it just me or robot chicken not funny...

NERV

wendys nuggets are better, but robot chicken is crappy parody show on cartoon network, mostly claymation and barbie dolls spoofing pop culture, badly

Unfortunately, all the Wendys closed down and pulled out of Hong Kong years ago, as did Jack-in-the-box & Burger King :( .

For US fast food, all we are left with is about a gazillion McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut and a couple of branches of Hardees, but they are probably also close to closing as well.

There ends your lesson on the US fast food scene in HK for today.

Graham

Robot Chicken is mostly non sequitur and slapstick comedy, you really need to appreciate the nonsensical and the absurd to like it. Imagine a sketch comedy show crossed with Wario Ware and the 80's, then speed it up. Aside from Episode 7 wich was pretty lame, I love the show.

It's definitely hit or miss for me. So far the episodes have been pretty funny. I mean......where else can you see a breakdancing Voltron? :lol::lol::lol:

I'm keeping up the hopes that some Robotech mecha will eventually show up. :lol:

So far I've only laughed at 3 things:

-Voltron getting "served"

-Hyena, Nature's a$$hole

-That Nsyc vs the Yakuza thing, even though they had Great Mazinger doing Rocket punch, when I'm pretty sure he didn't have Rocket Punch...

from what i can tell it has 2 problems, 1 is the second sketches with characters that you know notihng of and will never see again, i bet 90% of the family guy skits wudnt be funny if they were just anonymous characters instead of griffins. 2, is they just drag the jokes on too long, the nsync thing was amusing up till the end of the training, the fight was meh, and when britney spears showed up it was just stupid, the walt disney skit, god i just wished it would end, the teen titans thing, yea, funny when B&B showed up but they dragged it out too long, plus the fact that seth green is doing so many of the voices is annoying, i could turn out something of equal quality in my basement with a few friends

Edited by NERV

But, the thing is, they did turn something out.

Still, I agree that some of the skits do go on for too long (then again, the Voltron skit was made funnier by the fact that it was so well animated, for such a lame joke that went on for too long). Most everyone I've seen the show with loved the Disney skit, too. I didn't like the Teen Titans skit at all, and the N'Sync skit was alright but nothing special. I did get a laugh out of "Enuck Chuck!" and "Bye!Bye!Bye!", though.

I disagree on the no-name characters thing, though. The Darkest Sketch Skit was hilarious.

ok i got it, good description. most of 1 second skits are like a punchline with no joke, and alot of the long skits are like a unneedly long joke not worth the punchline, im not syaing there all like that, but alot of em seem to be

Considering the show is written and done mostly by Tom Root and the guys from Toyfare magazine who do the "Big Shots" and "Twisted Mego Theater" bits all Robot Chicken is is more of the same... with with the very unfunny and annoying Seth Green in charge. And much like all those Big Shots and Twisted Mego Theaters from Toyfare, Robot Chicken is about 70% filler material... most of the jokes are stale, cheap or just downright dated or overused. The few things they do right usually either go on too long and loose a good deal of the humor they started with or they just stretch a premise way beyond the levels of humor and cross into very bad taste more often than not.

If anything, the show's machine-gun editing style actually helps it hide the fact that it has very little actual material in each episode. Most of the episodes I have seen have one or two "Twisted Mego Theater" bits, meaning sketches that last a few minutes and really stretch a premise as far as it will go (such as Kill Bunny, The N'Sync thing, Voltron being "served") and then they fill the rest of the time with those tiny two to three second "Big Shots" that for the most part are completely unfunny and are basically there to take up space. I would seriously bet their writing sessions involve them just sitting around a table and blurting stuff out and writing it all down... No fart joke, crotch punch, sex humor or barf joke left unused. Lowbrow entertainment at it's best. As a wise comic once said: if you can't be a Letterman, be a Leno.

In the end, if you have read an issue of Toyfare magazine and looked at all the little immature cartoons featuring toys doing stupid things then you have seen Robot Chicken.

I agree that episode 1 was hellaciously funny and the rest have not been as funny. However, they still make me laugh here and there. The gumball rally with all the toy cars from the 80's was pretty good. The karate kid nsync had its moments. The Jesus kill bill was a little too much for me.

I don't always get those quick edit parts. Most of them do not seem to aim at any humor. If they are, they are missing the mark by a mile. I think they could tie those shorts together a bit and actually make them interesting.

Considering the show is written and done mostly by Tom Root and the guys from Toyfare magazine who do the "Big Shots" and "Twisted Mego Theater" bits all Robot Chicken is is more of the same... with with the very unfunny and annoying Seth Green in charge. And much like all those Big Shots and Twisted Mego Theaters from Toyfare, Robot Chicken is about 70% filler material... most of the jokes are stale, cheap or just downright dated or overused.

See, the weird thing is that I actually really enjoy Twisted Mego Theatre... but I find Robot Chicken to be largely unfunny. I watched a few eps at a friend's house and there's always one funny bit amongst 8 million that just don't do anything.

The Super villain carpool got a laugh out of me.

The pentagram for calling forth the Great Pumpkin made laugh so hard it hurt.

Everything else... yawn.

I think I enjoyed the Mego Theatre more because it did attempt to build on a premise and it wasn't just a 10 second clip of a toy peeing or something. TMT actually makes me just look at old megos and laugh... whereas Robot Chicken I think is waaaaay too scattershot and trying to be less in-jokey. Some of the TMT stuff really requires a pretty thorough knowledge of toys and comic fandom. Robot Chicken seems to be trying to be more accessible. Thus, it fails.

Robot Chicken isn't funny.

The insane cuts and all the short clips are just people smacking each other around and there is no creativity in it at all.

AND YOU KNOW WHY???

It's because they aren't spending the time and effort to write good sequences as was done on "Sweet J Presents".

Many RC fans know that Seth Green's first stop-motion toy animation project was Sweet J Presents which is 100x superior to Robot Chicken. In fact, if you go back and watch Sweet J, you'll see that all the good sequences in Robot Chicken are recycled storylines from Sweet J.

Sweet J had awesome episodes that were just long narratives. You have an entire episode about the Justice League living in a reality TV show apartment for an entire episode...or you have an entire episode about "The Bible - EXTREME!", or the first episode which was all about Conon O'Brian going to a sci-fi convention with Seth.

It was great. Robot Chicken, I don't understand why it's so jumpy all the time and lacks all creativity whatsoever!

Nobody should judge Robot Chicken before seeing Sweet J Presents. That show is 100x better and had practically all the same staff so I don't understand what went wrong besides perhaps the rigours of producing a weekly series.

Edited by ComicKaze

Robot Chicken isn't funny.

The insane cuts and all the short clips are just people smacking each other around and there is no creativity in it at all.

AND YOU KNOW WHY???

It's because they aren't spending the time and effort to write good sequences as was done on "Sweet J Presents".

Many RC fans know that Seth Green's first stop-motion toy animation project was Sweet J Presents which is 100x superior to Robot Chicken. In fact, if you go back and watch Sweet J, you'll see that all the good sequences in Robot Chicken are recycled storylines from Sweet J.

Sweet J had awesome episodes that were just long narratives. You have an entire episode about the Justice League living in a reality TV show apartment for an entire episode...or you have an entire episode about "The Bible - EXTREME!", or the first episode which was all about Conon O'Brian going to a sci-fi convention with Seth.

It was great. Robot Chicken, I don't understand why it's so jumpy all the time and lacks all creativity whatsoever!

Nobody should judge Robot Chicken before seeing Sweet J Presents. That show is 100x better and had practically all the same staff so I don't understand what went wrong besides perhaps the rigours of producing a weekly series.

actually, i have a friend that worked on that show doing the animation. The reason why it's so sporadic is because none of it is episodic. After all the sequences are done, they are taken and edited into an episode...

so it's not like EPISODE 1 was written and the best. it's a mix of random stuff from the beginning of production towards teh mid of production.

probably what they did is put all the good stuff in the first ep, and slowly cram all the poorer or left over stuff towards the end of the show.

it's a pain in the butt to animate toys that can't stand - you gotta break em apart and rebuild an armiture for it... then use a lot of hotglue to make sure they stand. let alone that, there's exec decisions that screws up stuff... sigh... i know this first hand :(

edit to add: yeah, Adult Swim actually doesn't spend the time for good writing - i can't really tell you how long production took to make RC (i dont want to get in trouble), but it was short.

Edited by al0324

Robot Chicken is the funniest TV show ever! You can't beat it! Anybody who thinks otherwise is stupid, an idiot, doesn't know what he's talking about... a snob...

Now you know how I feel when people praise stupid movies to no end. <_<

Different strokes for different folks. There's only been a couple episodes of Robot Chicken that I didn't think were absolute comedy gold, and many of my friends disagreed with me there, and didn't like the skits that are among my favourites.

Overall, the show is a very specific brand of humour, so it's not surprising that there are people who don't like it.

Funniest thing so far... "Zombie Idol", when Ving Rhames shoots Teri Hatcher after she mentions Radioshack. Next funniest, when the zombie of Kurt Cobain takes the shotgun from Ving and proceeds to blow his own head off... again! LOL!

I'll admit that most of it is kinda blah, but hey, it's like 11 minutes to just let your brain take a time-out. I'll continue to watch because I really don't have anything better to do during those 11 minutes of my late Sunday evenings. Honestly, where else can you see Leonard Nimoy pull an Indiana Jones on a geek in a Darth Maul costume? Simply tune in and laugh... occasionally.

The Darkest Sketch Skit was hilarious.

??

maybe I was a little inhebriated at the time... but it really did qualify as the darkest sketch ever. I could see that bit turned into a movie like four rooms :lol:

Some of it drags. I thought the voltron thing exceptionally stupid myself, but loved the great pumpkin vs the kite eating tree.I guess like south park... if you give it enough time they will mock something you know.

Funniest thing so far... "Zombie Idol", when Ving Rhames shoots Teri Hatcher after she mentions Radioshack. Next funniest, when the zombie of Kurt Cobain takes the shotgun from Ving and proceeds to blow his own head off... again! LOL!

That's all I've ever seen of this show and so far I'm not interested. A shame too cuz some alumni created it.