Next Samurai Monkey model: 1/72 Regult.

captain america

In so much as the preorders for the Regult are quite high, I've already started gathering reference to build the patterns from. One point of interest will be the size of this model: IT WILL BE LARGER THAN THE IMAI KIT.

MWers: why will it be larger Cap'n?

Cap'n: because the Imai model was made too small for the scale advertised. As you can see from the size chart below, a conventional Zentradi soldier is about 10M tall, compared to the VF-1 Battroid, which is just under 13m tall. Now, basing myself on available data, as well as reference taken from both Perfect Memory and TIA volume 11 (official lineart), we can see how that 10m Zentradi soldier needs to fit inside the pod of the Regult. Based on this, there is NO way that the Regult could stand 15.2m tall... Unless it's in its "crouched" hangar bay stowage mode.

Long story short, a regult made to "intelligent" 1/72 scale would stand about 33cm tall, so this is going to be a fairly large model.

...Just doing my homework as usual B))

post-3-1110930598_thumb.jpg

I have lots of reference if you want me to scan it for you. I assume that you have the cutaway illustration that was in the TIA Red book. Or is it the Blue one? I have both anyway. They have appeared online though. Let me know what you need if you need anything.

Hi Coby.

I actually have Macross Perfect Memory, TIA #11, as well as the cutaway view. The cutaway is truly great, but it won't be much help, since there won't be any actual internal structure on the model, and the cutaway's view of the cockpit details is somewhat ambiguous... The anime style sheets will be better suited for that.

As you can see from the size chart below, a conventional Zentradi soldier is about 10M tall, compared to the VF-1 Battroid, which is just under 13m tall.

Zentradi soldiers are normally around 9m, not 10m... So right there you have the Regult pod height down to 21m as opposed to almost 24m.

I can certainly see how the 15m dimension would be a problem, but going so much larger is a bit hard to accept. :) For the purposes of display with Battroids and whatnot, the Regult can't completely dwarf the Battroid.

A seated human pilot is less than 1.5m tall - so in Zentradi scale the pod itself is constrained to be 7.5m or larger. The space of the legs under the pod is about equal to the size of the pod itself, so there's your 15m.

I've gone over that drawing before in the past, trying to massage the numbers and figures to make the pod be 15m. (Sort of anti-scientific but that's the fanboy impulse. :)) But if you look at the guy's back in that drawing, it isn't long enough, proportionally. It's hard to be precise about it because the drawing is so sketchy. I figure his chair must sink lower than the bottom outer edge of the pod, toward the area where the legs attach. So in the scaling diagram the standing pilot should be taller relative to the pod. Most existing Regult kits make that lower/outer edge of the pod rather high up, so there's a bunch of empty space between the top of the legs and the bottom of the pod. There's no reason for that space to be there, and filling it in a little could camouflage a little downward bucket-seat expansion in the middle of the pod.

Works in theory, anyway. :) But if you could massage the numbers to be under 20m at least (27cm at 1:72 scale) I think that'd be a good thing, to keep it from completely dwarfing the Battroid. My personal opinion.

Edited by tetsujin

Why not use the Macross compendium? I thought it was semi-official... :unsure:

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/zentrad...gult/index.html

DIMENSIONS, EXTERNAL:

Height overall: 15.12 m

Light missile carrier version:

Height overall: 18.67 m

Width overall: 9.86 m

Length overall: 8.2 m

Heavy missile carrier version:

Height overall: 19.12 m

Width overall: 8 m

Length overall: 8.3 m

Tactical scout version:

Height overall: 18.20 m

Width overall: 12.6 m

Length overall: 7.6 m

Wouldnt people like it to be I guess, more or less "official" size as opposed to being realistic? Just a curiousity question.... :huh:

Edited by AlphaHX

Yeah, and let AlphaHX go and spoil our fun wth his smartness and goody too shoes having more pictures than god-ness.

Honestly, while realistic, it sounds like it could be getting a wee bit large.... altho I can be quite the canon-Nazi when I want.

Yeah, and let AlphaHX go and spoil our fun wth his smartness and goody too shoes having more pictures than god-ness.

Honestly, while realistic, it sounds like it could be getting a wee bit large.... altho I can be quite the canon-Nazi when I want.

Hahahah... :lol:

Whaaaaat? I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun. I just wondering, thats all. For me, I can go either way. I see it as a win win situation. Both realistic and official works for me. Hasegawas arent official in terms of lineart, etc and some lean towards being more realistic when it comes to panel lines and some other things. As for it being official, thats fine too... we always like things to agree with the makers and designers of Macross. I dont see a problem at all.

...and what can I say? I like pictures. Especially Macross ones. :D

Edited by AlphaHX

Yes! Line art accuracy is a must. That is my one gripe.... size you can fudge a little based on your scale interpretation, but the panel lines and such are pretty concrete.

AlphaHX- glad you liked it.... I get a sick thrill out of making fun of you and your picture library for some reason.... what kind of HD you runnin with all that data? An external portable HD?

Yes! Line art accuracy is a must. That is my one gripe.... size you can fudge a little based on your scale interpretation, but the panel lines and such are pretty concrete.

AlphaHX- glad you liked it.... I get a sick thrill out of making fun of you and your picture library for some reason.... what kind of HD you runnin with all that data? An external portable HD?

Wow, really? Lineart accuracy is a must? So do you not like Hasegawas then? :huh:

Hahah, its all good. I actually have 3 hard drives in my computer. I have about 400 gigs or so. :D

I should just zip up my Macross pictures folder and host it one of these days just so everyone can download it. ;)

Christ. 400G? 3 HDs? woah.....

Actually umm... I dont have any Hases (except one half built YF-19) but it's bc. Im not a big large scale modeller.... I do minaitures. I dont care much for the lineart innacruacies of Hases tho bc/ there's not much else.

There's something wrong when modeling requires this much math.

This is the age old debate...art vs lineart. Watch the anime...and the pods are about the same height as the VF1's...then they are a lot larger...the Zentradi are the same height...then smaller...then larger.

Based on this picture the Zentradi are significantly smaller....but then there are pictures that counter this.

size_comparison.jpg

Looking at that (if I include the head lasers in the height of the VF1) I can't believe the Zentradi pictured is much taller then 1/2 the height of the battroid. If this were the case then the Pod is fine in it's size. If they are bigger, it would seem the pod should be bigger.

(and by the way....even at that height it looks like the Pod would be a damn uncomfortable ride ...all that running around in tight spaces just reaks of hemeroids! )

I was always under the impression the plastic pods were too small for teh scale. I was just looking at the 1/72 Glaug and there is NO WAY a Zentraedi can fit in that cockpit. I assume the Regult would be the same business.

As losg as it's big and looks good, I'm good for the TWO I said from the beginning.