Other Anime or Science Fiction name change

Maybe I'm wrong, but there is a hell of alot more Star Wars fans around here (or out there) than Trek fans. How about changing the subtitle to what it SHOULD say? B))

Gundam and Star Wars?

:huh:

Whats so confusing?

That someone would actually take the time to:

1) Notice this.

2) Think that something was "wrong" with it or could be "improved."

3) Suggest an alternative for a problem that does not exist.

4) Pat self on the back as savior of the Macross World "Other Anime" sub-heading. -- PENDING

Seriously though, just another "suggestion" by Togo, backed up by Agent One. . . and yawned over by the rest of us.

Rinse. Repeat.

So Togo, what do you have cookin' up for us next week? Will you suggest that the "Newbie Questions" thread be re-spelled "Noobie?" Because, that's about as important as changing the sub-heading of the Other Anime forum.

I don't think someone who wanted to post about Star Wars would see "Star Trek" there and say: "Woops, I'd best go somewhere else."

Half of me thinks you guys are just yanking us around with all these "suggestions" or that you're having fun with that last bit of Star Trek drama around here. . . but the other part of my mind boggles at the idea of someone actually sitting around and coming up with stuff like this.

So, you're either both just messin' with us and hoping for a response (like this one!) or Togo just has way, way, waaaay too much time on his hands.

But, based on his other threads here in the feedback area, I'm assuming it's the latter.

Let's dust this one off again:

duketogo.jpg

H

Edited by Hurin

So Togo, what do you have cookin' up for us next week?

I was thinking of posting up some pictures of me giving it to you in the can. :D

:lol: Now that statement made me laugh.

Edited by Gaijin

Seriously though, just another "suggestion" by Togo, backed up by Agent One. . . and yawned over by the rest of us.

Rinse. Repeat.

Obviously NOT yawned by the rest of us, since you added your 0.02

Maybe I'm wrong, but there is a hell of alot more Star Wars fans around here (or out there) than Trek fans. How about changing the subtitle to what it SHOULD say? B))

Hmmm, maybe because someone still thinks Trek is popular? In all fairness, I don't think it should be Star Wars regardless of the relative popularity of either Trek or Wars on MacrossWorld (I agree that Star Wars is far more popular here at MW however). Simply put, neither franchise is as popular as it once was and really, no one cares about Trek or Wars anymore. Popular film culture is all Matrix and Lord of the Rings, regardless of how I may feel.

It should really read (I am by no means a fan of any of the franchises I'm about to list; in fact I dislike them all) from Evangelion/Dragonball to Buffy/Angel/Stargate SG-1. These are easily the more popular examples of topics and represent current popular culture; by that I mean the last 5-10 years.

You know what the kicker here is? I wasn't rude, I wasn't bombastic, I wasn't being nasty. I even inculuded a smiley emoticon in my post. I just made a suggestion that really isn't some big major deal, and that other's seem to agree with.

I don't really know if you can call The Matrix "popular" anymore. I think people have seen it for what it is, alot of hype that went nowhere. Episode III will still pull down between 300 and 400 million. The DVD sales were huge. Star Wars still gets alot of attention in the media. To say no one cares about Star Wars anymore is a tad silly.

Edited by Duke Togo

If you guys diss me and I'm not allowed to talk about Gunbuster here anymore, I will leave. And don't say it's not relevant, Mr March. There are tons of Gunbuster fans on this site. In fact, I talk to more Gunbuster fans here than anywhere else. I think you should just leave well enough alone. Someone is going to post what they want to that's science-fiction or anime related regardless of what you change the title to.

Edit: If you want to change it, why not call it "From Akira to Star Wars"

Edited by Noriko Takaya

If you guys diss me and I'm not allowed to talk about Gunbuster here anymore, I will leave. And don't say it's not relevant, Mr March. There are tons of Gunbuster fans on this site. In fact, I talk to more Gunbuster fans here than anywhere else. I think you should just leave well enough alone. Someone is going to post what they want to that's science-fiction or anime related regardless of what you change the title to.

Oh, come on now, who doesn't like Gunbuster? Hell, I might even like Gunbuster more than Macross. I probably like it better than any other anime.

Akira to Star Wars works too.

Wouldn't it be better to go with an 'A-Z' theme to encompass all of Anime and Sci Fi. Thus I suggest: -

'From Akira to Zardoz' :D

Graham

Wouldn't it be better to go with an 'A-Z' theme to encompass all of Anime and Sci Fi. Thus I suggest: -

Graham

I was thinking, 'From Akira to Zeta (Gundam)'... :)

Truth to be told, what's wrong with the current forum title? The topics inside there are pretty diverse and the forum title reflects that. I don't really see a real reason for the change.

I don't really know if you can call The Matrix "popular" anymore. I think people have seen it for what it is, alot of hype that went nowhere. Episode III will still pull down between 300 and 400 million. The DVD sales were huge. Star Wars still gets alot of attention in the media. To say no one cares about Star Wars anymore is a tad silly.

The public is fickle my friend and the only thing that matters to the majority of the population is what's big "NOW". I always like to put it in perspective of female opinion, since most of the girls I date always seem to have a greater grasp of trends than myself. They tell me The Matrix and Lord of the Rings were cool. They also tell me Star Wars silly and Star Trek is for losers. I'm not saying I agree at all, that's just how the fairer sex that I hang with views their pop culture. Unfortunately, they know more the reality of current culture than I do. I may disagree with the quality of what's popular, but my ex's and the 32 million other people I live with tell me they know better. Such is life.

Now if we look back 20 years ago, Star Wars would have been cool (70's show anyone?) and Star Trek...

Well, okay, Trek was never cool and was always geeky :)

Back to my point, when one's finger is on the pulse of popular culture, it's not beating Star Wars. At one time it did, but no longer. When I say no one cares about Star Wars, it's a relative statement. No one talks or cares about Star Wars in my social circles, except me. They all discuss Buffy, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, and what not. Sure Star Wars is still around and making money, but its not on top anymore and no one really cares to talk about it. Hell, Trek was still around and making money five years ago and we all know how that turned out :)

Star Wars has two things going for it in terms of box office appeal; It enjoys a strong nostalgia base (one of the largest for a film fandom) and the reality that Star Wars is a mass appeal popcorn blockbuster. Because Star Wars has never tried to be anything more than what it is, it can get away with cheese, poor dialogue, and homogenization more than comparable film (such as the philosophically angled Matrix films or the period grounded Rings).

Praise is placed upon films like Lord of the Rings or Titanic (I swear to god). Nothing but bad press is given to Star Wars. Regardless of whether or not it's deserved, that's popular culture for ya. Take what you can from that, if you even care to face it ;)

Gunbuster is irrelevant.

Truth to be told, what's wrong with the current forum title? The topics inside there are pretty diverse and the forum title reflects that. I don't really see a real reason for the change.

Because then you have Akira (anime) and Zeta (anime), with nothing to show that the forum also includes Western Sci Fi, which is why I chose Zardoz to represent 'Z', as it is a Western Sci Fi movie, albeit a somewhat obscure one :D .

Actually, I agree there is nothing wrong with the present forum title. Anway, there is not enough space to type a forum title which acurately represents the forum content, otherwise you would end up with a title something like this: -

Other Anime & Sci Fi and err.......guns, yep big honkin' guns, oh and Gundam models and toys. Console games, yep lots of console games, Jet planes...zoom, zoom. Lastly, don't forget that aging Austrian former bodybuilder/actor tuned politician! :p

Graham

Duke, I bet it just tears you apart inside to know either Shawn or one of the early mods thought of Star Trek as THE representative of western Sci-Fi.... :lol:

Yeah, they could've said Star Wars or or any of a dozen other big titles, but NO, they chose Star Trek. :rolleyes:

I can't believe MW hasn't recognized your unique genius and made you a moderator by now. That'd be a great way to cut down on MW membership.

Because then you have Akira (anime) and Zeta (anime), with nothing to show that the forum also includes Western Sci Fi, which is why I chose Zardoz to represent 'Z', as it is a Western Sci Fi movie, albeit a somewhat obscure one :D .

Actually, I agree there is nothing wrong with the present forum title. Anway, there is not enough space to type a forum title which acurately represents the forum content, otherwise you would end up with a title something like this: -

Other Anime & Sci Fi and err.......guns, yep big honkin' guns, oh and Gundam models and toys. Console games, yep lots of console games, Jet planes...zoom, zoom. Lastly, don't forget that aging Austrian former bodybuilder/actor tuned politician! :p

Graham

Don't forget RT! If you don't mention RT in there, you're gonna let it loose on the rest of the forum! :lol:

Gunbuster is irrelevant.

Apparently not if Gainax has seen fit to make a rather sub-par sequel to the series which seems to be doing rather well in Japan right now.

And it goes right over his head... :)

I know, let's have a spelling contest :p

Graham

YES!!! YES!!!

The genius of Connery!

ZARDOZ

Duke, I bet it just tears you apart inside to know either Shawn or one of the early mods thought of Star Trek as THE representative of western Sci-Fi.... :lol:

Not at all, Major. But don't think I didn't get a chuckle out of you thinking so. Actually, I was rather expecting it... If trekkies are one thing, its predictible. Your response it pretty much along the same lines of why everyone laughs when we realize you can speak klingon, and you really don't get what's so funny.