YF-19A worth it?

kaiotheforsaken

So anyways, i was kinda thinking about picking up a YF-19a, i've always liked the design, at least in the series. however i've heard a huge amount of complaints regarding yamatos redition of this valk. I heard the 19a was better, is it worth it or should i just skip this valk all together?

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

the 19a was my very first yamato. I got it slightly used in trade for a sword I had spare. I was familier with 1/55's but had heard all sorts of horror stories about the 11b and other mac plus valks so I asked here if anybody had any advise before I transformed for my first time. I ended up pretty much with a complete walk through but that was the old boards and I doubt you could find the post any longer.

Anyways I managed to transform it without breaking it in about 40 minutes [did I mention I was SUPER paranoid because of what I'd heard]. Second time I transformed it took only a couple of minutes, once I knew what slid where and how. Just don't force it. I have had the bandai 19 and the yammie 19 is definately a lot nicer. It feels like how bandai shoould have made it... with metal.

I got the 19a because I could swap for it and the blue really appealed to me for some reason. I don't know if there are any real differences between the 19a and the 19... I think that was asked before but I don't remember what people said.

I haven't broken mine and it's been transformed a number of times. I will say this though... the first time you transform it you can say hello to paint chips. It might just be the way it was painted, or how it sits in the box, but I've never seen one that didn't have some chipping of paint on the metal legs where the wing sometimes rubs. It's not like the leg falls off or anything... just a spot on each leg where the paint is gone. Might be able to do a pre-emptive clear coat to prevent it... but hind sight is always 20 20. I'll do that on my next one as I wouldn't mind two of that particular toy.

does that help any?

Read the review by Graham in teh toys section.... the improvements over the normal YF-19 are better sculpted knees (that can't bend forewards tho) and the shield sits closer to the fusalage in plane mode, eliminating the gap. The normal 19 is my favorite Yammie toy, and I tf it all teh time without breakage. I got it slightly used and it had the paint chip described by katana on one leg, but I make sure to not let it hit the there so it doesnt chip on that side as well.

Don't let appearances fool you, the VF-19A is one of the sturdiest toys Yamato's ever released. Whenever I transform it, it's the same feeling you get when transforming a durable chunky-monkey. But, like the chunky-monkey, it's not that posable.

If you're serious about buying one, now's the time to do it. Due to the dwindling chances of a new YF-19 being released, this latest VF-19A is starting to rise in value.

I would recommend the VF-19a. It's got all those improvements over the YF-19 2nd. Ed., plus a cool color scheme. I have to warn you though - it might never give you the gratification that would come with owning something that actually came from the OVA.

Problem is, where are you going to find one these days? EvilBay has ONE, and that's going for $249. I mean, that's, er, not a very reasonable sum.

I'd recommend Valk009 (Andy, another member here at MW) - he's in Hong Kong, but he's got a few left, and he can hook you up for MUCH less than $200. Drop him a PM. And don't worry, he's a good guy :)

The only thing I don't like about the VF-19A, part from its lack of poseability, is the fact that the torso isn't locked by anything, so it feels like an origami mecha at the top. However, it's quite sturdy indeed, with ratchet joints everywhere, but paint chips are impossible to avoid. Mine is already quite banged up around the legs but I still love it. And yeah, hook up with Valk009, I got it from him.

Mine took a tumble a couple times off my old desk, and it came through just fine. It's quite durable, and I think it looks pretty good. It's in battroid now in my display case.

I think Battroid's the best way to display the 19A personally.

Don't let anybody tell you the VF-19A is fragile. It's not. As Lonewolf stated, it's one of the sturdiest Macross toys Yamato made.

The only problems you will have with the toy as already mentioned is paint chipping on the diecast metal parts and of course the hideously ugly sculpt in fighter mode :lol: .

Don't believe the 'it's so complex it takes ages to transform' crowd either. While the instructions are not the clearest in the world, it really shouldn't take you more than 5-10 minutes maximum for a first try. With practice you should be able to transform it in under 2 minutes. Back when the YF-19 came out, I was able to transform it in 1 minute (I have it on video).

Graham

Yeah, good point. The directions are kinda iffy, but you'll have it down pat ater the first because it is easy to tell where things go after that.... I can force that thing together mighty quick, but I try to be gentle bc/ of the stupidly located (IMO) die cast....

Really graham...i thought the fighter mode was the best mode for the VF-19A.

If not, which mode you think is best? The battroid mode leaves alot to be desired.....

But like someone posted the modded joints version offered in Yahoo Japan, that just looked awesome.

If not, which mode you think is best? The battroid mode leaves alot to be desired.....

I can't stand the fighter mode on the Yamato YF-19/VF-19A toys. The sculpt of the nose and canopy area especially is so ugly and inaccurate that it is a joke.

• Poorly sculpted hybrid sensors on the nose - those things are really a joke.
  • Completely incorrect cannopy shape when veiwed from the side. Not only is the side profile of the canopy wrong (too short, hump in wrong place), but the bottom edge of the canopy is also totally wrong. The bottom edge of the canopy should be straight lines and angles, not all curvy! (just look at the lineart).
  • Completely unnecessary trianglar gap where the nose folds. None of the other transforming YF/VF-19 toys & models (Bandai/SHE/LS/Retppu) have this gap. the nose of the Yamato YF19 would still fold even without this gap. I don't understand why they have it.
  • Front landing gear which is still exposed even in the 'up' position, along with those ugly bumps where the front landing gear hinges, that really spoil the lines of the forward fuselage. this is the biggest sin.
  • Wings too short and droop downwards.
  • Ugly screw sockets on the wings.
  • Shoulders sit far too high in fighter mode.

Out of all three modes my opinion is that Battroid is the least ugly.

Graham

Don't believe the 'it's so complex it takes ages to transform' crowd either. While the instructions are not the clearest in the world, it really shouldn't take you more than 5-10 minutes maximum for a first try. With practice you should be able to transform it in under 2 minutes. Back when the YF-19 came out, I was able to transform it in 1 minute (I have it on video).

Graham

hey now... no mocking the hippie. I said the second time I transformed it took less than 5 min, I was just super anal the first time. Lord knows I had so many issues with my first 1/60 yammie and not knowing that you had to push that little intake in to get the legs out. I should have asked about that to I guess.

Remember the only stupid question is the one unasked and...

It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

I'd happily get another 19a if somebody was willing to trade for a yammie misb yf-21, but I'm not out shopping for yammies as there are a few 1/55's I don't have yet. Anybody got a boxed french one they don't want? :rolleyes:

Is it worth it?

I guess it depends what you can get it at.

I've seen it sell for like $140-$200 om e-bay.

At that price, no it is probably not worth it.

You can get a 1/48 easily for that price with super/strike parts.

It is a cool piece to have though. At a cheaper price, it's worth to just hold in your hand as i love the design of it. Probaly one of my favorite Valks out of all of them.

So if you have a money tree in your back yard, then go for it.

It's a real nice valk to have, it just isn't the same as a 1/48 though.

And it seems to go for the same price as a 1/48.

Man, I just got my standard YF-19 and now I can't decide which of the two I like more! Such sweet dilemmas. The beige one sure seems a lot shinier. My big problem with these is that neither looks agressive enough in Gerwalk mode.

I can't stand the fighter mode on the Yamato YF-19/VF-19A toys. The sculpt of the nose and canopy area especially is so ugly and inaccurate that it is a joke.

• Poorly sculpted hybrid sensors on the nose - those things are really a joke.
  • Completely incorrect cannopy shape when veiwed from the side. Not only is the side profile of the canopy wrong (too short, hump in wrong place), but the bottom edge of the canopy is also totally wrong. The bottom edge of the canopy should be straight lines and angles, not all curvy! (just look at the lineart).
  • Completely unnecessary trianglar gap where the nose folds. None of the other transforming YF/VF-19 toys & models (Bandai/SHE/LS/Retppu) have this gap. the nose of the Yamato YF19 would still fold even without this gap. I don't understand why they have it.
  • Front landing gear which is still exposed even in the 'up' position, along with those ugly bumps where the front landing gear hinges, that really spoil the lines of the forward fuselage. this is the biggest sin.
  • Wings too short and droop downwards.
  • Ugly screw sockets on the wings.
  • Shoulders sit far too high in fighter mode.

Out of all three modes my opinion is that Battroid is the least ugly.

Graham

And let's not forget that in Fighter the gunpod is positioned so as to blow off the lower front fuselage (including the fugly 'codpiece').

Don't forget the ugly rear landing gears and how bad the head sit in fighter mode.

It give me the same impression of the 1/100 bandai vf-19, it looks like the front fuselage and the wings are in a bigger scale then the remains.

yf19_proto2_fit1.jpg

Worst yf-19 fighter ever.

Yeah its definitely time for a refresh. In the meantime, i'd be happy to see a mildly refitted YF-19FP (to beat that dead horse) with the ultimate objective being 1/60 scale YF-19FP and YF-21FP for the 25th anniversary

yeah i just got mine. while i like it, i do find its sculpt lacking. fighter mode needs to loose some wait, to me the Battroid looks old, its posture after transformation, to me, makes it seem elderly (if that makes sense). So by itself its not bad, but its innacuracy to the original is glaring. still glad i got it. as for a FP version that isn't high on my list i would either like to see re-sculpts on at least the 19 and the 21 or 1/48 of all 3 valks. but still the 11B is the best from that line in my book.