Possible PS3 Look?

Ladic

I doubt it. It certainly looks interesting, but it's an illustration by Oliver something or other. PSM is a good magazine, but they're ALWAYS running drawings of what different people think every bit of Sony hardware will look like.

If SONY ever wanted to go wireless for controlers they better do a real good job at it, I don't trust wireless controlers as much as I trust universal remote controls.

Have you tried Logitech's wireless PS2 controller? For me, it's not that I'm leary of wireless as much as I am of third party controllers. But the Logitech controller for PS2 is actually really good... better than a regular Dual Shock 2. Better, even, than Nintendo's vaunted Wavebird. I've had zero lag and zero missed button presses with it, plus it just feels natural in your hand.

I really hope Sony doesn't make it look like that. The reason being, with space at a premium, as mentioned, it's very important to be able to put things on top of PS3, and to even be able to side stand it. I certainly couldn't have the setup I'm using at the moment if it weren't for the side-stand ability of PS2. This was one of the biggest problems with Xbox, it was the size of a DVD player, but you couldn't put anything on top of it. For the same purposes, a front-loading drawer is important, as well.

Edited by Commander McBride

If SONY ever wanted to go wireless for controlers they better do a real good job at it, I don't trust wireless controlers as much as I trust universal remote controls.

Have you tried Logitech's wireless PS2 controller? For me, it's not that I'm leary of wireless as much as I am of third party controllers. But the Logitech controller for PS2 is actually really good... better than a regular Dual Shock 2. Better, even, than Nintendo's vaunted Wavebird. I've had zero lag and zero missed button presses with it, plus it just feels natural in your hand.

Yep. That controller rules. Hell, the signal goes through walls.

Does it actually do the vibrations? Wavebird doesn't.

Why do we even care about someone's ideas about the systems appearance? I just wanna know if the games are going to be worth dropping about $400 for them and the start-up fees... <_<

Has anyone read any of the stats for the upcoming chipsets for the next gen of consoles?

The Xbox is rumored to have 3 3.0 Ghz core processors and the Cell Chip technology that is supposed to come in the next Playstation is staggering, exceeding that of the next xbox. I hear that both Nintendo and the XBox will have ATI graphics sets.

I dont know about you guys, but I am very excited by what is coming for the next gen consoles, and all three are rumored to be backwards compatible....which is good news to be sure.

Twich

Has anyone read any of the stats for the upcoming chipsets for the next gen of consoles?

The Xbox is rumored to have 3 3.0 Ghz core processors and the Cell Chip technology that is supposed to come in the next Playstation is staggering, exceeding that of the next xbox. I hear that both Nintendo and the XBox will have ATI graphics sets.

I dont know about you guys, but I am very excited by what is coming for the next gen consoles, and all three are rumored to be backwards compatible....which is good news to be sure.

Twich

XBox2 is also supposed to be using PowerPC chips(like Nintendo and Sony).

And an ATI graphics chipset.

So all 3 decks will be ATI/IBM.

Does it actually do the vibrations? Wavebird doesn't.

Why do we even care about someone's ideas about the systems appearance? I just wanna know if the games are going to be worth dropping about $400 for them and the start-up fees... <_<

Regarding the Logitech controller...yes it does. Keep in mind that the new "Cordless Action" one is the one you want..not sure if teh old one had vibe but, the new one does and is the best PS2 controller around IMO.

I like the HDMI support, but only if the games can truly take adavantage of the HDTV resolutions...720P at least...otherwise, the Component cables are fine.

Edited by Gaijin

I like the HDMI support, but only if the games can truly take adavantage of the HDTV resolutions...720P at least...otherwise, the Component cables are fine.

I'd be shocked if they couldn't.

But this IS Sony.

Anyways, this is my favorite artist's rendition of the PS3...

post-26-1111453344.jpg

The Xbox is rumored to have 3 3.0 Ghz core processors and the Cell Chip technology that is supposed to come in the next Playstation is staggering, exceeding that of the next xbox.  I hear that both Nintendo and the XBox will have ATI graphics sets.

Twich

XBox2 is also supposed to be using PowerPC chips(like Nintendo and Sony).

And an ATI graphics chipset.

So all 3 decks will be ATI/IBM.

Actually, PS3 will have a graphics chipset by NVIDIA.

So even though NVIDIA lost out on XBOX 2 (or "XBOX 360"), they

will probably make up sales with PS3 which will surely sell well.

ps3 will look like 2 big red X's?

nah ps3 will look like a game cube but with a ps logo on it.

either that or a even thinner ps2 be like a sheet of paper sticking up.

That'd be cool...

As a note... Sony ripped off an (unreleased) Atari computer case for the PS2 case.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=270

They even list it as a reference on their case patent application.

I really don't care what the PS3 looks like, as long as it fits where I put it, I fine with whatever design Sony chooses. It isn't like your car or house where people will actually judge you, if it ends up looking really stupid but people will still buy it if it has really good hardware and games. Which brings on the two big questions, what are its specs going to be and what games will be launched when it first comes out?

I really don't care what the PS3 looks like, as long as it fits where I put it, I fine with whatever design Sony chooses. It isn't like your car or house where people will actually judge you, if it ends up looking really stupid but people will still buy it if it has really good hardware and games. Which brings on the two big questions, what are its specs going to be and what games will be launched when it first comes out?

It's still nice to have a sexy case on the hardware.

I love my 5200.

Specs are all but unknown. Not that I take them seriously. Sony's known for lying out their butt about those.

The CPU is a PowerPC* with 7 extra floating-point units.

*This is so insanely funny, given how loudly PS2 fanboys were rambling about how the PS2's proprietary Emotion Engine processor was so much more powerful than the GameCube's "Gecko" PowerPC chip.

Actually I don't see what's wrong with something like a PC box, it's a nice uniform shape that's easy to put almost anywhere, and you can turn it on it's side still. Won't happen becuase it's not flashy enough, but what the heck, it owuld work out real nice.

Actually I don't see what's wrong with something like a PC box, it's a nice uniform shape that's easy to put almost anywhere, and you can turn it on it's side still. Won't happen becuase it's not flashy enough, but what the heck, it owuld work out real nice.

Well, a standard PC case is also HUGE for a game console.

Even monstrosities like the 5200 and NeoGeo are dwarfed by it.

Sure a decent PC needs the space, but that's mainly because it's upgradable. A console is an all-in-one box and can be made to much tighter space restrictions.

You could stuff a mini-ITX system into a console case, but I have a VERY low opinion of the sort of systems that the miniITX form factor gets.

Personally, I like the design of the PS2. It looks good, and you can store stuff on it. :)

Favorite is probably the white PS2s they released in Japan. Those were things of beauty.

NES is nice for much the same reasons.

But I'm finding myself increasingly drawn to various FamiClones, one of which I'm pretty sure will eventually win me over enough to replace my NES in my big stack o' systems.

The 5200 is a gigantic chunk of plastic, but it's too dang sexy to hide. Sure it's over a foot square, but it's one of the best-looking giant chunks of plastic I've ever seen.

A console is an all-in-one box and can be made to much tighter space restrictions.

Hopefully game consoles will remain that way for a long time to come. I like video games but I really hate the idea of having to upgrade your PC almost everytime for the latest games. My money is finite resource that has to be used on other things besides games.

The 5200 is a gigantic chunk of plastic, but it's too dang sexy to hide. Sure it's over a foot square, but it's one of the best-looking giant chunks of plastic I've ever seen.

Agreed, that isn't bad looking. Any mention about its price?

Favorite is probably the white PS2s they released in Japan. Those were things of beauty.

White, shmite. :ph34r:

blingps2.jpg

I have very little faith in Sony's design sense, so I'm expecting the PS3 to be pretty ugly. It's saving grace for me will likely be that I have yet to buy an American PS2, so if it's backwards compatible I'll likely grab one to catch up on games.

A console is an all-in-one box and can be made to much tighter space restrictions.

Hopefully game consoles will remain that way for a long time to come. I like video games but I really hate the idea of having to upgrade your PC almost everytime for the latest games. My money is finite resource that has to be used on other things besides games.

My complaint is more along the lines of developers being lazy.

I tend to throw cash at the hardware whenever I have some to spare, because I follow the software.

Agreed, that isn't bad looking. Any mention about its price?

According to DigitPress.com, one should run about 30$.

You ARE clear that this thing came out in 1982, right?

I'd be shocked if they couldn't.

But this IS Sony.

Anyways, this is my favorite artist's rendition of the PS3...

Famicom.jpg