I heard this about Mac 2.....

the reason Macross II is an "Alternate Reality"(not to mention it's the only Macross series not done by Studio Nue) is the UN forces didn't branch out into space in Megaroad Colony ships. Instead, they stayed in our solar system to rebuild the Earth. Is it true? :blink:

the reason Macross II is an "Alternate Reality"(not to mention it's the only Macross series not done by Studio Nue) is the UN forces didn't branch out into space in Megaroad Colony ships. Instead, they stayed in our solar system to rebuild the Earth. Is it true? :blink:

The topic is never discussed in Macross 2. So maybe yes, maybe no.

Fantastic. I watched it with my 9 year old bro and HE loved it :lol: I thought it was great... The story line isn't too complex so i see it as a good seguay into teh other stuff. I like the animation alot too, and the mecha desgins. Mac+ is still my fav tho, but I liked Mac2 over DYRL.

My understanding is that MacII was stricken from the continuity because it was not Kawamori Approved, so when he came back to work on new Macross shows, he completely ignored it and just did his own thing.

My understanding is that MacII was stricken from the continuity because it was not Kawamori Approved, so when he came back to work on new Macross shows, he completely ignored it and just did his own thing.

Also Mikimoto was completely against it but the executives strong armed him into it. Mikimoto has voiced his opinion on this and other Macross matters before.

Also Mikimoto was completely against it but the executives strong armed him into it. Mikimoto has voiced his opinion on this and other Macross matters before.

Mikimoto was the character designer and art director...did he have much authority to be for or against any of the projects? Actually I didn't imagine Hory Froating Head had that much authority as well until the current "no yamato toys situation".

That's likely, I mean you'd expect the UN to call in reinforcements from the colonies if they knew they couldn't hold back the Marduk. Though on the other hand Earth could have tried to keep the colonies out of it to hide them from the Marduk.

Macross II is a "parallel universe" show because its producers failed to follow much of the Macross continuity that came before ti, not acknowledging the colony fleets was just one of many errors.

The lack of mention of colony fleets doesn't mean they are or aren't there. What bugs me is the different insignia and the destruction of much of the Alus Nova ship SDF-1. Still enjoyable none the less.

As for continuity i doubt Kawamori cared much about it...just look at Macross Zero...completely different in feel from its "sequels" IMO.

Macross Zero doesn't break any set continuty put forth by any of the shows that follow it, though. A different 'feel' isn't exactly grounds for crying foul on the timeline.

Macross 2 on the other hand completely ignores the Protoculture and the Supervision Army subplots that arise from time to time in both the tv series and DYRL?, and instead the Marduk are invented in their place.

Macross Zero doesn't break any set continuty put forth by any of the shows that follow it, though. A different 'feel' isn't exactly grounds for crying foul on the timeline.

Macross 2 on the other hand completely ignores the Protoculture and the Supervision Army subplots that arise from time to time in both the tv series and DYRL?, and instead the Marduk are invented in their place.

In Macross Zero wasn't Protoculture being researched by UN scientists but in SDF Macross the humans didn't hear that term until Hikaru, Misa, Hayao, and Max were captured by the Zentradei.

The question is, was it ever stated in either SDF or DYRL? that humans had never heard of the term before? Seems open enough, especially given the nature of Macross Zero. It's possibly out of that group, only Roy had heard the term before. Possibly even Misa knew and was more surpised of the context when it came up.

It's one of those things that reeks of "retcon", but doesn't actually contradict anything that has been said or shown in the previous canon material.

The question is, was it ever stated in either SDF or DYRL? that humans had never heard of the term before? Seems open enough, especially given the nature of Macross Zero. It's possibly out of that group, only Roy had heard the term before. Possibly even Misa knew and was more surpised of the context when it came up.

It's one of those things that reeks of "retcon", but doesn't actually contradict anything that has been said or shown in the previous canon material.

In M0, "Protoculture" was a theory and one that wasn't widely accepted or widely spread. This is why, by SDFM, many people have not heard the term or are somewhat puzzled by it.

Everything was kept secret just like how the vf1 wasn't widely known to transform to the public or how the aliens might be giants.

The vf1 and maybe a few other planes might be like an area 51 thing where all the cool stuff remains hidden underground and the testing for the transforming machines might be in a heavily guarded restricted area. Who knows? There may even be other VF craft other than the anti-un sv51 mechs and VF0? I wonder if un spacy could have easily used the octos to fight and detect the submerged zentradi regults in the early eps of the tv series. :)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Macross II will probably end up being most famous (or infamous) for being the inspiration behind Macross 7. Unfortunately, Kawamori's version wasn't anywhere near as good as the original, and that's not saying much.

Macross II will probably end up being most famous (or infamous) for being the inspiration behind Macross 7. Unfortunately, Kawamori's version wasn't anywhere near as good as the original, and that's not saying much.

Er, where'd you get that from? has Kawamori ever stated that Macross 7 was influenced by Macross II, or let alone, that he's even SEEN Macross II?

Er, where'd you get that from? has Kawamori ever stated that Macross 7 was influenced by Macross II, or let alone, that he's even SEEN Macross II?

He just posts that whenever Macross II is being talked about to get a rise out of people. Take no notice.

You have seen both Macross II and Macross 7, correct?

He just posts that whenever Macross II is being talked about to get a rise out of people. Take no notice.

I post it because its true. Anyone who has seen both can tell you that, its glaringly obvious.

I post it because its true. Anyone who has seen both can tell you that, its glaringly obvious.

Kawamori must be a psychic then, since he's never even seen Macross II.

Animerica: In Macross II, the mothership gets destroyed. What happens after that?

Kawamori: I haven't watched Macross II. [LAUGHS] So, when it comes to Macross II, "No comment." If I watch it, I know I'll want to comment on it, y'know...?

From an interview with Takashi Oshiguchi, dated 1995. Can be found in Animerica's 'Anime Interviews' book.

7 blew away II, end of story. As for similarities, they're few & far between, most of them can be written off as being based off of the same source.

As for the Protoculture, you can be damned sure the U.N. Spacy knew about them. That was one of the great plot points of Macross. Misa & Global go to the brass bringing them revelations that will awe & change their focus on the war. What do they get instead? "Yeah we know, which is why we have to give them a big show of force, they'll respect us for it."

The incident with the APHOS could easily be misconstrued that way by militant minded people. "It attacked us, so we shot some nukes at it, and it ran away."

7 blew away II, end of story. As for similarities, they're few & far between, most of them can be written off as being based off of the same source.

As for the Protoculture, you can be damned sure the U.N. Spacy knew about them. That was one of the great plot points of Macross. Misa & Global go to the brass bringing them revelations that will awe & change their focus on the war. What do they get instead? "Yeah we know, which is why we have to give them a big show of force, they'll respect us for it."

The incident with the APHOS could easily be misconstrued that way by militant minded people. "It attacked us, so we shot some nukes at it, and it ran away."

Matter of opinion there Keith.... As for that comment someone else made about Kawamori...so it's a known fact that Kawamori has never seen II at all? I seriously doubt he hasn't watched it yet...after all these years. Whatever you all say though.

As for that comment someone else made about Kawamori...so it's a known fact that Kawamori has never seen II at all? I seriously doubt he hasn't watched it yet...after all these years. Whatever you all say though.

Yes, according to Kawamori himself as of 1995, he had yet to watch Macross II. I'm guessing that if he had yet to watch Macross II by then, he probably hasn't since. He's a busy guy, and I doubt he really cares enough to watch it.

As for that comment someone else made about Kawamori...so it's a known fact that Kawamori has never seen II at all?  I seriously doubt he hasn't watched it yet...after all these years.  Whatever you all say though.

Yes, according to Kawamori himself as of 1995, he had yet to watch Macross II. I'm guessing that if he had yet to watch Macross II by then, he probably hasn't since. He's a busy guy, and I doubt he really cares enough to watch it.

Wow, and interview 10 years ago. Its amazing how he repeated many of the same ideas AND music in Macross 7 that were in Macross II.

Obviously he had no clue where they came from!

As for that comment someone else made about Kawamori...so it's a known fact that Kawamori has never seen II at all?  I seriously doubt he hasn't watched it yet...after all these years.  Whatever you all say though.

That's the same sense I get, concerning Kawamori and Mac II.

I mean it's not like he cares much about the older shows and Valkyrie styles. That's probably one of the reasons there won't be a remake of SDF Macross.

Again, this is my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong. About the remake, I mean.

Wow, and interview 10 years ago. Its amazing how he repeated many of the same ideas AND music in Macross 7 that were in Macross II.

Damn dude, you're right. Kawamori obviously has no idea what he's talking about, glad you're on the case to sort things out!

:rolleyes:

Seriously dude, he said he never watched Macross II, he has legitimate reasons for not watching it, what else do you need?

EDIT: Also, keep in mind Kawamori was not directly responsible for everything in Macross 7. By the time Macross 7 started production, he was invovled in Macross Plus. The individual scripts were not written by him and the episodes were not directed by him. That certainly explains the use of Macross II music (they needed BGM to fill in an episode, pulled it from the music they had rights to).

Edited by yellowlightman

Ahem...

back to the topic of colonies..

I do believe its a colony ship Million Stars that gets attacked by the Neld Space Fleet some 2 light yrs from Earth (cant remember, I'll check on that later). From this conflict, which the UN Spacy participates, they capture another Factory Satellite and gain the technical plans for the VF-XX Zentran Valkyrie Prototype. This also leads them to upgrade from the old VF-1 Refit Series to the VF-2 Series.

Ahem...

back to the topic of colonies..

I do believe its a colony ship Million Stars that gets attacked by the Neld Space Fleet some 2 light yrs from Earth (cant remember, I'll check on that later). From this conflict, which the UN Spacy participates, they capture another Factory Satellite and gain the technical plans for the VF-XX Zentran Valkyrie Prototype. This also leads them to upgrade from the old VF-1 Refit Series to the VF-2 Series.

Did this happen in the Mac 2 RPG? Sounds pretty cool.

Damn dude, you're right. Kawamori obviously has no idea what he's talking about, glad you're on the case to sort things out!

:rolleyes:

Seriously dude, he said he never watched Macross II, he has legitimate reasons for not watching it, what else do you need?

EDIT: Also, keep in mind Kawamori was not directly responsible for everything in Macross 7. By the time Macross 7 started production, he was invovled in Macross Plus. The individual scripts were not written by him and the episodes were not directed by him. That certainly explains the use of Macross II music (they needed BGM to fill in an episode, pulled it from the music they had rights to).

I once gave a friend of mine a copy of my Macross II OST Vol. 2 CD to listen to. A lot of the songs he didn't even care for...even the more memorable ones. Untill after he saw Macross II, he appreciated the songs more. I guess what I'm saying here is that the songs held very little meaning to him until after he saw what they were 'relating' to (for lack of better words). And I can see how that can be. Now with music and song being a very key factor in all of Macross...I don't see how Kawamori would want any music from anywhere that didn't mean anything to him. ...Anyone would be a fool not to see that music plays a huge factor in Kawamori's world. Anyway....that's my thought on all of that...my 2 cents...yea.

Edit: Changed "You'd" to "Anyone would."

Edited by Oihan

Now with music and song being a very key factor in all of Macross...I don't see how Kawamori would want any music from anywhere that didn't mean anything to him. ...Anyone would be a fool not to see that music plays a huge factor in Kawamori's world. Anyway....that's my thought on all of that...my 2 cents...yea.

What I was saying is that it likely wasn't kawamori who chose to put Macross II music in Macross 7, since his involvement was limited during the production phase.