a hit from far away on the znetradi which is why I use the "elf has better natural aiming then human" analogy from LOTR. If max wasn't such a good shot, he would have waited to get closer to fire like the other guys right? What's easy for an elf in LOTR might be hard for a human given humans naturally don't have as sharp senses I don't think, as the elves. (My main point of all this to say that "some of it comes from practice and lots of experience, but some of the skill comes from nature too - that is: some people will be equiped by nature with gifts others don't have even if others tried thier whole life to be as good as the person with that gift using "experience and training from a reknowned, elite pilot" only.)

All we ever see Max doing is flying off on his own--shooting down lots of enemies, yes, but with less regard for his wingmen and the overall battle than Hikaru. I have little evidence for this other than a few anecdotes, but that's my two cents.

Yeah but still I often wonder if hikaru would have survived against milia if milia went for him instead of max. See, whereas max is pretty calm under fire against miilia, hikaru was sweating against kamjin. One on one fighting with no distractions is important too. If you can wipe out thier best ace pilot you will destroy morale or may even turn the tide imo. (since the whole point of kamjin failing was because of a few elite pilots being good and successful in thier mission) I think the thing holding hikaru back was looking after kakizaki though. :D

Try games in general.

Max was darn good at video games. Which aren't, on the face of it, that dis-similar from piloting in a warzone.

You've got a joystick, some buttons, and if you don't keep track of everything going on, you die(admittedly, one death is a bit less permanent).

More controls(unless you play a lot of mech/fighter sims), you're in a 3D space, you have inertia slinging you around, the enemy is smarter, and isn't coming in waves carefully constructed to give you a challenge but still be killable.

But the same skills that serve a gamer are still largely the same ones a combat pilot needs.

He's got good hand-eye coordination, fast reflexes, good aim, and can keep an eye on his sensors as well as the guy he's trying to line up a shot on.

Sure theres proly regular aircraft simulator arcade and maybe mecha arcade games but to the macross world I doubt theres one that is both before the zentran attack.

anyways If hikaru fought milla it would proly be a draw but it would be a mess and have milla injured. max just had that one tap at the back which she freaked out on since she hasn't been hit yet in her life. plus I think global gave order to max to push the intruder out of the ship after the order to not let her in the ship and after that the order to open the mysterious roof (if the city section they was in located in the legs wouldn't the city get flooded by the water and how it open in the first place?)

But milia also challenged max to a knife fight and lost. :D

1.She lost in a one-on-one mech-to-mech duel with conditions that were fair. (milia wan't taking anyone hostage and had no interest in using that to her advantage like kamjin. Everyone knew she was not interested in attacking the sdf1, she was just there to prove she was better than max)

2. she lost in the arcade duel against max

3. she lost in the knife fight against max.

That's a broad cross section of skills: mechs, arcade game, and knife fighting.

Max has natural talents other's don't have: ie he is not normal like us. I don't think it was luck, nor because max was more trained in those skills or "tried harder" than everyone else to be good at them.

Milia tried 3 times to prove she was superior to max and in the end she wanted to die because she found out she wasn't better. Even with all her experience being a clone that carries all the knowledge over from past zentradi battles, max still beat her.

Keep in mind that there are supposed to be billions upon billions of hardered zentradi veteren clones out there and milia is the elite out of all these billions upon billions of the zentradi who are a "pure" warrior race, spending thier entire existance training to be good soldiers through history of honing fighting skill. ...and she was beaten 3 times by max who didn't look like he was injured or in a panic due to fear of loss.

...contrast this with hikaru who is single-minded like roy and only thinks about flying, spending his entire life doing that one thing and through experience being good over years of practice ....but who still shows limits (losing arm against kamjin) then it is fair to say hikaru vs max in a duel would result in hikaru losing all the time. (based on the assumption roy got his skills from ivanov and is slightly worse than ivanov, so hikaru must be slightly worse than roy due to less experience in combat. Sooo given that roy died at the hands of the grunts in milia's team, milia would outclass hikaru one-to-one no sweat. Ivanov can be considered one othe best pilots in the world at the time and is a good measure of earth skill. Hikaru can't be better than Ivanov was given Ivanov has more combat experience than roy, right?)

Always remember that roy was killed by a grunt.

In conclusion: If hikaru is less-experienced than roy (given his edge over hikaru is his age and experience, leaving hikaru behind in that flashback) who claims to have never been shot down, and milia is better than a grunt which was what killed roy, then I would say milia would have easily defeated hikaru without a sweat, since she is considered one of the "best of her race",(skill, experience, number of kills, total mission success, ability to command a team etc) and Hikaru and Roy can't be considered the best of thier race due to not being able to take on Ivanov; who is a good measure of earth's elite because he is in his prime and is old enough to have the wisdom.

I base this on the idea that the grunts are better than or level with kamjin and kamjin never lost to hikaru in the one-on-one mech fight. (it was about even: they both had limbs blown off with neither of them feeling relaxed and calm like max was against milia) Result: Milia several levels better than hikaru imo. Enough levels to say that it would be more a game of survival more than a duel.

Hikky almost "dying" from kamjin fight, "dying" to me meaning not a confirmed kill, but lots of damage being done indicates him reaching his limits. If Roy commented on how much better hikaru was getting, he was speaking from the point of view of someone with more combat experience. This wiser, more-experienced guy who died from fighting the qrau team, must then indicate that hikaru would struggle against the qraus the same way roy stuggled and therefore you can't say that the leader of that qrau team is about eqaul to hikaru. Roy's reaction to the speed of the qrau when they make thier first appearance was one of shock. The movie might be different but the events in that weren't canon.

It indicates they are able to take on someone less skilled and experienced than them without much "effort". When you are confident you are better than someone else, and can prove it time and again with victories and stats, you don't treat the opposition as a threat and your reaction is to remain confident and certain that you will win. This indicates how much "in control" of things the person was when they won. "Being calm" can suggest you've experienced it before and don't sense the "danger" as others would because you are certain it's no big deal.

Take the audience reaction to the crocodile hunter. It is a dangerous situation to people to initially be scared, but if you understand what is going on at all times and you know what you are doing, and in control, you would not be nervous. You've proven to yourself you can handle this from all your past experiences and demonstration of your skill handling it before. The threat level is lessened (things that were dnagerous to you and not dangerous if you have the skill, meaning there's no reason to get nervous) and you can monitor the person's heart rate etc to test for fear which, if you can detect it, makes them predictable in how they react. So if you are not cool under fire, this is an indication to others around you, that you are not in control. Kakizaki may in fact have had skills in sims and what not, but possibly what happened was he got scared and couldn't think straight. In his mind the situation was falling apart when he should have been focused and alert.

This is similar to how a tournament player with hundreds of victories and a record of never being defeated can whoop your champion's ass living in your local neighborhood at a popular videogame. There are levels within levels. If you are trying to fight someone who is level with you, there is about 50/50 chance of you losing so you'll want to stay focused and be alert, this results in you sweating and struglging to survive, possibly not successful in avoiding your opponent's attacks and damage control. (roy got lots of damage when they brought his valkyrie in before he died from loss of blood indiciating roy was having trouble against the elite team. They were good enough marksmen to be able to injure him) Max beat milia three times suggesting he was in control at all times, wasn't going to let the enemy injure or seriously harm them (like the way kamjin almost got hikaru) and wasn't shocked or nervous by anything going around them. (like I mentioned if a leader or someone people look up to is killed it scares those below them and effects thier behaviour. Milia knew max was good after she fought him but before that, she was treating this challenge of kamjin's like a game, certain he was full of poo and kamjin was using his failings as an excuse for incompetence.)

I don't think milia or hikaru even relaised max's potential until others commented on it. This includes misa, Roy (who tells claudia how lucky hikaru is to have such a great pilot on his team) kakizaki etc..

All I'm saying is that max didn't get injured in the knife fight, didn't look like he was breaking a sweat against milia (even perving at her) and milia was trying her hardest! She was trying to prove she was better than humans, and had so much to lose if kamjin was right and her relaxed attidue and contempt to even suggest there was a human better than her when she views humans as being retards and makes fun of kamjin for not even being able to beat them. Max on the other hand was just naturally very skilled and didn't seem like his whole focus was set on only winning. (he didn't start his entire life being an elite soldier the way milia did)

Another thing to back this up is the fight in the resturant: max was kicking ass here too. It's not luck. He is supposed to be young and inexperienced so you can't fall back on this idea that only experience matters, some of that comes from him having a gift. (ie learns quickly, doesn't need to put in as much effort as other less gifted people need to, can think on his feet and react just as quickly etc)

Try games in general.

Sure theres proly regular aircraft simulator arcade and maybe mecha arcade games but to the macross world I doubt theres one that is both before the zentran attack.

I'm just saying, not having a VF simulator doesn't hurt as much as it seems.

Most games develop the kinds of skills a pilot needs.

Tangentally related: a recent scientific study showed that first-person shooter players are better drivers.

anyways If hikaru fought milla it would proly be a draw but it would be a mess and have milla injured. max just had that one tap at the back which she freaked out on since she hasn't been hit yet in her life.

Pfft. Millia CHOSE Max as her nemesis.

She kicked back and waited for someone to distinguish themselves.

And the great Focker was on the battlefield, but was passed up for unassuming Max.

She was just shocked that her newfound nemesis COULD hit her. Not scared. Max was her equal, maybe even better. She was prepared for something that took a little longer to gun down, not something that presented a credible threat.

plus I think global gave order to max to push the intruder out of the ship after the order to not let her in the ship and after that the order to open the mysterious roof (if the city section they was in located in the legs wouldn't the city get flooded by the water and how it open in the first place?)

I thought the city was in the "chest" area. I got the impression it had quick access to both the Daedalus and Prometheus, which means it has to be between the shoulders.

Anyways, Max was ordered to chase her out because he was the only one inside at the time.

If I recall the sequence of events correctly...

Focker orders Max out of the battle because it looks like Max, not the Macross, is the enemy target(which he was, once his skills were identified).

Max heads into an open hatch that starts to close behind him.

Millia ducks in the hatch at the last instant to continue the pursuit of her quarry.

The duel/courtship(talk about a screwed-up relationship) continues in the city.

heh funny I would think fps would bring out drivers with tunnel vision ;)

Its already known max would seperate from his air wing and fight soloist which makes it easier to spot it doesn't mean roy wasn't as good since hes giving orders and helping his comrads. for example the zebra stripes makes it hard for a preditor to single out its prey unless one is out of the pack at the time.

the city was in the legs but the military section was in the crouch part (go figure :lol: )

but the building don't look like military buildings (barracks, exchange, admin, ect...)

if i remember it misa tells roy that one seems to be after max and roy then tells him to go away from the battle and the macross since they are still loading up supplies. then milla runs into the macross so max had to chase after her.

yah the courtship was bit messed up but since it was culture shock its ok. the knife part I doubt she realy wanted to kill max she was already taken during the arcade battle.

yah the courtship was bit messed up but since it was culture shock its ok. the knife part I doubt she realy wanted to kill max she was already taken during the arcade battle.

You mean like how Klingon couples in Star Trek pummel each other before "mating"? :p