NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

The cockpit APPEARS to be made of a clear plastic..... look at the reflection on it in guardian.... I'm sure they just painted it for the proto shot... I hope..

..though, HG has a way of making all their products really cartoonish (BC cell shading, for example)

I HOPE this thing doesn't suffer from that. . .

Looks nice so far, but we all know of Toynami's track record. I'm not trusting the pics until someone reviews a production unit in their hands with copious amounts of pictures. That said, I've never been a fan of the Mospeada so....

vinnie

The cockpit APPEARS to be made of a clear plastic..... look at the reflection on it in guardian.... I'm sure they just painted it for the proto shot... I hope..

Agreed. I think everyone is just getting way too stressed over what is clearly stated (at Twin Moons anyway) to be "prototype pictures"; besides, it makes absolutely no sense to have an opening cockpit with removable pilot with an opaque canopy. Everyone should just chill out a bit and wait for pictures of the production toy. What I've seen so far, canopy excluded, looks really good...almost Yamato like; my only nitpick of the toy has nothing to do with its execution at all, but with the MSRP of $79.99...what the f**k is Toynamy thinking charging that much for something so small (1/55), even if it is limited to a 15k unit production run?

Edited by mechaninac

I hope you are right mechaniac... It would really ruin the appearance if the cockpit stays blue... <_

LOL, apparently over at Robotech.com the fans went berserk about the blue cockpit canopy, they just indicated that the test shot's opaque canopy is not the final version that that the production Alpha will feature a clear canopy and visible pilot/cockpit :)

Messageboard panic appears to have been averted for the time being!

I must admit, I was one of the panic-ers... :p

But honestly... This is the only reissue of the Alpha in many years, and I have been looking forward to Mospeada toys for a LONG time... I think some panic is justified. :unsure: maybe. But just a little.

Looks pretty good to me. The sensor on the shoulder bugs me, the seams are pretty big especially on the face, and the scale of the cylone and pilot need to be closer to the line art.

Oh, and the price is a little too high by 2x. I will own all of these, but not for $80 each.

Is it "Official" that a Tread/beta will be made?

It's offical that Toynami has stated that any Beta produced would depend on the sales of the Alpha. If the demand isn't there for the Alpha, they're not going to make the Beta.

Yeah but will the Beta connect with the Alphas?

The preorder page has pics, but here are the pics from toynami's site, which I've resized (to 30%) and compressed a bit. Battloid:

Funny thing is I was scrolling from the bottom of the page to the top and I could swear that I was looking at the legs of a super poseable.

I think it looks pretty sweet. I agree that $80 is way to much for the entire MPC line. ( I still wonder how much they are going to sell the Voltron lion sets for.) C'mon Toynami, when your LIMITED items can't retain their value doesn't that tell you something? The fact that none of your other MPC veritechs sold out after the 1st one doesn't tell you something about the price or quality?

Unfortunately, I got burned buying Rick's MPC in the early goings but I think this may be a different story so I'm going to pre-order it anyway. If they are decent then I'll buy the others in the after market for cheaper.

Is it "Official" that a Tread/beta will be made?

It's offical that Toynami has stated that any Beta produced would depend on the sales of the Alpha. If the demand isn't there for the Alpha, they're not going to make the Beta.

Yeah but will the Beta connect with the Alphas?

Tom Bateman said that if a Tread/Beta is made, then it would DEFINITELY link to the Alpha...

I believe his exact words were something to the effect of: "What good would it be to make a Beta if it didn't link to the Alpha?"

So I would say that is the plan if the Tread/Beta is produced.

Everyone is saying that these will be 1/55 and I know it's been advertised as a 1/55 toy but has anyone seen it stand side by side with a 1/55 mpc vf-1?

Toynami just ripped off the imai kits and I suspect did not even bother by scaling down the toy to 1/55 instead left it as the original 1/48 scale ofcourse this will be fine with me if it were true. If it is true I will have 1/48 alpha along with my 1/48 yammie along side by side. Besides, Robotech fans have never seen an Alpha side by side with a vf-1 veritech in the show so whatever Toynami/HG tells 'em they'll believe it to be.

Actually, the Alpha is truely a 1/55... The sculpt was based on the IMAI kit, but has been scaled down and modified. I saw a preproduction at the San Diego Comic Con, and it is smaller than a VF-1 at 1/55 scale.

Has anyone seen actual measurements though? A battloid height alone would be useful.

MPC Cyclones? Given the fact that they won't be released until after a possible MPC Beta, probably far too early for facts, just guesses. Such as like the Alphas, Toynami will probably toy-ify the transformable Imai kits instead of using the large Gakken toy. The clicher will be to see how Toynami handle the Shadow Fighter, as that might provide clues to see if they will go the extra mile to make them true instead of earlier head-swap versions, which may indicate if they will make a Rooky type Cyclone, unable to use the much of the stock Cyclone parts the other three styles use.

SP Cyclones? All we have is the roof banner annoucing them, no pictures, nothing else. Rumored they were to be released after the New Gen I-men, which appear to have missed their last reported Northern Winter 2003 release date, so it's all unknowns.

At least until Toy Fair...

Cyc

The clicher will be to see how Toynami handle the Shadow Fighter, as that might provide clues to see if they will go the extra mile to make them true instead of earlier head-swap versions, which may indicate if they will make a Rooky type Cyclone, unable to use the much of the stock Cyclone parts the other three styles use.

Hey Cyc,

I remember seeing somewhere that the Shadow Alpha WOULD be made accurate... Not like the Superposable head-swaps... I don't remember where I read this, but I know I did read it somewhere.

As for MPC Cyclones: I don't mind if they use the IMAI kits as a guide for the Cyclones. There is a thread in the model section here of an IMAI model someone built, and it looks a lot better than the Gakken version IMHO.

Hey Cyc,

I remember seeing somewhere that the Shadow Alpha WOULD be made accurate... Not like the Superposable head-swaps... I don't remember where I read this, but I know I did read it somewhere.

Not to be mister cynic, but they also said the SP Shadow Fighter would be too. it was very close... but not perfect. For the price paid, I was willing to let it slide, but the higher price point of the MPCs I'd be less likely to do that.

At any rate things change, look at the diecast MPC VF-1 debates or for a more recent example ADV's claims that RT Remastered would include subs...

Cyc

I've seen these things first hand and in my hand, and must say this: If you pick one up, you'll be shocked. Metal joints, and a lot of diecast. The pics photoshopped the cockpit, so it is clear. I also like the fact that the missile bays open. I think Toynami has gone all out for these toys. I'll definitely be in for these babies!!!

yes and also how big or SMALL is it compared to the VF-1 MPC? Would you stil say its worth it gfor 80$? Please tell us! How tight were the RATCHETS?(lets get this out the way before it comes out since I KNOW peopkle like me will complain lke hell about it....ratchets realy make it or break it as one of my deciding factors as I do not like loose joints AT ALL. )

Can some kind person please remind me just when exactly is the Blue MPC Alpha being released?

I sorta remeber it was either Feb, March or May(?), but I'm too lazy to reread all the way through the 26 pages of this thread again.

Graham

To answer some questions, the cyclone I believe goes into the chest area. As far as size is concerned to the 1/55 scale MPCs, it is somewhat smaller. Perhaps about 2-3 smaller. To be honest with you, the pics that everyone sees don't do it justice. And you cannot see all the diecast that went into this thing. If you have the superposeables, then you will be happy to know that the the movement of this toy is very close to that. All joints for the piece I saw were extremely fitted right. And this was the final design piece. I didn't get to see the figure or the gun, just the actual toy. If I had to say if it was worth $80, I'd really have to balance it out with $80 for the MPC VF-1s. With respect to that, I'd say yes. If you can spend $80 on the first set, this set will definitely be worh it. But in reality, I still bite my lip over $80 anyways. Remember this though, they made this at 1/55 scale for a reason. There is supposed to be another transformable mecha that attaches to the back that is much larger. :rolleyes:

Can some kind person please remind me just when exactly is the Blue MPC Alpha being released?

I sorta remeber it was either Feb, March or May(?), but I'm too lazy to reread all the way through the 26 pages of this thread again.

Graham

Last I heard it will be out the end of February.