What is lying on your workbench?

Here's pics of the other two tomcats on my bench (or on the bench I had before I moved, lol)

This first kit is the Revell/Monogram F-14A. I originally had intentions to build it as a TARPS jet (you can see the Hasegawa TARPS pod in the back I intended to use). But since the VF-84 decals I have to use are from the late 70s (before TARPS pods were even invented), I've decided to build it as "Victory 210" from "The Final Countdown". After this pic was taken, I had to go back and re-paint the horizontal stabs (if you watch in the movie, they have gull grey h-stabs). Haven't had much time to work on this one lately

100_0890.jpg

This second kit is the Fujimi 1/48 F-14 "Super Tomcat" prototype kit (such that it is). A lot of work was done to add on to this kit and it's far from done. The entire beavertail was shortened (before it stuck out waaay too far), I re-scribed the engine fairings to be correct for GE engines, and I mounted an IR/TCS dual chinpod (out of a revell/monogram kit) to make this kit represent 157986 as it was in the very late 1980s as the F-14A+ prototype(when they first began IR/TCS chinpod testing, but before it was re-classified as the D prototype) It's still got a ways to go before it's finished.

100_0894.jpg

FANTASTIC!! :D

Very nice - that's exactly what I wanted to do, right beside the VF-0S!

It looks great - maybe the panel wash is a little on the dark side for the non-moveable surfaces - but you did a fantastic job with the kit. I hope to build mine some day.

Thanks for sharing GunnerX (how about one with all three together, F-14, VF-0 & VF-1S)

Now you've got to get a F-18F and a F-4 with the Jolly Rogers :p (never ends...)

p.s. you know there's a new Eduard photo-etched set out for the Hase F-14 that includes PE parts for the ends of the missle racks that shows the exposed launch rails - very cool indeed.

Edited by wm cheng

FANTASTIC!! :D

Very nice - that's exactly what I wanted to do, right beside the VF-0S!

It looks great - maybe the panel wash is a little on the dark side for the non-moveable surfaces - but you did a fantastic job with the kit. I hope to build mine some day.

Thanks for sharing GunnerX (how about one with all three together, F-14, VF-0 & VF-1S)

Now you've got to get a F-18F and a F-4 with the Jolly Rogers :p (never ends...)

p.s. you know there's a new Eduard photo-etched set out for the Hase F-14 that includes PE parts for the ends of the missle racks that shows the exposed launch rails - very cool indeed.

Thanks master cheng!

Temptation... no..... must... not.... start.... Jolly Rogers... lineup! :D

*sigh* Can't get any F-14 parts over here.. :( The best i could get were the

ejection seats.... or stuff from HLJ... yeah, would be nice to really uber-detail

it up! I'll save it for my next 14! ;)

Haven't added the missiles yet! Dunno if i should put the sparrow.... does the NAVY/USAF still use those?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, the pics I took of my Aestivalis came out blurred. I have some left of film from AX, so I'll take a few more shots with a camera I'm more used to using. Once those get developed, I'll post them.

Then I need a new project.

Well, the SV is finally done.

finaltqfront.jpg

There will be a build-up article on this for Starship Modeler. Enjoy.

Great photography as well Kylwell, what was your setup for that pic (background, lighting, etc...)

310156[/snapback]

I've got a large light-table that seconds as a second workbench & a chunk of wall I keep open for taking pictures. As far as lighting goes (the photographers in the bunch are going to freak) I've got a couple of fluorescent lights off to the right. They're all daylight D50 lights so the light temp is ok, then I neutralize the color shift in Photoshop. I use a Sony DSC-F828, set the aperture as tight as possible (for maximum depth of field) and tripod mounted it. Think the zoom was set at about 40mm.

And thanks everybody. This was months in the making. Largely learning how to properly print decals with an ink-jet printer. And building all the decals in Illustrator (which may be available in the near future).

I'd love to see the ladder they use to climb in this thing. The cockpit edge is 3 meters off the ground!

They don't need ladders the pilots have magic anime jump capabilities. :lol:

Great photography as well Kylwell, what was your setup for that pic (background, lighting, etc...)

310156[/snapback]

I'd love to see the ladder they use to climb in this thing. The cockpit edge is 3 meters off the ground!

310217[/snapback]

Alot of my modeling is on hold for the time being. Im still doing little projects but i dont want to get started into anything to big. Reason being? I have a 1/6 scale Tiger 1 On the way. I will need all my bench(and floor) space for te assembly of this sucker. Il keep Yall posted on the progress once i get the kit in. YES i did Say 1/6 scale. That is around 3 1/2 feet long x 2 1/2 feet wide :D Heres a sample of the kit on order.

post-2293-1121292391_thumb.gif

Edited by HWR MKII

heres 2 of the little projects i have been working on

A Sdkfz. 251 series halftrack and another 251 series halftrack with "Stuka Zu Fuss" rockets on it. This new camera is perfect too :D

post-2293-1121295560_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1121295610_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1121295632_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

was months in the making. Largely learning how to properly print decals with an ink-jet printer. And building all the decals in Illustrator (which may be available in the near future).

Do I hear an offer to replicate your decals? Hmmmm? For a nice price? Hmmm? :p

310273[/snapback]

Actually you may see them in production soon. Along with a number of other alternative decals for the SV.

Damn HWR MKII. A 1/6 Tiger. Where will you place it. I have the same Stuka Zu Fuss in my collection somewhere. I'm catologing all my model kits and I'm shocked on how many kits I have.

My work bench is getting busy again now I'm back from sea. I have a Hasegawa VF-1S Super Battroid and a VF-1 Battroid, the 1/1400 Starcraft Jem Hader Battle Cruiser, a 1/72 Legioss Tread, and I'm attempting to build a 1/20000 Zentran Scout Ship.

HOLY CRAP Kylwell i didnt even see the SV. Thats amazing. How much of the finish is decal and how much is paint? You all have done alot of good work while the site was down lets see some more.

Neptunesurvey.

I should go make a list of what i still have to work on but i think it would be easier to take a pic or 2 of it :D Im trying to get some of my smaller, quicker armor out of the way. Next thing to do is to put more mud on my Zu Fuss for the tracks.

BTW for all you german armor modelers out there the DML 3in1 halftrack kits come with 2 sets of workable tracks. 1 late style and one early. I used my spare set from my nightvision equiped 251 on the Stuka Zu Fuss. They are way better than the tamiya rubber bands. If your careful glueing the track parts together they are fully workable.

Mud is done . Check out the sag on these tracks. The benefit of link by link construction. I made the mud out of a mix of acrylic artists texture paste mixed to my liking with Tamiya XF62 olive drab. The paste is like thick white paint so it lightens the OD to a great mud khaki color.

post-2293-1121303282_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1121303310_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1121303335_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Mud is done . Check out the sag on these tracks. The benefit of link by link construction. I made the mud out of a mix of acrylic artists texture paste mixed to my liking with Tamiya XF62 olive drab. The paste is like thick white paint so it lightens the OD to a great mud khaki color.

310398[/snapback]

That's awesome!! :o

Thx HWR, that halftrack is looking good.

Oh, the camo is all paint. Custom black & Polish decals.

And no, I din't go insane masking the camo...just close.

Edited by Kylwell

Thanks Vice and Kylwell. The next step is to finish up the nightvision equipped 251 and setup a scene where this halftrack is providing fire support to a Nachtjager infantry unit as they try to fight through a severely bombed out prussian city. i almost went insane glueing those tracks together and now i have to do it again for the other halftrack :blink::huh::blink:

Edited by HWR MKII

Heres the night vision equiped one. The night vision gear are the telescope looking pieces which recieve reflected infrared light transmited from the 3 spotlights on the front. Those of you who have seen Jin Roh have seen a decent example of this. The equipment would display this in red to the viewer.

Another thing i did was adjust some of the suspension arms to give the vehicle a more interactive look with the groundwork. Tamiya didnt suply individual arms in their older AFV kits but DML does.

post-2293-1121345832_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1121345850_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1121345871_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1121345890_thumb.jpg

The Germans had night vision in WWII? :o

Heres the night vision equiped one. The night vision gear are the telescope looking pieces which recieve reflected infrared light transmited from the 3 spotlights on the front. Those of you who have seen Jin Roh  have seen a decent example of this. The equipment would display this in red to the viewer.

Another thing i did was adjust some of the suspension arms to give the vehicle a more interactive look with the groundwork. Tamiya didnt suply individual arms in their older AFV kits but DML does.

310632[/snapback]