Sci Fi/Fantasy movies

I´m looking for Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies (preferably) or series on DVD. I´m looking a epic story set on a complex world. But I´m not looking for Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Gundam or Matrix or stuff like that.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Temucano

I´m looking for Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies (preferably) or series on DVD. I´m looking a epic story set on a complex world. But I´m not looking for Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Gundam or Matrix or stuff like that.

Any recommendations?

What type of sci-fi/Fantasy do you enjoy... give some examples so so the member's suggestion can be tailored to your taste.

If you're talking about complex worlds I'd have to suggest Blade Runner, but I can't believe you haven't seen that. As for anime I'll suggest Last Exile and The Ghost in the Shell series, not the movies. Fantasy = Records of the Loddoss War OVA, definitely, but that's really close to LOTR.

And of course the new Battlestar Galactica.

SCI/fi: Gundam (politics, machines,etc)

Fantasy: LOTR (ancient legends, epic story)

But I´m not looking for Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Gundam or Matrix or stuff like that.

LOL, good job, Temucano. Keep up the good work. :lol:

But I´m not looking for Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Gundam or Matrix or stuff like that.

I´m looking for new movies. I watched LOTR, Gundam, etc. That´s the reason why I posted this thread.

Edited by Temucano

Damn, where to begin?

Without knowing a little more about what kind of film/anime you enjoy, it's very hard to recommend titles. I can simply list what I beleive are the modern classics of science fiction on film and hope you'll give them a try.

2001: A Space Odessey (Stanley Kubrick, 1969)

A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)

Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo, 1988)

Andromeda Strain, The (Robert Wise, 1971)

Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)

Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)

Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Steven Spielberg, 1977)

Ghost in the Shell (Mamoru Oshii, 1995)

Mad Max (George Miller, 1979)

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (Hayao Miyazaki, 1984)

The Road Warrior; Mad Max 2 (George Miller, 1982)

Terminator (James Cameron, 1984)

Terminator 2 Judgement Day (James Cameron, 1991)

I think you also might want to try these other films/series:

Babylon 5 (Joe Micheal Straczynski, Five Seasons 1994-1998)

Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)

Minority Report (Steven Spielberg, 2002)

Predator (John McTeirnan, 1987)

I´m looking for new movies. I watched LOTR, Gundam, etc. That´s the reason why I posted this thread.

LOL, I thought you were contridicting yoruself. I was like :blink:

WTH??? That's what makes half of Sci-Fi and Fantasy....

if you want something totally different go for Brazil, Time Bandits, Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Amelie, The City of Lost Children, and Spirited Away... and bring the bong bitch! :lol:

LOL, I thought you were contridicting yoruself. I was like :blink:

No problem. It's funny when I reading now

Damn, where to begin?

Without knowing a little more about what kind of film/anime you enjoy, it's very hard to recommend titles. I can simply list what I beleive are the modern classics of science fiction on film and hope you'll give them a try.

nice list... except for the Oshii GITS... I prefer the series... lol

instead of listing the obvviouse I will list the overlooked sereis

thoguh some good ones which arre popular will be mentioned.

fantasy:

3x3 eyes : acult fantasy story. pretty short anime though. manga is long!!

Adeu's Legend: Ryu Knight TV : nice epic sereis with magic and armor which si liek mecha. I enjoyed this sereis.

AZUMI: if you like fantasy based samurai live actgion.

bastard: very short but very sweet series about an evil wizard who is trapped insdie a boy and the girl they both like

scifi:

back to the future(trilogy) awsome scifi sereis. aout time travel.

Better man: dark scifi set in the same universe as gaogaigar.

Bubblegum crisis: blade runner meets power armor.

Casshern very story oriented live action movie which is set in a relaly mesed up future.

Firefly: awsome western in space

GaoGaiGar: if you like transformers and supe rrobots and sicifi you will ike this

Geneshaft: often overlooked scifi sereis. good show.

chekc out my list I haev them catagorized.

both dune mini series are also pretty damn good.

I prefer the original Dune movie over the mini-series, and I've read the book. The mini-series just looked so... cheap. The movie was just so rich, it had so much character.

Can't go wrong with the original Alien and Aliens... but stop watching after Aliens lest your rage get the better of you.

Also not so much sci fi as it is comedy but check out the BBC miniseries "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" as well as Ice Pirates (finally on DVD!).

Dragonslayer. Can't forget that one.

Can't go wrong with the original Alien and Aliens... but stop watching after Aliens lest your rage get the better of you.

Also not so much sci fi as it is comedy but check out the BBC miniseries "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" as well as Ice Pirates (finally on DVD!).

good picks hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy was very elite

bIf you don't mind a bit of campy B-movie fun, I'd recommend:

Flash Gordon--yeah, in retrospect, it's pretty cheesy; but a fun romp all the same. Most of the extras look like they just came from around the corner at "Studio 54" or something...Outlandish characters, fantasmagorical settings, and out-of-this world technology. Ming's daughter was pretty babe-alicious, too.

Swamp Thing--low budget, kinda crappy, but you can tell they really tried the best with what they had. The sequel's even worse; deadpan humor, bad one-liners, even worse acting--it's like they knew it would suck, and they just didn't care...le bad cinema at its best.

Dragonslayer--early 80's sword & sorcery flick-by Disney no less; and arguably still one of the ass kickingest flicks in its genre. Yeah, the stop motion special effects may look dated compared to today's CGI flash fests, but that dragon was still one mean bi--h. Still one of my all time favorite movie monsters. The scene with the priest at the dragon's cave is simply raw dog! This movie leaves that craptacular "Reign of Fire" up in smoke. A classic.

Clash of the Titans--another classic. IIRC, the last film that the great Ray Harryhausen(sp?) actually did the special effects for, working his magic with stop motion animation. Packed full of adventure, heroes, and a whole slew of creatures and characters from Greek mythology, from Pegasus the winged horse to the mighty Cracken. A must see.

The Last Dinosaur--another B-movie classic. A millionaire big-game hunter leads an expedition of scientists in their giant drilling machine in search of oil, only to find themselves stranded in a "lost world," struggling for survival. But his real agenda is to go on one last great hunt; his prey? Only the greatest predator to ever walk the earth, a T-Rex! Low budget and wreaking of cheese, this man-in-rubber-suit fest is still good for a few chuckles, and one of the great 70's late-night TV flicks.

Ah, the list could go on and on...I guess it depends on what you're in the mood for. You might try this guy's site here: www.badmovies.org Got a huge listing of B-movies mostly sci-fi, fantasy, horror, with synopsis and some pics/clips, so's you can make up your mind as to whether you'd want to torture your eyes with some of these flicks. Good for a laugh, anyway...

If you don't mind strange british humor I'd also recommend Red Dwarf. One of those great smart dumb series.

Damn, where to begin?

Without knowing a little more about what kind of film/anime you enjoy, it's very hard to recommend titles.  I can simply list what I beleive are the modern classics of science fiction on film and hope you'll give them a try.

nice list... except for the Oshii GITS... I prefer the series... lol

Hahaha. Anytime you want a debate, I'm you're huckleberry :)

If you don't mind strange british humor I'd also recommend Red Dwarf. One of those great smart dumb series.

Another good BBC series is Doctor Who. It ran for 26 years, includes many novels, audio adventures, and a new series starting this year. Low budget but a lot of fun.