Macross DVDs cracking!

Slugworth

• 2 weeks later...
yep bootlegs.

One good way to tell is if it is region free and has english and chinese subtitles.

this is usually a good sign that it is a bootleg.

edit: beat me to it JBO :D

I am JB, master of post sniping! All shall bow before my might!

MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

the DVDs of my third set (discs 7,8 and 9) have start to crack... I bought them just a year ago... <_< not even my Macross 7 bootlegs are that fragile... Any recommendation on what blank DVDs to use for doing a backup?

• 1 month later...

I've started to put my Macross discs in Memorex Thinpack DVD cases...they say that they're supposed to prevent DVD cracking...any truth to that?

the DVDs of my third set (discs 7,8 and 9) have start to crack... I bought them just a year ago... <_< not even my Macross 7 bootlegs are that fragile... Any recommendation on what blank DVDs to use for doing a backup?

The best DVDs for archival purposes are listed as Archival grade or Medical grade. They both offer a 100 year shelf life and the Medical grade offers superior scratch protection. They are available from all the major makers of DVDs but you will pay a price premium between 10% to 50%. I haven't checked but the Macross DVDs may need dual layer DVD-Rs to make copies, if so these are very expensive in Archival and Medical grade.

F.

Here's some info on TDKs:

http://www.tdk.com/corp/tucpress/112304_rsna_dvd.html

I haven't checked but the Macross DVDs may need dual layer DVD-Rs to make copies, if so these are very expensive in Archival and Medical grade.

Macross is single-layer.

By design, as Animeigo wanted maximum compatibility, and a lot of old players act squirrely with dual-layer media. A problem compounded by the fact that their data said that most people buying anime DVDs had older players, meaning the majority of their market had trouble with dual-layer disks.

You bought that bull about compatability? The truth was AnimEigo just wasn't using a production plant that did Dual layered. As soon as Bubblegum Crash came out, they've been dual ever since.

You bought that bull about compatability? The truth was AnimEigo just wasn't using a production plant that did Dual layered. As soon as Bubblegum Crash came out, they've been dual ever since.

Meh.

Was a good enough excuse for me.

Observation: Anime on DVD has BG Crash listed as coming out before Macross.

Meh.

That would be because AOD is listing the retail release, which was later than the direct pre-order release from AnimEigo.

Meh.

That would be because AOD is listing the retail release, which was later than the direct pre-order release from AnimEigo.

That doesn't make sense. I was running off the 9-disk set, which never HAD a retail release.

Besides which, the December 2001 release date matches teh reception of my set.

If, of course, you're talking about BG CRash, that makes things worse, as it makes Crash come out even FURTHER before Macross.

Edited by JB0

Hmm, I specifically remember an official statement around that time regarding a change in manufacturing process's or plants. Since AnimEigo's news only goes up to august 2002, I've written to find out just what was up.

Hmm, I specifically remember an official statement around that time regarding a change in manufacturing process's or plants. Since AnimEigo's news only goes up to august 2002, I've written to find out just what was up.

Crash could've been the test release for the new plant, while Macross could've been the last release for the old plant that they knew did good work.

At the risk of flooding Robotech's customer support team with defective Macross DVD claims...

Ok folks, I started this thread, now I have some more info. I emailed Robotech.com's customer support explaining my problem with the discs. They replied to me saying if I send in my old discs, they'd send me new ones. Extremely nice of them if you ask me.

So, I packaged my old discs for shipping, individual DVD cases and everything, and sent them off to Robotech to the address they provided me. I saved my original nine disc box so I could put the new disc cases in there. The new discs were sent to me several weeks later via FedEx. They even gave me a shipping number so I could track it. The discs they sent me were the three mini box sets, brand new and factory sealed.

Say what you want about Harmony Gold/Robotech, but I must say, that's some pretty damn good customer service. Being that I bought my discs from Animeigo (not Robotech.com), and several years ago, they could have easily just said, "Sorry we can't help you, but thank you for your intestest in Robotech products." But they didn't. I received a 100% replacement.

If you do decide to contact them, please be nice! Clearly state what is wrong, and ask if they can help. They handled my problem in the nicest way possible and certainly earned my respect.

Later...

Got a response back from AnimEigo, and naturally, a very vague answer was included. I did also ask about the disc cracking issue, specifcally if the reason for the occurance has been detected. And I quote:

It's been so rare and scattered that it is impossible to tell.

....At least we know HG will exchange them, at least while stock remains. But then any exchanges risk the same problem occuring a couple years down the line.

Edited by Keith

Mine are still fine, course I got this lil tear on the plastic on the covers but its only on the back lower corner, hardly noticable. Other then that my DVD's are actually still as good as they were when I bought them 2 years ago.

Sadly I have noticed cracks in a few of my discs as well, especially disc 9, the one I have played the most. I imagine that even if care is given to taking the discs in and out of their cases that there may be wear issues once the disc is inside of the DVD player when its held on the spindle for playback.

Kentucky Fried Movie DVD rot, cracking Macross discs, what's next?!

Sadly I have noticed cracks in a few of my discs as well, especially disc 9, the one I have played the most.  I imagine that even if care is given to taking the discs in and out of their cases that there may be wear issues once the disc is inside of the DVD player when its held on the spindle for playback.

Kentucky Fried Movie DVD rot, cracking Macross discs, what's next?!

Don't forget a big batch of 2003 ADV disc's rotting...

Edited by Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Sorta related...I was sorting those DVD's out today, and noticed that my DVD case inserts are fading...not a lot but slightly. I thought that was odd, since they are shielded from light being in a box.

Edited by Gaijin

• 2 weeks later...

My Macross discs are still fine, although my Urusei Yatsura volume 6 has some nasty cracks on ITS hub...gonna haveta see if Animeigo will replace it, or if I'm going to have to buy a new copy... :angry: