MW Significant Others Thread

So, recently my girlfriend has started to cross the line between just being supportive of my habits (i.e. an enabler) to helping me actively pursue them (i.e. a pusher). For example, I was having a rough day yesterday, only to learn that she had made me a gift. She gives me that gift in the form of a pencil sketch of the RX-78 Gundam, which looks pretty good considering her artistic background and the fact that she doesn't like Gundam or robots in general. And today I get a call saying that she's at Wal Mart and has found, not one, but two of the Transformers Alternators I had been looking for, then proceeded to hide them so we could go retrieve them later! So, I just want to throw out a big thank you to all the ladies (or gentlemen) in our lives that support us and don't mind the fact that we're grown men who shop for toys. I'd also like to hear stories from other MWers on the subject, you know, before I go make that "Ladies <3 Giant Robots" t-shirt.

Not a bad thread idea, but I think its beyond the scope of "Other Anime or Science Fiction."

My GF loves me even though I am a total pain in the ass! All the screaming at the sky, offering to buy the souls of hobos on the street, the telling the kid at Starbucks he needs to "stop being such a girlie man and go to the gym," the political t-shirts I wear, the insane amount of food I eat (4500 calories). Lets face it, none of these things are endeering, but she loves me anyway.

Skippy438,

You have chosen a very cool thread to start, Kudos.

Well, last year my wife bought me my first 1/48 (1J Hikaru with Super Packs), and throughout the rest of the year she has purchased about 20 more valks (of various scales).

This year she has already set aside a fund to purchase for me as a gift, on my B-day:

- 1/48 GBP

- 1/100 Koenig Monster

- 1/48 Roy (third edition)

- 1/48 Strike Pack (for Roy)

- and who knows what other things she (yes, she) has in mind.

My wife is my everything. I love her whole-heartedly, and I appreciate everything she does for me. I can never say I could ever be whole with out her.

:)

you guys are lucky, all i get from my GF is headaches and blow j.....

whoops! wrong forum. ;):lol:

Blow Job, is a term you can say on TV, so I think you can say it here.

whoops! wrong forum.  

Aren't headaches and B...J...s the same? ;):lol:

the head on my shoulders is for thinking, the one between my legs is for leading. :p

haterist...thanks for the new quote :D:lol:

whoops!  wrong forum.  ;)  :lol:

What network have you been watching!?! :o

Well, I seem to be in the VLB set (Very Lucky Bastards).

My GF not only is my best friend, my lover... but also my ally on this 'big-robot-i'm-not-compensating-anything' thing. She encouraged me to buy my first 1/48 (let's say she afford the money for me just because she new how much I liked it, and also MP Prime, my 1/60 collection... :D

So, rebe, if you're reading this (she is sometimes a lurker), I<3U ^_^

(please, guys, don't get too annoyed with me).

Manu

My GF is pretty understanding. After seeing all the unopened toy boxes crammed in my closet and not bolting for the hills she would have to be. She helped organize my collections by getting me a curio display case and an awesome bookshelf that houses my entire 4K+ comic collection. She even read the entire Sin City series (all 7 tpbs) before watching the movie!

My fiancee is the absolute best. I remember the first time I knew she was going to come over to my place, I 'cleaned up' quite a few toys (hid them is more like it) and really toned down my collection so it wasn't so overwhelming. Upon entering my room she saw some Transformers and commented how she loved Voltron when she was a kid and always wanted the toy. You should have seen her eyes light up when I told her I had one. :)

She's gorgeous, smart, funny, a tomboy, loves toys and shares my dislike of diamonds and gold. Summed up in one word: perfect. :)

My wife sometimes complains a bit about me spending sooooo much money on toys, but on the other hand she is allways buying me more.

She got me the PG Zaku, PG GP 01, MG Nu Gundam, etc. and several action figures (I lost count).

She allways shows a lot of interest in my models and toys, last time she went on a trip (3 months trip) I was amazed how she recogniced all my new toys, I even hide them on my shelfs. Well, I made a short "business trip" to HK :ph34r: while she was away.

All I can say is I have the greatest wife in the world, I dont deserve such beauty.

My wife has never really been that supportive of my toy collecting, but neither has she been against it either.

If there is a toy that I really like, my wife has always said "if it's something you really want, then I don't mind you buying it".

However, in the past 5 years, my collection has grown and grown (mainly due to Yamato), to the point where I don't have enough space in my small house for all my toys, and I've had to start storing the overflow of toys (6 cartons worth) at the office :D .

However, we're at the stage where my wife is starting to bitch and moan (bitch being the opperative word...yes we had an argument this morning :angry: ) about downsizing my collection, especially as our 10 month old baby is very mobile and needs more space.

Graham

My wife has never really been that supportive of my toy collecting, but neither has she been against it either.

If there is a toy that I really like, my wife has always said "if it's something you really want, then I don't mind you buying it".

However, in the past 5 years, my collection has grown and grown (mainly due to Yamato), to the point where I don't have enough space in my small house for all my toys, and I've had to start storing the overflow of toys (6 cartons worth) at the office  .

However, we're at the stage where my wife is starting to bitch and moan (bitch being the opperative word...yes we had an argument this morning  ) about downsizing my collection, especially as our 10 month old baby is very mobile and needs more space.

Graham

Yeah. Same case here, bro. Kudos for Eriku and Sebastian. :rolleyes:

whoops! wrong forum. ;):lol:

Wouldn't you rather get blowjobs than toys anyways? I know I wouldn't, but that's just me...

Guest Bromgrev

My wife comes in very handy when trawling the model shops. She's way more observant than I am, and has spotted many a rare old kit hidden away behind the latest stack of Gundams. The latest was the old 1/200 Nichimoco Regult Scout.

The fact that she loves anime as much as I do might have something to do with it. On the downside, she has begun nagging me to actually start building some of those robots ... :p

whoops!  wrong forum.  ;)  :lol:

What network have you been watching!?! :o

They say "Blow Job" on Oprah, yes if I am home early I watch Oprah with my GF.

My ex who was a WONDERFUL girlfriend at the time bought me a 1/72 VF-1J Battroid for my b-day and I didn't bug her about it really. I just said "Wow, I remember that thing! Never did get it though, I was pretty young when those were around in hobby stores."

So like the good asian girlie she was...........................................................................................SHE BUGGED HER DADDY FOR THE CREDIT CARD! :lol:

Sadly I didn't see that model for 2 months and by then we had broken up due to her uuuuhhhhh....well I'd rather not say it was just stupid.

But yeah, she was the only Girlfriend who ever got me something I actually wanted. <_< have I ever mentioned I HATE it when they get me cards? Cheap sob's.

OH yeah.....current girlfriend, whose like 8 years older then me.................she laughs at me for having such hobbies.........damn her.

Edited by Hikuro

My wife lets me spend money on toys, games, etc. because she spends money on her own junk. She doesn't really have any interest in any of my stuff but is glad that it makes me happy. I was worried that I would be cut off after having kids but that's not the case. However, they are only 1 now and share one bedroom. If they want separate bedrooms when they get older, I will no longer have space for me collection. I doubt my wife will be as supportive if they living room or bedroom is filled with robot toys. :( I will probably have to get one of those storage sheds and setup shop in the backyard.

Graham, lol you sound like a buddy of mine at work. His house is full of toys and his wife gives him a hard time about it. His office is full of more toys that she doesn't know about.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure Oprah wasn't one of the things that is "best in life"... Crom might be angry with such girlie ways, A1.

Of course, Oprah can talk about whatever she wants but if Howard Stern says fart he gets fined a million dollars. Silly FCC.

My wife has always been cool about my toys... since we moved in together the rule's always been that I keep my toys, computer and guitars in my space (office) and she can do whatever the hell else she wants with decorating the rest of the house.

As far as anime goes - she loves Miyatake, enjoyed Akira and GITS - but she's not really into watching anything longer than a few hours. I keep trying to get her to watch Evangelion and she always says, "is that the one I saw 10 minutes with that Minmay chick?"

She's quite open to enjoying geek entertainment and she's a voracious reader - but she draws the line at anything resembling supergeekdom. No cosplay, no wall art, etc. Closet geek, as it were. I dig that about her.

the woman doesn't buy me much in the ways of macross but its because i tell her not to. she knows enough about the macross show/movie but not enough about the toys that she wouldn't get ripped off or just buy something i already have. for her, looking at valks is like me looking at her shoes.....they all look the same. :D

the one thing she is supportive of is my lego hobby. if she finds a good deal or something on sale, she calls me and asks if she should pick it up for me. now she claims its for me but i know its cause she likes to play with lego too. i've caught her a few times messing around with my ninja sets, hye-yah-ing while shes chopping off lego heads. :p

i can't say i love her yet, but i'm very much in like with her. :)

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure Oprah wasn't one of the things that is "best in life"... Crom might be angry with such girlie ways, A1.

Yes, but CROM approves of Beaver.

My wife is actually really understanding of my collecting. She's a collector too (My Little Ponies). So while neither of us really gets ga ga over helping the other find things, we are very supportive of them getting it. We have agreed along time ago that as long as certain spending doesn't dip into the family finances, then it okay. If I want to go ape poo over an expensive toy (like a 1/48 for example) I need to come up with the $ myself by selling other members of my collection usually.

And too boot, her collection dwarfs mine We recently did an inventory to up our insurance and she is at over $11,000 in ponies :blink::blink::blink::blink:

I forgot that my girlfriend is trying to get up the nerve to cosplay. Keep in mind, niether of us has ever been to any anime convention, or any convention in general. I'm trying to get that Milia thing going ;)

please call 800-i-need-help.

hes psychotherapist and comes highly recommended.

just tell him hater sent you and he'll hook it up. :lol:

Recently I found myself hiding new toys from her. Not that she hates my geekdom, it's just that she moved to my apartment recently and we have so little space. I have my Millenium Falcon and my AT-AT sitting on the living room and she want's sort of a "lounge" style decoration were the Star Wars elements don't fit. Poor thing, I'm beginning to understand her now.

Anyway. What she DOES hate are my gashapons. For her it's just cheap trash collecting dust.

Yeah, if it wasnt for my lovely bride to be I would never had heard of or cared for anime.... :o Ok not anime but this anime:

Chobits, DigiCharat, Azumanga Daioh, Ramna 1/2, Dragonball & Love Hina. :lol:

Far cry from my Macross, Southern Cross, Initial D, Akira, yadda yadda yadda, basically your blow em up, crash em up, mess em up flicks and series that dominate my anime collection...

Edited by Zor Primus

However, we're at the stage where my wife is starting to bitch and moan (bitch being the opperative word...yes we had an argument this morning :angry: ) about downsizing my collection, especially as our 10 month old baby is very mobile and needs more space.

Graham

That doesn't sound like bitching to me if you have a baby in the house. <_< In fact it would benefit your stuff as well as the child's safety. Don't want the kid picking up a VF and sticking a landing wheel in his mouth and who knows what else that can be choked on. I hope you got a garage or another space you can expand to.

I originally was going to laugh at some fo you and that this thread is such a dork topic but I see this is really "special" topic to some of you.......

However, we're at the stage where my wife is starting to bitch and moan (bitch being the opperative word...yes we had an argument this morning  :angry: ) about downsizing my collection, especially as our 10 month old baby is very mobile and needs more space.

Graham

That doesn't sound like bitching to me if you have a baby in the house. <_< In fact it would benefit your stuff as well as the child's safety. Don't want the kid picking up a VF and sticking a landing wheel in his mouth and who knows what else that can be choked on. I hope you got a garage or another space you can expand to.

I originally was going to laugh at some fo you and that this thread is such a dork topic but I see this is really "special" topic to some of you.......

I was thinkin the same thing Jem...

Graham,

I am siddin with your wife... I've seen pictures of your collection, its turbo crazy.