Macross Animeigo DVDs (I have my own set)

Bub

Good day.

These are facts:

I've started this thread thread in hopes that someone might answer my question. (click me)

Then it got a reply from The Shade: "If you're asking these questions because you plan on copying/pirating them, I"m afraid you won't find any help here. Most of us paid top dollar for them and they were worth every penny. Pirated versions would just be inferior."

Then the thread got locked. NOPE. I DO NOT PLAN on copying/pirating them. I Have My Own SET although I didn't pay top dollar for them because I bought a 2nd hand set.

Another Fact: I DO NOT HAVE a DVD ROM Drive for me to check the average size of the DVDs. That's why I was asking. I just want to know more about the product that I just bought.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I should have made it clear that I also have my own set when I asked the question the first time around.

If anyone knows the average size per disc or If anyone can point to me a site that discusses this technical matter, please PM me. Thank you very much.

Well, why do you want to know? And if you don't have a DVD-ROM, why not go buy one? They're quite cheap. You have to tell us why you want to know all of this because it still sounds like you want to do something none of us here want no part of. You can get your answer via PM but you're not telling us why you want to know this. And it still sounds like you wanna copy those disc you got. I'm sorry, but that's how I see it.

I know they're 1-sided, 1-layer disks. Which means 4.7 GB max.

Likely the actual used space is close to that, as it gives them the best quality product that way(higher compression = more artifacting, as MPEG is lossy), and Animeigo wasn't going to spend all that cash remastering just so they could FUBAR it all in the encoding process, especially as it's free usage.

They COULD have gone dual-layer, bumping the capacity to 8.5 GB. But many DVD players, mainly older ones, have severe troubles with layer transition, and they wanted disks that worked in the most players possible(this is the official reason that they stated at the time of the release, and it's their official standard for all DVD releases as I understand it).

And dual-sided just sucks.

Well, why do you want to know?

Why wouldn't you? Simple curiosity goes a long way.

You have to tell us why you want to know all of this because it still sounds like you want to do something none of us here want no part of. You can get your answer via PM but you're not telling us why you want to know this. And it still sounds like you wanna copy those disc you got. I'm sorry, but that's how I see it.

I read it as someone that likes to know about their purchase. I've asked similar questions enough times.

And if he were pirating it, wouldn't the download TELL him how much space there was, making this a pointless question?

And if he were pirating it, wouldn't the download TELL him how much space there was, making this a pointless question?

Compression. The file(s) could have been tarred, rarred, and/or even zipped. I've yet to see a DVD on the Internet that hasn't already been packed with some sort of compression scheme.

Argh matey! :rolleyes: You can never be too certain what people's motives are.

To me, there is only one legitimate use for copying:

-backing stuff up to leave your originals in mint condition. I do this with games I own that become harder to find, and I only use the copy to play the game with in case the original gets damaged, scratched and is unreadable. Keeping them in thier box increases the games' future resale value when I wish to sell it second hand or trade it in. For some really hard to get titles that are no longer being produced, this is really sensible. Of course like anything else it is open to abuse and this brings a bad name to all those whose intentions are not to pirate and try to profit from it by selling copies which takes profits away from others who are selling the orignals.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Argh matey! :rolleyes: You can never be too certain what people's motives are.

-backing stuff up to leave your originals in mint condition. I do this with games I own that become harder to find, and I only use the copy to play the game with in case the original gets damaged, scratched and is unreadable. Keeping them in thier box increases the games' future resale value when I wish to sell it second hand or trade it in. For some really hard to get titles that are no longer being produced, this is really sensible. Of course like anything else it is open to abuse and this brings a bad name to all those whose intentions are not to pirate and try to profit from it by selling copies which takes profits away from others who are selling the orignals.

I'm an advocate of the copying of out-of-print unavailable products.

Good Example: Metal Storm on the NES. It's not available, and not likely to be available in the future. Piracy of it hurts no one.

Bad Example: Legend of Zelda, also on NES. Available currently on GBA. Piracy of it hurts Nintendo, even if they ARE gouging the crap out of people on the NES GBA carts.

If reissues, ports, or remakes of products I've pirated show up, I make the effort to purchase the new product and legalize my piracy, even if I continue using the old copy(example: arcade ROM images I tend to emulate with MAME, even after purchasing commercial emulations of them).

Exactly. And even with emulation, there is no guarantee the emulators in particular will be glitch-free in some cases. To a diehard enthusiast, nothing beats owning an original complete with manuals, box, the way it was originally released.

Some games are encrypted so you will never see them emulated unless this is cracked and that could be years. I remember years ago when I was into emulation, (the first one I used were gameboy emulators and then arcade ones like callus - I was amazed I could get arcade roms working at full speed w sound on a crappy pentium 75) wishing somebody would please make a cps3 emulator so I could enjoy playing street fighter 3 as my local arcades never had this. :D

Fortunately, today you can buy this as a compilation in an anniversary pack which I've done, but during all those years of nothing (I even had the dreamcast version but the dreamcast itself died, making it impossible for me to play) I can sure as hell tell you that I would have done anything to be able to access the game. Whether or not it was legit or pirated since the game was so elusive. (no home port till the dc came out. No access to an arcade with a cabinet.) Am I hurting the company if the game is not even available? - hell no. It's a last resort, I WANT to give my money to them but they won't let me by releasing it. :D

The value of having an original also means the guy who holds onto to the item can later sell that item for a tidy profit, kept in as good condition as possible, but still legitimately privately enjoy the game he paid for through the use of backing it up to keep the original in good condition. (this was seen as normal back in the days when you loaded operating systems from unreliable floppy disks and used ONLY the copies, so the originals would not get damaged)

So if you are TRUE fan you can collect a bunch of games that are not popular or commercially successful without this danger that the company dies and goes out of business preventing you from ever being able to support them and access the games ever again. Not all games are mainstream 'popular classics' that are garuanteed to be re-released like nintendo's own titles, and just wishfully thinking they will appear again sometime in the future or be reissued is a risk I'm not willing to take with some titles.

Exactly. And even with emulation, there is no guarantee the emulators in particular will be glitch-free in some cases. To a diehard enthusiast, nothing beats owning an original complete with manuals, box, the way it was originally released.

True.

Emulation can go a good way in many cases, though.

Some games are encrypted so you will never see them emulated unless this is cracked and that could be years. I remember years ago when I was into emulation, (the first one I used were gameboy emulators and then arcade ones like callus - I was amazed I could get arcade roms working at full speed w sound on a crappy pentium 75) wishing somebody would please make a cps3 emulator so I could enjoy playing street fighter 3 as my local arcades never had this. :D

Hee.

Encryption scared people away from emulating the 7800 for a long time. Which was a pity, as the encryption didn't stop emulators, just homebrew authors.

The BIOS in a real 7800 read a code written into the cart based off the game contents. Bad code or no code = deck booting into 2600 mode. No BIOS = no code check, and as this is all the 7800 BIOS does it can be skipped without hurting things. But if you want to make your own 7800 games, you need the code generator(which has recently been found and released into the public domain).

Fortunately, today you can buy this as a compilation in an anniversary pack which I've done, but during all those years of nothing (I even had the dreamcast version but the dreamcast itself died, making it impossible for me to play) I can sure as hell tell you that I would have done anything to be able to access the game. Whether or not it was legit or pirated since the game was so elusive. (no home port till the dc came out. No access to an arcade with a cabinet.) Am I hurting the company if the game is not even available? - hell no. It's a last resort, I WANT to give my money to them but they won't let me by releasing it. :D

Exactly my thought.

The value of having an original also means the guy who holds onto to the item can later sell that item for a tidy profit, kept in as good condition as possible,

Maybe. Games like Combat and Super Mario/Duck Hunt are never going to be valuable. They're just too common.

but still legitimately privately enjoy the game he paid for through the use of backing it up to keep the original in good condition. (this was seen as normal back in the days when you loaded operating systems from unreliable floppy disks and used ONLY the copies, so the originals would not get damaged)
Yah. And people doing copy protection on floppy software took lots of crap over their blocking of backups.
So if you are TRUE fan you can collect a bunch of games that are not popular or commercially successful without this danger that the company dies and goes out of business preventing you from ever being able to support them and access the games ever again. Not all games are mainstream 'popular classics' that are garuanteed to be re-released like nintendo's own titles, and just wishfully thinking they will appear again sometime in the future or be reissued is a risk I'm not willing to take with some titles.

Even Nintendo's titles aren't guaranteed a re-release. You're never gonna see Gyromite show up again, for example.

And you're not going to see a good Donkey Kong release because Nintendo would rather just use an NES emulator to run the NES version, which is missing half the levels due to the ROM space limitations at the time it was made.

One of those things where you buy what's available for legitimacy, then continue using the arcade emulator anyways.

Argh matey!  :rolleyes: You can never be too certain what people's motives are.

I'm an advocate of the copying of out-of-print unavailable products.

The Macross DVDs are now out of print, unavailable products, both in the US and Japan.

The Macross DVDs are now out of print, unavailable products, both in the US and Japan.

While the AnimEigo Macross DVDs may now be out of print, it's not really accurate to call them unavailable, as they are still pretty easy to buy online from a variety of places.

Graham

While the AnimEigo Macross DVDs may now be out of print, it's not really accurate to call them unavailable, as they are still pretty easy to buy online from a variety of places.

Graham

Yeap. I have seen them here at Fry's and at my local anime mom and pop store.

I'm all for copying. Once you buy it it's yours to do with as you please. If Animeigo doesn't like it, they shouldn't have sold it to me. That being said, I would never sell the copies but I've considered making copies to keep and selling the originals.

Pesonally I don't understand why people care so much about copyrights, unless they're the holders of such copyrights. :rolleyes:

I'm all for copying. Once you buy it it's yours to do with as you please. If Animeigo doesn't like it, they shouldn't have sold it to me. That being said, I would never sell the copies but I've considered making copies to keep and selling the originals.

Pesonally I don't understand why people care so much about copyrights, unless they're the holders of such copyrights. :rolleyes:

Because some people still have a functioning sense of ethics and aren't scum who rip off the companies who create and make available the anime we enjoy, you cretin.

Pesonally I don't understand why people care so much about copyrights, unless they're the holders of such copyrights.  :rolleyes:

Because some people still have a functioning sense of ethics and aren't scum who rip off the companies who create and make available the anime we enjoy, you cretin.

Don't give me that PC ethics horseshit. I may be an un-ethical cretin but at least I don't have to resort to calling people names.:rolleyes:

Piracy issue and all that aside... it was a simple question. No need for a witchhunt to figure out people's motives.

People ask how to take apart a 1/48 valkyrie in the toy section all the time, should we jump to the conclusion that whoever asked is a bootlegger of toys and is meaning to come out with a cheaper version?

I know this board is open to the entire world, but the American right "innocent before proven guilty" should always hold some value every place.

I know this board is open to the entire world, but the American right "innocent before proven guilty" should always hold some value every place.

But if just one DVD gets copied, then the terrorists win. Can we afford to let that happen?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Doesn't god also kill a kitten each time a DVD gets copied as well? :p

Graham

But if just one DVD gets copied, then the terrorists win. Can we afford to let that happen?

Graham

Nah, but we "cretins" do. :p

for thr record I've never even been to Crete. ;)

Graham

what can i say? im a cat killer. oh i just killed your cat.

its only piracy when you do it on a pirate ship :p

Edited by Zentrandude

Graham

AAARRRGGGHHH matey,square the tops'ls and warm up the burner. :p

Graham

AAARRRGGGHHH matey,square the tops'ls and warm up the burner. :p

:D

With our 48x burner we sail the cyber seas in search of media booty. arrrrrrrr

exo your ava freaks me out. :p

Edited by Zentrandude

Well, why do you want to know? And if you don't have a DVD-ROM, why not go buy one? They're quite cheap. You have to tell us why you want to know all of this because it still sounds like you want to do something none of us here want no part of. You can get your answer via PM but you're not telling us why you want to know this. And it still sounds like you wanna copy those disc you got. I'm sorry, but that's how I see it.

Why do I want to know? Answering this question, again, I bought a second hand set. Now, I just want to make sure if I really got the real thing. I can never be sure, I might have gotten a bootleg set.

I even PMed a couple of members here asking them if the "volume 9 DVD" does not have the paper insert. Yep, like some of us here say, simple curiosity goes a long way and I am a person who like to know more about the things I buy.

"And it still sounds like you wanna copy those disc you got."

No I don't plan to copy the discs. Anyway, It' s none of anyone else's business if I wanna copy the discs. I bought the set and I'm going to do whatever I want with it. Trash it and flush down the toilet. Use them as amulets or whatever. Just as long as I know that I am NOT HURTING anyone. But ofcourse I would'nt trash the discs. I bought the set. It's my set. They're MINE.

I say again, I do not plan to copy the discs. :)

... But, Hhhmmmmmm...... That's sound like a great idea. :lol:

And thanks to the people who answered my technical question. :)

Why do I want to know? Answering this question, again, I bought a second hand set. Now, I just want to make sure if I really got the real thing.  I can never be sure, I might have gotten a bootleg set.

and ...

Another Fact: I DO NOT HAVE a DVD ROM Drive for me to check the average size of the DVDs. That's why I was asking. I just want to know more about the product that I just bought.

Here's some helpful info: If you're trying to determine if your set is a bootleg, then knowing the average size of the AnimEigo DVDs is useless without comparing it with the average size of your own set. Which you can't do since, as you noted, you "DO NOT HAVE a DVD ROM Drive" ....

Unless of course, you can get access to a drive that reads DVD-ROMs--but then, as you noted, you wouldn't need to ask us about the average size of the DVDs. So therefore, you don't have access to a DVD-ROM-compatible drive--but then, as you noted, you can't find out the average size of the DVDs without a DVD-ROM-compatible drive...so there's no need to ask us about the AnimEigo DVDs' average size to compare....

Unless of course, you can get access to a drive that reads DVD-ROMs--but then, as you noted .... Wait, let's try that again ....

You can see why we're wondering. Your statements are very confusing. ;)

Here's some helpful info: If you're trying to determine if your set is a bootleg, then knowing the average size of the AnimEigo DVDs is useless without comparing it with the average size of your own set. Which you can't do since, as you noted, you "DO NOT HAVE a DVD ROM Drive" ....

Oh don't worry, I'll find a way to check the size of my DVDs. ;)

I have a couple of friends who has DVD rom drives. :lol:

Unless of course, you can get access to a drive that reads DVD-ROMs--but then, as you noted, you wouldn't need to ask us about the average size of the DVDs. So therefore, you don't have access to a DVD-ROM-compatible drive--but then, as you noted, you can't find out the average size of the DVDs without a DVD-ROM-compatible drive...so there's no need to ask us about the AnimEigo DVDs' average size to compare....

Yeah I think I know where you think I'm coming from. You quoted me:

"I DO NOT HAVE a DVD ROM Drive for me to check the average size of the DVDs. That's why I was asking."

But that's NOT THE ONLY REASON why I was asking for the average size of the set.

Yeah maybe I wouldn't need to ask about the average size of the DVDs if I do have a DVD ROM drive. Maybe I would be saying something like this:

"Hello everyone who has the Animeigo DVD set. The average size of a DVD from my set is ........(so and so GB). I want to make sure if I bought the "real" set. So, did I buy a "real" set?"

Edited by Bub

See, now was that so hard to answer? If you wanted to know if it was a legit set, all you had to do was say so. Using disc size is a horrible method of determining what you have. As Opus said, look on the underside of the disc and look at the codes. You could have given us those codes to verify. You could have e-mailed Animeigo and asked the same thing.

uhm.. since copying a DVD would be a digital, bit to bit copy... it's not like there would be any size difference anyways... so knowing the size is completely meaningless in terms of determining if you got a bootleg or not.

I was under the impression that pirate series DVDs usually re-encoded the episodes to get more per disk.

Which means 4 eps a disk is a good sign of legitness, if it's right.

uhm.. since copying a DVD would be a digital, bit to bit copy... it's not like there would be any size difference anyways... so knowing the size is completely meaningless in terms of determining if you got a bootleg or not.

I was under the impression that pirate series DVDs usually re-encoded the episodes to get more per disk.

Which means 4 eps a disk is a good sign of legitness, if it's right.

unless they was fansubs that was ripped into avi before someone encoded them into a dvd again.