Next Samurai Monkey model: 1/72 Regult.

captain america

Thanks for the reply. Glad I didn't step on anyones toes. ;)

Anyways the leg and toes bits make sense.

Now I do understand that that area of the body's shell is kinda complex with it wrapping over the top and the sides. And the picture isn't the best to compare by, that's why I asked. I'm interested mainly because I plan to eventually build my own Regult

An image to illustrate what I was saying about the 'ridge' area.

post-3-1112329006.png

Hi Chrono.

I'd hardly call that a sharp ridge...

The main pod has to go from a flat area onto which the side thruster mates, to another circular flat surface where the ring-plate for the cannon goes. 2 different flat planes very close to each other at different angles, so you will have a bit more of a pinch in that area, but it's definitely not sharp.

You could smooth that area out, so long as you'd be willing to warp the cannon's ring plate to mate to the rounder surface, which I felt would look far more awkward to the eye.

For you Gold Book owners, is there any real differences in the Regult line art between the SDF and DYRL versions?

There's no lineart for the regult (or the glaug) in the gold book. There's a drawing of one in a background sketch but that's about it. It's mostly about the DYRL NOUSJADEUL-GER.

Guest Bromgrev
If it turns out that the clear parts for the visible cockpit are problematic, don't worry about mine,  mine will be painted anyway. The kit looks fantastic so far.

They're pretty small, anyway. It shouldn't be too difficult to vac-form them if neccessary. The master is looking very nice indeed.

Uh-oh, my wife just gave me that "finish some of your 300+ unbuilt models before you even think of buying another one" look ... :D

Week 3 progress update. The hardest and most elaborate part of the sculpt is done: the hollowing-out of the cockpit pod. This will without a doubt be the most complex model kit pattern I've built to date, but all the effort has been worth it. From this point on, I'll have a week of mostly detail work to do; particularly in the cockpit to try to make it as "cluttered" as it appears in the anime style sheets.

Long story short, the kit patterns should be ready by April 15th, so get your wallets ready! :lol:

post-3-1112923795_thumb.jpg

Excellent work John (as usual)

Fantastic 3D interpretation of the lineart, with skills to match. I'm so glad you decide to take up the Macross Genre.

Thanks again for a fantastic effort. Any clear parts planned (eyes and main display console) - maybe the main exterior eye could be casted in clear resin - so we can paint out the opaque bits leaving the horizontal slit inside clear red? I love the hatches that are removeable - what a great idea. Can the rear hatch be hinged to operate after construction? (might be a tall order for something of this scale - but you do work magic...) :p

Keep up the great work.

Thanks,

Wm

Hi Will.

From the outset, the sensor eye, and the little red "christmas bulbs" will be cast in clear resin. I was originally also going to cast the left-hand side of the pod in clear, but I guess I can do the front panel clear as well.

Rear hatch: you'll be able to position it open or closed, but it won't pivot outright... The complex geometry of the hatch outline prohibits simple opening, demanding a more complex push-out, push-up system which would be way too annoying/small/fragile to cast. Therefore, it will be static :p

Gooberish drooling aside, Cap, what are the odds of you making the Tactical Scout upgrade kit?

The with level of detail you are showing so far, after everyone has had a chance to place an order, if you decide to make the Missle carrier and Tactical Scout I will have to buy a third Regult kit and both upgrade kits from you guys so I can build one of each.

Have the final height dimensions of the model been determined already?

Gooberish drooling aside, Cap, what are the odds of you making the Tactical Scout upgrade kit?

The with level of detail you are showing so far, after everyone has had a chance to place an order, if you decide to make the Missle carrier and Tactical Scout I will have to buy a third Regult kit and both upgrade kits from you guys so I can build one of each.

Have the final height dimensions of the model been determined already?

Hi Ghadrack.

Chances of a Tactical Scout are very, very good; most probably in the form of a very elaborate update set, since the entire head/cockpit area will have to be different.

As for the height of the kit, I believe that I gave it out with the March 31st update... Round abouts 34cm if I recall.