Kawamori designs get chogokin toys!

But if they were Macross toys we'd buy em in a second.  :lol:

That goes without saying. :D

Graham

*sketches a UN Spacy logo on the chest of a Wing Gundam*

It's a genuine 100% real Macross product. Honest. The guy inteh alley in China wouldn't lie to me...

The toys haven't been made yet, ya morons.

They've just been announced.

Personally, I think this stuff is cool, but I grant you it's very different than Macross.  Kawamori has moved on.  Something to think about, eh?  *cough*  :p

wrong website to bring up #hit like that buddy... :rolleyes:

I think they're cool. I'll buy a diecast transformable toy made by Bandai. 'specially if its by Kawamori.

Edited by Panzer

Out of curiosity, does the transformation process similar to the Shin Getter?

Basically you have 3 planes than can interchange to 3 different types of robot, right? :huh:

Yeap. :)

Personally, I think this stuff is cool, but I grant you it's very different than Macross. Kawamori has moved on. Something to think about, eh? *cough* :p

Problem is this looks like a throwback to the old silly combiner super robot shows from the 1970s and 1980s instead of something that has the potential to usher in a new era of mecha anime that takes a step closer to reality.

Personally, I think this stuff is cool, but I grant you it's very different than Macross.  Kawamori has moved on.  Something to think about, eh?  *cough*  :p

Problem is this looks like a throwback to the old silly combiner super robot shows from the 1970s and 1980s instead of something that has the potential to usher in a new era of mecha anime that takes a step closer to reality.

*shrugs*

Giant robots are giant robots. I've got no problem with a few good super robots, which is fortunate since that seems to be the trend lately.

It's the Samurai type helmets on a couple of the robots that gets me. I just can't stand robots with heads that look like Samurai helmets.

Graham

Sounds like your biased hatred for Gundam speaking here, Graham.

:lol:

Well , it seems this is the right time to spend some pounds on SOC toys , I reccon this will be the last time we´ll see a SOC toy made from a Kawamori design ( admit it , Bandai just hates macross ).

I think I´ll buy all 3 just for the sake of combining them but AFAIG the Aquarion Mars is just fugly, the other too are fine , actually the Mars is the only one wich features too many colours ( the others are just Red/Green).

What really get´s me though is the fact that Kawamori himself , on a number of interviews has critisized the industry for letting stereotyped animes get through to production , he has even said that only series with a big name get to be aired but why doesn´t he use his big name to produce an innnovative series ?

It´s seems strange he would personally decide to do a combining mecha series. He is well respected in Japan , enough so ( IMO ) to demmand the producers and companies behind to do a series as he wants to and not as they ¨asume¨ the public wants it to be; especially when his is the director.

Edited by Aegis!

It's the Samurai type helmets on a couple of the robots that gets me. I just can't stand robots with heads that look like Samurai helmets.

Graham

I don't hate Gundam. I actually quite like some of it (0080, CCA, 08MST, V, F91, Destiny). The rest I don't care for though and some of the fan favorites like MSG and Zeta I consider to be extremely overrated.

The thing that bothers more about Gundam heads is not that they slightly resemble Samurai helmets, but rather that they all look the bloody same, with only minor variations :D .

The Aquarion mecha heads, well at least 2 of them look far more like Samurai helmets in some of the pics I have seen, compared to Gundam heads.

Graham

What really get´s me though is the fact that Kawamori himself , on a number of interviews has critisized the industry for the letting stereotyped animes get through to production , he´s said that only series with a big name get to be aired but why doesn´t he used his big name to produce a innnovative series ?

It´s seems strange he would personally decide to do a combining mecha series. He is well respected in Japan , enough so ( IMO ) to demmand the producers and companies behind to do a series as he wants to and not as they ¨asume¨ the public wants it to be; especially when his is the director.

Who's to say that Aquerion will be stereotypical? Maybe it'll be the next big thing...redefining the combining mecha genre....

or one can hope..... <_<

What really get´s me though is the fact that Kawamori himself , on a number of interviews has critisized the industry for the letting stereotyped animes get through to production , he´s said that only series with a big name get to be aired but why doesn´t he used his big name to produce a innnovative series ?

Who's to say that Aquerion will be stereotypical? Maybe it'll be the next big thing...redefining the combining mecha genre....

or one can hope..... <_<

Cheesiness. In the promo movie, they go "Let's combine!!" and "Aquarion, GO!!" They never did that in Macross. "Gotta transform! Battroid -- GO!" And they're all damn kids. Yet the show will be shown at like one in the morning.

Ah, come back Macross Zero, all is forgiven. Well, almost all.

(Yes, having said all that I'm still gonna watch it because of two reasons: 1) Yoko Kanno; 2) There's nothing good on TV these days.)

Cheesiness.  In the promo movie, they go "Let's combine!!" and "Aquarion, GO!!"  They never did that in Macross.

The closest thing was in Macross 7, the "PinPoint Barrier Punch!" yelled by Basara.

A Super Robot show does bear its traditions you can't get away with. At the end the best authors can do is justify them inside the story. Why the boy pilots for the first time his robot in battle without having never seen it before, for istance. Common even in Real Robot anime. Make no illusions, Aquarion is a Super Robot anime.

Personally, I am proud there is a psycotherapist character in the cast. I mean, in Evangelion there were only characters with no specifical education in this department making statements in their free time. Aquarion at least has a pro. It could be the envy of other anime fans. :lol:

FV

Cheesiness.  In the promo movie, they go "Let's combine!!" and "Aquarion, GO!!"  They never did that in Macross.

The closest thing was in Macross 7, the "PinPoint Barrier Punch!" yelled by Basara.

Yeah, I was talking only about the first series. Although then, I thought about the "Daedalus Attack!!" by Misa....

Good god, that "Pinpoint Barrier Punch!" crap got on my nerves. Especially when you consider that Basara is the character who would be LEAST likely to say crap like that. Macross 7 did have its fair share of Super Robot Stupidity though, in other areas such as the "strike a pose", stock footage transformation sequences. Jesus.

The first series seemed to have gone out of its way to avoid all of that rubbish back in 1982, so why the hell is it coming back? Seems like these days Kon Satoshi is the only person you can rely on to get cliche-free anime... <_<

Yeah, I was talking only about the first series. Although then, I thought about the "Daedalus Attack!!" by Misa....

Good god, that "Pinpoint Barrier Punch!" crap got on my nerves. Especially when you consider that Basara is the character who would be LEAST likely to say crap like that. Macross 7 did have its fair share of Super Robot Stupidity though, in other areas such as the "strike a pose", stock footage transformation sequences. Jesus.

The first series seemed to have gone out of its way to avoid all of that rubbish back in 1982, so why the hell is it coming back? Seems like these days Kon Satoshi is the only person you can rely on to get cliche-free anime... <_<

IMO "Deadlus attack" is an order, just like "fold!" or "valkyrie scramble!"

Btw I'm whatching macross 7 right now, I'm really impressed by the animation cheesiness, never thought of see such crap in Macross.

Let's see at least some episodes of aquarion before judge it aniways.

Graham

I don't hate Gundam. I actually quite like some of it (0080, CCA, 08MST, V, F91, Destiny). The rest I don't care for though and some of the fan favorites like MSG and Zeta I consider to be extremely overrated.

The thing that bothers more about Gundam heads is not that they slightly resemble Samurai helmets, but rather that they all look the bloody same, with only minor variations :D .

The Aquarion mecha heads, well at least 2 of them look far more like Samurai helmets in some of the pics I have seen, compared to Gundam heads.

Graham

I love Samurai helmets, whats wrong with`em, did you forget Darth Vader`s helmet it was also inspired by it.

Back to main topic I won`t be surprised they in the anime :

AQUA SWITCH ON

or

OPEN AQUA

A Super Robot show does bear its traditions you can't get away with. ... Why the boy pilots for the first time his robot in battle without having never seen it before, for istance.

That's an easily escapable tradition.

GaoGaiGar springs to mind immediatly.

I don't see it as a problem, I love super robots. The more OTT and mechanically implausiable they are, the better. :D

I am greatly looking forward to seeing this show and I know full well that I will be getting this toy. B))

• 2 months later...

I was just going to post that pic of the Chogokin Aquarion. I am not super crazy about the Aquarion designs but that looks like one hell of a toy set. I just wonder if it combine transforms all the different ways like in the anime. I would expect it to make me eggs in the morning with that price.