Newbie Questions on Macross

What do you think of that? What is the source?

2053年 11月

地球統合軍と移民船團との自治權獨立戰爭の停戰條約締結。冷戰狀態となるが,文化交流は存在していく。

2057年

8月

移民惑星と地球統合軍の間で軍事的緊張が再び高まる。

2053 November

The U. N.Government Freezes the movement of colonization and accessions to autonomy. He is being a real cold war between worlds but cultural exchanges continue to take place.

2057 August

New rising tensions between colonized planets and the Government of the United Nations of the Earth.

2053年 11月

2057年

8月

2053 November

The U. N.Government Freezes the movement of colonization and accessions to autonomy. He is being a real cold war between worlds but cultural exchanges continue to take place.

2057 August

New rising tensions between colonized planets and the Government of the United Nations of the Earth.

Wow if this is official there wasn't a civil war, but the colonial alliance (for want of an official term) did split after the events of VF-X2, either directly or indirectly. I wonder how that will affect Frontier, if at all?

Not necessarily. It only means that that 37 Long Range Emmigration missions were launched, with no indication of any or all of the Megaroad class ships being reused in a subsequent mission.

It must be kept in mind that the end goal of a Long Range Emmigration mission is to find a planet to colonize and not end up wandering the galaxy aimlessly...

Edited by sketchley

The Macross 7 is the seventh New Macross Class vessel and it is part of the 37th long-distance colonization fleet.

The Macross 25 is the twenty fifth New Macross Class vessel and it's fleet is called Frontier.

It might be best to wait for the Macross Chronicle.

Why? Official dates are official.

The Macross VF-X 2 chronology: (I need to join scans from the game manual??)

events with "*" are not in the manual and needs investigation.

April

The miclone Zentradi Timothy Daldanton enters in the UN Forces.

January 5

Gilliam Angreat born.

November

The second lieutenant Timothy Daldanton is captain of the defense units of the colonization fleet en route to the planet Eden.

November 10

Wilbur Garland born.

October 12

Aegis Focker born.

April 29

Suzie Newtlet born.

April 16

Manfred Brando born.

*On Volcan, the third planet in the Sharma system, end of the process of environment improving for future colonization

November

Timothy Daldanton is decorated for shooting down over 50 enemy aircraft during the 2nd Battle of Macross city.

*End of the emigration on planet Volcan.

Gilliam Angreat graduated from the school of the Air Force of the UN Spacy.

Wilbur Garland diplômé du centre d'entraînement des chasseurs nouvelle génération des U.N.Forces.

Wilbur Garland graduated from the training center for next generation of UN Forces fighters. (translation not sure)

Gilliam Angreat joins the 28th super-long-distance colonization fleet's defense units.

Wilbur Garland was appointed captain of the defense units of the same fleet.

*The Macross 4 colonization fleet ends to change the environment of the fifth planet in the system Laramis, Sephira. Immigration starts with 1 million colonists.

Timothy Daldanton, who is on the very long-distance colonization fleet headed by the New Macross 3 is incorporated into the squadron "Black Ray."

Successful migration of the 28th fleet of long-distance colonization. Gilliam Angreat and Wilbur Garland become the parents of the future elite unit VF-X was responsible for recruiting exceptions candidates which they entrust the responsibility to a specific new school « Square Crow ». Turning training very hard, they are transferred to the 727th independant VF-X squadron.

July 23

Shun Tôma born.

Formation of the VF-X Ravens squadron within the 727th independent Wing.

Manfred Brando at the age of nine, receive a special entrance for the USCCM (famous at the end of study). [incomplete translation]

The New Macross 3 reaches the planet Eden 3. Timothy Daldanton reorganizes Ray Black in a special unit.

*The planet Volcan receives autonomy of the government of the United Nations.

At the end of his stay at the USCCM, Manfred Brando enters in USAC.

*Investigations starts on Endebald, third planet in the system York.

Start of an investigation on Eden 3 for a possible emigration. Timothy Daldanton retired from the UN Spacy. What he becomes is uncertain. Wilbur Garland promoted major of the 754th special unit "Black Birds".

Manfred Brando became president of USAC at the end of his studies. Gilliam Angreat promoted to major and captain of the VF-X Ravens. End of investigations on the planet Endebald.

Aegis Focker graduates from military academy (after repeating one year) and is assigned as second lieutenant to the VFF stationed at New Anderson Base.

*Process to improving the environment of Eden 3 starts.

Gilliam Angreat refuses his promotion as commander of the sector stellar 1080. Wilbur Garland promoted Colonel until the inauguration of the 1080 stellar sector command center. He is in charge of special units, namely the Black Birds and the Ravens. The planet Endebald passes under jurisdiction of the UN Forces. After the death of his father, Manfred Brando gets a job as managing director to "Critical Path" by his talents. It quickly became the master of the black market.

Timothy Daldanton is part of the "Black Rainbow" Anti-UN terrorist group.

Aegis Focker promoted to second lieutenant and captain of the New VFF Anderson base.

Suzie Newtlet graduated first in her class from the Military Academy of UNSpacy.

Suzie Newtlet leader of a reconnaissance unit in the direction of the Milky Way. For six months is moved down as leader of flight. Shun Tôma enters in the Academy of UN Spacy via special entry.

Aegis Focker relocates as unit leader of Beneb star system's AVFF (Advance Variable Fighter Force) Angel Wings.

Suzie Newtlet mutated as test pilot at the Fleed space base.

Suzie Newtlet ends her test pilot assignment at the same time she relocates Earth's Lagrange 4 space unit.

Shun Tôma graduated from UNSpacy and member of the elite unit Rubymess (?). Twice has put at stake the lives of his teammates (translation not sure).

Only a part of Eden 3 is ready for colonization. The planet Sephira is populated by 6 million settlers. The U.N. Forces reassigns Captain Aegis Focker in the 727th Special Independent Command VF-X Ravens.

The game: (comments are made by me to describe the missions)

April 9 Mission 1 : Codename…Gigant Lullaby

Aegis Focker conducts tests on simulator.

September 7 Mission 2 : Codename… Wizard of Oz

The Black Rainbow Anti-UN group led by Timothy Daldanton attack Hidecity on the planet Sephira.

September 23 Mission 3 : Codename…Die Zauberflote

The VF-X Ravens must protect the carrier of the U.N Spacy Embaterion from an attack by Critical Path. Aegis Focker meet in combat Manfred Brando.

October 4 Mission 4 : Codename…Snow White

Recovery of the Magic Mirror communication base from the Vindirance Anti-UN Group on the planet Endebald. Angreat Gilliam is Missing in Action. Aegis Focker appointed captain of the VF-X Ravens. Suzie Newtlet and Shun Tôma integrate the VF-X Ravens.

October 14 Mission 5: Codename…Mobydick

Destruction by the VF-X Ravens of the admiral destroyer of the Vindirance fleet, the Untamed, a Hatchet class ship.

November 1 Mission: Codename…Peter Pan

November 14 Mission 6: Codename…Singin’in the rain

Attack against the Black Rainbow Forces on planet Never.

December 1 Mission 7: Codename…Pinocchio

Attack of the Critical Path secret factory on the planet Eden 3.

December 26 Mission 8: Codename…King & I

The Black Rainbow have hacked a group of laser satellites orbiting the planet Volcan and threaten to fire on the planet.

January 16 Mission 9: Codename…Mary Poppins

Space Battle Against Vindirance fleet. Return of Angreat Gilliam, passed on the terrorists side. It appears that the commander of VF-X Ravens, Garland Wilbur is the brains of terrorist organizations.

February 2 Mission 10 : Codename…Easter Parade

Destruction of the Ceres U.N. Forces base in the asteroid belt of the planet Endebald.

February 14 Mission 11 : Codename…My fair lady

Attack on Macross City. The VF-X Ravens defend the SDF-1 Macross from an Anti-UN alliance strike. Death of Angreat Gilliam. Wilbur Garland attack in VF-22S Sturmvogel II.

Mission 12 : Codename…Remember love

The U.N. Forces beats the terrorist group Vindirance. Destruction of New Macross 13 and its of large-scale jamming system.

The bad ending:

january 30 Mission 10: Codename…On the town

Aegis Focker joined the Anti-U.N camp and learns the development of a large-scale jamming system. Anti-UN groups are assisted in sub-hand by officials of the UN government. Operation to destroy a Vindirance base in a field of asteroids.

Mission 11: Love goes away

Final fight between Aegis Focker and Gilliam Angreat. Aegis Focker returns to the U. N. Spacy.

Edited by gamlin

Because things have a tendency to change on us in Macross. And I'm not saying you are wrong but if something in there changed, then your efforts were just wasted. But if you want to add it, go ahead.

About VF-X2, It's just strange that nobody since 1999 was concerned to communicate those dates. For example, the events of the later Macross M3 are well known. Next time I will add dates about Macross 7. It is also very interesting.

2053年 11月

2057年

8月

2053 November

2057 August

Where did you find this is the first question that needs an answer?

What the eck happened tu Studio NUE ? It seems to have basically blinked out of existence after Macross Dynamite 7...

They got older. Kazutaka Miyatake is gonna hit 60 next year. Haruka Takachiho? Gonna be 57 in November. Naoyuki Kato? 56 this year. Kawamori was kind of a late-comer to the group by the time these guys set themselves up.

But more importantly, they have less time to spend with each other because of other commitments. Their popularity in the anime community basically pulled them away. But that's the territory, in any field. The more popular you are, the more projects people try to get you on, the less time you get to spend with the people whom you started out with. It's just the way things are.

It's from the French and Japanese Wikipedia sites for Macross.

Boo wikipedia!

I wonder if they have any references to these dates or if its just some speculation they posted?

If such a thing were truely official it would add a whole new set of possible elements to the Frontier series.

Boo wikipedia!

I wonder if they have any references to these dates or if its just some speculation they posted?

If such a thing were truely official it would add a whole new set of possible elements to the Frontier series.

The Macross VF-X 2 chronology: (I need to join scans from the game manual??)

events with "*" are not in the manual and needs investigation.

Most of dates of my timeline on wikipedia are official. Some require confirmation (transition between VFX 2-Frontier, valkyrie story) because I don't know the original source and I need help to confirm or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously, I'm not a newbie, but this seemed like the best place for this question...I've been translating both Miss D.J. and the "White Christmas" short story from "Falling Snow in the Milky Way," and I'm wondering...how canonical are these? They don't seem to contradict anything in the TV series, but do the drama albums and short stories "count"? It was my impression that (unlike, say, Gundam) everything officially Macross is equally caanonical, but I just want to be sure.

Obviously, I'm not a newbie, but this seemed like the best place for this question...I've been translating both Miss D.J. and the "White Christmas" short story from "Falling Snow in the Milky Way," and I'm wondering...how canonical are these? They don't seem to contradict anything in the TV series, but do the drama albums and short stories "count"? It was my impression that (unlike, say, Gundam) everything officially Macross is equally caanonical, but I just want to be sure.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2009

For now, they are canon. But I can't guarantee it will stay that way after the Chronicle comes out.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2009

For now, they are canon. But I can't guarantee it will stay that way after the Chronicle comes out.

I sure hope they are! I was really happy to learn that Hikaru knows all the words to "Blowin' in the Wind" and that Kim, Shammy, and Vanessa end up on Macross 7... :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for directing me to the chronology...fixed a link while I was there... ^_^

Edited by Gubaba

Ever since I know about Macross, one thing keep bothering me: how the pilot controls his/her VF, especially in battroid mode? I mean, how suppose they change the VF from one mode to another, and then control those arms in GERWALK and Battroid mode (since both modes have difference cockpit), and then choosing the correct missiles to use (especially VF-1, which sometimes equipped with multiple types of missiles), and control the Battroid's leg movement... Argh, I hate to imagine what sort of training those pilots went through just to learn those controls!

On a side note, can anyone enlighten me about the transformation from the fighter/GERWALK cockpit to the Battroid cockpit? They are different, right?

It's long been a conceit of all the Real Robot shows (and some Super Robot shows) that one person controls everything. Quite simply, humanoid robot mecha would be far too complicated for just a single person to control using things as simple as control sticks and conventional computer technology. It's anime, what can you say? :) Having said that and understanding that we're dealing with unreality here, I think Macross actually does better than most anime shows showing how the Valkyrie is controlled.

Here's a picture of the controls showing B, G, and F levers for configuration (Battroid, GERWALK and Fighter):

VF-1 transformation levers

The process can be handled either automatically OR manually. Manual likely means manual only in the sense that the operator is controlling the procedure rather than a computer. But the mechanical process remains the same.

Controlling a Valkyrie is somewhat vague. We know the hands are controlled via the main control sticks. If you follow the link above, you'll notice a cross-section drawing on the right side showing pressure switches and levers inside the stick controller; thses are used to manipulate the fingers of the Battroid/GERWALK hands. The legs are controlled via foot pedals which you can see in the Battroid cockpit (but they are also available in Fighter and GERWALK modes).

VF-1 Battroid cockpit

Now, later Macross sequels added all kinds of helpful technologies for controlling the Valkyries. For example, in DYRL? the VF-1 cockpits made extensive use of advanced holographic OverTechnology in the Block 6 systems. The Valkyries also rely on AI control systems and cockpit laser sensors to significantly reduce pilot workload. Isamu's motion sensitive controls in the YF-19 and Roy's eye-tracking target acquisition in the VF-0S are two examples of the kind of hands-off HMI (Human-Machine Interface) that allows conventional control of complex humanoid mecha. You'll also note in Macross that almost all the HOTAS controls are themselves movable. Each grip is set upon a moving mount, which is itself an additional control. These movable mounts are particularly visible in the film Macross: Do You Remember Love? and the Macross Plus film as well as Macross Zero.

Also, make sure to watch Macross Frontier episode #2 very closely. They revisit the control scheme again. Alto is shown using the finger controls as well as the positive/negative resistance foot pedals in the VF-25. Granted, the EX-Gear changes the way Valkyries are controlled to a certain extent, but the principles remain mostly the same.

There is also speculation that much of the control of a Valkyrie might be motion and voice activated. With a sufficiently advanced control computer, the cockpit itself could monitor the pilot's movements and activate certain automated control schemes. This would certainly help the pilot more easily control the craft and would make it far more efficient.

Edited by Mr March

First thing, thanks for the reply, MrMarch. :)

Getting back to topic, although I understand the controls of earlier cockpit of VF-01, it's the Block-6 (and to a certain extant, most of the VF cockpit after VF-1) that confusing me sometimes. Look at the entry of VF-1's accommodation in Macross Compendium:

Pilot only in Marty & Beck Mk-7 zero/zero ejection seat. VF-1D, VEFR-1, VT-1, and VE-1 each have two seats. Pressurized upward-hinged canopy with retractable shield for Battroid mode and atmospheric reentry use; central column controller, throttle, and two GERWALK arm controller sticks in Fighter/GERWALK mode cockpit of Block 5 or earlier machines. Each GERWALK and Battroid arm controller contains five tapets and one ball controller to control the fingers, palm and thumb. Side-stick controller and multi-position throttle lever/stick in Fighter/GERWALK mode cockpit of Block 6 or later machines. Both side-stick and throttle have six tapets to control the fingers and palm. Two rear (back) mirrors and vision plate in Fighter mode. Oxygen tank. Block 5 and earlier machines were upgraded to Block 6 specifications with improved cockpit and Mk-7 Custom ejection seat. (Bold mine)

Look at the bold part, and then we look at the picture of the cockpit control from your website:

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macrossdyrl/vf...pitcontrols.gif

Now my question: where's the tapets? I think I know where the tapets are in the level, but I'm totally confused for the side-stick controller.

And judging from what I see from M0, it's the position of the throttle lever/stick that determine the mode of the VF, right? :)

BTW, can anyone explain to me the transformation from the Fighter/GERWALK cockpit to the Battroid one? I'm curious about that one, like where do the Battroid cockpit located at? I'm assuming that both the Fighter cockpit and the Battroid one is different.

You're welcome :)

The DYRL? block 6 cockpit controls seem even easier to follow. There are four tapets on the interior of both control grips so I'm not sure why you're confused. You can't actually see the tapets in either the TV series or the DYRL controls (remember, that drawing I provided just shows the interior cross-section of the control stick, like a cutaway diagram). Maybe later today I can do a Photoshop picture and help explain.

I'm not certain if the stick controller position determines mode in DYRL?, but that's not a bad assumption. I think I know which scene you have in mind. I'm not sure how it would work exactly. Perhaps one twist on the control switches to GERWALK and two twists switches to Battroid, or something. I'm just guessing here.

The cockpit question is an easy one :) The Fighter/GERWALK cockpit in the VF-1 remains in the same place in Battroid mode. There is only one cockpit, no changes. The only difference is the cockpit seat and cockpit instruments rotate 90 degrees so the pilot is sitting upright when the Battroid is standing (and of course the heat shield covers the cockpit in Battroid mode, so the pilot needs monitors to see outside the Valkyrie).

Edited by Mr March

It's long been a conceit of all the Real Robot shows (and some Super Robot shows) that one person controls everything. Quite simply, humanoid robot mecha would be far too complicated for just a single person to control using things as simple as control sticks and conventional computer technology. It's anime, what can you say? :) Having said that and understanding that we're dealing with unreality here, I think Macross actually does better than most anime shows showing how the Valkyrie is controlled.

One thing to keep in mind about robot shows is that the bots are a controlled by a series of embedded systems which govern how the robots move when the pilot moves the controls in a certain way.

I like the way full metal panic treats robot controls. I know it not as complex as a valk with its three stages, but I found it a nice change from control sticks.

One thing to keep in mind about robot shows is that the bots are a controlled by a series of embedded systems which govern how the robots move when the pilot moves the controls in a certain way.

Yes indeed. That's what would fall under "AI control systems" and "automated control schemes" that I mentioned. I bet a lot of the actions of the Valkyries in Battroid mode are autonomous functions to help smooth out operation. Of course, close combat fighting and flying kicks is where suspension of disbelief becomes a little stretched :):lol:

Edited by Mr March

I'm not certain if the stick controller position determines mode in DYRL?, but that's not a bad assumption. I think I know which scene you have in mind. I'm not sure how it would work exactly. Perhaps one twist on the control switches to GERWALK and two twists switches to Battroid, or something. I'm just guessing here.

Actually the transformation controls seem to have be retconed since Mac Zero (however the Manga shows the SDFM mode tabs, if animated then my "retcon" assertion will be moot), that when the thrust control handle is flipped upward, the VF converts to GERWALK. The fighter controls have been this way since DYRL. How the fighter knows to continue into Battroid has not yet been revealed, it could simply be the holding down of a button when the flip is done, we don't know for sure.

All the targeting is done via holographic display, again since DYRL, as the SDFM VF-1 had a HUD. I guess it's another instance where DYRL was how SK wanted the the story in SDFM to "look".

I though the throttle had three positions. Many of the lineart pics show that if the stick if only put up partially, like 45 degrees up, then it would change the fighter to Gerwalk mode while pulling it up vertically completed the switch to Battroid mode.

I'm not certain if the stick controller position determines mode in DYRL?, but that's not a bad assumption.

Aye, it does. The throttle lever's vertical movement does, indeed, determine mode in DYRL. 45 degrees is GERWALK, 90 degrees is battroid. God, I love my gold book! :p

Aye, it does. The throttle lever's vertical movement does, indeed, determine mode in DYRL. 45 degrees is GERWALK, 90 degrees is battroid. God, I love my gold book! :p

Then that mode switch has been carried through every subsequent Macross series, including Mac Zero (Sound force excluded of course).

Edited by Zinjo

Actually the transformation controls seem to have be retconed since Mac Zero (however the Manga shows the SDFM mode tabs, if animated then my "retcon" assertion will be moot), that when the thrust control handle is flipped upward, the VF converts to GERWALK...

It's also possible the VF-0 was testing the new simplified cockpit design as well as unspecified overtechnology.

Officially, the Valks "used in the production of" DYRL were a later model than the ones seen in the original TV series.

All the targeting is done via holographic display, again since DYRL, as the SDFM VF-1 had a HUD. I guess it's another instance where DYRL was how SK wanted the the story in SDFM to "look".

Yeah. It's pretty clear DYRL is the final desired visual style.

I suspect the movie cockpit is a result of Kawamori continuing to tweak the design after finalizing it for TV series production, especially since in many respects it's EASIER to draw than the TV series one(a lot less parts to fidget with).

I was quite fond of the Zero eye-tracker. Even if the pilots DID look like they were having a seizure. :p

It's also one of those changes that doesn't conflict with anything, which is the best kind of retcon.

Just because we've never seen it doesn't mean it's not there. And really, the specifics of targeting have always been a little vague, especially the rapid anti-missile fire.

Though I will always wonder why Hikaru's 1S had a "cut a small circle out of a wall" targeting program loaded for the final battle. :p

Edited by JB0

It's also possible the VF-0 was testing the new simplified cockpit design as well as unspecified overtechnology.

Officially, the Valks "used in the production of" DYRL were a later model than the ones seen in the original TV series.

Yeah. It's pretty clear DYRL is the final desired visual style.

I suspect the movie cockpit is a result of Kawamori continuing to tweak the design after finalizing it for TV series production, especially since in many respects it's EASIER to draw than the TV series one(a lot less parts to fidget with).

I was quite fond of the Zero eye-tracker. Even if the pilots DID look like they were having a seizure. :p

It's also one of those changes that doesn't conflict with anything, which is the best kind of retcon.

Just because we've never seen it doesn't mean it's not there. And really, the specifics of targeting have always been a little vague, especially the rapid anti-missile fire.

Unless there's a scene somewhere in macross SDF that shows pin-point armament firing without a helmet. I do remember scenes from Macross where Hikaru removed his helmet (the last battle) but he never really fired any missiles after doing that, did he? And also Isamu during his final attack. but he didn't use any weapons, i think. he just rammed his valkyrie into macross. So from what i can remember, it seems consistent alright. and i agree, it was INSANELY COOL when i saw the eye-tracker the first time in Mac0. i had a sudden "so THAT'S how they do it" moment. :)

Though I will always wonder why Hikaru's 1S had a "cut a small circle out of a wall" targeting program loaded for the final battle. :p

What we didn't see was that Hikaru was rolling his eyes around like a crazy person just to cut that circle. hehe. :p

Aye, it does. The throttle lever's vertical movement does, indeed, determine mode in DYRL. 45 degrees is GERWALK, 90 degrees is battroid. God, I love my gold book!

Well, that's what in my mind when I said the position of the throttle is used to determine the mode of the VF.

BTW, I wonder, is there any explanation about how a pilot control the ways the arms and legs of the Battroid moved(just like Alto's victory stand)? Most likely not, but it's worth a try. :)

Edited by Sulendil Ang