MasterPiece Collection v1.1

Dangard Ace

Hey guys, someone asked in another thread recently what color the YF-1R MPC was (Volume 6). I'm currently taking review pics for it for a website I'm working on and thought I'd post them here since a picture is apparently worth 1000 words right? Hopefully whoever asked the question will find their way to this thread.

jackmpc1smaller3se.jpgjackmpc2smaller1mh.jpgjackmpc3smaller7lm.jpg

Edited by jenius

• 3 weeks later...
Say whatever you will, the MPC has the best Guardian/Gerwalk mode of all VF-1 toys.

402783[/snapback]

Well I personally disagree as well as quite a lot of other Aussies. I am the casual of a local anime store which displays both the MPC and the Yamato 1/48 in a cabinet. People laugh at the MPC saying what a cheap imitation it is of the 1/48, and the Yamato beats it in all modes hands down. And these are only casual fans of Robotech.

Sorry mate, not much love for it.

post-356-1150038216.jpgpost-356-1150038185.jpgpost-356-1150038138.jpgpost-356-1150038150.jpgThese might be fan-made boxes but they're still pretty cool! I found them on a japanese Mospeada site. It also had all of Toynami's Alpha Fighter MPCs.

407025[/snapback]

Aren't those just packaged pics of the Alpha superposables?

Wow, quite the long thread. But great to read all the comments.

:)

I own one of each of the 4 Robotech MPC Alphas and have had the same QC problems that many others have posted. (Misery loves company).

:p

Despite this, I sincerely hope that Toynami releases the Beta fighter soon. But like many others, if it doesn't transform, nor link up to the Alpha, I doubt I'll buy it ... then again, who am I kidding?!

:p

post-356-1150038216.jpgpost-356-1150038185.jpgpost-356-1150038138.jpgpost-356-1150038150.jpgThese might be fan-made boxes but they're still pretty cool! I found them on a japanese Mospeada site. It also had all of Toynami's Alpha Fighter MPCs.

407025[/snapback]

Maybe Toynami released the Alpha superposeables in Japan?

A company called Epoch Toys distributed these in Japan in for Toynami.

407025[/snapback]

Maybe Toynami released the Alpha superposeables in Japan?

407054[/snapback]

Nah. The 1/60 has the best Gerwalk IMO.

Just curious, are you kidding or are you serious? Sometimes it's really hard to detect sarcasm on these boards. The way the legs rotate in the middle is pretty weak and if you have fastpacks you can't get that outward angle at all. Pretty lame in my book.

CF%20TRU%20small%2023.JPG

This picture is courtesy of www.anymoon.com and it's review of the original 1/60 releases.

Edited by jenius

Just curious, are you kidding or are you serious? Sometimes it's really hard to detect sarcasm on these boards. The way the legs rotate in the middle is pretty weak and if you have fastpacks you can't get that outward angle at all. Pretty lame in my book.

This picture is courtesy of www.anymoon.com and it's review of the original 1/60 releases.

407101[/snapback]

Exactly my point. Compared to that pic, the MPC Guardian A-stance is better and more anime-accurate, I think.

post-511-1150083945.jpg

Edited by CoryHolmes

C'mon. A 1/60 in Fighter or Battroid mode is good. Gerwalk is more awkward.

Not to mention, a 1/60 is also small. A big deal when you have limited space. It's big enough to play with, small enough to have more of them. 1/60s are good stuff.

407172[/snapback]

Still don't own a Yamato 1/60 valkyrie ... but will likely get a VF-0S soon!

407101[/snapback]

The Gerwalk of the 1/60 doesn't look that bad, your example pic just happen to be taken at bad angle.

Here is a better pic, it look pretty good to me.

post-1296-1150179970_thumb.jpg

Edited by F360°

Here is a better pic, it look pretty good to me.

You're right, the pic you're showing is at a better angle. The problem is, the two pics I posted (the MPC and the 1/60) are from approximately the exact same angle for each toy. That means the MPC when pictured at the same angle as the 1/60 looks better. I have no doubt that if I had a pic of the MPC from the exact same angle as the 1/60 you're showing the MPC would still look better. Don't get me wrong, I think both of these are just so-so toys but when it comes to a "which looks better in GERWALK/Guardian configuration?" debate I'm afraid the MPC is a pretty easy winner. Not to mention you can actually pose the MPC doing stuff in GERWALK where the 1/60 is absolutely useless doing anything other than standing in that mode.

More pics from my www.anymoon.com (not that they prove anything, I'm just trying to get the site some traffic :) )

Roy%20160%20small%2024.JPG

Roy%20MPC%2025%20small.JPG

Miriya%20Super%20MPC%2014%20small.JPG

Edited by jenius

Say whatever you will, the MPC has the best Guardian/Gerwalk mode of all VF-1 toys.

402783[/snapback]

407099[/snapback]

I could see the 1/48. The 1/60's Gerwalk is one of the least impressive.

409064[/snapback]

I concur. If you meant the 1/60 VF-0 then i would have to agree with you though. But the VF-1 1/60 were pretty weak in gerwalk.

gerwalk is a stupid mode anyway.  :rolleyes:

Lord K.

409095[/snapback]

haha i always thought it was the best, good blend of everything!

409108[/snapback]

I knew of the toys before I knew of the anime back in the early 80s. The box said triple changer. So im thinking like transformers astrotrain ect......but the pictures only showed what I thought to be a halfass transformerd valk. Not really a 3rd mode if you ask me. But gerwalk mode has actually grown on me. :lol:

Lord K.

I liked how in the story it was an accedental mode kind of "discovered" in the design.

that would be an intresting flight. "crap the lever is stuck half way, oooooooo shhhhhiiiiiiiii.... ... i'm ok!"

Here is a pic of my alpha MPC vs the Gakken Alpha. You be the judge.

EDIT: Hit the add button too fast. Anyways, Gakken is more sturdy than the toynami. The MPC seems a little fragile. As for a $200 BETA, Toynami can stick it.

post-894-1150753879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godzilla

EDIT:  Hit the add button too fast.  Anyways, Gakken is more sturdy than the toynami.  The MPC seems a little fragile.  As for a $200 BETA, Toynami can stick it.

409265[/snapback]

"The MPC seems a little fragile"?? Their rubbery stuff makes me think I'm playing with glass sometimes. :(:angry:

"The MPC seems a little fragile"?? Their rubbery stuff makes me think I'm playing with glass sometimes.

The hands are the only portion that are rubbery... and they're far more fragile than glass.

It's really way too complicated a toy for the scale it's done in and that comes out by way of build issues and easily broken bits. Visibly it's worlds better than the Gakkens though.

"The MPC seems a little fragile"?? Their rubbery stuff makes me think I'm playing with glass sometimes.

The hands are the only portion that are rubbery... and they're far more fragile than glass.

It's really way too complicated a toy for the scale it's done in and that comes out by way of build issues and easily broken bits. Visibly it's worlds better than the Gakkens though.

409317[/snapback]

Hard to explain, but their plastic, feels very rubbery and fragile to me.. just a descriptor, though.

The hands are... scary to play with. The arms feel like they would disconnect or snap (around the elbow especially). I like the design, it's a good engineering design, but the material used sucked. The material couldn't support the design.

The diecast in the torso doesn't do much, and I'm wondering about the legs. Could've used the 1/48 plastic and it would be better IMO.

I still want to get one MIB eventually. Do the wrists swivel?

No, poseability is defintely not the large Gakken's strong point. The arms do pretty well but the wrists don't swivel, the neck doesn't swivel more than 10% in either direction, there is no waist swivel point, and the ankles are so big there's not much that can be done with the feet/legs.