NEW Official MPC Thread!!!

Surprise, surprise, and this is no April Fools joke. I was down at Software Etc. today to pick up a link cable for my spare GBA so my girlfriend could play Crystal Chronicals with me and some friends, and guess what they had? Nearly an entire set of used MPCs, the most expensive of which was $29.99 (for the YF-1R and the Fokker VF-1s), $15 for Rick's 1J, and a most surprising $9.99, yes $9.99, for Ben Dixon's VF-1A.

I so wanted to pick up that Dixon, even if the MPC is as bad as the worst detractors say it is, 10 bucks is not bad for it. It even had all of the parts and everything, and looked to be in good shape, aside from a scratched up and bent box. Unfortunately, I'm hurting for cash right now, and will just barely be making rent this month. In about a month or two I should be doing just fine again, financially, and if those MPCs are there, I'm picking up Dixon at the very least.

Nearly an entire set of used MPCs, the most expensive of which was $29.99 (for the YF-1R and the Fokker VF-1s), $15 for Rick's 1J, and a most surprising $9.99, yes $9.99, for Ben Dixon's VF-1A.

That not bad at all. With Ben at $9.99 you can make some nice customs. Like a Max VF-1, and TV color CF.

Uhhh...what does this have to do with MPCs?

Nada, it was originally used for the Battlecry Superposable box-art, though IIRC it also appeared as con advertising for the MPC fast packs.

Still staying off-topic, makes you wonder what the remastered Robotech Masters Saga will use for cover art, lots of MPC and new art for the Macross Saga volumes and MPC Alpha's on the way will provide it for New Gen, but no new ASC characters or mecha drawn...

Cyc

Maybe with the intro of the YF-1R, they'll make something new, like a heavy armored alpha or shadow Beta later on. In anycase, I'm not surprised they pushed the release back. It's almost common now to see that from all our favorite companies. But where did someone get the idea of last summer? I haven't heard that one yet.

it was slated for last summer. Check posts arounfd late 200 and feb 2003 during toyfair. IT was set for summer then delayed till fall then december then spring 04 to summer 04. I remember a lot of us being pissed. Mostly for being left out in the dark. Toynami aint competing with noone since they got the sole license for the damn thing. so theres no reason to worry about corporate espionage. Just spill the beans damn it!

Surprise, surprise, and this is no April Fools joke. I was down at Software Etc. today to pick up a link cable for my spare GBA so my girlfriend could play Crystal Chronicals with me and some friends, and guess what they had? Nearly an entire set of used MPCs, the most expensive of which was $29.99 (for the YF-1R and the Fokker VF-1s), $15 for Rick's 1J, and a most surprising $9.99, yes $9.99, for Ben Dixon's VF-1A.

And some of you folks are seriously gonna pay retail price for these Alpha MPC's?

Loco, man... that's just loco. ;)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. $30 seems like a fair and reasonable price for the MPC. Maybe a little less for the Alpha MPC since it's going to be smaller.

I just don't get how Toynami or Harmony Gold expect these toys to sell at 80 bucks a pop when you can get better for less? I am looking forward to the Legios MPC, but even though it will be the only toy of it's kind currently available, I still won't pay 80 bucks for one. I'd be hard pressed to shell out that much for an MPC Tread.

I'll wait and see if I can snag them at prices more like this, even if they're used and the box is all dinged up.

I just don't get how Toynami or Harmony Gold expect these toys to sell at 80 bucks a pop when you can get better for less?

And just where are you going to get a better Alpha fighter toy for less? I see no other options for a toy that's readily available.

And just where are you going to get a better Alpha fighter toy for less? I see no other options for a toy that's readily available.

Unfortunately for anyone who has to have an Alpha, the Toynami one is the only option short of hunting for the old ones...

For myself, I may get one, but if I do, I'll wait until it hits the aftermarket for less than retail.

If it doesn't do that, then I won't buy one. Toynami fooled me once with the MPC they won't get me again so easily. ;)

I'm not waiting. And since I've seen and handled it already, I'm gonna pay the $80 for the item in question. Of course, if I could find it cheaper off the get go, I'd be there. But this item will do well.

Personally, I care not one whit about the boxes. Toynami should offer them in brown paper bags to cut the cost :D

Graham

But that would cut their clientelle by half... we all know half of their customers get the toys becasue of the boxes! :p

I just don't get how Toynami or Harmony Gold expect these toys to sell at 80 bucks a pop when you can get better for less?

I apologize, I see how my post was unclear, I was talking about the VF-1 MPCs when I was talking about 'better for less', as I paid far less than $80 for nearly all of my Bandai and Yamato Valkyries.

I apologize, I see how my post was unclear, I was talking about the VF-1 MPCs when I was talking about 'better for less', as I paid far less than $80 for nearly all of my Bandai and Yamato Valkyries.

I paid about the same for the mpc's I bought as I did my bandai's... around $30. I've traded for some as well and only need the fokker and yr... in case anybody want's to sell me one at $30 :rolleyes:

shop around.... MSRP is never worth paying. Zoids are 50% off at TRU right now and some of the transformer reissues are on sale like track [$20 vs $30]. Why be the first on the block with a new toy when you can wait and get twice as much for your money. Stupid fokker going up in price... should have bought it at $45 before my friend did :unsure:

I'm not waiting. And since I've seen and handled it already, I'm gonna pay the $80 for the item in question. Of course, if I could find it cheaper off the get go, I'd be there. But this item will do well.

That's cool with me. But I'll be picking mine up when it's on clearance for around $30-$40.

Which is really great because I have absolutely no preference when it comes to Alpha colors. ;)

I think you folks are highly overestimating the number of Alpha fans out there.

I'm still not convinced that these will ever go as "cheap" as the MPC VF-1. After all, we live in a crazy world where people will pay THIS much for a "Rick Hunter" MPC. :huh:

Whoa 200.00 for the Rick MPC..damn..

If I buy an Alpha, I'll wait for the price to come down bit or some reviews. I don't think there are that many NewGen/Mospeada fans out there.

I'm still not convinced that these will ever go as "cheap" as the MPC VF-1. After all, we live in a crazy world where people will pay THIS much for a "Rick Hunter" MPC. :huh:

WOW! Maybe I need to sell mine. I hope they do not take it out of the box or they will be mad. :lol: I moded mine so maybe I could get more. :rolleyes: I still think the first MPC Alpha will do well in sales unless it gets leaked out before hand that it is not worth it.

I think that the Alpha will do great. There is nothing else out there like it except for the old expensive models and gakken alphas, so Alpha fans will probably snatch these up like hotcakes.

I don't know what to do. Wait til the price goes down, or pay full price. I was going to do that with the toynami bookends, but look how well it sold. And I think it's only been two months at the most and it's selling on ebay for about $400. It's ridiculous! Nothing Toynami sells this well.

But I don't want the same thing happening with the Alpha cuz that would really piss me off if I'm waiting for the price to go down. What to do. What to do. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

But I don't want the same thing happening with the Alpha cuz that would really piss me off if I'm waiting for the price to go down. What to do. What to do. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Well, the answer is easy unless you're a completist or want the first one that comes out (the Blue Stick one if I recall).

If you want the first one you're kinda stuck. If you wait, hoping to get it cheaper later, you may end up paying more for it later.

If you want one of the later ones you can relax a little and see what happens with the first one. If the first one sells out quickly, then you know to jump on early for whichever one you want. If the first one languishes then you know to wait on the others.

Personally I like the green one, so I'll wait and see how the first one does... I refuse to pay full price for it, (even if it does turn out to be worth it I don't feel like doing Toynami any favors after the MPC)... If I can get it cheaper later, great. If not, then I don't need one.

Not that many MOSPEADA fans??? I know there are many, many here, and on rt.com as well. Then to take into account that there are many who aren't saavy computer users and don't visit either site. I think the number of fans is either highly overestimated, or severly underestimated.

It's gonna do well. It's not like we have 5 different styles from 4 different manufacturers to pick from. There's one. So I hope all that really want one get one. And if there's some left over, I hope those that want it for less get it. :D

I'm still not convinced that these will ever go as "cheap" as the MPC VF-1. After all, we live in a crazy world where people will pay THIS much for a "Rick Hunter" MPC.  :huh:

True dat. :blink:

Of course I could've bought that same Rick MPC for about $25 less than a year ago, so it's all about timing. ;)

RTShark put it best - the plan is quite simple. Wait for Vol. 1 to come out, see what's good and bad about the toy, then just watch the prices... if it gets fantastic reviews and stays full price, good for Toynami.

But I seriously doubt it.

As for the numbers of Mospeada fans... I just don't see it. Sure, there's no competition, but you're talking about an anime that just simply does not have as many fans as Macross - even Macross as part of Robotech. The designs aren't as classic.

It isn't about how many options the Mospeada fan has, but rather how many people recognize the Alpha on sight.

Or maybe there's a huge Mospeadaworld website crowd out there... but they're deep in hiding, like the Freemasons. :unsure:

Edited by Blaine23

RTShark put it best - the plan is quite simple.  Wait for Vol. 1 to come out, see what's good and bad about the toy, then just watch the prices...  if it gets fantastic reviews and stays full price, good for Toynami.

But I seriously doubt it.

I'm with you on this one.

I'm not really willing to give Toynami a second chance without some pretty good indications that it's worth it.

After all the MPC VF-1 seemed really good until I actually got one into my hands. ;)

I stand by what I've said... If I can get an Alpha cheap and it gets decent reviews then I'll get one. I really don't see buying one for anything more than half off list unless it gets absolutely amazing reviews. It would have to get multiple Harry Knowles orgasmic type reviews for me to even consider paying full price for it.

And even then I'd still wait and see to find out where the price went.

Like I said, I like the Green one, which I think is number three so I've got plenty of time to see how the first ones do.

If Toynami is smart they will make this a quality product and do lots of advertising to increase demand from old fans and to make new ones since the ADV video of the original series is out already. For me to keep cost down they can get rid of the fancy box and card it for all I care. ;)

RT Shark, that proves nothing. There are very few SC fans even on rt.com. I know from my experiences that many people who remember RT, remember the 3rd series, and a singing girl in the first, or as I'm told. In essence, each retail manufacturer has to go with what the demand is for. Perhaps there is a large enough demand for these???

RT Shark, that proves nothing. There are very few SC fans even on rt.com. I know from my experiences that many people who remember RT, remember the 3rd series, and a

Well that was kinda my point. It doesn't prove anything. :)

As for the Alpha...

Demand is not as high for the Alpha as it is for the VF-1, I can guarantee that by a long shot.

There is some demand for it, yes. But enough to sell out the stock that Toynami produces with enough demand to make for aftermarket increases in the short term? I don't think that's likely.

Enough demand for it to retain it's value in the aftermarket? Possible, but who knows.

There is also the issue of Toynami having bad press to overcome as there was a lot of bad blood generated over the lack of quality in the MPC VF-1 line, a line that, for it's price had far too many issues.

If Toynami sells out the Alphas and they all sell for mucho bucks on Ebay, more power to them. I'm not buying, though. ;)

And I *like* the Alpha.

I think both Jasonc and RTshark have good points, but I'd like to elaborate with my own 2 cents worth of irrelevance:

* Yes, the 3rd generation, Mospeada, is the most popular with RT fans after the Macross Saga.

* Yes, Southern Cross is the least liked of the three. I doubt we will ever see the AJACS or the SPARTAS released in MPC form.

* I stayed away from the VF-1 MPCs for two reasons: There were better renditions available in the market place, and reviews of the MPCs were abismal. While I can't vouch for the quality of the Alpha MPCs, I can confidently say that there won't be a flood of different Legioss fighters in the market; that alone will ensure that anyone who wants a new Legioss/Alpha variable toy will HAVE to go with Toynami's offering. Wether or not this translates into mad sales for them only time will tell.

* 15K units per Alpha type may look like a large number; but in toy terms, it's a very limited run. Injection Molding tools, even aluminum ones, are made to spit out well over 100K pieces with negligible wear; while I'm not familiar with die cast dies, I think that they would have a similar life span. I'm pretty certain that there are more than 15000 fans with enough money, and nostalgia for Robotech, to eventually justify Toynami's release of this new line of MPCs. The argument that the unit run is the same as the VF-1 MPCs, and that they didn't sell well, does not hold much water because the market conditions are different (see previous).

* The Aphas success or failure will depend not on its scale or MSRP, but on the reviews the toy gets after its release. Toynami's bad rep for poor engineering and sub-par QC was their own fault, but here is a chance for them to redeem themselves; given that they did improve the VF-1s over time, I'm holding out some hope that the Alpha will be at least good, if not $80.00 good. For the reccord, I would have preffered 1/48 scale even if the price were raised another $15.00 (would sure look cool next to my Yammies), or a price of around $55.00 for the current 1/55 scale.

* As I've stated elsewhere before, I'm getting the first one to judge for myself (like I said above, I never got a VF-1 MPC, so I'm a bit less biased against their products than those who have a personal experience with them). After that, my decision to complete the set will depend on wether or not they impress or dissapoint me, and on how well the first one holds its value over time. I'll only get the others at MSRP, or near, if the toy is very, and I mean VERY, good. If they suffer from "Toynami syndrome" than I'll either pass or wait for the price to drop to around $35.00 before I bite again.

Cheers :)

Edited by mechaninac

According to Robotech.com, the first 3000 units of each Alpha toy sold through their website will have a limited-edition cell for that pilot, and all four of them will be able to be put side-by-side for a montage of the four pilots.

Is this the same thing as for the VF-1 MPC?

exacthg same thing but many polpe were turned off so theyd dint complete the montage/

What are you talking about here? I got all of the VF-1s, and all of the cells including the background... They completed the VF-1 montage...

As for the New Gen pilots... I'm sure the same will be true.